• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
The fighting game developer stream just finished and we got confirmation from Harada that they approached Nintendo to include them to the round table as well but they refused. Nintendo is gonna continue doing it's own thing separate from everyone I guess.
Not too terribly surprised. Nintendo is definitely having a rough go about it ATM and are naturally already a very secretive company. They don't usually show up with news for something unless it's a big deal event like E3.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Will Nintendo ever include an AAA western franchise/character that wasn't from a game originally published by Nintendo as a playable character in Smash for as long as we live

That's the real question
Crash Bandicoot, Rayman and Master Chief

These 3 in my opinion are the frontrunners when it comes to the next "Western characters/franchise's" joining Smash, One of these are gonna end up making the roster maybe 2 if we are really lucky.

Crash Bandicoot I feel is the safest bet, But Master Chief is the "Dark Horse" candidate of the bunch seeing how Banjo-Kazooie has Microsoft a seat at the table.

Would love all 3 to make it in, But Crash Bandicoot is the one I'm pulling for the most to make the cut.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well I guess Tracer isn't in this season of dlc, if the Overwatch director is still asking for her.

Unless he's just playing along

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
The FG stream was... a solid 6/10 as far as I'm concerned. Wish more had been shown, but what was shown was good enough.

Since it was pretty much a response to EVO being cancelled, I didn't expect a Nintendo announcement there... but dang, I wish we lived in a world where Smash had EVO reveals like all the other guys.

Especially if said characters came from other fighting games.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Well I guess Tracer isn't in this season of dlc, if the Overwatch director is still asking for her.

I'm sorry, but an Overwatch character is one of the few things I DON'T want in Smash. Granted, that's mostly due to me thinking Overwatch is overrated (please laugh), so obviously I'm in the minority.

Although I should mention that having the creator petition for Tracer would at least imply she isn't in, for whatever that's worth.

cashregister9

Smash Hero

If anything it does potentially deconfirm but i'm pretty sure this means absolutely nothing

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm sorry, but an Overwatch character is one of the few things I DON'T want in Smash. Granted, that's mostly due to me thinking Overwatch is overrated (please laugh), so obviously I'm in the minority.

Although I should mention that having the creator petition for Tracer would at least imply she isn't in, for whatever that's worth.
Overwatch is a great competitive game, lots of people like it, not sure how it's overrated :p

I think blizzard is big enough that nintendo should've thought about a character from them. Hopefully they don't only stick to japan anyway

Gribbo

Smash Apprentice
I'd be really surprised if Nintendo's doing a dedicated TTL thing again. Every other toys-to-life thing has been dead in the water, even Starlink which had it's last update a year ago, and Nintendo's been pretty dry with amiibo, having only released two since the beginning of the year. Even Sakurai sounded unsure if they were going to do the full set of Smash amiibo in the last presentation, and those are the ones that have sold really well.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Alright, I know some of you don't want to deal with leaks anymore, and I ESPECIALLY know you guys don't want to deal with Hotgirls anymore, but for those of you who ARE interested, she recently made a Twitter thread of things she heard.

https://twitter.com/HotGirlVideos69/status/1288990311176450048?s=20

Posting a link because she says... things at the end of the thread. Viewer discretion is advised.
>Either new Mother games or a reboot
198.jpg

It's obviously fake, the creator said the Earthbound series is over.

Gribbo

Smash Apprentice
>Either new Mother games or a reboot
View attachment 280679
It's obviously fake, the creator said the Earthbound series is over.
Honestly I think it's more likely than it sounds. Itoi never said that the series was over, he said he's done with it and would rather someone else make a newer entry. And there just so happens to be someone who made a really really popular game that was heavily inspired by the series, who has the approval of Itoi himself and has worked on a number of other Nintendo projects like Pokemon Sword and Shield, and Smash Bros. It would also explain the situation with the fangame Oddity: Under the Moon, which despite not becoming a paid product like a lot of fangames, had to recently change their name from the original title, Mother 4.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
The FG stream was... a solid 6/10 as far as I'm concerned. Wish more had been shown, but what was shown was good enough.

Since it was pretty much a response to EVO being cancelled, I didn't expect a Nintendo announcement there... but dang, I wish we lived in a world where Smash had EVO reveals like all the other guys.

Especially if said characters came from other fighting games.
I wish Terry was announced at Evo 2019, right after or before the announcement of King of fighters 15. The crowd would have lost their mind.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Alright, I know some of you don't want to deal with leaks anymore, and I ESPECIALLY know you guys don't want to deal with Hotgirls anymore, but for those of you who ARE interested, she recently made a Twitter thread of things she heard.

Posting a link because she says... things at the end of the thread. Viewer discretion is advised.
New Game related to Undertale - prob Deltarune ch 2
legacy ip used in an unexpected way - F-Zero but as a beat em up??
...and i REALLY hope Xenoblade X is in the "God there is so much"

kylexv

Smash Master

>Anything Mother related at all

Mother getting a new game or reboot of any kind is less likely than a Marvel vs. Capcom 4. And that's saying a lot.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
That roundtable was great! It had all the parts of EVO I actually care about...the character announcements!

Last edited:

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Censor dodging; video was removed

HotGirlVideos6 said:
Upcoming:

New Mother/earthbound game/reboot
ANNNNND Instant disregard.

Last edited by a moderator:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
- Mother getting anything at all.

Ha ha
ha

No. :nessmelee:

We're really reaching top tier Nintendo Direct desperation levels when the leaks that imply Mother is still an active franchise get posted. :drwtf:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Watch the Mother thing be the only correct one.

:4ness:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Will Nintendo ever include an AAA western franchise/character that wasn't from a game originally published by Nintendo as a playable character in Smash for as long as we live

That's the real question
We’ve gotten so much Western content in the past year that I think this is pretty much guaranteed. Banjo, Sans, Altair, Rabbids, Cuphead & MFing Vault Boy of all choices.

Nintendo knows that people want western content. I think Sakurai has gotten over the language barrier too; I bet it helps that western developers are begging to be in Smash as well.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Here is another game I came up with.

https://unlikely-characters-for-smash.fandom.com/wiki/Unlikely_Characters_for_Smash_Wiki

Go to this site. Choose a character. Try to debunk arguments listed on the character's page.

I choose Master Chief...

The Halo franchise is not that popular in Japan, not counting any non-video game media referencing him.
It's still recognizeable there. There is dedicated fanbase. Ultimate's sales in Japan is 3.8 million. It's good, but far less than half of overall sales. So why is Japan like holy grail of appeal? We had Japanese companies like Capcom and Namco getting western characters (some are not famous or popular in Japan) in their games. There is little to no excuse for Nintendo to reject western characters.

Halo almost never made it to Nintendo consoles, not counting any cameos inside the console like a skin in Minecraft.
Sakurai never set this as a rule.

Most of his moves only involves shooting.
Melee, energy sword, gravity hammer, Spartan abilities, tons of assassination moves for grapple, etc
He has far more movesets when it comes to non-shooting than Samus and Inkling. And he actually has original games/lore to back up.

Master Chief would look very out of place in Smash due to him only showing his arms and weapon as a first person shooter.
So I guess Lucas and Ness would look out of place. Did he also miss cutscenes and third point view from vehicle and weapons like turret and flame thrower?

He's one of the character requests that Katsuhiro Harada had muted on Twitter.
He is not in charge of newcomer selection. He is known for joking.

The first person shooter Genre is known to be repetitive nowadays.
Same for fighting game or Fire Emblem. Hell, it applies to pretty much any genre.

Shroob

Sup?
Overwatch is a great competitive game, lots of people like it, not sure how it's overrated :p

I think blizzard is big enough that nintendo should've thought about a character from them. Hopefully they don't only stick to japan anyway
My issue with Overwatch is, aside from its dwindling relevancy over the years.

It's Blizzard, the company that made MMOs burst into the mainstream when games like Star Wars Galaxies and Ultima Online were 2hard for casuals. The effect that World of Warcraft had on gaming and culture as a whole can't be overstated, and Warcraft is their de-facto most iconic franchise.

It'd be like going to Namco and getting I dunno, a Tales of Rep over Pac Man. One's more modern relevant, but one's more iconic to the company, and gaming, as a whole.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Don’t see anything Mother happening without Shigesato Itoi to be honest and he said that he was done with the series and that Mother 3 was the conclusion.

And Mother 3 hasn’t even been localized yet.

Gribbo

Smash Apprentice
Here is another game I came up with.

https://unlikely-characters-for-smash.fandom.com/wiki/Unlikely_Characters_for_Smash_Wiki

Go to this site. Choose a character. Try to debunk arguments listed on the character's page.

I choose Master Chief...

It's still recognizeable there. There is dedicated fanbase. Ultimate's sales in Japan is 3.8 million. It's good, but far less than half of overall sales. So why is Japan like holy grail of appeal? We had Japanese companies like Capcom and Namco getting western characters (some are not famous or popular in Japan) in their games. There is little to no excuse for Nintendo to reject western characters.

Sakurai never set this as a rule.

Melee, energy sword, gravity hammer, Spartan abilities, tons of assassination moves for grapple, etc
He has far more movesets when it comes to non-shooting than Samus and Inkling. And he actually has original games/lore to back up.

So I guess Lucas and Ness would look out of place. Did he also miss cutscenes and third point view from vehicle and weapons like turret and flame thrower?

He is not in charge of newcomer selection. He is known for joking.

Same for fighting game or Fire Emblem. Hell, it applies to pretty much any genre.
Hard mode: Click random.

The Joker
Joker's already playable silly

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Actually. He did.

It was a rule during Brawl and we have had no statements that it's changed.
The fact he chose Cloud over any Final Fantasy character out of popularity and the fact we have Joker at all should make it clear stuff like "history with Nintendo" doesn't matter.

"But Final Fantasy and Shin Megami Tensei are in Nintendo!"

But not Cloud's main title until years after he appeared in Smash and Atlus has Persona on a much higher pedestal than SMT. So no, it doesn't matter, just that the partnership between companies is beneficial.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The fact he chose Cloud over any Final Fantasy character out of popularity and the fact we have Joker at all should make it clear stuff like "history with Nintendo" doesn't matter.

"But Final Fantasy and Shin Megami Tensei are in Nintendo!"

But not Cloud's main title until years after he appeared in Smash and Atlus has Persona on a much higher pedestal than SMT. So no, it doesn't matter, just that the partnership between companies is beneficial.
I'm not saying they have to be buddy buddy with Nintendo.

But an appearance is still desired.

Sakurai: At the same time, I think it’s only natural to prioritize the character who enjoys worldwide popularity. I might have had misgivings if Cloud had never appeared on a Nintendo console in any form, though.
https://sourcegaming.info/2016/02/23/nintendo-dream-interview-with-sakurai-part-2/

It DOES bother Sakurai. Though if Cloud's appearances count then the bar is pretty darn low.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984

https://sourcegaming.info/2016/02/23/nintendo-dream-interview-with-sakurai-part-2/

It DOES bother Sakurai. Though if Cloud's appearances count then the bar is pretty darn low.
I mean, you're gonna tell me that Persona Q2 helped Joker get in? Especially since it came out just a week before his announcement?

Thought to be honest, I have no idea how Scramble would play into this though.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I mean, you're gonna tell me that Persona Q2 helped Joker get in? Especially since it came out just a week before his announcement?

Thought to be honest, I have no idea how Scramble would play into this though.
Maybe? I don't know. But at that point the choices were made by Nintendo, right?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Thing is, the way I interpret that quote is that Sakurai isn't sure if he'd have had an issue as he himself says 'I MIGHT have had misgivings' and not 'I WOULD have had misgivings' not to mention he says this right after
Screenshot_20200801-073628.png

He said this again when talking about Banjo being added and while 80% of Banjo's games are on Nintendo systems with 2 exclusives, he still felt he needed to say that console wars are dumb. There's also what established this rule, a character appearing on a Nintendo system beforehand was a courtesy, but he never said it was mandatory. A courtesy is bringing a bottle of wine to a party you were invited to for the host, it's being polite but not a hard rule

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

And he's saying "he might have". Not that he was actually bothered by it. This is well after he had chosen Cloud. He wasn't sure if he really should care about it instead. Keep in mind when the interview happened. He never said it was a core factor for him when describing choosing Cloud. He asked later on what he'd have done. It's pretty much written as "I am not sure" at that point. That's a pretty clear lacking of "importance". Cloud would've easily been in either way because he's that much of an icon. It wasn't those smaller appearances that got him in. It was being the big RPG icon he is. Also, Sakurai wanted a core character from Final Fantasy. Likewise that interview noted how little he cared about the Nintendo relevance factor, ignoring the other ones actually from the Nintendo-related entries(1-6) since he wanted the biggest gun. His entire set of interviews shows "it wasn't that important".

It's absolutely not a rule. But it is something he considers when looking for 3rd party character options. "It'd be something of a courtesy" also points to that factor, which is most likely referring to overall company relations. Previous companies working together meaning trying to license something from them is simply easier. This fits his context of how much he thinks console wars are pointless too. It fits his M.O. far more. Especially as he is not against promoting other systems to find games, showing how little the "Nintendo" factor really seems to be.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Maybe? I don't know. But at that point the choices were made by Nintendo, right?
They had to, but I find it unlikely that having Joker appear in a sequel to a spinoff in their then fading console would have factored in his chances.

Gribbo

Smash Apprentice
Looking at this wiki more, it's got some very interesting choices (such as Gumball's mom and the THX logo) and just as interesting arguments. Any character from a T or M-rated game is considered unlikely because it's not suitable for children (including Bendy and the Ink Machine and FNAF) despite there being multiple M-rated characters in Smash. Any western series is considered "unpopular in Japan". Also they try to use fans being annoying as an argument.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Thing is, the way I interpret that quote is that Sakurai isn't sure if he'd have had an issue as he himself says 'I MIGHT have had misgivings' and not 'I WOULD have had misgivings'
That's arguing over semantics honestly. The meaning is still clear.

He said this again when talking about Banjo being added and while 80% of Banjo's games are on Nintendo systems with 2 exclusives, he still felt he needed to say that console wars are dumb. There's also what established this rule, a character appearing on a Nintendo system beforehand was a courtesy, but he never said it was mandatory. A courtesy is bringing a bottle of wine to a party you were invited to for the host, it's being polite but not a hard rule
A courtesy that none of the character he's chosen have broken.

Sakurai doesn't like console wars, and I never meant to imply it was some purity thing. But it does seem to matter.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
That's arguing over semantics honestly. The meaning is still clear.

A courtesy that none of the character he's chosen have broken.

Sakurai doesn't like console wars, and I never meant to imply it was some purity thing. But it does seem to matter.
Again, that's how I interpret it.

It's a courtesy that nobody has broken, so far. If it was a rule outright, the bar's hilariously low like you said and we've also gotten another Sony centric IP as of Persona.

Oh I never assumed you implied that, I meant that Sakurai's been lax and simply adores video games, we know he takes pride in creating the largest crossover in gaming and when the bar's low enough to the point Cloud and Joker got in while saying "**** console wars" more than "This third party character was included because of their Nintendo ties" makes me believe that sooner or later, we'll get a character without even a cameo on Nintendo beforehand

Teeb147

Smash Legend
My issue with Overwatch is, aside from its dwindling relevancy over the years.

It's Blizzard, the company that made MMOs burst into the mainstream when games like Star Wars Galaxies and Ultima Online were 2hard for casuals. The effect that World of Warcraft had on gaming and culture as a whole can't be overstated, and Warcraft is their de-facto most iconic franchise.

It'd be like going to Namco and getting I dunno, a Tales of Rep over Pac Man. One's more modern relevant, but one's more iconic to the company, and gaming, as a whole.
Are there any warcraft characters that are iconic more than tracer? I've only played a little bit of the warcraft games, but I just mean I don't know any characters that make me excited to see.

Shroob

Sup?
Are there any warcraft characters that are iconic more than tracer? I've only played a little bit of the warcraft games, but I just mean I don't know any characters that make me excited to see.
>More than Tracer

I mean, yes, very much yes.

Thrall, the main character of Warcraft 3 more or less, which was the lead up game to World of Warcraft, who was the Warchief of the Horde up to Cataclysm.

Illidan Stormrage, the poster boy of The Burning Crusade, a huge character that's been marketed to hell by the company due to how recognizable and iconic he is.

Arthas Menethil, aka The Lich King, the big bad of Wrath of the Lich King, a huge lore character who was a protagonist/antagonist of Warcraft 3. Him getting an expansion to WoW all to his own kinda drives in how major he was, and he's still to this day iconic as hell despite being killed off.

Sylvanas Windrunner, maybe not soo much nowadays since Blizzard wants to push her as a Mary Sue antagonist, but for a long time, she was arguably WoW's strongest female main character, and due to her design, personality, and associated lore, was insanely iconic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom