• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

FJA147

Smash Cadet
That brings me to the question of how would Japan react to Master Chief. Xbox and Halo is niche in Japan. I think it might be like how it was for the west when Hero was announced at E3. Overall I think Master Chief would break the internet in the West and would represent a unrepresented big genre of First person shooter.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Of the other games, Star Fox Assault had a great multiplayer and I'd very much like to see what the timeline where Rare had enough time to finish Adventures looks like. Command, the story is such a put-off for me. Like Comic writer smashing the series over the head with a mallet labeled DRAMA off-putting.

I'm thinking late August personally.
SF has an innate ability to have really interesting elements that they either don't utilize to their potential or arbitrarily decide not to bring back.

"64's on rails exploration leading to different paths and thus different levels works so well for replayability, that clearly the next couple of games shouldn't have them."

"Hey the maps in Assault aren't the best for all range single player, the on foot segments are bit rough, and its too linear, but the multiplayer is universally praised, so we won't bring that back."

"Command's story is laughable, the RTS elements unnecessary, and the stylus controls are awkward, but being able to select your own ship is such a great concept that it should just stay in this game."

There's a fantastic hypothetical Star Fox game taking the best elements from the SNES games, 64, Assault, Command, Zero, & the SF elements from Starlink but who knows if we'll ever get it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Those might be more partner directs. They implied that there will be more.
They implied there'd be more Mini Directs, not Partner Directs specifically; I think they're just splitting up the normal 1 hr long Direct they have once a year around this time to several mini Directs.

From their point of view, they likely think that several mini announcements will repeatedly garner attention and keep the eye on Nintendo longer than one large announcement would.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
You know, I'm curious. Is there anybody you guys consider a sleeper pick right now? Low key, that they're not that likely but aren't to be underestimated, or high key that these are major contenders that nobody ever talks about for some reason.

For the record, I'd consider these guys "hot" or "warm" characters who probably don't qualify. Hot gets a lot of discussion, warm gets a supple amount. Might've forgotten a few warms, maybe a hot character.

Hot: Waluigi, Crash, Shantae, a Galarian Pokémon in general, Geno, Master Chief, Steve, Doom Slayer, Dante, Rex (with or without Pyra)

Warm: Isaac, Cinderace, Urshifu, Toxtricity, Arle, Bandana Dee, Paper Mario, Lloyd Irving, Phoenix Wright

If you were to ask me who I think is a sleeper pick, low key I'd say Frisk is (how come Cuphead got a spirit event but Undertale didn't?), and I don't have a high key pick.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
You know, I'm curious. Is there anybody you guys consider a sleeper pick right now? Low key, that they're not that likely but aren't to be underestimated, or high key that these are major contenders that nobody ever talks about for some reason.

For the record, I'd consider these guys "hot" or "warm" characters who probably don't qualify. Hot gets a lot of discussion, warm gets a supple amount. Might've forgotten a few warms, maybe a hot character.

Hot: Waluigi, Crash, Shantae, a Galarian Pokémon in general, Geno, Master Chief, Steve, Doom Slayer, Dante, Rex (with or without Pyra)

Warm: Isaac, Cinderace, Urshifu, Toxtricity, Arle, Bandana Dee, Paper Mario, Lloyd Irving, Phoenix Wright

If you were to ask me who I think is a sleeper pick, low key I'd say Frisk is (how come Cuphead got a spirit event but Undertale didn't?), and I don't have a high key pick.
Ryo Hazuki. I've seen very little, if any, conversation about his chances, yet Shenmue is a very important and influential game to the action-adventure genre, enough so that I think it could get Ryo into Smash as a playable character despite being slept on... and even if not that, I still expect Shenmue to be acknowledged in some form like a Mii Fighter costume or Spirit Event.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

I’ll rate the sleeper picks by Cool (some discussion but not a lot compared to others, particularly from the same company/series) and Cold (very little discussion if at all). Also I’d put 2B and Dixie Kong in Warm and Ryu Hayabusa & Sora in Hot

Cool: Lip, Elma, Adol/Estelle/Rean, Neku, Sakura Shinguji, Amaterasu, Nightmare, KOS-MOS, Reimu, Monokuma, Euden, Yuri Lowell, Sol Badguy

Cold: Black Shadow, Octoling, Impa, Terra Branford, Ragna, Style Savvy, Sgt. Cortez (heyo Evil Trapezium), Dr. Eggman, League of Legends character, Mecha-Fiora, Lora, Ayumi Tachibana

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

Lara Croft...everyone considers basically every other popular Square pick more likely than her generally. She's arguably a bigger name than all of them.

Also Monster Hunter, he was more talked about in the first pass, but now any mention is all but dead. Lest we forget that we already have Monster Hunter content, adding the character as DLC isn't much of a stretch.

And practically any popular Assist Trophy, Waluigi, Isaac, Skull Kid/Midna/Ghirahim.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Being Ubiased

I would Consider Shadow the Hedgehog, Bomberman, and Professor Layton as Sleeper Picks (no one speculates them like that currently)

I.D.

Smash Lord
I love the unironic absolute dismissal of X's existence as if 2's the only one worth a damn
I love your paranoia and XB2 induced fuming making you see implications that aren't even there in the first place. You know what is actually there? People like you repeating "Why should Rex get in when it's so oh-so-much worse than the first game" on an endless loop as soon as someone dares suggest the possibility. And people trying their best to start fanbase wars (like you are doing in this very post!).

Also please, don't pretend you are some sort of staunch XBX supporter when according to your own logic Elma won't happen either and you just said a couple of pages ago that it's a game you wouldn't recommend.

I voted for Elma as one of my wanted characters in that sourcegaming poll fyi.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Kinda think it's due to several factors:

A) The ARMS guessing game went on for ca. 3 months, and by the time she came out people had talked about her and the other ARMS characters for a while.

B) She has seen next-to-no competitive play (that isn't online) due to the pandemic, and competitive peoples' opinions on her vary quite a lot. Contrast this with Joker and Hero who were in the competitive spotlight for weeks / months after release. EDIT: For different reasons, sure, but point still stands.

C) While ARMS isn't considered a "shill pick" Min Min was also partly promotional, and the promotion part of the inclusion (free play period for ARMS and the North American Online Open for ARMS) happened back in March - Min Min's release wasn't accompanied by additional promotional stuff IIRC.
I also think it's partially because of the info drought and the leaks. That sucked up most of our attention, and we were focused on that and the possibility of a new fighter. Now that's come and gone, and we're back to awaiting the next Direct.

I'm still very hopeful for Reimu. Indies have only had minor roles before, but they keep on coming, and I'd argue that Touhou is THE biggest indie there is. I know there's Shantae and possibly Shovel Knight, but Touhou is HUGE in Japan, and we've already gotten characters that are obscure outside their main circle, like Terry and Hero. I don't think lack of games on Nintendo systems affects her chanced too badly; Touhou's already had interaction with Nintendo is some forms (Distributing music at Touhou's convention, appearing alongside Kirby in Don-Chan's games, etc), and we've already had guys like Cloud and Joker. Plus, it's owned only by one guy; They could probably just sort out the rights over lunch with ZUN.
Touhou's still pretty niche and has some competition, so I'd say Reimu's a low-key contender that's still severely underestimated.

In other news, I'm honestly pretty surprised at the lack of support for Ezio and Bill Razer. Contra's and NES classic, and Assassin's Creed is pretty much the Street Fighter to Rayman's Mega Man. I know Rayman's more likely, but Ezio should have some consideration, even if it's not much.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
safest rule of thumb is to look for any maintenance scheduled. there's a 65% chance a direct will happen close to said maintenance

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I dunno if I'd use that as indication of a Direct. Nintendo does random maintenance all the time, so I wouldn't read too much into it ATM.
on the flip side, i dont recall the last time they DIDN'T do a direct close to maintenance. iirc the Min Min presentation had maintenance scheduled the same week

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
on the flip side, i dont recall the last time they DIDN'T do a direct close to maintenance. iirc the Min Min presentation had maintenance scheduled the same week
Fair enough, I'll admit I had forgotten about that, ha ha.

The thing for me is, I just...don't think I see any kind of normal Direct happening right now. Best case scenario is that we see another Partner Showcase, and that probably won't have Nintendo first party news in it. They kinda gave of the impression these things are gonna be for third parties only.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

pretty much any sega character not named arle

SKX31

Smash Master
hopefully enough work has been done on FP7 at this point that a guessing game will be unnecessary. MAYBE FP8 too
how to start a smash speculation nuclear war in 3 easy steps:

1. announce "Pokemon Gen 8 Guessing Game" as either FP7 or FP8. also announce "LoL Guessing Game" as the other FP in the same (mini-)Direct.
2. ???
3. watch the internet burn.

And my personal thoughts on the XBOX Games Showcase (now that it's over):

• Overall, a very strong presentation. Shows that Microsoft's putting a lot into the XSX and hard-committing into the Game Pass idea.
  • Halo Infinite was going to be the obvious centrepiece, and it looks quite promising from the demo.
  • Some unexpected surprises: Didn't expect to see Tell Me Why (by the Life is Strange dev), Crossfire (Korean multiplayer FPS, huge in China and South Korea) and Phantasy Star Online 2.
  • Good to see Rare doing well. While Everwild won't get into Smash anytime soon, it's clear that the Sea of Thieves $$$ went into a unique and interesting concept. Concept, true, but still.
  • Psychonauts 2 is also a welcomed addition since the original's a cult classic.

So... yeah, now that Sony and Microsoft's fully shown their cards, the pressure will increase on Nintendo to show something more. Even if Nintendo doesn't compete with Sony or Microsoft directly, both the PS5 and XSX have announced games and plans for up to 2021/22.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
how to start a smash speculation nuclear war in 3 easy steps:

1. announce "Pokemon Gen 8 Guessing Game" as either FP7 or FP8. also announce "LoL Guessing Game" as the other FP in the same (mini-)Direct.
2. ???
3. watch the internet burn.

And my personal thoughts on the XBOX Games Showcase (now that it's over):

• Overall, a very strong presentation. Shows that Microsoft's putting a lot into the XSX and hard-committing into the Game Pass idea.
  • Halo Infinite was going to be the obvious centrepiece, and it looks quite promising from the demo.
  • Some unexpected surprises: Didn't expect to see Tell Me Why (by the Life is Strange dev), Crossfire (Korean multiplayer FPS, huge in China and South Korea) and Phantasy Star Online 2.
  • Good to see Rare doing well. While Everwild won't get into Smash anytime soon, it's clear that the Sea of Thieves $$$ went into a unique and interesting concept. Concept, true, but still.
  • Psychonauts 2 is also a welcomed addition since the original's a cult classic.

So... yeah, now that Sony and Microsoft's fully shown their cards, the pressure will increase on Nintendo to show something more. Even if Nintendo doesn't compete with Sony or Microsoft directly, both the PS5 and XSX have announced games and plans for up to 2021/22.
YOU FOOL! YOU ABSOLUTE BUFFOON! YOU'VE DOOMED US ALL!!!!

:troll:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
SF has an innate ability to have really interesting elements that they either don't utilize to their potential or arbitrarily decide not to bring back.

"64's on rails exploration leading to different paths and thus different levels works so well for replayability, that clearly the next couple of games shouldn't have them."

"Hey the maps in Assault aren't the best for all range single player, the on foot segments are bit rough, and its too linear, but the multiplayer is universally praised, so we won't bring that back."

"Command's story is laughable, the RTS elements unnecessary, and the stylus controls are awkward, but being able to select your own ship is such a great concept that it should just stay in this game."

There's a fantastic hypothetical Star Fox game taking the best elements from the SNES games, 64, Assault, Command, Zero, & the SF elements from Starlink but who knows if we'll ever get it.
Well we got a "Best of Fire Emblem" in the form of Awakening and that worked wonders.

I think what SF needs above all else though, is a dedicated team instead of passing it between developers constantly.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You guys are way too worried about the prospect of another guessing game. It’s happened once in the entire history of Smash announcements, and it was probably because Nintendo wanted to bring attention to ARMS. I mean a free trial of the game was released concurrently with the tease.

Plus, it wouldn’t even work for most characters. “We’re adding a character from Devil May Cry, stay tuned to find out who it is!”.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Plus, it wouldn’t even work for most characters. “We’re adding a character from Devil May Cry, stay tuned to find out who it is!”.
Just wait until we get a guessing game for exactly one character. It'll be hard to guess who gets in then.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
You guys are way too worried about the prospect of another guessing game. It’s happened once in the entire history of Smash announcements, and it was probably because Nintendo wanted to bring attention to ARMS. I mean a free trial of the game was released concurrently with the tease.

It doesn't work for most games true, but you can't deny it works well with Pokemon.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Yeah, it only works for ensemble casts or games with multiple casts, so only fighting games, esports, and long-running RPGs would really work. If it were something like, say, Golden Sun or Touhou, the guessing game would be over immediately.

TimidKitsune129

Falling into Infinity
NNID
TimidKitsune129
I really don't think another guessing game is happening again. ARMS was a special case because it has a big cast with no actual protagonist. Everyone is the main character, according to the game's director anyway.

Also wow, was the guessing game really that bad? I wasn't around here when it happened but the way you all describe it sounds dreadful.

I figured the choice would be between Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, or Min Min; the former two because they were in the box art and the most promoted characters overall and the latter because she was really popular with both fans and the dev team.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace

Thanks, you just jinxed us into getting a DMC guessing game where we end up with Dante from DmC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom