• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Man even after we've gotten three of the most requested characters ever, people are still not satisfied or happy...
To be fair, people really aren't mad about Smash in particular. There was a little bit of impatience throughout June when had no idea when we would see the ARMS character, but that's basically all but gone away since Min Min's been released. Most people have accepted the possibility that we may not get the next Smash character until September or October and there seems to be relatively little fuss about that.

Where people are frustrated is how poorly Nintendo has been communicating with us regarding new titles. Thus far, we've only had two new Nintendo games announced this year: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and Paper Mario: The Origami King. Both of those games have already released. Now we're entering August in just under a week and people still have no idea about what exactly Nintendo is going to give us going into the remainder of the year.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So I'm guessing that was already after Ridley and K. Rool got in? There was indeed a short stint it became Geno, Isaac and Waluigi, before expecting mostly third-parties took over.

I mean there really is no one trinity, or quartet, or whatever. Those are just snapshots of who is popular at any given time. And sometimes not even that, since revisionism tends to colour things. People are now claiming it was Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo and Geno... but I guess people are forgetting that in the lead up to Ultimate, Inkling was very very popular. It's also omitting all the cut vets.

Then for Smash 4, Banjo and Geno wouldn't have made the cut. The "Elite Four" were Mega Man, Ridley, K. Rool, and, in the west, Little Mac. Mewtwo was "the champion". Then Palutena took over when Mega Man got in. Then for 4's DLC, iirc, it was Ridley, K. Rool, Isaac and Snake.

And Brawl would have a completely different list.

Yes, but yes with an asterisk. Isaac's support waxes and wanes, and in the lead up to his deconfirmation it was quite high, in part due to misread signals like the Rathalos pic and the Grinch leak, but before and after that it was much more low-key. Then it was high back during the ballot, higher than Geno, but that was also fleeting. Though it did result in the AT. When Isaac is thought to have a chance, his popularity really shoots up, and sometimes that has eclipsed Geno or Banjo (though for a long time Banjo wasn't even part of the conversation), but then just as quickly it can go back to simmering.
Yeah, it seemed like Isaac's popularity had some ups and downs. Guess he's even more of an Icarus than :ultpit:, huh?
Fun Fact: What some people don't know is that Activision was a finalist on acquiring Rare and it actually was very close to happening, But the deal fell apart last minute then Microsoft floored Rare with that mega size offer, Swooped in and scooped them up.
That's pretty interesting, actually. Banjo's competition could've been Crash instead of Steve? and Master Chief. That would be an interesting speculative scene.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

No more leaker ****. I've had enough of hearing what leakers said for the next year. The continual cycle of "x said this about a Direct soon!" and hype skyrocketing only to crash down has gotten old fast.

How about we just wait until we get news and be happy with what we get?
Im am equaly as sick of this **** as you are and the tired "boo hoo nintendo has been silent" excuse is getting old

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Guys, guys! Calm down. You should find something else to obsess over besides Nintendo directs.

Like Cortez...

You all know your target.gif

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
Man even after we've gotten three of the most requested characters ever, people are still not satisfied or happy...
Because people like different characters? If someone has no interest in Master Chief, and he gets added as DLC that person won't suddenly be happy because other people wanted Chief added.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144

No more leaker ****. I've had enough of hearing what leakers said for the next year. The continual cycle of "x said this about a Direct soon!" and hype skyrocketing only to crash down has gotten old fast.

How about we just wait until we get news and be happy with what we get?
This. Just this. I am sick of the "wHeRe Is SmAsH dLc" **** on mini directs like what happened recently. The only leak that actually managed to come true recently is the long lived L is Real rumor from Mario 64, but that's it. NO MORE OF THIS ****! I'm ****ing sick of it!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
This. Just this. I am sick of the "wHeRe Is SmAsH dLc" **** on mini directs like what happened recently. The only leak that actually managed to come true recently is the long lived L is Real rumor from Mario 64, but that's it. NO MORE OF THIS ****! I'm ****ing sick of it!
So we are not allowed to say things like that in speculation? This seems like a fun society. Still, I am not really one of those guys who does this, but you can't control other people, let alone their patience. They are going to do this regardless of whether you like it or not.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You don't have to post here, you know.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
at this point i think most of the "That's it? no Smash?" comments are just people joking. I even saw some in the PS5 reveal and while I didn't watch the recent Xbox showcase I bet you all a million cents that there were those comments there too.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't mind talking about the claims of leakers. If the leakers are credible. It's just that most of the credible leakers get dismissed or downplayed and most of the in-credible ones tend to be bigger fixtures of conversation, which is just completely backwards.

But then again the less than credible ones tend to be the ones who bait the fans and tell people what they want to hear.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Now we're entering August in just under a week and people still have no idea about what exactly Nintendo is going to give us going into the remainder of the year.
And what's wrong with that? At the end of the day, the only thing directly impacted is Nintendo's bottom line.

Fans still have options. It's not like Nintendo's past games suddenly don't exist. Go back and play some games you initially passed up, or jump back into an old favorite; maybe sample a new franchise or two. Take advantage of sales to play third party series that are interesting to you. If you have a Playstation or Xbox lying around maybe scoop up some cheap games for those. Sony's always running sales, and Xbox has Game Pass, which, again, is literally gaming Netflix.

I apologize if any of this comes off as angry or aggressive, but it's like, there's more than all this, you know? I see so many people seriously lamenting Nintendo's media silence as of late, and I believe it'd be more productive overall to just focus on other endeavors to pass the time until something does happen.

It's like the old saying says: "a watched pot doesn't boil." Asking about Nintendo's media silence or wishing for a Direct isn't going to make something come faster. It's only going to hurt people in the long run.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
And what's wrong with that? At the end of the day, the only thing directly impacted is Nintendo's bottom line.

Fans still have options. It's not like Nintendo's past games suddenly don't exist. Go back and play some games you initially passed up, or jump back into an old favorite; maybe sample a new franchise or two. Take advantage of sales to play third party series that are interesting to you. If you have a Playstation or Xbox lying around maybe scoop up some cheap games for those. Sony's always running sales, and Xbox has Game Pass, which, again, is literally gaming Netflix.

I apologize if any of this comes off as angry or aggressive, but it's like, there's more to all this, you know? I see so many people seriously lamenting Nintendo's media silence as of late, and I believe it'd be more productive overall to just focus on other endeavors to pass the time until something does happen.

It's like the old saying says: "a watched pot doesn't boil." Asking about Nintendo's media silence or wishing for a Direct isn't going to make something come faster. It's only going to hurt people in the long run.
And you have options too, like ignoring this kind of talk, taking a break from here, find something else to do altogether, etc.

This is something you may have to get used to. It has been happening for months, and you can't really control it, like it or not.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
TBH with what's been going on in the Nintendo community lately, I'm reminded of this article.

Plus, I'm gonna be honest, Nintendo has had releases this year...just not all huge, megaton AAA releases. So far, they have put out:

-Tokyo Mirage Sessions
-Three Houses DLC
-Byleth in Smash
-Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
-Animal Crossing New Horizons (the big one)
-Mario Maker 2 DLC
-Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive
-Club House Games
-Pokemon DLC
-Min Min in Smash
-Paper Mario The Origami King

That's honestly not that bad of an output. Are a lot of them smaller titles that only appeal to specific fandoms? Yes, but that doesn't make them bad or cause them to not exist.

EDIT: Forgot Club House Games. Y'all should play that one btw: Bowling in it is dope.
Im debating buying Friends of Mineral Town or clubhouse games, idk which to get

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Guys at the end of the day. These are just games. There is more to life then these. That is why I haven't been here as often as I used too.

You have the choice to be on here whenever you want but there's other things like going outside like to your local creek, playing with your dogs, kayaking, reading, writing stories, watch a movie or show, and playing video games. All to pass the time.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Nintendo shouldn't leave people in the dark. If they are having their troubles and can't show us anything please address it and what they plan to do about it. Remember when they directly told us that they were starting over with developing Metroid Prime 4? They could've done what they're doing now and not say a single thing about MP4. But they. told us what was going on and people appreciated that.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Im debating buying Friends of Mineral Town or clubhouse games, idk which to get
Ooh, yeah, I'm really tempted to get FoMT. I might look into it soon after I finish Paper Mario. PBG's video on it sold me; plus as much as I adore Stardew Valley, I really like the cute anime aesthetic of Harvest Moon more.

Club House is really fun, but it does have some odd multiplayer quirks if you care about that. My favorite things to play on it are Bowling, Blackjack, and Checkers.

On the topic of Smash, I'm perfectly fine to wait until Nintendo's ready. Min Min has already made me pretty happy and I pretty much only play Smash as a singleplayer casual game, so I'm good.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
On the topic of Smash, I'm perfectly fine to wait until Nintendo's ready. Min Min has already made me pretty happy and I pretty much only play Smash as a singleplayer casual game, so I'm good.
Yeah, I am personally used to the wait at this point. I can see why people are upset, though.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
At this point, I'm just worried that they'll do the Midnight announcement again. Now that there's a precedant, my mind can't seem to break out of it.

Send help.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
And you have options too, like ignoring this kind of talk, taking a break from here, find something else to do altogether, etc.

This is something you may have to get used to. It has been happening for months, and you can't really control it, like it or not.
I come here to speculate, but you're right really. If the environment isn't all that good for spec, then maybe I ought to spend less time here.

sadshrug.gif

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I know that this drought has dragged on for too long and Nintendo is the only one to blame for such thing, but if I don't feel comfortable with the ambient, it's just as simple as not coming here. Getting worked up over leaks and the lack of news just simply isn't worth it. That's why I don't come here as often as I used to.

D

Deleted member

A few days ago on this thread, I mentioned Billy and Jimmy being characters I started wanting in Smash after the 1st Fighter Pass ended. It's been a good 6 months since then, and I imagine most of us have new tastes in potential characters for Smash now while also feeling rather low on others.

Today I ask all of you what characters you started wanting in Ultimate after Vol 1 was over and what characters you became less interested in as well (it doesn't necessarily mean a character you don't want anymore but rather a character you don't really want as much as you did before). Personally, ever since the entire mysteries and controversies around Cookstar blew up, I started feeling less interested in seeing Cooking Mama in Smash. Don't get me wrong, I like cooking Mama, but the whole thing is a mess, and as unfortunate as this sounds, it doesn't feel like the time for me to want Cooking Mama in Smash now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
A few days ago on this thread, I mentioned Billy and Jimmy being characters I started wanting in Smash after the 1st Fighter Pass ended. It's been a good 6 months since then, and I imagine most of us have new tastes in potential characters for Smash now while also feeling rather low on others.

Today I ask all of you what characters you started wanting in Ultimate after Vol 1 was over and what characters you became less interested in as well (it doesn't necessarily mean a character you don't want anymore but rather a character you don't really want as much as you did before). Personally, ever since the entire mysteries and controversies around Cookstar blew up, I started feeling less interested in seeing Cooking Mama in Smash. Don't get me wrong, I like cooking Mama, but the whole thing is a mess, and as unfortunate as this sounds, it doesn't feel like the time for me to want Cooking Mama in Smash now.
After Vol 1 was over: Octoling, post-Byleth reveal
Became less interested in: Dante, cause I guess I saw the merits in Phoenix more and thought about how Dante would break the meta like Bayonetta did in 4. I still NEED Devil Trigger in Smash though

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
After Vol 1 was over: Octoling, post-Byleth reveal
Became less interested in: Dante, cause I guess I saw the merits in Phoenix more and thought about how Dante would break the meta like Bayonetta did in 4. I still NEED Devil Trigger in Smash though
I mean, considering how much Bayo got blown up in the transition to Ultimate, they could probably have a better idea of how to balance Dante if he were to get in.

Balance in general has been pretty good this go around.

Oppih

Smash Rookie
Here's a question that's probably been discussed before but what is everyones stance on Mii Costumes? Do they deconfirm in any way or not at all?

For me I'm pretty certain DLC costumes deconfirm but I'm still on the fence about base-game costumes. If someone has a good argument or points about how costumes don't then I'd love to hear.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Here's a question that's probably been discussed before but what is everyones stance on Mii Costumes? Do they deconfirm in any way or not at all?
Depends on the character and the timeframe between the release of the costume and now IMO.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

For me I'm pretty certain DLC costumes deconfirm but I'm still on the fence about base-game costumes. If someone has a good argument or points about how costumes don't then I'd love to hear.
full body costumes that don't have their playable version already available do deconfirm imo, base or not. I used to only think DLC ones deconfirmed, but since ppl were considering Ribbon Girl who's a costume in base, and Min Min was the one actually selected, i revised my stance.

standalone wigs/hats, not so much (such as Dixie Kong's wig)

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
My post isn't related to speculation, but I just want to remind people that right now on the American Eshop there's some very good deal if you're bored and want something to play:
-There's a lot of Capcom games in sales like Okami hd at 10$, Phoenix Wright trilogy for 15$ and a bunch of Resident evil games that are between 7$ to 15$
-Square enix also have a huge sales with FFX/X2 collection at 25$, Collection of Mana at 20$, world of final fantasy at 20$ and many more Final fantasy titles in sale.
-If you're into that there's also a bunch of Lego games that are between 10$ to 15$
-Crash trilogy and Spyro trilogy are 20$ each

There's probably more than that but it's a good place to start if you're looking for a game to play. Yes, I also want new announcement, but it's not illegal to play older games sometimes.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
i mean, it's not like every single person in the fanbase wanted all three of these characters and no one else

'sides, like garteam said, this ain't really about smash specifically

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
My post isn't related to speculation, but I just want to remind people that right now on the American Eshop there's some very good deal if you're bored and want something to play:
-There's a lot of Capcom games in sales like Okami hd at 10$, Phoenix Wright trilogy for 15$ and a bunch of Resident evil games that are between 7$ to 15$
-Square enix also have a huge sales with FFX/X2 collection at 25$, Collection of Mana at 20$, world of final fantasy at 20$ and many more Final fantasy titles in sale.
-If you're into that there's also a bunch of Lego games that are between 10$ to 15$
-Crash trilogy and Spyro trilogy are 20$ each

There's probably more than that but it's a good place to start if you're looking for a game to play. Yes, I also want new announcement, but it's not illegal to play older games sometimes.
wasn't TWEWY on sale for Square lately too?

SharkLord

Smash Hero

So basically, I discovered Touhou and Reimu shot up to the status most wanted. Besides her, my interest in Miriam has declined a bit now that Bloodstained is less relevant in my mind. Bandana Dee has dropped a little too, but that's less because I like him less and more because Reimu took his place.
full body costumes that don't have their playable version already available do deconfirm imo, base or not. I used to only think DLC ones deconfirmed, but since ppl were considering Ribbon Girl who's a costume in base, and Min Min was the one actually selected, i revised my stance.

standalone wigs/hats, not so much (such as Dixie Kong's wig)
Min Min wasn't chosen because of "deconfirmations," though. The ARMS rep was Min Min because Yabuki wanted Min Min. Assist Trophies were only mentioned in passing because Spring Man was one, and Mii Costumes weren't mentioned at all. Plus, Spring Man and Ribbon Girl were on the reveal teaser and were featured fairly prominently in the trailer. They were presented as viable candidates there, and they were most likely considered viable candidates by Sakurai and Nintendo.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man

Base game costumes (that aren't already Assists, at least) are in the same realm as Spirits, I feel. Characters that weren't really in contention at the time because they had already decided on FP1.

DLC costumes are an entirely different story, though you could make a case for Rex I guess.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Base game costumes (that aren't already Assists, at least) are in the same realm as Spirits, I feel. Characters that weren't really in contention at the time because they had already decided on FP1.

DLC costumes are an entirely different story, though you could make a case for Rex I guess.
I think Rex is off the hook because his Mii was a free bonus bundled with the Fighter's Pass, meaning it was most likely chosen during the production of the base game.

SKX31

Smash Master
I mean, considering how much Bayo got blown up in the transition to Ultimate, they could probably have a better idea of how to balance Dante if he were to get in.

Balance in general has been pretty good this go around.
That said: Bayo was still as broken during Ultimate's E3 2018 demo (and the Invitational) - it suggests that the balancing took place rather late in development, and / or Sakurai might not have prioritized Bayonetta as much had he not witnessed MKLeo's Bayonetta destroy Plup's Ridley during that Invitational.

As for that.. it's difficult for me to say honestly. My interest in Overwatch waned a little, but that's more because of my personal wishlist becoming much more crowded during Vol 2.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
You know how this fandom can be overly quick to call characters "confirmed" to the point its a bit of a meme to to call something "confirmed" over the slightest hint?

I feel we're the same way with the term "deconfirm". Confirmed implies we know something for certain and deconfirmed is the same way. Just look at how much people doubled down on spirits "deconfirm" until the ARMS character announcement came around.

What we should be asking is if costumes hurt a character's chances. It's a bit hasty to say they do or don't confirm outright when we can't know for certain until precedent is broken or a developer says as much themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom