• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Eh, I wouldn't say awkward. It's not like you CAN use official new recordings when your playable status is via a mod.
What I mean is that it'd be just like the real thing!

Seriously **** NoA they only ever record new voice lines when Japan changes them, so when Roger Craig Smith replaced Jason Griffith but Junichi Kanemaru stayed as Sonic they just re-used RCS's lines which sounds ****ing awkward as all hell, ESPECIALLY the Super Sonic lines

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Well I did my best
also these are Pretty much my expectations now
It looks possible tbh
(Demi is a placeholder for the smtv protagonist btw. Demi will be his alt)
What the hell? You picked Demi fiend after Joker got in? You are incredibly selfish!

But Geno though. I think that is a very good choice, you'll hear no complaints from me.

:4pacman:

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Lightweight grappler

Midna would fill this niche pretty well.
I was actually thinking Klonoa could fill this niche pretty well. He'd have an emphasis on grappling and could grab in the air thanks to the Wind Ring, but his normals would be either too weak or too slow, forcing him to rely on his grabs.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Everyone, I know there have been a lot of negativity about the lack of Smash reveal (I am worse than anyone) but we can look back at the original game announcement with EVERYONE is HERE and Simon Belmont and see how great of a game that Ultimate is overall. The DLC selections have at times been questionable but the game itself is amazing and Sakurai puts a lot of love into everything he creates.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I'm bored. This would be the DLC lineup if I had it my way.

View attachment 279570

If you want to make your own here's the tweet to it

Looks awesome!
Here's mine:
Template ALL SLOTS (1).jpg

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I was actually thinking Klonoa could fill this niche pretty well. He'd have an emphasis on grappling and could grab in the air thanks to the Wind Ring, but his normals would be either too weak or too slow, forcing him to rely on his grabs.
Yeah, I think that would be a good choice too. Basically a Cargo Throw-esque neutral special, with maybe one other special being a projectile. That way you could make a playstyle that fluctuates between grabbing enemies and throwing stuff at them, like in the original Klonoa games.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I may dislike P5 but it still feels wild that a franchise went from pretty niche to absolutely booming with a single installment and even getting in Smash solely because of it

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I may dislike P5 but it still feels wild that a franchise went from pretty niche to absolutely booming with a single installment and even getting in Smash solely because of it
I guess you could say, we never saw it coming?

Yeah, I see the door to my left.

SKX31

Smash Master
Well, Nintendo did just release their Top 30 most downloaded titles in Japan's eShop during 2020's first half:

006OLR7Hgy1ggztwnfq5fj30u027o4qq.jpg

Some things to note:

• Ultimate's staying stable at 6th place
  • Human: Fall Flat took 3rd place. The other top places are expected...
  • Then again, NBA 2K20 is 7th. Not entirely expected.
  • Level 5's doing well with four games on this list: The Ni no Kuni Wrath of the White Witch remake is 9th, Layton's Mystery Journey is just outside the Top 10, at 11th. Snack World - the Dungeon Crawl at 24th and The Yokai Watch 1 Switch port at 30th.
  • Other games of note include Overcooked 2 at 13th, Fitness Boxing at 18th, Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate at 21st and Trials of Mana at 23rd

Additional article here (which includes the digital-only list, that one looks, well, a bit different to say the least).

Last edited:

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
Well, Nintendo did just release their Top 30 most downloaded titles in Japan's eShop during 2020's first half:

Some things to note:

• Level 5's doing well with four games on this list: The Ni no Kuni Wrath of the White Witch remake* is 9th, Layton's Mystery Journey is just outside the Top 10, at 11th. Snack World - the Dungeon Crawl at 24th and The Yokai Watch 1 Switch port at 30th.
  • Other games of note include Overcooked 2 at 13th, Fitness Boxing at 18th, Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate at 21st and Trials of Mana at 23rd

Additional article here (which includes the digital-only list, that one looks, well, a bit different to say the least).
And Minecraft is still there.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Some things to note:

• Level 5's doing well with four games on this list: The Ni no Kuni Wrath of the White Witch remake* is 9th, Layton's Mystery Journey is just outside the Top 10, at 11th. Snack World - the Dungeon Crawl at 24th and The Yokai Watch 1 Switch port at 30th.

*insert joke about Level-5 in Smash here*

Although I would appreciate Jibanyan at least...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Some things to note:

Yoooo Splatoon 2 at 4 and XCDE at 12 nice

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'm of the belief that we'll get at least two first-parties and two third-parties, with the first two fighters going either way. FP1 started with a third-party and stayed that way until the end, so the first two fighters should be a good demonstration of the general theme. If the next fighter is a third-party, it'll be a 50-50 split. If first-party, it'll be a 4-2 ratio.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
You're saying this a year and a half after the Grinch leak?
Fair enough haha. That felt like eternity ago to me. But basically I’m impressed that someone withheld information that would help the modding community just to troll.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
What is it that you don't like about Persona 5 if you don't mind me asking?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
What is it that you don't like about Persona 5 if you don't mind me asking?
The writing, I've seen enough to know I won't be able to enjoy the game, which is a shame because it's one of the most stylish games I've seen in a long time, but it seems to be style over substance. Atlus having no clue how to handle their own ****ing characters sucks and Morgana's 'character arc' with Ryuji is so laughably bad. A1 studios, a name that makes all fans of anime and video games cry out of horror, fixed a lot of dumb writing issues P5 had. When A ****ing 1 can do something better than you, you've ****ed up big time

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman

Some things to note:

Yeah, Level-5 is doing well! Time to put Layton in Smash :smirk:

I'm happy to see Mystery Dungeon too!

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Some things to note:

Dear Level 5, Layton now pls thx

also AC:NH at #1 as it should be,byess

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
Guys... I think Pac-Man is in Smash! :love:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
So, uh, this might be a mistake, but...
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bayonetta-3-Nintendo-Nintendo-Switch-045496592165/838016510
Walmart says Bayonetta 3's coming January 6th. A simple placeholder date, or an accidental leak?
It's clear that nintendo is teasing games when they are in teh beggining of development (BOTW2, Bayo3, MP4) and not properly reveal they until they are almost ready to release them. While it may seem like a placeholder date, is not super unlikely that they are going to do another "collaborators" minidirect in a couple months and bayonetta 3 being teh center of the direct i guess, and not only get revealed, but also with a launch date that they feel extremely confident and likely very near.
Geno fans are always being greedy.

SMT is a MegaTen spinoff. Persona is a MegaTen spinoff. SMT characters and Persona characters are both MegaTen reps, regardless of what cute little picture Smash decides to place behind the character.
Super Mario is a donkey kong spin off, Donkey Kong Country is a Donkey Kong spin off. I don't think if Dixie Kong gets added people are going to say "gawd, another mario rep", or "it stole waluigi's spot".

I'ma bit late for the dlc wants game, but whatever...
Konami: Alucard (imma a shellfish)
Sega: Kazuma Kiryu
Capcom: Morrigan Aensland
Bandai Namco: Chosen Undead
Square Enix: 2B or Final Fatnasty stuff.
SNK: Iori Yagami
Microsoft: Steve
Most wanted highly requested character: Doomguy
Most wanted unlikely character: Any Alchemist from teh Atelier Series. Shutout to Ryza

Geno Boost

Smash Master
here is little fun thing
these are the year origin of characters we dont have in smash yet
1970s
if you had to add characters from these years who would you want it to be?

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Some things to note:

• Level 5's doing well with four games on this list: The Ni no Kuni Wrath of the White Witch remake is 9th, Layton's Mystery Journey is just outside the Top 10, at 11th. Snack World - the Dungeon Crawl at 24th and The Yokai Watch 1 Switch port at 30th.

PMDX outselling Xenoblade DE, BoTW, FETH, and even SWSH?
1595438061522.png

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
here is little fun thing
  • 1982 - Taizo Hori (Dig Dug)
  • 2000 - Waluigi (Mario Tennis)
  • 2003 - Viewtiful Joe
  • 2008 - Captain Rainbow
  • 2011 - Patricia Wagon (Mighty Switch Force)
  • 2014 - Shay Cormac (Assassin's Creed: Rogue)
  • 2018 - Olberic Eisenberg (Octopath Traveler)
  • 2020 - Ichiban Kasuga (Yakuza: Like a Dragon)

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Just as ready as I am for people to analyze the polygon count of models seen in leaks and come to the conclusion that there's 10 too few polys for them to be official fighter models.
I do remember the Ken polygonal structure analysis that was done when the ken leak got out, and the point was to say that the leak was real, and indeed it was.
Some people want aerial-focused, speedy heavyweights.
Some people want spear wielders.
Some people want quadrupeds.

What if I told you you could have all of the above with a Nintendo character who's made numerous appearances since her debut in 1990 as an important character, and who is currently a Legend class spirit in Smash?
Dunno if i would count it as a heavyweight... (PK defenses are usually paper)

Give me wyvern rider claude instead :D

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
here is little fun thing
Abstaining from 1982
2000: Vivi from FFIX
2003: Soma Cruz from Aria of Sorrow
2008: Shanoa from Order of Ecclesia
2011: Minecraft Steve
2014: Shovel Knight
2018: Miriam from Bloodstained
2020: Hachi from Bloodstained
EDIT: Initially forgot 2014, added it

Last edited:

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
here is little fun thing
1970s
2000-Joanna Dark(Perfect Dark)
2003-Lloyd Irving(Tales of Symphonia)
2008-Faith(Mirror's Edge)
2011-Cole Phelps(L.A. Noire)
2014-Delsin Rowe(Infamous Second Son)
2018-Arthur Morgan(Red Dead Redemption 2)
2020-don't know

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
here is little fun thing
1970s
1970: Space Invader (Space Invader)
1982: Donkey Kong Jr. (DK Jr.)
2000: Waluigi (Mario Tennis)
2003: ???
2008: Shake King (Wario Land: Shake It!)
2011: Chosen Undead (Dark Souls)
2014: Sarah (Titanfall)
2018: Nergigante (Monster Hunter World)
2020: Bull Shark (Maneater)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

I'm happy to hear that Level-5 is doing pretty well this year, probably due to the Lets Play at home campaign since I think all those games where part of that sale if I recall.

Hopefully we'll be hearing more from them soon, games wise.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
here is little fun thing
1970s
2000 - Waluigi
2003 - Viewtiful Joe
2008 - Nero (DMC)
2011 - Adam Jensen (Deus Ex)
2014 - Shovel Knight
2018 - Miriam (Bloodstained)
2020 - Ichiban Kasuga (Yakuza)

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
here is little fun thing
1970s
  • 1982 Ms. Pac-Man
  • 1995 (another year without a character) Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong Country)
  • 2000 Beat (Jet Set Radio)
  • 2003 Jade ( Beyond Good & Evil)
  • 2008 Chrous Kids (Rhythm Heaven
  • 2011 Chosen Undead (Dark Souls). Alternatively, Steve (Minecraft), despite initially going into playble alpha in 2009, Minecraft got it's full release this year
  • 2014 Shovel Knight (Shovel Knight)
  • 2018 Someone from Octopath Traveler (Haven't played it, so I'm not quite sure who's the exact main character lol)
  • 2020 Jump Rope Rabbit (Jump Rope Challenge) IDK LOL

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I come from the future.

DLC-Characters-Dreams.png

Templates from SmashTemplates on Twitter. Phoenix and 2B renders from RendersSSBU on Twitter.

You could replace the last one with a wildcard of sorts, but I just want to style on people because it would be funny.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
here is little fun thing
1970s
1982 - Dig Dug (or, alternatively, and I don't care how little sense it makes, Sinistar!)
2000 - Waluigi
2003 - Lyn
2008 - Sackboy (or, if you want to be cheeky, Tabuu)
2011 - The Dragonborn if Steve doesn't count
2014 - Shovel Knight
2018 - Arthur Morgan
2020 - I'm legitimately drawing a blank. EDIT: Yuri Leclerc

Pre-1980 - SETTLER FROM THE OREGON TRAIL, BABY

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
here is little fun thing
1970s
1982: Pitfall Harry
2000: Joanna Dark
2003: Viewtiful Joe
2008: Shanoa (Castlevania)
2011: Groose
2014: Shovel Knight
2018: Octopath Travelers
2020: Hachi (Bloodstained Curse of the Moon 2)

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I have to admit that i didn't wanted to make the years challenge cause i'm lazy and i though it was pointless... but some of the characters people are coming with are actually pretty good picks XD

And hachi NEEDS to be in mainstay bloodstained games. love that little bugger

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
The writing, I've seen enough to know I won't be able to enjoy the game, which is a shame because it's one of the most stylish games I've seen in a long time, but it seems to be style over substance. Atlus having no clue how to handle their own ****ing characters sucks and Morgana's 'character arc' with Ryuji is so laughably bad. A1 studios, a name that makes all fans of anime and video games cry out of horror, fixed a lot of dumb writing issues P5 had. When A ****ing 1 can do something better than you, you've ****ed up big time
My favorite part about the P5 anime is that it fixed the Hawaii vacation, in the actual game you kind get the impression that the only people who really enjoyed the trip were Joker and his girlfriend. But in the anime it shows that everyone had a pretty okay time there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom