• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
in my case another risky bet is Neku (sudden TWEWY push, may not mean Smash spot) and another dream bet is KOS-MOS

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
My safe bet: Crash
My risky bet: Octoling (I find the fact they’re giving Splatoon 2 a sudden promotion push just a tad fishy)
My dream of dreams: Elma
Alright, let me try this:

Safe bet: Rex
Risky bet: Monokuma
Dream pick: Billy Hatcher (nostalgia's a heck of a thing...)

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Remakes rarely cause anything significant to be added to Smash, and it doesn't seem like Nintendo or Sakurai feel very obligated to promote them. We've had plenty of remakes of Zelda games over the past ten years, and the only thing that's come of them is a Gerudo Valley stage. No Impa, no Skull Kid, no Midna. Same thing has applied to Metroid, Star Fox, FE, and probably Xenoblade too after all is said and done. If a character or stage was added because of a recent release, then it's probably because that game was completely new, not a remake.

I doubt there was ever a serious discussion about adding a ORAS Pokemon. There were already trophies, music, and Pokeball Pokemon that referenced the games just fine.
Fire Emblem too, fearmongered as it is, the last game before Ulimtate was Echoes in 2017, a remake of the second game.

Instead we got Echo Fighter Chrom and a unique newcomer in Byleth as DLC, who came from the latest game.

EDIT: Didn't noticed you mentioned it, my bad

Last edited:

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
My risky bet: Octoling (I find the fact they’re giving Splatoon 2 a sudden promotion push just a tad fishy)
My safe bet-urshifu
My semi-safe bet-rex(not safe as urshifu but he has the advantage)
My risky bet-geno
My dream bet-Chief

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Oh and Something to ask, Do you guys think you will at least get 1 character right in your predictions for this pass

I'm not gonna count Min-Min Since for 1. I wasn't even predicting Min-Min, and also that I wasn't predicting ARMs before they had the reveal in March/

I ask because I have never gotten a Playable character right in My Time of Smash speculation (Mostly just this game). I'm hoping to get at least 1 character right (and for that character to be a certain someone)
I have hopes that I'm right about Travis Touchdown and Crash Bandicoot. Travis Touchdown definitely wasn't making it for Pass 1 but for Pass 2 I think he'll be luckier. Crash Bandicoot is good unless Activision gets a bit too greedy. I'll probably get at least a Mii Costume for Crono because I'm betting Sora is way more likely.

If I get Sgt. Cortez right though...

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
More from me.

Safe bet: Gen 8 Pokemon, Lloyd Irving, Ryu Hayabusa, Travis Touchdown, Steve
Risky Bet: Agumon, Nightmare, Rayman, Scorpion, Sol Badguy
Dream Bet: 2B, Black Shadow, Elma, Leon Powalski, Medusa

Fluttershy64

Smash Ace
Alright I'll give a go at it:

Safe Bet: Geno, Crash, Rex & Pyra, and Lloyd Irving
Risky Bet: Phoenix Wright, Shantae, Amaterasu, and any other spirit upgrade.
Dream Bet: Gemini Sunrise/Sakura Wars rep, Waluigi, Krystal, Issac, or any assist trophy upgrade.

SKX31

Smash Master
Safe Bet: Crash / Phoenix Wright / Ryu Hayabusa
Risky Bet: LoL representative / Master Chief / KOS MOS
Dream Bet: Gordon Freeman / Dota 2 representative / Amaterasu

I feel like Smash 4 already broke the promotional Pokemon idea a bit. Gen III still has no playable rep and 2014 was THE time to do it with ORAS coming out around Smash's launch. Sure, we got Mewtwo who did get a Mega Evolution... but like, Mewtwo was absolutely chosen for his Smash legacy more than anything else at that time because Nintendo and Sakurai knew how much people wanted him back. Just as they did for Lucas and Roy TBH.
That said - back in Melee both Mewtwo and Roy had loads of problems (likely due to the time crunch) which negatively affected them: Mewtwo's Confusion and Disable were almost useless outside of very specific situations, Roy had straight up missing hitboxes - in some cases they were not properly adjusted from Marth's to account for his longer swings. Lucas also had problems in Brawl: he (like Ness) suffered from extra lag when escaping grabs and his aerials were "high risk, high reward" to a very strong degree.

One can also look at those veterans' inclusions (partly) as Sakurai wanting to give another shot at the characters themselves. Confusion and Disable were buffed immensely in 4 (and thus are viable moves now). Roy got proper attention - and although he had a kinda rough time in 4 he's now someone who can erase stocks quickly as Sakurai wanted him. And Lucas got some more attention beyond the lag being fixed: his air attacks were overall made more consistent.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
few more bets for me
Safe: Bandana Dee, Dante, Arle
Risky: Phoenix, Mecha-Fiora, Velvet Crowe
Dream: Black Shadow, Ayumi Tachibana, Lip

i dont feel like going back and editing lmao

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Wanted to ask a quick question because I don't see this being discussed too often:

Would anyone be pissed if a Mother/EarthBound character was apart of the 2nd Fighter's Pass?

I know there's pretty much not a shot that would happen, but I'm kind of curious to gauge how the fanbase would react. The series had some pretty remarkable anniversaries last year; the franchise as a whole turned 30, and Mother 2 turned 25 (Mother 3 will be 15 next year).

Either way, I'm content with the amount of content the franchise has. Sakurai went above and beyond to acknowledge the series over the years, when it would've likely faded into obscurity like many other JRPG franchises. It's cool to see he has such an admiration for Mother!

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Wanted to ask a quick question because I don't see this being discussed too often:

Would anyone be pissed if a Mother/EarthBound character was apart of the 2nd Fighter's Pass?

I know there's pretty much not a shot that would happen, but I'm kind of curious to gauge how the fanbase would react. The series had some pretty remarkable anniversaries last year; the franchise as a whole turned 30, and Mother 2 turned 25 (Mother 3 will be 15 next year).

Either way, I'm content with the amount of content the franchise has. Sakurai went above and beyond to acknowledge the series over the years, when it would've likely faded into obscurity like many other JRPG franchises. It's cool to see he has such an admiration for Mother!

Depending on how the character is executed, I'd be somewhere between "Okay, so that's a thing. Who's next?" and "This is pretty good actually." There's some characters I'd want more, but I have no strong feelings either way.

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
in my case another risky bet is Neku (sudden TWEWY push, may not mean Smash spot) and another dream bet is KOS-MOS
Here, are my bets:
Safe - Itsuki Aoi & Chrom or Tsubasa Oribe & Caeda (Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE Encore), The Medic (The Stretchers), Melia (Xenoblade Chronicles 1)
Risk - Euden (Dragalia Lost), King Boo (Luigi Mansion), DJ Ocatvio (Splatoon)
Dream - Skullomania (Fighting EX Layer), Reiji Arisu & Xiaomu (Namco x Capcom), Rick Taylor (Splatterhouse)

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

I'd love another Mother rep! The Masked Man or Porky would be nothing short of awesome, and a Ninten echo doesn't seem too bad.

That being said, I'd sacrifice 20 potential Mother characters in Smash if we could somehow get a new game or a remake.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Nah. I do see salty Twitter going ape like that one Ashley fan trying to call Castlevania obsolete lol

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Nah. I do see salty Twitter going ape like that one Ashley fan trying to call Castlevania obsolete lol
As long as it is summoned, Castlevania will keep being reborn.
But yeah, salt is inevitable. Don't take it too personally if someone tries to discredit a character you like when they're revealed; We've all been there before.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I'd say the only people who might be disappointed are people who want more Third Party characters. If the character is Porky then I think he'd be met with mostly positive reception.

I personally am happy with just Ness and Lucas but Duster is the only permanent party member who is not an assist trophy or part of a character's final smash. It does bug me a bit that he wasn't a new assist trophy.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I wouldn't be pissed I would mainly be confused. It would really all depend on who it is though like if it is Porky it would make sense but I personally wouldn't care but If it was Ninten I would be super dissapointed as I personally dislike Ninten but i'm sure some people would be okay with it.

Last edited:

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Probably, JRPGs tend to make Smash fans salty for being "boring" or some ****. Definitely wouldn't be the most hated newcomer ever, but I don't see reception being the best for a Mother character. Maybe the Mother 3 memes would limit the salt, idk.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Ninten would be weird. He is the protag of Mother 1 but he's also your healer, he doesn't really have any offensive PSI. But Ness and Lucas steal from their team, so I doubt that's an issue lol.

I remember people ****ting on Ninten for looking too much like Ness, like it actually matters when we have "blue hair anime swordsman" as a meme.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Ninten would be weird. He is the protag of Mother 1 but he's also your healer, he doesn't really have any offensive PSI. But Ness and Lucas steal from their team, so I doubt that's an issue lol.

I remember people ****ting on Ninten for looking too much like Ness, like it actually matters when we have "blue hair anime swordsman" as a meme.
He'd work best as a more defensive Echo of Ness, in my opinion. Have a standard reflect instead of an absorb, throw in a boomerang, give him a warp. Stuff like that.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Somebody complaining would be inevitable, it doesn't matter who or from where. Even Cloud and Joker have detractors saying they don't belong here.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
He'd work best as a more defensive Echo of Ness, in my opinion
But you can't have Echoes in Fighter's passes. Just make him a semi or do the Lucas approach, it isn't terribly difficult.

Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BigUglyMan-Doll
Remakes rarely cause anything significant to be added to Smash, and it doesn't seem like Nintendo or Sakurai feel very obligated to promote them. We've had plenty of remakes of Zelda games over the past ten years, and the only thing that's come out of them is a Gerudo Valley stage. No Impa, no Skull Kid, no Midna. Same thing has applied to Metroid, Star Fox, FE, and probably Xenoblade too after all is said and done. If a character or stage was added because of a recent release, then it's probably because that game was completely new, not a remake.
Metroid Zero Mission inspired a lot of the Metroid content in Smash, from Brawl onward.
Zero Suit Samus and Norfair are clearly based on that game, which, as much as it added to and changed about the original, was still a remake.

Edit: StarFox Zero is pretty much a remake of StarFox 64, too, isn't it? I seem to recall Sakurai specifically stating that Fox and Falco's designs were updated to match Zero.
I recall him saying something similar about Marth and the Shadow Dragon remake for DS.
And the Pokémon Trainers are clearly based on Fire Red and Leaf Green, also remakes.

It's probably more accurate to say that ports and remasters don't tend to inspire new content in Smash. Remakes seem to be treated like any other game: if it's the latest game in the series (as of the start of development), it inspires fighter and stage designs in Smash.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
But you can't have Echoes in Fighter's passes. Just make him a semi or do the Lucas approach, it isn't terribly difficult.
I do hope they at least include one semi, with a significant degree of separation from their base. 45% similarity at the max, I'd say

TheBeastHimself

Ninten would be weird, even I'll admit that. I wouldn't necessarily mind if he got in because I love Mother, and there is enough from the first EarthBound game to separate him from Ness and Lucas. I just feel as though his inclusion would be redundant.

Now Porky on the other hand... Getting a mech fighter would be so dope

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
As in, hypothetically. I suppose you could also make him take moves from both Ness and Lucas, too.
You don't have to. You can just make up moves and attacks. Because that's what they did for both of them lmao.

I do hope they at least include one semi, with a significant degree of separation from their base. 45% similarity at the max, I'd say
I mean you gotta copy the jump. If he ain't doing sick float flips I don't wanna see it.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Safe Bet: Crash.
Risky Bet: Master Chief, Dante and Doomguy
Dream of Dreams: Kratos, Raiden and Sephiroth

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Ninten would be weird, even I'll admit that. I wouldn't necessarily mind if he got in because I love Mother, and there is enough from the first EarthBound game to separate him from Ness and Lucas. I just feel as though his inclusion would be redundant.

Now Porky on the other hand... Getting a mech fighter would be so dope

Would you be fine if Porky became a boss in a hypothetical new boss mode? Or would you be kinda disappointed with that?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The only correct answer is Duster. :V

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
JRPGs tend to make Smash fans salty for being "boring" or some ****.
Except in this case they wouldn't be hated for being another JRPG swordfighter. Now watch as this post ages poorly from us getting the Masked Man.

Gribbo

Smash Apprentice
Except in this case they wouldn't be hated for being another JRPG swordfighter. Now watch as this post ages poorly from us getting the Masked Man.
It could be Poo using that really rare sword he can equip. Worth it to make the announcer scream "POO!"

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The ideal Mother character would be Giygas
I'm assuming you mean the Earthbound Beginnings version here - between Giygas being the background, having attacks that are incomprehensible, and becoming impossible to hit as time goes on, I can't see the more famous version working well as a playable character.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I'm assuming you mean the Earthbound Beginnings version here - between Giygas being the background, having attacks that are incomprehensible, and becoming impossible to hit as time goes on, I can't see the more famous version working well as a playable character.
No I mean the red swirl thing but the Mother one would be fine unironically

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

Would you be fine if Porky became a boss in a hypothetical new boss mode? Or would you be kinda disappointed with that?
Sakurai has already went above and beyond for the Mother franchise if you consider all of the stages, music, easter eggs, and the fact that there's two reps. I am more than content, and would be overjoyed if Porky became a boss, just like if someone from the series became a character.

I don't think Sakurai, or Nintendo even, has to do anything more for the series, but it's nice that they continue to do so. In fact, if Ness was never in Smash 64, I'm sure Mother would have the same obscure legacy as many other JRPGs that aren't DQ or FF, neglected like Golden Sun and Chrono Trigger.

Many people are annoyed by the Mother fanbase because they always clamor for more, but I respect and accept Shigesato Itoi's wishes that he is simply done with the series. If someone else wants to pick it up and make an official Mother 4, by all means, but it's nothing worth losing sleep over. Same with HD remakes, that's great if it happens, but I don't think it's something Nintendo should be pestered over and over again about.

If the Mother series is destined for something big to happen, it will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom