• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
It's more how they were created by the same person.
So what ur saying is that the person who made both with one getting in over the other still matters for In a situation for choosing this character from a company over the other?

now I’m even more confused

also I don’t wanna be the rude one around here but smash speculation here in the west SUCKS. Like I despise it

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I apologize for posting Blocked Content.
But King Bob-Omb is unironically one of my most wanted "Piranha Plant style" characters.
If there's ever a completely stupid leak I want to be correct, Lord, please make it this one!

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Under the core ArcSys titles I'd opt for Slayer but I don't think Smash could handle just how Dandy he is. Dizzy is a very close second and then Susano-o.

Going beyond that I'd pick Orie, Gordeau or Merkava in a heartbeat.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I apologize for posting Blocked Content.
But King Bob-Omb is unironically one of my most wanted "Piranha Plant style" characters.
If there's ever a completely stupid leak I want to be correct, Lord, please make it this one!
King Bob-Omb did leak...
For Mario Kart Tour, and that image on the left in the thumbnail is from the boss image of this tour.

Even by Blocked Contents incredibly low standards this is awful clickbait with that thumbnail.

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500
How many people here would actually prefer a BlazBlue character over Guilty Gear?
I would. Both series are pretty cool, but I’ve had more history with BlazBlue.

Plus, Ragna is basically just Gintoki from Gintama with a hint of edge. Getting Ragna in Smash would be like getting my favorite anime character.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
There isn't any Arksys character I really want.

That said, as somebody who put a little bit of time into the first Blazblue years ago and never played Guilty Gear, Sol Badguy sounds like a better pick to me.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Bayonetta is basically a Nintendo character at this point. That’s one of the main reasons she got in.
Ehhh... Kinda.

The Bayonetta IP is still owned by Sega, but Nintendo actually owns some rights to Bayonetta 2 and Bayonetta 3.

It's actually a similar situation with Shovel Knight and Rayman Legends. Nintendo has some rights to individual games or versions of games (for example Shovel Knight was published by Nintendo in Japan), but not the IP.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Imo it's not that surprising that Bayo got in before Dante when you look at both franchises in the context of 2015. Bayonetta saw her new games which was critically acclaim and switch exclusive the year before. DMC got a bad reboot in 2013, so the last good DMC was in 2008, none of them was on a Nintendo console. Also we just got Ryu some months before so I guess Nintendo wanted a bit variety with their third party.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Wondering why Bayonetta got into Smash before Dante is like wondering why Banjo and Kazooie got into Smash before Crash or Spyro. The latter character is a much bigger character in their genre, but the former character has had Nintendo directly involved in the development and publishing of some of their games both in Japan and the rest of the world.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Say, you guys remember a while back when those rumors of WB Games getting sold off came out, and that EA was one of the companies considering buying them? Apparently, there are hints that they are, in fact, the ones doing the buying, but I can't seem to find a source. If this were to come true, how would it affect Mortal Kombat's chances for Smash? Admittedly, I don't care for MK, but I know a lot of people do, so I just wanted to ask.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Say, you guys remember a while back when those rumors of WB Games getting sold off came out, and that EA was one of the companies considering buying them? Apparently, there are hints that they are, in fact, the ones doing the buying, but I can't seem to find a source. If this were to come true, how would it affect Mortal Kombat's chances for Smash? Admittedly, I don't care for MK, but I know a lot of people do, so I just wanted to ask.
If true? Probably even smaller imo. Aside from the barriers MK already had, EA doesn't seem like the easiest company to negotiate with, not to mention they aren't really that close with Nintendo compared to a few other names.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I don't think it would affect that much their chances, because they were already low in the first places. It's not like a Japanase ip was sold to a Western dev. I don't think EA would be significantly harder to work with than Warner bros.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
"EA buying another company"

*Starts sweating*

EA stay away from buying companies. You are a parasite that kills off almost company you buy. Rant over.

Anyway, this wouldn't affect Mortal Kombat's chances much since it's really low. The recent Mortal Kombat games are banned in Japan. That alone really hurts the series' chances and add on the fact that it would be hard to translate Mortal Kombat into Smash while making it still feel like Mortal Kombat. Plus WB Games and EA are western companies and Nintendo is closer to other western entities like Activision, Bethesda, Ubisoft, and now even 2K.

SKX31

Smash Master
The FP2 negotiations took place before AT&T announced they were considering the sale of WB Games (Edit: June it seems) so as for negotiations, I don't think it would impact that.

Sakurai and co. would talk to WB Games primarily if MK (or Scribblenauts) is in. However, the sale could certainly affect development if they get into Smash even as Spirits because of legal complications. WB Games getting a new parent would require the new parent to discuss and cooperate with Nintendo. EA does have plans the Switch, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that EA - if they indeed buy WB Games - could work with Nintendo on this.

Ditto for A-B / Microsoft (the other prospective WB Games buyers) - they could certainly cooperate with Nintendo if this situation arises.

MK doesn't feel that likely to begin with, but I don't think the new parent would be that much of a hindrance any way.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Sakurai and co. would talk to WB Games primarily if MK (or Scribblenauts) is in.
Now there is a series that doesn't get enough attention. I mean come on Maxwell can draw anything and bring it into the world! The moveset writes itself (pun intended).

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
My personal Arcsys pick is Hakumen. I need a counter where he picks you up by the collar and chucks you through the dirt for trying to stab his toes.
And another one where he does the anime samurai thing.
And a shoulder-check for a dash attack when he's carrying around a giant Sephiroth sword.

Or I could make a huge stretch and say Linne or Enkidu from Under Night because Arcsys publishes it, but that's cheating.
Hakumen should make it in just because of his speech. If his speech is a taunt and he successfully performs it, the game is over and he wins immediately.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
In case anybody was wondering, it doesn't look like Zell knows exactly what's going on at the moment.

C.Tsubasa [King Zell's account]
Today at 10:23 AM
#14,488
Lelouch0612 said:
"Okay thanks guys. So we can expect:

1st half of August: Super Mario 3D Collection reveal
2nd half of August: Partner Showcase
1st half of September: General Direct"
Dont know about the first one
No
No
Found this on the Geno thread, by the way. Those guys spend a lot of time keeping track of supposed leakers, I'll give them that.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
In case anybody was wondering, it doesn't look like Zell knows exactly what's going on at the moment.

Found this on the Geno thread, by the way. Those guys spend a lot of time keeping track of supposed leakers, I'll give them that.
Huh, guess he was just giving news sites stuff to report on when he said he didn't think we'd get anything until September. He doesn't seem to know much more than we do, it seems.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Tbh at this point I don’t think ANY leaker knows what’s going on unless they provide photographic evidence... and THAT is gonna be super hard to obtain in this climate

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Under the core ArcSys titles I'd opt for Slayer but I don't think Smash could handle just how Dandy he is. Dizzy is a very close second and then Susano-o.

Going beyond that I'd pick Orie, Gordeau or Merkava in a heartbeat.
I can't wait for yet another character to out-range our "Distance Demon".

SKX31

Smash Master
*Byleth fumes in the background, Min Min blinks - utterly confused.*

Not the first time a Fire Emblem character's been outshined in its department - "Oh, :4corrin:'s got a wide and powerful counter, long-reaching Smash attacks and pretty good combos... *18 minutes later* :4bayonetta:.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Question. How do we feel about a Witcher rep?
Maybe? Wild Hunt was a really influential game of the later half of the 2010's, and Nintendo gave the Switch port a fair bit of a push, so they're clearly on good terms with the devs. On the other hand, there's the wierd situation with The Witcher starting out as a book series. I think we could loophole our way out of this one, since most people outside of Eastern Europe mainly associate the franchise with the game, but Nintendo might not think the same way. Still, it's enough wiggle room to prevent a complete deconfirm like, say, Goku.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yes, both are characters that focus on extreme spacing advantages.
I was kinda just making a joke...

It's rather obvious Min Min took over Byleth's role as distance demon.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
To be fair, I think most UNIST characters would outrange Byleth, whether with normals grabs or projectiles. Except Enkidu, I suppose.

*Byleth fumes in the background, Min Min blinks - utterly confused.*

Not the first time a Fire Emblem character's been outshined in its department - "Oh, :4corrin:'s got a wide and powerful counter, long-reaching Smash attacks and pretty good combos... *18 minutes later* :4bayonetta:.
Since you're also part of the MOBA crowd... how would you feel about a character with hooks? :p

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Inappropriate content
I honestly can't decide between either. I'm tied between Faust and Arakune; I heavily vibe with both of these weirdos.

View attachment 280635
Imagine Faust using his super move on everyone...
Yes... everyone including Kirby, Ridley, Zero Suit Samus and others.

Edit: I'm talking about that finger gun thing he does.

Edit again: looks like I got warned.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom