• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AinsOoalGown

Smash Apprentice
I do wonder if there will be a spirit event for Paper Mario at some point, not that it needs to be immediate but this would have been a good week for that. You know, Paper Mario may be a third Mario but the more I think about it, I'd be pretty fine with it in case it happens to be chosen. It has so much moveset potential from so many games and in so many ways, it even gives off personality despite being a "paper" mario,

it feels like one of Sakurai's specialities: a character with an unique moveset and full of personality that has a moveset thats unique to it and no one else could have it, like Minmin, Incineroar, Terry, Duck Hunt etc

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I do wonder if there will be a spirit event for Paper Mario at some point, not that it needs to be immediate but this would have been a good week for that. You know, Paper Mario may be a third Mario but the more I think about it, I'd be pretty fine with it in case it happens to be chosen. It has so much moveset potential from so many games and in so many ways, it even gives off personality despite being a "paper" mario,

it feels like one of Sakurai's specialities: a character with an unique moveset and full of personality that has a moveset thats unique to it and no one else could have it, like Minmin, Incineroar, Terry, Duck Hunt etc

Also playable paper Mario would mean we could have more paper Mario music. I just hope they won't be limited to Origami king (not hating on origami king ost, I haven't play the game but I mean, I want TTYD and Super remixes). Also maybe they could add an actually good Paper Mario stages instead of the mess we have right now.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
> “Wow, these leakers are the WORST! I’m never listening to another leaker ever again!”

> “BRUH have you guys seen the latest leak??? It’s super vague and suggests nothing Smash related...D-do you think it could mean something Smash related!?”
Wow. It's almost as if Smashboards is made up of several people with different opinions. Imagine that.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
> “Wow, these leakers are the WORST! I’m never listening to another leaker ever again!”

> “BRUH have you guys seen the latest leak??? It’s super vague and suggests nothing Smash related...D-do you think it could mean something Smash related!?”
Yo wake me up when we get the Pepsi Man leak that's the real deal.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

You don't suppose there could be something coming soon, do you? Because based on what I read on this topic about investors, I kinda doubt it.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

You don't suppose there could be something coming soon, do you? Because based on what I read on this topic about investors, I kinda doubt it.
I honestly wouldn't expect anything more than maybe the Mario Remasters (if they're real).

I mean, to each their own here, but I really, really, really don't think we're gonna get anything more than another Partner Showcase at most next month. That's just me, though. :drshrug:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I honestly wouldn't expect anything more than maybe the Mario Remasters (if they're real).

I mean, to each their own here, but I really, really, really don't think we're gonna get anything more than another Partner Showcase at most next month. That's just me, though. :drshrug:
Yeah, I actually see that possibility being the case.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Yeah, I think calling the summer a wash and looking at September as the earliest we're going to get back to a "standard" schedule for Directs feels pretty realistic.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I just add all the dates to the calendar without much care for them. If every date could be the direct date, I'll have to be right eventually, right?:4pacman:
Anyways, I've heard the 3rd, the 5th, the 10th, and the 20th tossed around, though that last one could be mixed up with last month. There's also every Tuesday, every Thursday, and the gap between Friday and Monday. Consider all of those dates but don't put too much stock in them; If it's not then, just look towards the next date with the same lack of enthusiasm. Most are probably wrong, if not all of them, but having a checkpoint to look forward to is much more preferable than endlessly gazing into the void.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Depends when "soon" is for you. If it's right at the beginning of August, I wouldn't hold your breath. If it's just at some point during August, that seems to be the way the wind is blowing.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Depends when "soon" is for you. If it's right at the beginning of August, I wouldn't hold your breath. If it's just at some point during August, that seems to be the way the wind is blowing.
You mean "I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you"? Anyway, my breath is not being held, and I am not really expecting much or anything. So I am safe.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You mean "I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you"? Anyway, my breath is not being held, and I am not really expecting much or anything. So I am safe.
You say "potato"

I say "dear lord, more Fire Emblem? C'mon! What's the deal over here? Sakuraiiiiiiiii"

Same thing in the end.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Either way "second party" is a bull**** term.
I feel that way towards "fourth party." It's not even a real term used by anyone except the Smash fandom. The likes of Goku, Mickey Mouse, and Spongebob are still third party characters. Just third parties that will never be included.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I feel that way towards "fourth party." It's not even a real term used by anyone except the Smash fandom. The likes of Goku, Mickey Mouse, and Spongebob are still third party characters. Just third parties that will never be included.
At least 4th party has a largely agreed upon definition. 2nd party requires so many qualifiers to define it that it's probably quicker to name the franchises you mean than try to explain it.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Inspect element is pretty impressive when you know how to use it. As is Photoshop.

Nothing to see here. :drshrug:
They really just put that name over Min Min and made it fighter 79 because there's two whole slots they couldn't fill with inspect.

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Fourth Party is such a ****ing stupid term, just call them multi-media characters, none of those characters are own by Nintendo which means they are technically third party. The fact its a somewhat common term used in Smash speculation really does show how dumb speculation can get in this community at times.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Good question. My first guess is that it's supposed to be Ragna, as in the BlazBlue guy. There's also Laguna, but I have no idea where that name comes from, even if I remember it. Is there anyone who knows any Lagunas?
I know a 'Raguna' who is the protagonist of Rune Factory 1 and Frontier

EDIT: There is also Laguna from Final Fantasy VIII

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Raguna. Laguna. Ooooo I wanna take ya!

Bermuda. Bahama. Come on pretty mama!

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I know a 'Raguna' who is the protagonist of Rune Factory 1 and Frontier

EDIT: There is also Laguna from Final Fantasy VIII
Ah, thank you. So either BlazBlue or Rune Factory., then. Maybe it's because of familiarity bias, but I'd expect Sol over Ragna. Don't know that much about Rune Factory, so could someone please give be a rundown?

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
A Ragna leak? Interesting.

I mean it's fake, but I'm kinda glad BlazBlue is now leak worthy material for Smash Bros. I find novelty in that.

SKX31

Smash Master
Good question. My first guess is that it's supposed to be Ragna, as in the BlazBlue guy. There's also Laguna, but I have no idea where that name comes from, even if I remember it. Is there anyone who knows any Lagunas?
Laguna could hypotheoretically refer to Dota 2's Lina (the Slayer), since she's outright based on Slayers' protagonist Lina, down to having Laguna Blade as her Ultimate (heh).

But Dota 2 getting in would probably require Sakurai to know about IceFrog for starters. I'm not willing to believe that Dota 2 has much of a chance unless there's some actual movement coming from there (I wanted to believe last year, but Dota 2's not been having the greatest luck with spin offs so far)... so yeah, it stays incredibly unlikely.

Ragna the Bloodedge sounds like a much much safer pick if there's any truth to that (edit: and I'm pretty sure there isn't due to Inspect Element). Rune Factory sounds much more likely too.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
You say "potato"

I say "dear lord, more Fire Emblem? C'mon! What's the deal over here? Sakuraiiiiiiiii"

Same thing in the end.
When did I say potato, whatever that means in this case rather than a kind of food?

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
How many people here would actually prefer a BlazBlue character over Guilty Gear?
I am not into BlazBlue, but regardless, I would prefer such a character from that series myself; over Guilty Gear of course. Don't ask why, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom