• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Here's an idea then. The last character you played as is playable, and their homestage is the last stage you played, who is it? For me, it'd be Rouge the Bat and her homestage is Security Hall from SA2. Not the Sonic character I hoped for tbh
For me, it would be Master Chief on the Halo from Halo 1. I started playing Halo 1 for the first time on Wednesday night, and I took a break after the second level.

While Master Chief wouldn't be my first choice for a space marine wearing green armour, and I'm not overly familiar with what he can do (I know that Halo 4 and 5 give him more abilities, but it's been a while since I played 4, and I haven't played 5), his inclusion would definitely be an exciting one.

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
I have a question for people. Since Sakurai is obviously trying to make each DLC character bring something new to the table and I think he's even claimed as much, do your most wanteds actually have the capacity to do so? For example, I know Rex talk has gotten stale, but I would like Rex (even though I'm unsure if Nintendo agrees), and one of his strengths is that Pyra and the concept of Blades provides some material for unique play mechanics.

My unpopular opinion is Crash, while iconic, I feel would probably have a basic b*tch moveset. I have a hard time imagining some kind of unique mechanic that hasn't been done belonging solely to him. If someone wants to prove me wrong, I encourage it.
Well Dante is pretty unique with style switching and his multitude of weapons. Nero has his devil breakers too. Jetstream Sam has chargeable attacks that change his combos and an air dash (surprised I haven’t seen a clash character with that yet) and Magnus would really just be a brawl type newcomer with a pretty standard moveset, but I guess being a fast and mobile heavy would be unique.

Here's an idea then. The last character you played as is playable, and their homestage is the last stage you played, who is it? For me, it'd be Rouge the Bat and her homestage is Security Hall from SA2. Not the Sonic character I hoped for tbh
Mine would be Dante and the Qliphoth. Yeah, that’s pretty good

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
What's a character you want purely for their significance to gaming as a whole? Mine is definitely Crash Bandicoot.
Master Chief. While I do like Chief as a character, the reason I want him in is because of how big to the industry he and the Halo franchise is as a whole. That and having the literal face of Microsoft in a game like Smash Bros. would be quite the monumental thing to see.

While Dante, Doomguy and Kratos would also fit in here because they have significance to the industry, Chief I feel like he would be more significant then them (even though I think Kratos would have the bigger "wow" factor). I think Sephiroth could also fit in here as he has left an impact on the industry as well, especially in the musical realm.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
What's a character you want purely for their significance to gaming as a whole? Mine is definitely Crash Bandicoot.
Pretty much Lara Croft, although there is some nostalgia behind that as well considering I've played the early Tomb Raiders waaay back when. Crash as well but nostalgia plays a bigger role over his significance to gaming.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Hmmm

After watching the Halo Infinite demo, I have determined that Master Chiefis now about 60%more likely to be DLC for ultimate, due to him now having a grapple hook for a DLC tether recovery.

So basically it's 50/50 between MC and a Bakugan rep.

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
Hmmm

After watching the Halo Infinite demo, I have determined that Master Chiefis now about 60%more likely to be DLC for ultimate, due to him now having a grapple hook for a DLC tether recovery.

So basically it's 50/50 between MC and a Bakugan rep.
How is bakugan even considered a rep? Isn’t just a toy?

Faso115

Smash Lord
Character with a lot of history? Well you all know i want Crash Bandicoot so i won't beat around the bush with that now.

Less with a specific character and more of a genre. Shooter, either 3rd of 1st person would do for me, we only really got Samus for the latter.

Here's an idea then. The last character you played as is playable, and their homestage is the last stage you played, who is it?
Dark Souls Undead, in Lost Izalith.

I feel like it's the worst possible stage choice from that game, but it's not bad, just kind of bland. Dark Souls has so many good environments that a place half sunk in lava doesn't seem very exciting.

I'm definitely on the Lara Croft train, but I'd be happy for a lot of people if Master Chief got in.

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
I would pick master Chief because he means a lot to me & is the more superior ms rep out of all of the others

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Genuinely it's Captain Toad...in Mario Kart Tour. On a work break.

I think the last track I played was Koopa Troopa Beach 2.

Crash Bandicoot, Lara Croft, A Resident Evil character(Personally I prefer Chris, same as Capcom, but everyone else wants Jill and Leon), Gordon Freeman.
Tbf with all of them it's not purely for their significance, but it is the overwhelmingly biggest part of their appeal.

I have a question for people. Since Sakurai is obviously trying to make each DLC character bring something new to the table and I think he's even claimed as much, do your most wanteds actually have the capacity to do so? For example, I know Rex talk has gotten stale, but I would like Rex (even though I'm unsure if Nintendo agrees), and one of his strengths is that Pyra and the concept of Blades provides some material for unique play mechanics.

My unpopular opinion is Crash, while iconic, I feel would probably have a basic b*tch moveset. I have a hard time imagining some kind of unique mechanic that hasn't been done belonging solely to him. If someone wants to prove me wrong, I encourage it.
Captain Toad can't jump* and has to manipulate the environment to get around. That's new. Is it functional? Probably not, but it's certainly new.

*Aside from Mario Galaxy where he allegedly wall jumps after a monkey who has Mario's cap, Mario Kart Tour where he jumps up and down regularly(See my avatar for him leaping out the Kart) and a cutscene in Captain Toad Treasure Tracker on Wii U(removed in Switch and 3DS versions) which has him hop a little to pull himself into a pipe in the end credits.

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Last game I played was Persona 4 Golden, but wait, Yu Narukami is already in Smash Bros...

(or should I say Narukamii)

Last edited:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
I would say Steve, but I also want him due to Minecraft being one of my first video games. And I would say Chell, but that’s biased too..
Okay, a character I want purely for their icon status would be Gordon Freeman.
I’ve never played the games but he looks like he’d be a fun character.
I constantly forget Ryu exists in BoF because MvC fans keep asking for Nina instead lmao
Nina is dumm and stoopid
Neither are getting in (Smash, at least. Praying for their chances in a MvC game) so my Ike Amiibo with the player 7 alt will have to do.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think that a character from Overwatch or Borderlands could be interesting. And a bit less japanese, which would be a nice change of pace.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Doom Guy, Crash Bandicoot and Sora if his series is significant to gaming. I'm not too crazy over characters like Master Chief, Lara Croft or Gordon Freeman.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Most of the characters I want seem to fall into this category.
Crash Bandicoot, Lara Croft, Sora, Frogger, Carmen SanDiego, Scorpion, Jill Valentine...

This is when an inclusion feels most satisfying to me. It's why I welcomed Hero, and why Terry was an amazing inclusion in my eyes.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Six months and waiting...
bywait.png

"counting the seconds, standing alone, as thousands of years go by..."
That'd be the player character from Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Rescue Team DX (in my case a Typhlosion) with the Wishing Cave as a stage. . .
Well, at least there's Mystery Dungeon content in Smash then?
I'd be ecstatic if this happened. Typhlosion was my favorite Pokemon from my first ever Pokemon game (HGSS) until last year, and he's a much better addition to smash than my new number one (Cursola).

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Lara Croft, Ryu Hayabusa, and Master Chief.

Crash Bandicoot and Doomguy might also qualify, but I'd want to see them for reasons beyond their significance to gaming. (getting to see Mario vs. Sonic vs. Crash, and wanting to see how well the developers could translate Doom's frantic gameplay where standing still means death into Smash)

I don't have much of a connection to the first three (I played some Halo games a few years back, and I'm playing through Ninja Gaiden Sigma at the moment; my Tomb Raider experience mostly consists of the recent movie with Alicia Vikander), but if we're going by how important they are to gaming as a whole, they should definitely be in.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Lara Croft, Ryu Hayabusa, and Master Chief.

Crash Bandicoot and Doomguy might also qualify, but I'd want to see them for reasons beyond their significance to gaming. (getting to see Mario vs. Sonic vs. Crash, and wanting to see how well the developers could translate Doom's frantic gameplay where standing still means death into Smash)

I don't have much of a connection to the first three (I played some Halo games a few years back, and I'm playing through Ninja Gaiden Sigma at the moment; my Tomb Raider experience mostly consists of the recent movie with Alicia Vikander), but if we're going by how important they are to gaming as a whole, they should definitely be in.
Since you brought up the movies, I think that is an important reason my list consisted so much of movie icons. Movies, historically, make a lot more money overall than a video game. Thus, when evaluating the biggest media franchises of all time, it's not possible to overlook series like Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, and Mortal Kombat. Much of their revenue came from the movies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Sora (KH3) and the Station of Awakening (From Secret Boss Fight)

I'm very happy with this.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
For me, it would be Paper Mario with Picnic Road (from OK) as the stage.

...I'd be okay with this.

SKX31

Smash Master
A lot of characters. A lot of them.

Significance plays a major factor generally, movesets another, and I'm generally appealed by the idea of "bigger, bigger, BIGGER!"

I think that a character from Overwatch or Borderlands could be interesting. And a bit less japanese, which would be a nice change of pace.
Seconding those RaintheCriminalWhirlwind RaintheCriminalWhirlwind mentioned, but I think Winston has a solid shot on his own. Not just as co-protagonist (Tracer's the mascot, but Winston's not far behind in terms of importance to the story), but also since a certain reference points to a contrast:

• D.Va: A giant gorilla! Just like in those old video games!
  • Winston: I get that a lot.
So yeah, Winston could be a really interesting contrast to :ultdk:. Partly because the Tesla Cannon would be a unique weapon. The closest I can think of is TimeSplitters' ElectroTool (and it's not as central to Cortez's potential playstyle as the Tesla Cannon is to Winston's. I'd associate Cortez more with the Plasma Autorifle and its associated grenade).

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Not anymore they don't. The video game industry earns more than double what the film industry does these days.

View attachment 279959View attachment 279960
The industry- yes. Video games are the fastest growing entertainment medium, and have been for a decade or so.
But not the individual films, blockbusters, make more than the blockbuster games.

Last edited:

Sysreq

Smash Ace
The industry- yes. Video games are the fastest growing entertainment medium, and have been for a decade or so.
But not the individual films, blockbusters, make more than the blockbuster games.
Did you not see the pictures I posted? That was 4 times as much.

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord

The above test, I feel very strongly that Arle would excel at standing out from the crowd, mostly through chaining which I envision as both her greatest strength and weakness (you get stronger as you land more hits, and take more damage as more hits are landed on you). That alone would probably suffice, but in terms of the basics being a magician certainly doesn't help.

I have no idea where to start with Paper Mario. Guy could probably take up 5 slots on the roster before he'd run out of material to work with.

Even Frisk could have some form of mode change system where you can have them start neutral and go either pacifistic or genocidal, with the appropriate balancing (one is more geared towards survivability, the other towards making everything dead).

Ironically enough Lloyd is probably the character who I want most who struggles the most with this. The best I can envision for him is "combo Shulk" using EX Gems rather than some sort of levelling up system for his moves that doesn't really gel with how Symphonia handles things, but he's very much an "easy street" kind of character, very honest. Like you said, Crash is close, but I feel like Aku Aku could be that X factor, reducing the damage he takes until Aku's gone and then you've got one of the frailest characters in the game. You could also make his spin basically the Swiss army knife it is in his series.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Did you not see the pictures I posted? That was 4 times as much.
Yes... they were cut off. The 58 million is just what the movie earned in the USA. Tomb Raider 2018, considered the worst of the three movies, earned 278 million worldwide.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I feel like some people are too focused on the concept of promoting new games. That only happened twice in the first pass, with Hero and Byleth. There isn't even an ARMS 2 to promote at the moment. I know there's XCDE, but what would there be to add? We already have Shulk and Gaur Plain. Besides, XC2 was a hit and got a lot of extra content after release. Sure, ARMS sold better, but XC2 got more attention. If Rex was added, that would sell because XC2 did well and the success would bleed into Smash.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
I'm pretty sure if Overwatch was to get a character it would Tracer. Jeff Kaplan, the game's director, literally said in a Overwatch 2 interview that if he had to choose someone to be in Smash, it would be Tracer.
Here's the source: https://youtu.be/Zwq1FtM_WVE?t=191

Last edited:

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Yes... they were cut off. The 58 million is just what the movie earned in the USA. Tomb Raider 2018, considered the worst of the three movies, earned 278 million worldwide.
Weirdly enough it earned about as much as the first one. Also I couldn't find hard numbers but this is the best I got for comparison. Interpret it as you will, the films being under Other along with other stuff. I acknowledge your point but still think games can make more money, depending.
1595609360941.png

Attachments

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I feel like some people are too focused on the concept of promoting new games. That only happened twice in the first pass, with Hero and Byleth. There isn't even an ARMS 2 to promote at the moment. I know there's XCDE, but what would there be to add? We already have Shulk and Gaur Plain. Besides, XC2 was a hit and got a lot of extra content after release. Sure, ARMS sold better, but XC2 got more attention. If Rex was added, that would sell because XC2 did well and the success would bleed into Smash.
You could argue that three of the four non-veteran first-parties added as DLC, Corrin, Byleth and Min Min, are promotional for different reasons.

If first-parties are part of the discussion, I feel like it's natural to assume "promotional" characters are the most likely.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
You could argue that three of the four non-veteran first-parties added as DLC, Corrin, Byleth and Min Min, are promotional for different reasons.

If first-parties are part of the discussion, I feel like it's natural to assume "promotional" characters are the most likely.
That's fair, but while the iron isn't as hot as it was during the base game, I still think Rex is someone Nintendo would go for. ARMS was getting promoted with Min Min, but I think XC2 did well enough to help promote Smash/FP2, if that makes sense. It did well, and so it's pack would help make more money because of that success.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom