• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Multiple playable characters have Mii costumes so I don't think which impression they gave is relevant to the newcomers.
those characters that already had costumes were veterans, though

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
But didn’t we just get Min Min?
Nothing from her pack was deliberately withheld from the base game

Wha...? That's not what I meant. What I meant is that if Sakurai had his way, Rex and Spring Man likely would've been in a :ultpiranha: situation due to time constraints; full-fledged characters who are DLC outside the Fighters Pass.
That's completely unfeasible because they weren't even worked on.

At least stick to a realistic timeline here.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Multiple playable characters have Mii costumes so I don't think which impression they gave is relevant to the newcomers.
A few of those costumes are in fact their fighter models scaled to Mii proportions, meaning the Rex costume could help out in developing the fighter.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Picture this:

A character that is generally good and at the same time has a decently high skill ceiling. Pros pick him and the character can do really crazy **** in the highest competitive level. Since this is a Smash forum, I guess the best comparison in that sense is Melee Fox. Did you visualize it? Good.

Now picture that same character being used in a ranked ladder environment. Picture the stress and inevitable toxicity that comes with team esports.

Pair that up with him being hard to stop once he starts getting too many kills mid match, being able to dash, stun and block ALL projectiles for a few seconds (all things that can be annoying in League - even one at a time) and you have your answer.

Plus, some people dislike his personality in game too. I don't, but I've seen players who do. Generally speaking, though, it's more related to how he plays.
In other words, A: he's OP as heck in a stressful environment and B: He's a wind samurai that isn't Samuel "Jetstream Sam" from Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, therefore he is worthless.

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
So you're saying that Nintendo withheld those Spirits from the base game... by including them to the base game?

I'm confused.
Look man idk I’m not very good at winning arguments

7NATOR

Smash Master
You know, One thing I find weird is the lack of Certain Mii Costumes

Rex, Spring Man, Isaac, Skull Kid, are examples of Popular characters in NPC Positions (with the latter 3 being Assists) that got Mii's in base game. We know 3rd Party Mii Costumes were not Base game

There are characters like Alucard, Shovel Knight, Bomberman, Shadow the Hedgehog, and more that are 3rd party and in NPC Positions, and yet their hypotheitcal costumes have not come in a pack. Tails, Knuckles, Zero have costumes but they were costumes in Smash 4. We see with Goemon that they are willing to add Requested (even if Goemon is more niche request) characters from 3rd parties as miis, and Squid Sisters is a New Costume of a Assist NPC in the game

With this in mind, could the lack of these costumes point to a particular type of character coming in the pass?

A few of those costumes are in fact their fighter models scaled to Mii proportions, meaning the Rex costume could help out in developing the fighter.
Is this actually true?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The Rex Mii costume doesn't seem like a huge deal to me. Plans for FP2 were made after FP1. Min Min and the repeating spirits made that clear.

The Mii costume that was available at launch seems to hold as much weight as a launch spirit. As in, not much anymore.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

rex from xenoblade chronicles 2 would be a pretty cool addition to super smash bros ultimate i think. he has a sword and goes ancha shot and doesnt afraid of anything

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
rex from xenoblade chronicles 2 would be a pretty cool addition to super smash bros ultimate i think. he has a sword and goes ancha shot and doesnt afraid of anything
and his girlfriend sword has big bobbly bazonkas

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
Idk if Nintendo madating the Rex costume to be dlc would Affect his chances they mostly choose the fighters. that was all for pass 1

also has that been stated anywhere that Nintendo did this?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
People are really tryna look past Occam's Razor when it comes to the Rex costume. He couldn't make it into base, but he was a popular character, so they leveraged his costume to incentivize purchases of the pass. Since then they've started reevaluating roles, so he should be eligible.

All these other theories are big reaches.

D

Deleted member

ive abandoned all hope a long time ago. rex xenoblade is dead. fei fong wong, on the other hand, is very much alive

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
People are really tryna look past Occam's Razor when it comes to the Rex costume. He couldn't make it into base, but he was a popular character, so they leveraged his costume to incentivize purchases of the pass. Since then they've started reevaluating roles, so he should be eligible.

Even bigger than any ARMS character, I'd say.

7NATOR

Smash Master
The most important thing about Rex is that He would finally be the character to have Assists, if they implement all the mechanics of Xenoblade 2.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

who is this occam guy and why should i look at his razor

with how much its talked about i bet this occams razor is old and gross and rusty

not something i want to look at

D

Deleted member

The most important thing about Rex is that He would finally be the character to have Assists, if they implement all the mechanics of Xenoblade 2.
finally

super smash bros x kos-mos level 3 blade special

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Considering that Fighter Pass 2's bonus is a boring Ancient Armor costume they probably acknowledge that putting a super desired newcomer in as a DLC-only costume was not a nice thing to do. The Rex costume should've been base-game.

That said, I don't think just because XB2 and Arms are both games that missed the base roster that they have equal reason to get in now. ARMS compared to XB2
-is an entirely new IP rather than a sequel
-sold more copies in a more niche genre
-is the original IP brainchild of someone responsible for many of Nintendo's best hits (Yabuki directed Mario Kart 8, which is still selling millions)

As a favor to Yabuki, as promotion of something totally new that did very well ARMS is very justified in a fighter pack. The inclusion of Shulk in Smash -at all- did huge things for Monolith Soft in a very similar way - except it did all this before Xenoblade reached even a fraction of the height ARMS did.
I think another potential part is involved with how wildly differrent their natures are, Xenoblade has a revolving cast so as succesful as any Xenoblade game may be, we'd likely never get a sequel with the same characters. ARMS has no certain future yet and has no real reason to cut characters in a sequel, so if ARMS 2 happens, there's a damn good chance Min Min will return in it, with people speculating she may end up as the Morrigan of her series
You know, One thing I find weird is the lack of Certain Mii Costumes

Rex, Spring Man, Isaac, Skull Kid, are examples of Popular characters in NPC Positions (with the latter 3 being Assists) that got Mii's in base game. We know 3rd Party Mii Costumes were not Base game

There are characters like Alucard, Shovel Knight, Bomberman, Shadow the Hedgehog, and more that are 3rd party and in NPC Positions, and yet their hypotheitcal costumes have not come in a pack. Tails, Knuckles, Zero have costumes but they were costumes in Smash 4. We see with Goemon that they are willing to add Requested (even if Goemon is more niche request) characters from 3rd parties as miis, and Squid Sisters is a New Costume of a Assist NPC in the game

With this in mind, could the lack of these costumes point to a particular type of character coming in the pass?

Is this actually true?
Wow they didn't include every character in gaming history, surely this means every character in gaming history's going to make it in as DLC

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
who is this occam guy and why should i look at his razor

with how much its talked about i bet this occams razor is old and gross and rusty

not something i want to look at
It probably should have been William's razor but that is lame as **** so we just talk about his village, Occam.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I think another potential part is involved with how wildly differrent their natures are, Xenoblade has a revolving cast so as succesful as any Xenoblade game may be, we'd likely never get a sequel with the same characters. ARMS has no certain future yet and has no real reason to cut characters in a sequel, so if ARMS 2 happens, there's a damn good chance Min Min will return in it, with people speculating she may end up as the Morrigan of her series

Wow they didn't include every character in gaming history, surely this means every character in gaming history's going to make it in as DLC
Turns out "Everyone is Here!" Was actually the long play tease for FP11, Everyone Else We Haven't Added Yet.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
here is little fun thing
these are the year origin of characters we dont have in smash yet
1970s
if you had to add characters from these years who would you want it to be?
I like this idea. Here's what I pick.
1970s: Sheriff
1982: Dig Dug
1995: Lip (I like Dixie Kong, but Lip would rep a new franchise)
2000: Amingo (Marvel vs. Capcom 2)
2003: Lyn
2008: Wendy (Animal Crossing CF)
2011: Dovahkiin
2014: Technically the Mii Fighters count, but Shovel Knight
2018: LABO Man
2020: Calyrex

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
But there's more to this. For example, If you consider that Alucard was actually considered for being Playable before Simon/Richter were chosen, and how Sakurai even stated he might even be more popular, I would think he would get Mii. They making new 3rd party costumes like Goemon, and New Assist Costumes like Squid sisters, and characters like Alucard, Bomberman, Shovel Knight, and Shadow the Hedgehog could fit Mii Fighter Template. they are already in the game.

Since there's about an average of 5 costumes per pack, there are around 25 more costumes. there's only 6 veteran costumes, so around 19 Total New Costumes need to be made. Why not make miis of these characters. Maybe they are being saved for something. It's all apart of my Mii Costume theory

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Maybe Sakurai just doesn't want to make a Mii costume for some of the assist trophies.

It's not that deep.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
But there's more to this. For example, If you consider that Alucard was actually considered for being Playable before Simon/Richter were chosen, and how Sakurai even stated he might even be more popular, I would think he would get Mii. They making new 3rd party costumes like Goemon, and New Assist Costumes like Squid sisters, and characters like Alucard, Bomberman, Shovel Knight, and Shadow the Hedgehog could fit Mii Fighter Template. they are already in the game.

Since there's about an average of 5 costumes per pack, there are around 25 more costumes. there's only 6 veteran costumes, so around 19 Total New Costumes need to be made. Why not make miis of these characters. Maybe they are being saved for something. It's all apart of my Mii Costume theory
Or maybe the curtains are just blue because they're blue. I'd adore Alucard but he doesn't have a mii costume because he's secretly getting added. The only time a brand new mii costume got in that wasn't from a new franchise was first party franchises, probably because they want to get more franchises in the game when dealing with third parties to expand the crossover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom