• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
>More than Tracer

I mean, yes, very much yes.

Thrall, the main character of Warcraft 3 more or less, which was the lead up game to World of Warcraft, who was the Warchief of the Horde up to Cataclysm.

Illidan Stormrage, the poster boy of The Burning Crusade, a huge character that's been marketed to hell by the company due to how recognizable and iconic he is.

Arthas Menethil, aka The Lich King, the big bad of Wrath of the Lich King, a huge lore character who was a protagonist/antagonist of Warcraft 3. Him getting an expansion to WoW all to his own kinda drives in how major he was, and he's still to this day iconic as hell despite being killed off.

Sylvanas Windrunner, maybe not soo much nowadays since Blizzard wants to push her as a Mary Sue antagonist, but for a long time, she was arguably WoW's strongest female main character, and due to her design, personality, and associated lore, was insanely iconic.
Not to mention, Mr. T, the night elf mohawk.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
The fact he chose Cloud over any Final Fantasy character out of popularity and the fact we have Joker at all should make it clear stuff like "history with Nintendo" doesn't matter.

"But Final Fantasy and Shin Megami Tensei are in Nintendo!"

But not Cloud's main title until years after he appeared in Smash and Atlus has Persona on a much higher pedestal than SMT. So no, it doesn't matter, just that the partnership between companies is beneficial.
On top of this, Cloud & Joker didn’t bring a single bit of content from their prior Nintendo appearances with them. Joker brought content from THREE games & none of them have been on a Nintendo console.

At this point, I really don’t think it matters that much. Honestly there’s not a lot of series out there that HAVEN’T been on a Nintendo console. Most of the series we’ve gotten so far have made sense to get in before the select few franchises that have no Nintendo presence. We’ve crossed so many names off that list that now it finally makes sense to potentially add Halo or even something like Half-Life.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
everyone sure is watching this thread but no one's saying **** huh

People are iffy on Tracer because they either haven't played Overwatch or they don't like Blizzard's undying allegiance to China or whatever **** that's going on about with angry twitter. I personally wouldn't care, but it's one of their biggest franchises so it's a good option imo.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Just speaking for myself, but Overwatch falls into that Twitch popular series of games (Minecraft, Fortnite, League of Legends, Dota, Hearthstone, PUBG, Apex, etc) that I have no dislike of or antipathy for, but have never played and as a result have no connection or familiarity with of the characters from them. Saying that so and so from Overwatch is in Smash for me would be like announcing that Dizzy from the 80s/90s computer games is in; I wouldn't do much more than shrug and say its "cool for fans of them I guess".

SKX31

Smash Master
Just speaking for myself, but Overwatch falls into that Twitch popular series of games (Minecraft, Fortnite, League of Legends, Dota, Hearthstone, PUBG, Apex, etc) that I have no dislike of or antipathy for, but have never played and as a result have no connection or familiarity with of the characters from them. Saying that so and so from Overwatch is in Smash for me would be like announcing that Dizzy from the 80s/90s computer games is in; I wouldn't do much more than shrug and say its "cool for fans of them I guess".
I can definetely see where you're coming from: Twitch numbers are not strictly neccessary for a game to have a successful long life - Splatoon's a good example of this. But it's definetely a nice thing to have (since consistently large numbers indicate an enduring core fanbase, see both Melee and 4/Ultimate), and as such Splatoon would largely benefit from having higher Twitch numbers. Regardless of Twitch chat being generally a dumpster fire.

I'm for Overwatch in Smash myself partly due to having played and watched the game quite a lot, and the characters themselves do bring a variety of possibly unique mechanics. Tracer - like the Sands of Time-era Prince of Persia - has time rewinding, which is a mechanic that Smash hasn't touched but could definetely be very interesting to see implemented, while co-protagonist Winston would stand as a very interesting opposite to :ultdk:. Etc.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Personally I think Overwatch is too young to be in Smash. It's still a very iconic game on his own because if how it popularize the hero shooter genre, but right now the game is pretty much dead and I don't see the second game having the same success has the first. I'd rather have a fps rep with a big history like Doom or Halo.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Haven't played OW a while (last time was when Wrecking Ball released), but I'm neutral on Tracer and OW reps in general. I guess it has to do with Activision and Blizzard being merged together, so Tracer getting in now would kinda be a death sentence for Crash. But even then, OW never really stuck with me the same way other competitive team-based online games have.

Though I suppose when it comes to Blizzard themselves, I can understand people wanting a WoW, Diablo or Starcraft rep more.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

People are iffy on Tracer because they either haven't played Overwatch or they don't like Blizzard's undying allegiance to China or whatever **** that's going on about with angry twitter. I personally wouldn't care, but it's one of their biggest franchises so it's a good option imo.
Blizzard has a undying allegiance to China? What do you mean with that? I never played a Blizzard game honestly, but Overwatch was looking... Interesting. Haven't bought it. But maybe I will one day. Is it a good game for someone who never plays shooters ?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Back in 2019, they shut a streamer down because they protested against China.
Could be because of their Chinese costumers. Could be because they don't want political stuff in their streams. I dunno. I lack the information to make a decision or opinion here.

SKX31

Smash Master
Blizzard has a undying allegiance to China? What do you mean with that?
Back in 2019, they shut a streamer down because they protested against China.
It does go further than the Blitzchung debacle itself: WoW, Overwatch and I believe Hearthstone have significant Chinese fanbases, and are centrepieces of Blizzard's cooperation with Chinese gaming titan NetEase (#2 behind Tencent). That said. I personally oppose Blizzard's decision re: Blitzchung (and so did a number of Blizzard's lower workers thankfully enough) because it really came off as kow-towing.

(It's also impossible to know exactly how the much of the Chinese fanbase supports one side or the other due to the sophisticated attempts at control on Chinese social media. Those attempts don't work out all the time though.)
Still support the characters regardless of what ties a company might have to a government::ultbanjokazooie: is currently owned by a certain American megacorp with ties to the American government. Not as tight or problematic as the Chinese titans, but still there. And SNK's primary owner is headed by a CCP member (not sure how high or low ranking because the CCP is extremely complex, but still). Those ties between corps and governments did not matter in the slightest when it comes to Smash though.

So the Blitzchung debacle, as much as it was a debacle, shouldn't be a factor for Blizzards characters. Konami's mistreatment of Kojima et al. did not stop Snake from returning (Edit: IMHO Konami shouldn't have done that at all of course).

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Looking both at the list of third parties we currently have in Smash and Sakurai's comments on Cloud, it seems that, while it's definitely not necessary to have semi-strong connection to Nintendo to join Smash, it certainly doesn't hurt to have one.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Looking both at the list of third parties we currently have in Smash and Sakurai's comments on Cloud, it seems that, while it's definitely not necessary to have semi-strong connection to Nintendo to join Smash, it certainly doesn't hurt to have one.
I tend to view it as the clincher element for certain character. It won't prevent fighters from getting in if its not there, but if it is, it does act as a nice push for them across the finish line.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Personally I think Overwatch is too young to be in Smash. It's still a very iconic game on his own because if how it popularize the hero shooter genre, but right now the game is pretty much dead and I don't see the second game having the same success has the first. I'd rather have a fps rep with a big history like Doom or Halo.
I mean, I'm going to play devil's advocate here since I really don't want an Overwatch rep, but ARMS is both younger and was deader than Overwatch by the time it was revealed for smash bros. Basically I don't think that series age is too much of a factor in potential character selection.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
So you are saying Sora has a chance

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Considering Persona 5 came out after Overwatch did (Persona 5 in September of 2016, Overwatch in 2015) and that Overwatch being dead is overstated simply based on continued play, merchandise sales, and Overwatch League, I don’t know that those reasons are entirely founded.

Is Overwatch as big as it was originally? Of course not, a lot of games and their hype die down. But when we get crossovers in Smash specifically looking at Persona 5 (not focusing on earlier Persona games nearly as much) and Banjo-Kazooie, a series that is long “dead”, it seems more to me that the age has nothing to do with it. It just comes down to business relationships.

FJA147

Smash Cadet
Considering Persona 5 came out after Overwatch did (Persona 5 in September of 2016, Overwatch in 2015) and that Overwatch being dead is overstated simply based on continued play, merchandise sales, and Overwatch League, I don’t know that those reasons are entirely founded.

Is Overwatch as big as it was originally? Of course not, a lot of games and their hype die down. But when we get crossovers in Smash specifically looking at Persona 5 (not focusing on earlier Persona games nearly as much) and Banjo-Kazooie, a series that is long “dead”, it seems more to me that the age has nothing to do with it. It just comes down to business relationships.
I don’t think that Overwatch is a dead series because they are currently developing an Overwatch 2

osby

Smash Obsessed
So, each to their own but out of the all third party characters we have;

7 are from the 80s: :ultpacman::ultmegaman::ultsimon::ultsnake::ultryu::ultken::ulthero3:
6 are from the 90s: :ultsonic::ultrichter::ultcloud::ult_terry::ultbanjokazooie::ulthero4:
2 are from the 2000s: :ultbayonetta1::ulthero2:
And 2 are from the 2010s: :ultjoker::ulthero:

Considering how only two and a half fighters are from the last two decades, I think we can really use more fresh faces. It's fine and all to want old characters but we have plenty of them so it's a little annoying when actually popular and influential picks get hit by the "too young" label.

This isn't necessarily about Overwatch, just putting it out there.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
>More than Tracer

I mean, yes, very much yes.

Thrall, the main character of Warcraft 3 more or less, which was the lead up game to World of Warcraft, who was the Warchief of the Horde up to Cataclysm.

Illidan Stormrage, the poster boy of The Burning Crusade, a huge character that's been marketed to hell by the company due to how recognizable and iconic he is.

Arthas Menethil, aka The Lich King, the big bad of Wrath of the Lich King, a huge lore character who was a protagonist/antagonist of Warcraft 3. Him getting an expansion to WoW all to his own kinda drives in how major he was, and he's still to this day iconic as hell despite being killed off.

Sylvanas Windrunner, maybe not soo much nowadays since Blizzard wants to push her as a Mary Sue antagonist, but for a long time, she was arguably WoW's strongest female main character, and due to her design, personality, and associated lore, was insanely iconic.
And of course, there's a chance Sakurai would find a way to include the player character. Though I imagine that would be difficult given the nature of MMOs...

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I mean, weren't we cheering when Snake and Simon showed up, despite them being owned by Konami? Why would they get a free pass from the "No morally questionable companies" rule?
Either way, it's still Nintendo making the DLC in this case. I get not wanting to support a company like that, but Smash is still just Smash, no matter what companies are involved/ I'll just play whoever I think is fun.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Oh **** someone remembers dizzy :D

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
This is a very interesting interview over all, but as far as being relevant to the point thread, Kamiya would like to see Amaterasu in Smash, so that's cool.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

7 are from the 80s: :ultpacman::ultmegaman::ultsimon::ultsnake::ultryu::ultken::ulthero3:
6 are from the 90s: :ultsonic::ultrichter::ultcloud::ult_terry::ultbanjokazooie::ulthero4:

Considering how only two and a half fighters are from the last two decades, I think we can really use more fresh faces. It's fine and all to want old characters but we have plenty of them so it's a little annoying when actually popular and influential picks get hit by the "too young" label.

Bring in the frosted tips and Subprime mortgages, its 2000s time!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000s_in_video_games

Seriously there’s so many good series that started in the 2000s, I think it’s time for them to get some of the veneration that the games of the 90s get.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master

Honestly I'd like new third parties from the 2000s and onwards because I was born in the year 2000 so it'll be faces I'd recognise like Dante, a WoW or League rep or a Shooter rep like Gordon Freeman and Master Chief.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Man, all the more reason I want Sora in Smash.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Bring in the frosted tips and Subprime mortgages, its 2000s time!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000s_in_video_games

Seriously there’s so many good series that started in the 2000s, I think it’s time for them to get some of the veneration that the games of the 90s get.
Maybe it's nostalgia or bias, but I do think a 2000s icon would be nice. Someone like Lloyd Irving or Master Chief, absolute icons who would represent that era of gaming well. Dante would be pretty cool as well.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

‘00s: Master Chief, Dante, Sora, Lloyd, Phoenix Wright, Monster Hunter, Ezio, Joanna Dark

‘10s: 2B, Steve, Frisk, Dovahkiin, Tracer, Hollow Knight

I definitely agree that we should see more characters from these decades. Particularly the ‘00s so many legendary franchises began there & I felt that’s the decade when gaming truly found its footing.

I didn’t even mention all of Sony’s staple series like Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted & God of War for the ‘00s.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Part of why I want Steve to make it in is because he's one of the characters I think of most when considering characters inbetween 2010-2012 that made an impact on gaming. Steve is really iconic of that period of gaming for me and Minecraft is what really got me into the world of modding games, so it would be super cool to see him make it in. Heck, I'd even take a Mii costume.

Nintendo and Microsoft pls. :(

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
As someone who played Overwatch religiously for a year, then dropped it and hasn’t touched it since, I wouldn’t mind Tracer being in Smash. I’ve always thought she was one of the game’s best examples of good character design, and she has a fun personality.

(there’s no way she’s getting in though)

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
This is a very interesting interview over all, but as far as being relevant to the point thread, Kamiya would like to see Amaterasu in Smash, so that's cool.
Well, typically when the creator says this they don't get in Smash. Though Kamiya did mention a bunch of other characters too, and I doubt all of them are deconfirmed.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
1596299819243.png

More of these:
1596300189498.png

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Part of why I want Steve to make it in is because he's one of the characters I think of most when considering characters inbetween 2010-2012 that made an impact on gaming. Steve is really iconic of that period of gaming for me and Minecraft is what really got me into the world of modding games, so it would be super cool to see him make it in. Heck, I'd even take a Mii costume.

Nintendo and Microsoft pls. :(
Mii costume would work. If they'd make it a character, I'd expect skins of other characters (or ala villager)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
....aaaaaaaand the video was made private. RIP

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I wonder why the video was made private? Did they leak an actual Smash character and they didn't want Nintendo to find out that they broke their NDA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom