• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman
2 metroidvania: The Knight, Shantae
1 platformer: Dixie Kong
1 dungeon crawler: Grovyle
1 FPS / immersive sim: Big Daddy
1 run and gun: Marco

And if it wasn't already an assist trophy 1 action-adventure: Skull Kid

Staarih

Smash Master
Looks like No More Heroes 1 might be coming to Switch.

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/08/no-more-heroes-rated-for-switch-in-taiwan

Another possible direct coming soon?
Cool, NMH is a series I really want to dive into so hopefully all the games will be available for the Switch at some point.

I also feel like Travis is a good candidate for Smash. While probably not going in full-on like with Bayonetta, I feel like Nintendo is trying to push No More Heroes as a bigger title for their system (though I guess NMH3 is, like, one of the only games we even know is coming so that could also explain it...). Anyway, it has that vibe of Nintendo taking the series ”under its wing”, to me at least. But we’ll see.

And as for a Direct incoming? Maybe. I’ve given up even trying to speculate or anticipate one lol.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Professor Layton is slept on HARD
Level 5 in general I don't see much in speculation even though people talk about Koei Tecmo and other Japanese game companies (which is fair to some degree, Hayabusa for Smash babyyyy)

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Level 5 in general I don't see much in speculation even though people talk about Koei Tecmo and other Japanese game companies (which is fair to some degree, Hayabusa for Smash babyyyy)
Level 5 stuff is slept on cause they themselves make their own IPs slept on

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
We'd probably hear more from Level-5 if they themselves weren't currently under dev hell with Inazuma Eleven...
Quite a few companies have been pretty quiet the past couple years like Retro and even Nintendo, COVID-19 being thrown into the mix doesn't really help matters much either...

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace

Arcane Jill

Smash Apprentice
Level 5 stuff is slept on cause they themselves make their own IPs slept on
Still waiting for Dark Cloud 3...
Think the most likely Level 5 rep is Jibanyan (Yo-kai Watch) followed by Layton. While it's popularity wanned over time, Yo-kai is still quite popular in Japan and I can still see it happening.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
My most wanteds categorized by genres.

3 RPG: Elma, Tifa, Weavile
2 Platformers: Crash Bandicoot, Shantae
5 Action/Adventure: Midna, Skull Kid, Impa, Akira Howard, Lara Croft
1 Survival/Horror: Jill Valentine
1 FPS: Master Chief
1 Fighting: Yoshimitsu
1 Racing: Excitebiker

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Most wanted by genre:

RPG: Isaac
Platforming: Crash Bandicoot
Action/Adventure: Kratos
Horror: Leon Kennedy
FPS: Doomguy or Master Chief
Fighting: Nightmare (Soul Calibur)
Racing: Excitebiker
Visual Novel: Phoenix Wright
Run and Gun: Bill Rizer (Contra)
Metroidvania: Alucard
Beat em up: Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)
Rhythm game: Elite Beat Agents
Life Simulation/God game: Spore creature
RTS: Civilization commander
Puzzle: Arle Nadja
Hack and Slash: Dante
Dungeon Crawler: Isaac (Binding of Isaac)
MMO: World of Warcraft character
Tower Defense: Crazy Dave (Plants vs Zombies)

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
I feel like one of the few unshattered ceilings for a Smash DLC is "character from an already represented game". We've had returning cut characters, new third-party franchises, new Western franchises, new first-party franchises, and new worlds from existing franchises. I'm not sure if we've actually had any new genres added through DLC, or if Nintendo even think about that, but it would be closer to fitting with their philosophy so far.

I guess that's what has me down about Bandana Dee or Dixie Kong's chances despite being at the top of my want list. They're popular enough and could fit in well, but are they "new" enough? Nobody's going to fall for "oh he represents Star Allies, totally".

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I didn’t know we were talking about Tales really, hence the....

I read half a post before jumping in sooo yeah I don’t know who was arguing what, including myself really. To jump into this sequel discussion about Pokémon and Zelda though, I think non-humanity plays a role in a Smash context because the moveset potential is more “visible”.
Lastly, not aimed at you or anyone specifically but lies at the periphery of the argument, is that ignorance doesn’t have to be automatically bad. People cannot possibly know about everything and sometimes ignorance is towards something you didn’t know you wanted yet. I’m very vague on Tales series, so my gut reaction can sometimes be “hah, anime swordfighter with spiky hair. sacrilege!“ (my gut is a prick in that regard) while his core fighting style is probably deeper than that. (Though, to be the negative nancy again, I wonder how dual wielding would work in a 2D plane like Smash. I know Min Min does it but that’s moreso controls of ARMS rather than something inherent to dual wielding I feel.)

So yeah, question to all: What does Tales play like? What meters should I expect? Any animations you think will make it in? Gimmicks?
I mean, I agree with you. I myself said multiple times here that it's impossible to know everything. No one's aware of all franchises and characters. We're constantly learning, and I never meant that not knowing a character or a game series is bad and means that you're a bad gamer.

But that's one thing and another thing, is being proud of your ignorance in the bad sense, acting mean towards the character or the people who likes him while not knowing **** about the character or the games he cames from. I assume we can agree that this, is just bad.

I myself I wasn't very familiar with Banjo's games, never played the N64 games, so despite knowing the character and the games for years, I was probably mostly ignorant about B&K as a character and their games. For that reason I wasn't ecstatic when he was announced, but that isn't something that allowed me to jump into the internet and start complaining about how Banjo is a wasted slot, why he's a bad pick or insulting their fans.
I believe the key difference is there. People seem to think that they're allowed to act like jerks just because a new character in a videogame wasn't the one they wanted. And that way of thinking, that 'culture', needs to stop, even if we're accustomed to it since years. Being accustomed to something doesn't mean it's okay.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm not sure if we've actually had any new genres added through DLC, or if Nintendo even think about that, but it would be closer to fitting with their philosophy so far.
Not in this game but Ultimate in general isn't great at adding new genres to the mix, anyway.

In Smash 4, we got Bayonetta as our first action hack and slash fighter.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm hoping that the No More Heroes news means we'll get both NMH1 and 2 on the system. Desperate Struggle is a brilliant game that only is available on the Wii right now. It'll be awesome to be able to play every NMH game on a single system and hopefully this would introduce a whole bunch of people to one of my longest Smash wants.

I refuse to believe in Travis's chances until the moment his trailer starts playing, but he's my most-wanted and if he gets in I WILL cry. But even if he doesn't, being able to play all the games on Switch would be a nice consolation prize.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
if you had to add 5 more pokemon reps who would it be and why?
Decidueye because it looks cool
Sceptile because it looks cool
Salamence because it looks cool
Gengar because it looks cool
Scizor because it looks cool

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Smash Ultimate has sold nearly 14 million copies which is a little less than 10% of the userbase of the best selling console of all time. There's a good chance those other communities have Smash fans too
That still doesn't mean everyone who plays a video game plays Smash though. 14 million is a drop in the bucket relative to the 2.7 billion people who play video games. Although there may be Smash fans in these communities who would otherwise be unaccounted for a poll, the risk of getting data from people who don't actually play Smash and applying it to the Smash fanbase as a whole is still largely relevant.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
  • Meowstic - Favorite Pokemon
  • Ninetales - Again, one of my favorite Pokemon
  • Victini - Once again, another fav of mine, plus Gen V representation
  • Eevee - Feels like the most notable mon not currently in the roster
  • Cinderace - it's cool

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I mean, I agree with you. I myself said multiple times here that it's impossible to know everything. No one's aware of all franchises and characters. We're constantly learning, and I never meant that not knowing a character or a game series is bad and means that you're a bad gamer.

But that's one thing and another thing, is being proud of your ignorance in the bad sense, acting mean towards the character or the people who likes him while not knowing **** about the character or the games he cames from. I assume we can agree that this, is just bad.

I myself I wasn't very familiar with Banjo's games, never played the N64 games, so despite knowing the character and the games for years, I was probably mostly ignorant about B&K as a character and their games. For that reason I wasn't ecstatic when he was announced, but that isn't something that allowed me to jump into the internet and start complaining about how Banjo is a wasted slot, why he's a bad pick or insulting their fans.
I believe the key difference is there. People seem to think that they're allowed to act like jerks just because a new character in a videogame wasn't the one they wanted. And that way of thinking, that 'culture', needs to stop, even if we're accustomed to it since years. Being accustomed to something doesn't mean it's okay.
As long as people don’t claim their gut feelings as fact or insult fanbases, I think most things are fair game. There’s a line between acting like a jerk and having a negative opinion, though I agree the fanbase as a whole conflates the two an unhealthy amount.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I stand corrected then, which emphasizes it further
That still doesn't mean everyone who plays a video game plays Smash though. 14 million is a drop in the bucket relative to the 2.7 billion people who play video games. Although there may be Smash fans in these communities who would otherwise be unaccounted for a poll, the risk of getting data from people who don't actually play Smash and applying it to the Smash fanbase as a whole is still largely relevant.
I'm curious where the 2.7 billion statistic comes from and how that's formed, but it's still a valuable resource nonetheless. If those people who don't play Smash and aren't interested in it are given a poll, wouldn't they just ignore it? If you post a Smash poll in a community of say Halo fans, you'd obviously get Master Chief votes but those votes would only be put in because those people had enough interest to vote on it, be it because they're fans of Smash or interested but haven't gotten around to it yet, limiting it to people who post about Smash daily severely limits what kind of results you'll get too, look at NeoGAF/ResetEra, when a Smash poll was shared across the whole site, do you know who was popular on there? Bayonetta, a character everyone on this site dismissed due to our own clouded judgements and our expectations on what are 'correct' options. A different community who isn't as heavily invested in what the core fanbase believes should happen would vote for their favourites.

TLDR: Nou, limiting your pool of options to die hard fans isn't objectively good

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
Looks like No More Heroes 1 might be coming to Switch.

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/08/no-more-heroes-rated-for-switch-in-taiwan

Another possible direct coming soon?
Well this sure is Somthing maybe we’ll get new info soon maybe it’ll be another partners showcase however I get the feeling nmh3 will

in regards to smash I just can’t see Travis in anymore
I just think it’s gonna get a promotional spirit event like dxm & mana
It’s like the first thing people do when they see a big new game coming to the switch in ultimates dlc life span they say that said character is coming
New game =/= Guaranteed to promoting a character for smash
Besides 3 isn’t even published by Nintendo

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm not crazy familiar with Pokemon beyond gen. 3. I've been meaning to change that, but I need to find the time to sit down and play through Pokemon Y. Still, assuming that they could be added regardless of whether or not they're Pokeball summons...

-Genesect - it's very different from other Pokemon, and it seems like bug-type Legendaries don't show up particularly often

-Mimikyu - I feel like it could be like the Dan Hibiki of Pikachu - not in the sense that it's a low-tier character, but in the sense that it's trying to imitate Pikachu's moveset but not doing a great job at it.

-Grovyle - it seems like this would kill two birds with one stone. Not only would we have a gen. 3 Pokemon included, but from what I recall, Grovyle's one of the main characters in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, so it could also reference that.

-Garchomp - by my understanding, it's a popular Pokemon, and it's playable in Pokken Tournament. (I had Totodile in this spot before realizing that it would be a somewhat random choice, and I couldn't really justify it)

-Chandelure - I know nothing about it, but it's got a unique design, and it was playable in Pokken Tournament.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
-Mr. Rime
-Scizor
-Golisopod
-Gardevoir
-Zoroark

The reason is I like those Pokémon and to represent new generation (gen 2 is only rep by a "clone" and gen 3, 5 and 8 isn't represented). I also want more type variety (ice type and bug type).

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Weavile-evolved form of my favourite pokemon
Garchomp-favourite ground type
Scizor-favourite bug and steel type
Heracross-favourite fighting type
Sceptile-favourite grass type

I like these mons and they'd be cool in Smash...pretty much

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
  1. Meowth - Classic Pokemon
  2. Eevee - One of the most iconic Pokemon
  3. Blaziken - Personal bias + Hoenn needs a rep
  4. Gothitelle - Personal bias + Unova needs a rep (though realistically the Gen V rep should've been Zoroark)
  5. Decidueye - Should've gotten in

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
- Cinderace (Most wanted Pokemon, its rad as can be)
- Mawile (Heckin' adorable)
- Meowth ('Cause it's Meowth)
- Mew (Was a partial inspiration for my name, so it would be cool to actually play as it)
- Falinks (It's the best Galar Pokemon)

SKX31

Smash Master
I stand corrected then, which emphasizes it further

I'm curious where the 2.7 billion statistic comes from and how that's formed, but it's still a valuable resource nonetheless. If those people who don't play Smash and aren't interested in it are given a poll, wouldn't they just ignore it? If you post a Smash poll in a community of say Halo fans, you'd obviously get Master Chief votes but those votes would only be put in because those people had enough interest to vote on it, be it because they're fans of Smash or interested but haven't gotten around to it yet, limiting it to people who post about Smash daily severely limits what kind of results you'll get too, look at NeoGAF/ResetEra, when a Smash poll was shared across the whole site, do you know who was popular on there? Bayonetta, a character everyone on this site dismissed due to our own clouded judgements and our expectations on what are 'correct' options. A different community who isn't as heavily invested in what the core fanbase believes should happen would vote for their favourites.

TLDR: Nou, limiting your pool of options to die hard fans isn't objectively good
The 2.7 Billion figure comes from this article. A large chunk of it is China's and India's huge mobile markets (China also has a very strong computer user base and a smaller but noticeable console fandom). PUBG Mobile is absolutely enourmous in India for example - 180 million downloads - while Peacekeeper Elite (the version of PUBG Mobile released in China) accounts for 53 % of PUBG Mobile's revenue. The SEA (SouthEast Asia - Indonesia, Thailand, Phillipines etc.) region also has a large gaming population. Thus the focus on Asia in this response.

While most of those 2.7 billion don't have their own consoles, play on a shared computer or prefer the F2P mobile games (due to the upfront costs consoles have, some preferring Internet cafés etc.) that number still says that there's a lot of room for Smash / Nintendo in general to grow. Nintendo officially released the Switch in China last year, and they want to tap more into this:

According to the estimation of Nintendo, the company may have sold three million Switch devices in China, covering both official Chinese edition and non-Chinese editions.

The company is very satisfied with the sales of Switch in the Chinese market; meanwhile, it mentioned that the sales scale is not big. Nintendo said that it took time to expand the Chinese market and they hoped to extend the life cycle of Switch. In addition, Nintendo said they would like to communicate and exchange with certain software in the Chinese mobile market.
This was in January, before the release of AC New Horizons - which was a major success in China. And just as Ring Fit saw a major surge there too due to the lockdown. (And no, New Horizons being subsuquently blacklisted didn't stop it).

The Switch is not officially released in India (and apparently it's very difficult to get a hold of a console there), and Nintendo is generally not very aware of "Other" regions (Those beyond JP / Americas / Europe). That said, the Switch has a strengthening foothold in the SEA region - and there are a few SEA members on this board:

gaming-content-vn-draft-4-02_dq1j.png
Source. (1,5 million searches throughout the region's shopping sites - small given the combined 600 million strong population, but the interest still exists. Hong Kong's included here because the source group operates there too.)

It's going to be very difficult to say if Nintendo's efforts to expand into other regions - and growing interest in the Switch in said other regions - impact FP2, but it is a strong possibility when Nintendo's shown interest in it.

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
1. Buzzwole/Pheromosa - The Ultra Beasts is probably for me the most interesting concept within Sun & Moon. Out of all of the Ultra Beasts, my favourite concepts out of all the beasts are between Buzzwole and Pheromosa.

2. Hitmonchan/Hitmonlee - My favourite fighting type Pokemon.

3. Genesect - One of my most interesting legendary Pokemon.

4. Meowth - Would be a good rival for Pikachu.

5. Toxtricity/Sir'Fetched - Favourite concepts in Sword & Shield.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
1. Heracross - Always been a favorite of mine. Mega Evolution makes for an obvious Final Smash.

2. Gengar - One of the most iconic Pokémon. Ghost shenanigans could make for an interesting moveset.

3. Archeops - Gen 5 doesn't have a playable character yet. My favorite Pokémon from that gen is Golurk, but I'm not sure if he would work. Archeops would be interesting, but would probably be the opposite of Lucario (becomes weaker when he has a lot of damage).

4. Deoxys - Gen 3 also doesn't have a Pokémon yet. I pick Deoxys, because of his multiple forms. Would probably work like Monado Arts.

5. Dragapult - I know nothing about Gen 8, but this guy looks alright.

My favorite Pokémon is Snorlax. I didn't pick him, because I don't think he would translate well to Smash.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
  • Nidoking, because it's my favorite Pokemon period
  • Shedinja, because it would have several matchups that are guaranteed wins (albeit at the cost of several that require literally perfect defensive play.)
  • Infernape, because we need a third Goku on the roster
  • Froslass because I want more ice-based fighters and she's a yuki-onna which would be p cool
  • Sylveon, because the last fond memory I have of Pokemon was the whole fairy-type leak and debate era

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
The Genre talk got me thinking about the genre distribution of my most wanters. Going off the top ten, there's

• 4 platformers (Bandana Dee, Megaman X, Marx, Kamek)
  • 2 RPGs (Frisk, Fawful)
  • 1 Dungeon Crawler (Grovyle)
  • 1 Puzzle game (Maxwell)
  • 1 Sandbox (Steve)
  • 1 Visual Novel (Phoenix Wright)
I wasn't expecting that big of a platformer bias. Granted, only one of those come from a "standard" platformer, but still.
If I'm doing mine:
  • 3 RPG: Isaac, Elma, Sora
  • 2 Plateformer: Shantae, Waluigi
  • 1 Tactical: Advance Wars rep
  • 1 Visual Novel: Phoenix Wright
  • 1 TPS: Ratchet & Clank
  • 1 STR: Thrall
  • 1 Sandbox: Steve
That's 2 existing series and 8 new ones.

Mawile.

Eventually Froslass.

And more quadrupedals in general.

Last edited:

toonito

Smash Ace
Meowth - if not for :kirby64: and :jigglypuff64: being similar thus easier to clone IMO he should've been the other Pokemon rep in 64
Scizor - cool design
Blaziken - cool design my pick for Gen 3 rep
Zoroark - cool design my pick for Gen 5 rep
Gym Leader Bea - potential for unique twist on :ultpokemontrainer:my pick for Gen 8 rep

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
The 2.7 Billion figure comes from this article. A large chunk of it is China's and India's huge mobile markets (China also has a very strong computer user base and a smaller but noticeable console fandom). PUBG Mobile is absolutely enourmous in India for example - 180 million downloads - while Peacekeeper Elite (the version of PUBG Mobile released in China) accounts for 53 % of PUBG Mobile's revenue. The SEA (SouthEast Asia - Indonesia, Thailand, Phillipines etc.) region also has a large gaming population. Thus the focus on Asia in this response.

While most of those 2.7 billion don't have their own consoles, play on a shared computer or prefer the F2P mobile games (due to the upfront costs consoles have, some preferring Internet cafés etc.) that number still says that there's a lot of room for Smash / Nintendo in general to grow. Nintendo officially released the Switch in China last year, and they want to tap more into this:

This was in January, before the release of AC New Horizons - which was a major success in China. And just as Ring Fit saw a major surge there too due to the lockdown. (And no, New Horizons being subsuquently blacklisted didn't stop it).

The Switch is not officially released in India (and apparently it's very difficult to get a hold of a console there), and Nintendo is generally not very aware of "Other" regions (Those beyond JP / Americas / Europe). That said, the Switch has a strengthening foothold in the SEA region - and there are a few SEA members on this board:

Source. (1,5 million searches throughout the region's shopping sites - small given the combined 600 million strong population, but the interest still exists. Hong Kong's included here because the source group operates there too.)

It's going to be very difficult to say if Nintendo's efforts to expand into other regions - and growing interest in the Switch in said other regions - impact FP2, but it is a strong possibility when Nintendo's shown interest in it.
To play devil's advocate for a second: there's a big difference between tapping into an untapped market (like an official Switch release in China) and tapping into a market that doesn't care. For example, Sakurai's Banjo & Kazooie presentation made the Xbox trend for a little while in Japan, but it's a bit of a stretch to say it made the hardcore Xbox crowd have any interest in Smash - the characters simply didn't serve that purpose.

Even characters who take the Smash fandom by surprise, like Bayonetta and Cloud, have an arguably bigger staying power with it than, say, Gordon Freeman.

While it's nice to expand the playerbase, the general overlap must be taken into account, especially because there's no way to guarantee that you'll be able to sell to all - or even the majority - of that support base you're crossing over with.

Hell, as someone who supports a character with zero current Nintendo overlap, I'd argue this is probably one of the reasons why Riot is doing League spinoffs instead of just making new IPs - that way they can branch into new markets, but also stay safe with a portion of the audience they already have.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Toxtricity- A pretty sick punk Pokemon with a unique typing and a potential moveset and personality we haven't really seen in Smash yet. Need I say more?

Sceptile- My most wanted Gen 3 Pokemon. I always thought Charizard/Greninja/Sceptile would be the fully evolved trio that makes the most sense.

Wobbuffet- A fun Pokemon that could have a unique fighting style. Team Rocket references would be rampant with it.

Gengar- There's still a number of Gen 1 Pokemon I wouldn't mind seeing, mainly Gengar. I mean, who doesn't like Gengar?

Hoenn Trainer- Blaziken, Grovyle, and Mudkip is a great trio. Out of all the potential trainers from the regions, Hoenn is the one I think has best potential lineup.

Honorable Mentions- Scizor, Grimmsnarl, Snorlax, Deoxys, Zygarde, Gardevoir/Gothitelle, Plusle and Minun, Garchomp, and Weavile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom