• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

zferolie

Smash Hero
If you ask me, Nintendo just really has a thing for being secretive, which works both as a merit and a detriment.

It's a merit because, when they pull out the big guns well, no doubt they hype reaches very high levels.

But it's also a detriment because of the little transparency they have with their consumers causing quite the disappointments when the news are average.
They also bred the insane fanboy expecting the big hype and surprise, and they are surprised why people react poorly when not getting the news.

Different companies have been affected in different ways and varying degrees. Some have adapted pretty okay and are mostly back on track, and some have been like Nintendo where it has apparently been a real struggle. From what we can speculate based off of news articles we've received this year, a lot of it has to do with Nintendo's super old-school way of doing things clashing with the work at home environment. The transition to working at home seems to have been an extremely rough process for them, and the company seems to be having a rough go of adapting.

Basically, Nintendo has a lot of antiquated infrastructure and methods of doing things by today's standards, so when presented with a situation that requires them to work radically different than what they're used to, they weren't prepared for it.
True, that would make sense given their past, but wish tey were a bitt more open, like say its a struggle, so people don't think its not effecting them much. People would understand more,

I didn't watch the PlayStation 5 Showcase stream, but from what I understand, some of the major titles shown off aren't coming until 2021... but at least they bothered to show them, period.

All I ask of Nintendo is, if they've really got rumored stuff like the Mario 3D remasters, a Pikmin 3 Switch port, and a new 2D Metroid coming in the future, then announce them already. Yeah, they might have to be delayed because of the virus, but as Metroid Prime 4 demonstrated, you can delay things and people will be perfectly understandable about it as long as you're transparent about it. Just tell us what to expect for the remainder of 2020, regardless of any possible delays.
Indeed, nintendo was ballsy doing that for prime 4, and everyone respected them for it.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
Different companies have been affected in different ways and varying degrees. Some have adapted pretty okay and are mostly back on track, and some have been like Nintendo where it has apparently been a real struggle. From what we can speculate based off of news articles we've received this year, a lot of it has to do with Nintendo's super old-school way of doing things clashing with the work at home environment. The transition to working at home seems to have been an extremely rough process for them, and the company seems to be having a rough go of adapting.

Basically, Nintendo has a lot of antiquated infrastructure and methods of doing things by today's standards, so when presented with a situation that requires them to work radically different than what they're used to, they weren't prepared for it.
When you realize that Furukawa was serious about not receiving complaints through faxes.
Shocked Marie.png

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
True, that would make sense given their past, but wish tey were a bitt more open, like say its a struggle, so people don't think its not effecting them much. People would understand more,
people should be understanding anyway and im shocked at how many people are still demanding nintendo show **** when they are IN ****s creek right now

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
people should be understanding anyway and im shocked at how many people are still demanding nintendo show **** when they are IN ****s creek right now
I'm shocked that you think a basic announcement with a "date subject to change due to virus" asterisk is too much to ask.

We're not asking Nintendo to give us a huge Mario 3D remaster trailer with 20 minutes of gameplay footage and a release date of next week... we're just asking that they tell us the Mario 3D remasters are a real thing and are coming at some point, and nothing more.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I'm not trying to say anything bad, or being spoiled. I just think words go well. There are plenty of people out there that still don't get how ****ed a lot of the world and busniess are still. Those people need it said right to their faces.

Plus remember, nintendo has bred a fandom with drip feeding information, but then givng a ton out at once... but that hasn't happened in nearly a year. Nintendo should do like they did with Prime 4. Make a video, say, they had somke games planned, but they don't even know if they will come out, please understand. And they will.

But we see them talking to investores, saying things are still ok, and they still have games planned. so people are all ****ed up confused.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Nintendo should do like they did with Prime 4. Make a video, say, they had somke games planned, but they don't even know if they will come out, please understand. And they will.
This... so ****ing much.

If they're not gonna tell us what games to expect, they can at least be honest and say "We've got some games coming, but due to the virus, they need to be delayed, please understand." Again, Metroid Prime 4 shows that this can be a good option.

SKX31

Smash Master
When you realize that Furukawa was serious about not receiving complaints through faxes.
Not just faxes - remember that Nintendo has been based in Kyoto since 1889 and their development teams have been concentrated in Kyoto / Tokyo ever since Yamauchi, Yokoi and co. established their video game division in the mid-70s. Most other companies have their dev teams spread out - from console rivals (Sony, Microsoft) to other third parties (SEGA, EA, Tencent just to name three examples) so they're used to working in the cloud.

Any old organizations used to their ways are going to struggle to adapt because the old ways are ingrained into the general work culture.

I didn't watch the PlayStation 5 Showcase stream, but from what I understand, some of the major titles shown off aren't coming until 2021... but at least they bothered to show them, period.

All I ask of Nintendo is, if they've really got rumored stuff like the Mario 3D remasters, a Pikmin 3 Switch port, and a new 2D Metroid coming in the future, then announce them already. Yeah, they might have to be delayed because of the virus, but as Metroid Prime 4 demonstrated, you can delay things and people will be perfectly understandable about it as long as you're transparent about it. Just tell us what to expect for the remainder of 2020, regardless of any possible delays.
There are quite a few PS5 games that won't come out until 2021 / 22ish (especially those without a given release date), but they are also filling the lineup with cross-platform (PS4, Windows) games. It's still a good move on their part to show them since it showed the long-term plans Sony have. The XSX is doing the same thing: showing a number of post-launch games and filling the lineup with cross-platform games. Especially given that Microsoft's betting a lot on the Game Pass.

I do agree that Nintendo should be more transparent in this case: while Nintendo won't "win" the Holiday 2020 window - they don't need to - they need to at least have something, or both shareholders and the hardcore will have lots of questions about Nintendo's adaptability. The Switch doesn't compete with the PS5 or XSX, but the contrast between the two and the Switch is going to be even more apparent if the Switch doesn't have anything.

Then again, Jump Rope Challenge was probably the "Oh **** we gotta get something out while people are waiting! We don't wanna come into the summer with just TOK!"

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
PlayStation and Xbox are releasing new consoles around the holidays, of course they are going to mostly show games coming out 2021. Nintendo, however, has a console out right now, so having no games or nearly no games in the remainder of the year is going to look bad, that's a no-brainer.

That said, I'm completely opposed to companies only wanting to show their catalogue for the coming year for no reason. Sure, if the coming year is strong, then yeah, by all means, show me just that. If you have nothing? Then show me the goods for next year, or the year after that, or even a TBD game. Who cares that it's not coming this year? At least we know it's coming eventually.

Nintendo especially should be aware that it's not a PR issue for games to be delayed. Breath of the Wild constantly got pushed, and it's still the best selling Zelda game and one of the most acclaimed of all time. New Horizons also got delayed and nobody **** on Nintendo for that. People outright praised them for Prime 4. And, hell, the most famous quote about how delaying games is good is from their golden boy Miyamoto.

zferolie

Smash Hero
PlayStation and Xbox are releasing new consoles around the holidays, of course they are going to mostly show games coming out 2021. Nintendo, however, has a console out right now, so having no games or nearly no games in the remainder of the year is going to look bad, that's a no-brainer.

That said, I'm completely opposed to companies only wanting to show their catalogue for the coming year for no reason. Sure, if the coming year is strong, then yeah, by all means, show me just that. If you have nothing? Then show me the goods for next year, or the year after that, or even a TBD game. Who cares that it's not coming this year? At least we know it's coming eventually.

Nintendo especially should be aware that it's not a PR issue for games to be delayed. Breath of the Wild constantly got pushed, and it's still the best selling Zelda game and one of the most acclaimed of all time. New Horizons also got delayed and nobody **** on Nintendo for that. People outright praised them for Prime 4. And, hell, the most famous quote about how delaying games is good is from their golden boy Miyamoto.
exactly! Words are very important. just show anything, but it seems like nintendo doesn't want to show anything untill its like a month out(bareing a few exceptions) right now, and it doesn't look good. Right now, with 2 systems coming, they need to show why people should just stay with nintendo.

And yes, that 1 quote is great, and should not be afraid to show a game then delay it

D

Deleted member

nintendo hella behind industry standard rn even with coronavirus

sony and microsoft both had some pretty big showings, mainly focused around their new consoles while nintendo has rogue company

kylexv

Smash Master
Nintendo, a company perpetually stuck in the 90s, could never accomodate for a work-from-home environment, as that was impossible in the 90s.

Related but unrelated, I've heard it's still industry standard in Japan to use fax machines.

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I feel that Nintendo video game department took a big hit, but their non-video game department looks to be fine.

Next week on August 1 is the release of LEGO Super Mario, LEGO NES, Mario 35th Anniversary Monopoly, Mario Jenga, and Mario-themed X Rocker chairs (UK). I expect something Mario-related is happening near the end of July or at the beginning of August. Heck, I dare says that a direct is going to aired at July 29-30, just a repeat of the Hero presentation air date.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Honestly, I feel that Nintendo video game department took a big hit, but their non-video game department looks to be fine.

Next week on August 1 is the release of LEGO Super Mario, LEGO NES, Mario 35th Anniversary Monopoly, Mario Jenga, and Mario-themed X Rocker chairs (UK). I except something Mario-related is happening near the end of July or at the beginning of August. Heck, I dare says that a direct is going to aired at July 29-30, just a repeat of the Hero presentation air date.
That would fit in to the old schedule of Tuesday announcement, Thursday presentation, so that wouldn't surprise me too much.

D

Deleted member

Nintendo, a company perpetually stuck in the 90s, could never accomodate for a work-from-home environment, as that was impossible in the 90s.

Related but unrelated, I've heard it's still industry standard in Japan to use fax machines.
I work in a school in the US; its still standard for us to use fax machines as well. I'm trying to encourage emailing records between schools, but they prefer fax and US Mail of all things.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
i'm still confused on why all the radio silence from Nintendo too, but to give them some benefit of a doubt
Sony and Microsoft keep making big presentations because they got new consoles coming
Unless Nintendo's about to bust out the Switch 2 within the next few months, they don't necessarily have a reason to make a huge blowout if they don't want to

We typically get the most recent of those and its not just Fire Emblem.

Earthbound
While this is true, it's still worth noting for context that Lucas was only added to Smash in the first place cause Sakurai thought Mother 3 was coming to the west
and he intended for Lucas to outright replace Ness at that, not just an extra addition
but then Mother 3 got tossed out the window so he just decided to bring Ness back anyway

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
When things have gotten to the point where a leak of 25 year old prototypes/source codes feels like the most notable Nintendo news in a while, that's a bit telling.

In general it does expose the weakness of the Direct buzz model; when that stops being viewed as reliable or consistent, then a patient trust in what's to come can quickly turn to annoyed disdain at the company for (at least in the minds of some consumers) cutting the line of major communication too significantly and without enough reason. You live by the hype, you die by the hype.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Combined with that other dude I’d say we will see a shadow drop of another direct
it'd be incredibly ironic if the first real direct in forever would also be on the first day in almost 5 months I wouldn't be able to watch it live. I don't really believe it, but wow that would be unlucky.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
i'm still confused on why all the radio silence from Nintendo too, but to give them some benefit of a doubt
Sony and Microsoft keep making big presentations because they got new consoles coming
Unless Nintendo's about to bust out the Switch 2 within the next few months, they don't necessarily have a reason to make a huge blowout if they don't want to

While this is true, it's still worth noting for context that Lucas was only added to Smash in the first place cause Sakurai thought Mother 3 was coming to the west
and he intended for Lucas to outright replace Ness at that, not just an extra addition
but then Mother 3 got tossed out the window so he just decided to bring Ness back anyway
Mother is truly the luckiest unlucky franchise.

D

Deleted member

king zell's bold m and s is actually a tease for the MEGA SWITCH releasing 2021

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I'm shocked that you think a basic announcement with a "date subject to change due to virus" asterisk is too much to ask.

We're not asking Nintendo to give us a huge Mario 3D remaster trailer with 20 minutes of gameplay footage and a release date of next week... we're just asking that they tell us the Mario 3D remasters are a real thing and are coming at some point, and nothing more.
preach. Not expecting all the bells and whistles, just show us all or partial of the E3 plans ... no one is expecting a bunch of releases or dates, just plans.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
"There are rumblings"

Yeah, there have been rumblings since before E3 even would've happened and there will continue to be rumblings until we get a proper Direct because the fanbase is parched and therefore particularly susceptible to getting duped by baseless whispers.

We will get information at some point, because at some point Nintendo is going to have to pull back the curtain on whatever fall/winter plans have been left standing, but you lot shouldn't rest your faith in Ms. Treadmore.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Mother is truly the luckiest unlucky franchise.
Smash 64: Ness got in because of his similar body shape to Mario, cutting development time.

Melee: Ness almost got cut for Lucas but Earthbound 64 got cancelled.

Brawl: Lucas would have been axed if Sakurai knew Mother 3 wasn't going to be localized.

SSB4: Lucas did get cut, but was one of three cut vets brought back, and was the only cut Brawl newcomer brought back.

Ultimate: I dunno

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Nintendo will announce things like they always do: Whenever they well dang please, lol. Also, I wouldn't put any stock into the whole "rumblings" thing; that account is 100% trolling. :p

Truth be told, I am a simple enough man that all I need to feel satisfied with their holiday lineup is a Pikmin 3 port.

Nintendo pls.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Kind of odd to think that, if things played out a little differently we could've gotten two of the Original Twelve cut in Brawl.

zferolie

Smash Hero
i just don't see any positive about being silent for nintendo. like we all said, people would understand if they outright say we have had issues, we had games planned but we don't know if they would be avalible at this time. please understand.

Saying nothing just comes off as not knowing what they are doing and had no plansd even before the virus

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
At this point I wouldn't even be surprised if Nintendo just unceremoniously dropped the Mario collection on twitter like they did with Paper Mario and instead spent 80% these stop-gap Direct fragments showcasing games that don't interest a lot of the demographic due to existing contractual obligation.

Well, contractual obligation and a general indifference/inability to read the room, probably stemming from NCL.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
hotgirlvideos69 is exactly as I'd expect from a name like that.

A ****ty account that posts nothing but teases.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Smash 64: Ness got in because of his similar body shape to Mario, cutting development time.

Brawl: Lucas would have been axed if Sakurai knew Mother 3 wasn't going to be localized.

SSB4: Lucas did get cut, but was one of three cut vets brought back, and was the only cut Brawl newcomer.

Ultimate: EVERYONE IS HERE (Young Link's and Pichu's return in particular signalled that Ness and Lucas could coexist without issues) + Hinawa and Claus placed literally just before WoL's final battle + both Ness and Lucas got some appriciated balance changes - Ness in particular is at a high point competitively. (Yea, I know, not counting the online PK Fire spam. Edited for clarity.)

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Support is always more visible and vocal when the community thinks its likely.
I wonder if this is why support for Krystal died down after Brawl despite being in a similar situation to another Rare character, K. Rool, while support for him skyrocketed. Both hadn't appeared in their series for a long time. The last DK game K. Rool was in was Donkey Kong Jungle Climber (2007), while the last Star Fox game Krystal was in was Star Fox Command (2006). Did Krystal fans think she wasn't ever going to appear again? I suppose her absence in Zero didn't help either...

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

SSB4: Lucas did get cut, but was one of three cut vets brought back, and was the only cut Brawl newcomer brought back.

Ultimate didn't add a lot of Earthbound content, but it got every characters and every past stages of the franchises (4 stages is quite a lot for a niche franchises with 3 games) + they made new 3d models of Paula, Poo, Kumatora and Boney for both characters final smash. It's also one of the few franchise with a new items (the mushroom) and it got 2 new remixes (which is not a lot but still). For a franchise that don't have any new game since 2006 that is pretty good of new content if you'd ask me.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I wonder if this is why support for Krystal died down after Brawl despite being in a similar situation to another Rare character, K. Rool, while support for him skyrocketed. Both hadn't appeared in their series for a long time. The last DK game K. Rool was in was Donkey Kong Jungle Climber (2007), while the last Star Fox game Krystal was in was Star Fox Command (2006). Did Krystal fans think she wasn't ever going to appear again? I suppose her absence in Zero didn't help either...
Mostly cause after Wolf, most people didn't think Star Fox could get a fourth character.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Mostly cause after Wolf, most people didn't think Star Fox could get a fourth character.
Member when Star Fox was overrepresented in Smash and Fire Emblem was underrepresented?

How times have changed...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
the only feasible option was Krystal, who unfortunately became an AT. personally i can't imagine Leon Powalski or Panther Caroso without being same-y

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom