• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
On the topic of Dark Horses, I think an Undertale rep might have a valid shot. The reaction to :nessecho: was stronger than most full characters, I could see Nintendo wanting to capitalize on it by adding an actual rep. I'm not putting any money on it or anything, but I think it might be on the table.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
On the topic of Dark Horses, I think an Undertale rep might have a valid shot. The reaction to :nessecho: was stronger than most full characters, I could see Nintendo wanting to capitalize on it by adding an actual rep. I'm not putting any money on it or anything, but I think it might be on the table.
I doubt that, mainly because they're already selling Sans, arguably the most recognizable character in the game, AND Megalovania, which is unambiguously most recognizable song in the game. Wither you get the same song twice, or THE Undertale song is sold separately. It doesn't make any sense. A Mii to go with Frisk or whoever, I could understand, but a Mii AND a song before a fighter? I highly doubt it.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
As for genre selection game

FPS: Master Chief
Action Adventure: Lara Croft, Dante, Ryu Hayabusa
Open World: Ezio Auditore
Visual Novel: Phoenix Wright
Virtual Pet: Agumon

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Curious question to everyone. Who do you think is the most slept on or dark horse pick this Pass could have?
Most slept on pick IMO is Dovahkiin. Skyrim is one of the most popular games of all-time. It’s been one of the most influential games of the past decade influencing amazing games like Witcher 3 & even Breath of the Wild. It’s even popular in Japan. Bethesda’s been really close to Nintendo as well. It’s crazy that people don’t talk about Dovahkiin more.

Though, the Vault Boy Mii costume gives me some hesitation about Dovahkiin. Fallout is Elder Scrolls’s sibling series, so it would’ve made a lot of sense to add Vault Boy alongside Dovahkiin. But who knows, maybe they want to keep us on our toes?

Dark horse pick is any western character that isn’t Crash, Doom Slayer, Master Chief, Steve, Rayman, Shantae or Lara Croft.

There’s a lot of Japanese characters that could fit this but I feel some of those still get some discussion. No one discusses the possibility of someone like Commander Shepard, Joanna Dark or Chell.

I mean not even I expect it tbh, so I think it would shock everyone.

The Genre talk got me thinking about the genre distribution of my most wanters. Going off the top ten, there's

• 4 platformers (Bandana Dee, Megaman X, Marx, Kamek)
  • 2 RPGs (Frisk, Fawful)
  • 1 Dungeon Crawler (Grovyle)
  • 1 Puzzle game (Maxwell)
  • 1 Sandbox (Steve)
  • 1 Visual Novel (Phoenix Wright)
I wasn't expecting that big of a platformer bias. Granted, only one of those come from a "standard" platformer, but still.
  • 2 FPS (Master Chief & Doom Slayer)
  • 2 Action RPG (2B & Sora)
  • 2 Platformer (Crash & Shovel Knight)
  • 1 Action (Dante)
  • 1 Horror (Jill/Leon/Claire)
  • 1 Survival/Simulator (Steve)
  • 1 Bullet Hell/RPG (Frisk)
There’s a lot of characters there that are seemingly out of the running (Slayer, Sora, Shovel Knight, RE rep & Frisk) but oh well.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Didn't they literally announce the Sans Mii costume and that more fighters were coming on the same day??

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Ye age old ainme swordsman argument.

I feel like people always talk about game genre and aesthetics but they never ever talk about archetype. By archtype I mean the role they play. Many JRPGs have "the chosen hero of destiny" Brave, young, attractive. Bringer of light, slayer of darkness.

Yadda yadda yadda.

On the other end of the spectrum you have the cartoon platformer. Fun loving, bouncy, often anthro. Has to rescue the princess/sister/boyfriend/bunch of bananas from the big ugly meanie head.

I think people subconsciously realize what they don't care to see and which ones they tolerate but don't know how to put it. They'll say "anime swordsman" but excuse Joker. Why? Because he's not the archetype I listed above. So it was never "anime" or "swordsman" at all. It was the "hero of destiny" archetype.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
The Genre talk got me thinking about the genre distribution of my most wanters. Going off the top ten, there's

• 2 RPGs (Frisk, Fawful)
  • 1 Sandbox (Steve)
I wasn't expecting that big of a platformer bias. Granted, only one of those come from a "standard" platformer, but still.
Mine would go something like:
  • 3 Platformers (Crash, Rayman, Klonoa)
  • 4 RPG (Sora, 2B, Geno, Estelle)
  • 1 MOBA (Ahri)
  • 1 Puzzle (Arle)
  • 1 Adventure/Visual Novel (Phoenix Wright)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Most slept on pick IMO is Dovahkiin. Skyrim is one of the most popular games of all-time. It’s been one of the most influential games of the past decade influencing amazing games like Witcher 3 & even Breath of the Wild. It’s even popular in Japan. Bethesda’s been really close to Nintendo as well. It’s crazy that people don’t talk about Dovahkiin more.

Though, the Vault Boy Mii costume gives me some hesitation about Dovahkiin. Fallout is Elder Scrolls’s sibling series, so it would’ve made a lot of sense to add Vault Boy alongside Dovahkiin. But who knows, maybe they want to keep us on our toes?

Dark horse pick is any western character that isn’t Crash, Doom Slayer, Master Chief, Steve, Rayman, Shantae or Lara Croft.

There’s a lot of Japanese characters that could fit this but I feel some of those still get some discussion. No one discusses the possibility of someone like Commander Shepard, Joanna Dark or Chell.

I mean not even I expect it tbh, so I think it would shock everyone.

• 2 FPS (Master Chief & Doom Slayer)
  • 2 Action RPG (2B & Sora)
  • 2 Platformer (Crash & Shovel Knight)
  • 1 Action (Dante)
  • 1 Horror (Jill/Leon/Claire)
  • 1 Survival/Simulator (Steve)
  • 1 Bullet Hell/RPG (Frisk)
There’s a lot of characters there that are seemingly out of the running (Slayer, Sora, Shovel Knight, RE rep & Frisk) but oh well.
I think it's mainly because Doomguy had a lot of little things gradually pulling him closer and closer to Nintendo fans and the Smash speculation scene while speculation shifted to third-parties, while Skyrim was ported to the Switch on release and I think that was about it, aside from a couple minor spinoffs. As such, Dovahkiin was left off to the side while Doomguy rose to prominence.
In other news, can we all appreciate how DragonForce actually made a blatant Skyrim song?

toonito

Smash Ace

• 2 RPGs (Frisk, Fawful)
  • 1 Sandbox (Steve)
Mine are:

2 Fighters (Sol Badguy, Chun-Li)
2 FPS (Doom Slayer, Master Chief)
2 Action Adventure (Dante, Ryu Hayabusa)
1 RPG (Pokemon Gym Leader Bea)
1 Survival Horror (Jill Valentine)
1 Beat Em' Up (Axel Stone)
1 Sidescrolling Platformer (Zero)

1st time I actually narrowed down my most wanted to 10

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice

• 2 RPGs (Frisk, Fawful)
  • 1 Sandbox (Steve)
Only top ten, right?

* 2 Platformers (Gunvolt, The Medic (The Stretchers))
* 2 JRPG (Itsuki Aoi & Chrom, KOS-MOS)
* 1 ARPG (Euden)
* 1 SRPG (Reiji Arisu & Xiaomu)
* 1 FPS (Adam Jenson)
* 1 Beat 'em up (Asuka)
* 1 Fighting (Skullomania)
* 1 Horror (Rick Taylor)

I made some difficult choice for my list.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Only top ten, right?

* 2 Platformers (Gunvolt, The Medic (The Stretchers))
* 2 JRPG (Itsuki Aoi & Chrom, KOS-MOS)
* 1 ARPG (Euden)
* 1 SRPG (Reiji Arisu & Xiaomu)
* 1 FPS (Adam Jenson)
* 1 Beat 'em up (Asuka)
* 1 Fighting (Skullomania)
* 1 Horror (Rick Taylor)

I made some difficult choice for my list.
>Gunvolt

Instant culture. You got taste

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman

• 2 RPGs (Frisk, Fawful)
  • 1 Sandbox (Steve)
My list:
3 Rpg (Agumon, Neku, Terra)

2 Fighting (Sol Badguy, Ragna)

1 Bullet Hell (Reimu)

1 Action Adventure (Amaterasu)

1 Action (Pepsiman)

1 Strategy Rpg (Laharl)

1 Puzzle (Arle)

1 Sandbox (Steve)

It gets even less diverse the more characters I add, but this makes sense considering my favorites genres are Rpgs and Fighting so.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
It's actually about Toads, not JRPG protagonists, which is quite possibly the most meta thing Nintendo has done, at least for Mario.
Ngl if that's for real, that's actually kind of a **** move. Can't see that going down well with the fanbase.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I always found the idea of "genre reps" to be kind of silly. Video game genres are vaguely defined, and tend to have a ton of overlap. If you asked me if Metroid was a shooter, platformer, or "metroidvania", I'd probably say yes to all of them. Not to mention that two games in the same genre can still be wildly different.

Anyway on an unrelated note I think we don't need Master Chief or Doom Guy, :ultduckhunt: reps the FPS genre just fine. We should prioritize a character from a totally unrepresented genre instead, like the cookie from Cookie Clicker.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ngl if that's for real, that's actually kind of a **** move. Can't see that going down well with the fanbase.
Most thought it was pretty funny.

You'd have to go out of your way to be offended by that.

ZelDan

Smash Master
RPG/JRPG= Isaac, Elma, Sans, FF rep (4)
Platformer= Dixie Kong, Shovel Knight, Crash (3)
FPS= Master Chief (1)
Adventure= Impa (1)
Action= Travis Touchdown (1)

Not that varied, but don't care. :drshrug:

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Most thought it was pretty funny.

You'd have to go out of your way to be offended by that.
Well, it's about Toads being samey, and that's a pretty big problem PM fans have, so I just assumed it would be seen as tasteless. But it might simply be funnier in context.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr

• 2 RPGs (Frisk, Fawful)
  • 1 Sandbox (Steve)
I don't really have a top ten, at the moment only 5 characters are in my most wanted chart... but if I can add the unrealistic ones then it would become a bit bigger. There are many other characters that I would like in Smash but they aren't "most wanted".
  • 3 platformers (Adeleine, Cpt Syrup, Hornet) (2 platformers and 1 metroidvania?)
  • 1 rhythm game (Karate Joe)
  • 1 action adventure (Ganon)
unrealistic ones:
  • 1 real time strategy (Age of Empires unit)
  • 1... casual minigames I guess? Also kinda an arcade/platformer too (Alley Cat)
  • 1 racing game (any Re Volt car - don't ask me how it would play)
that's all, 8 characters, can't think of anyone else that I would call "most wanted" for now.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Well, it's about Toads being samey, and that's a pretty big problem PM fans have, so I just assumed it would be seen as tasteless. But it might simply be funnier in context.
The quote was used by the main villain to emphasize how little he cared about the lives of individual Toads.

I don't think this particular quote was supposed to have a hidden meaning behind it. I'm not even sure if it was supposed to be a joke.

frozolloyd

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
No More Heroes following SMT's example and carrying an entire Direct by themselves in the near future.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
No, it will. It will just be blocked by Suda51's head the whole time.
We'll also get a reveal trailer for Travis in Smash Ultimate, and it won't be blocked by Suda51's head...
... it'll be blocked by Sakurai's head instead.

Last edited:

Arcane Jill

Smash Apprentice
Guess I will post my genre distribution as well:
5 RPG: Terra (FF6), Lenneth (Valkyrie Profile), Laharl, Geno, Demi-fiend
4 Action Adventure : Sora, Midna, Dante, Travis Touchdown
1 Platformer : Cranky Kong
1 Bullet Hell : Reimu
1 Fighting Game : Sol Badguy
Looks like No More Heroes 1 might be coming to Switch.

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/08/no-more-heroes-rated-for-switch-in-taiwan

Another possible direct coming soon?
Would love to get a gameplay trailer for 3 if thats the case, but it might be too early for that.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

• 2 RPGs (Frisk, Fawful)
  • 1 Sandbox (Steve)
This looks like a fun game.
  • 5 RPGs (Ark, Crono, Geno, Decidueye and Sora)
  • 2 Beat em ups (Travis Touchdown and Axel Stone)
  • 2 Platformers (Crash Bandicoot and Klonoa)
  • 2 First Person Shooters (Sgt. Cortez and Doom Guy)
  • 1 Arcade Shooter (Cormano)
  • 1 Puzzle Platformer (Lost Vikings)
  • 1 Fighter (Sol Badguy)

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976

• 2 RPGs (Frisk, Fawful)
  • 1 Sandbox (Steve)
Platformers; Megaman X
RPG; Geno, Llloyd.
Sandbox: CJ
FPS; Doomguy, Master Chief
Fighting: Nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom