• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
See...this is why transparency is important for Nintendo.

We get there's s pandemic going on but instead they said, "ah, no biggie things are all on schedule!"

"K then...where's the games?"

"uhhhh...about that"

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
See...this is why transparency is important for Nintendo.

We get there's s pandemic going on but instead they said, "ah, no biggie things are all on schedule!"

"K then...where's the games?"

"uhhhh...about that"
It's possible that at the time of the first statement, it was true.

Things do change, though I'll admit that's me playing devil's advocate more than my actual beliefs.

MarioDDR755

Smash Apprentice
I feel like maybe there's something to the theory that they did have a bit of a drought for 2020 already, and the pandemic has only exacerbated it.

It's better that they don't rush if they don't really have anything, anyway. It might seem a bit cruel to not just tell us they don't have anything, but it would kill any hope or hype that people have now if they did, which I assume is why they are keeping quiet.

Well... I'm sure they're going to muster up something for the Holidays but people do need to keep their expectations low, I think.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I'm bored. This would be the DLC lineup if I had it my way.

DLC characters if I had it my own way.png

If you want to make your own here's the tweet to it

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
So Guys I was somewhere else in my head, and then I thought of some Sneaky Trick Nintendo/Sakurai might Pull

Imagine that the next 4 Characters are all Hype, the most Hype Characters, but then The Last character is someone no one is Expecting, but Sakurai has talked about being considered for Smash

I'm talking about Takumaru

Sakurai never added him in because he was Niche outside of Japan. However By Putting in 4 Hype Characters as the next characters, to bait people nto buying the full pass, and Putting in Takumaru last, Sakurai would accomplish his goal of Getting his name out there to the West. It's Smart, and very sneaky. Not to say Takumaru is bad, but...
i don't see this happening one bit, and i say this as someone who really, REALLY wants takamaru

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
It's possible that at the time of the first statement, it was true.

Things do change, though I'll admit that's me playing devil's advocate more than my actual beliefs.
Definitely is possible and not saying it can't change over time...still doesn't excuse the lack of transparency though.

Just take Prime 4 as an example....imagine if Nintendo never told us about the game to begin with. Nothing else changed, its still in development Ridley and Dark Samus both are still in Smash, but we have no idea if Nintendo's making a Metroid game on the Switch. Heck as disappointing as the news was for the delay, it was met with positivity, BECAUSE of the transparency.

There's no doubt that Nintendo needs to do better with their pr and marketing. Especially in a time like this when everyone's already super stressed and frustrated. Of course I'm not saying they should tell us everything that happens, nor am I excusing the behaviour of a bunch of these Ninty fans, but that's just the general understanding.

D

Deleted member

I wanted KH news, I didnt get it but I got SMT news so im happy
KH news? Like what, the 3 KH games on Switch or something?

I kinda feel like they would have done that back when they announced the remixes coming to Xbox. Switch would probably be good with KH III too, but that ship may have sailed. Not gonna say its impossible; just feel like we would have seen it already if it was planned.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
KH news? Like what, the 3 KH games on Switch or something?

I kinda feel like they would have done that back when they announced the remixes coming to Xbox. Switch would probably be good with KH III too, but that ship may have sailed. Not gonna say its impossible; just feel like we would have seen it already if it was planned.
The new KH game thats coming on switch is what I wanted some info on. I know its unlikely but The Story So Far on switch would be amazing

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
My bad if this was talked about already, not gonna dig back through to see

So..............yeah. Would have been nice if we didn't just hear the opposite like 2-3 weeks ago
Explains a lot, honestly. Can't fault them either, it's entirely outside of their control.

I'd definitely be prepared for the Fighters Pass to be affected by this. Odds are Nintendo's last half of the year is gonna be super rough.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Tonight there should be a new spirit/tourney event announced. What sort of thing could happen this time? In the meantime:
The Ring Fit Adventure and New Horizons spirits should be returning to the regular rotation soon.

SKX31

Smash Master
Every time I see this list, I'm reminded that the main criticism SourceGaming and Jon GameXPlain had for Tales getting into Smash was the because Tales isn't "iconic" enough to be playable; meanwhile they chimed in how they considered characters like Aiai, Travis, and Klonoa are decently likely.
View attachment 279542Needless to say they weren't right then and they aren't right now.

Source is a Famitsu poll of the most anticipated games. Picture is from Gematsu.
Huh, didn't expect Genshin Impact to be there at all. Getting more votes than SMT V too.

For those unaware, it's a BotW-like game that was accused of being a clone (incl. by me). But honestly, I've softened my view on it - I was a bit rash there myself, and it seems like they've worked on differentiating the game further. It has shown its more unique traits: GI has a different quest system, its setting and characters are different, and combat works differently (by instant character switching etc.).

Gameplay walkthrough of the beta here. It does have gacha in it, so people are aware of that before buying. (miHoYo is also the company behind Honkai Impact 3rd.)

(Small edit: It's also coming to the Switch, yes.)

Explains a lot, honestly. Can't fault them either, it's entirely outside of their control.

I'd definitely be prepared for the Fighters Pass to be affected by this. Odds are Nintendo's last half of the year is gonna be super rough.
Yeah, best to be prepared for that possibility. While I don't think they'd change the character release order (not now when they're developing FP7 and might've laid down the most basic groundwork for FP8) it's entirely possible that a few or even a lot of small delays add up quickly. For example: One developer's family member / friend might have the virus? That's a major cause for concern and stress even if the symptoms aren't bad, and that might have further consequences on development.

Hope they come out of this as unscathed as possible.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Tonight there should be a new spirit/tourney event announced. What sort of thing could happen this time? In the meantime:
The Ring Fit Adventure and New Horizons spirits should be returning to the regular rotation soon.
Interesting to note that whenever they add spirits back into the rotation it's usually to prepare for another wave, either with a fighter or as an event. Last time we got Min Min and Octopath. Wonder if this is hinting at an event tonight or at a reveal to come within the next few weeks?

volbound1700

Smash Master
Actually I think I understand why things are weird for Nintendo right now, and the pandemic definitely doesn't do them any favors.

http://dromble.com/2015/01/21/forme...os-culture-third-party-support-and-much-more/

So basically their management is all out of whack.
This sums up some of the issues that I stated earlier. Nintendo is also very Japanese centric in game designs overall versus Sony who functions more at a global level and appeals to global audiences.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Kind of sad that Nintendo was that much affected by Covid-19 but I'm not really surprise. At this point I'm expecting the holiday to be Mario remaster, No more heroes 3 and maybe one more wii u port (probably Pikmin 3). I'm not even expecting Bravely default 2 this year anymore considering that we didn't have any info on it for a long time and Square is already known to report a lot their games.

Right now I'm pretty hopeful that 2021 will be a way better year, especially if they release their 2020 planned games that year (like the leaked Metroid 2d). But the future is so incertain right now that maybe plans will change again and we'll wait longer.

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
My bad if this was talked about already, not gonna dig back through to see

So..............yeah. Would have been nice if we didn't just hear the opposite like 2-3 weeks ago
Actually I think I understand why things are weird for Nintendo right now, and the pandemic definitely doesn't do them any favors.

http://dromble.com/2015/01/21/forme...os-culture-third-party-support-and-much-more/

So basically their management is all out of whack.
I think you add these two together and throw in the bit about Kellos and other leakers surprised that the direct yesterday was a small as it was/saying there's more to come and you start to get a pretty accurate picture of what happened.

Someone at the top in Kyoto got scared about the understandably unknown future delaying games and said to delay/break it up. So they put all the 1st party stuff on the back burner, then the marketing people decided to work with what they had and do this gradual mini-direct over time thing with 2nd and 3rd party games. Likely everyone involved knew that it would be received poorly, but their hands are kind of tied.

It's just a bad call by whoever made it though. Just tell me what's being worked on and is far along enough to show/not be canceled/supposed to be shown at E3, then just say "we don't really have a release date for this right now because everyone is working from home and it's affecting development." WE TOTALLY GET IT.

You'd think they'd learn by how universally accepted Metroid Prime 4's delay announcement was, but here we are.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I think you add these two together and throw in the bit about Kellos and other leakers surprised that the direct yesterday was a small as it was/saying there's more to come and you start to get a pretty accurate picture of what happened.

Someone at the top in Kyoto got scared about the understandably unknown future delaying games and said to delay/break it up. So they put all the 1st party stuff on the back burner, then the marketing people decided to work with what they had and do this gradual mini-direct over time thing with 2nd and 3rd party games. Likely everyone involved knew that it would be received poorly, but their hands are kind of tied.

It's just a bad call by whoever made it though. Just tell me what's being worked on and is far along enough to show/not be canceled/supposed to be shown at E3, then just say "we don't really have a release date for this right now because everyone is working from home and it's affecting development." WE TOTALLY GET IT.

You'd think they'd learn by how universally accepted Metroid Prime 4's delay announcement was, but here we are.
Even with that logic, where was the Smash DLC character announcement? You can't tell me Nintendo wouldn't have one of them ready for a potential E3 release? This is what is most concerning. Smash DLC character announcement would have likely changed public opinion of the direct.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Sakurai/Nintendo don't decide what franchise an Atlus game belongs to.

Persona is a part of MegaTen whether Sakurai acknowledges that or not.

It's not. One is an official spinoff series. The other is a spiritual successor made by a different company.
Never said Persona isn't part of MegaTen. It is. But MegaTen is a larger thing, and Shin Megami Tensei is part of that universe or franchise, just as Persona.
That means a SMT rep could happen without problem, because Joker only reps Persona, and his presence doesn't close the doors to Demi-fiend, Flynn or SMT V main character.

That's why I said Persona music isn't listed under "MegaTen series", because if that was the case that would mean Joker is considered as a rep for the whole Megami Tensei series, which includes more than Persona and SMT, and which by the way would have been a bad move unless they pulled off the SNK treatment and give us a ton of music or cameos from other MegaTen games beyond Persona.

TL:DR Joker is a Persona rep, not a MegaTen rep, if that was the case it would probably kill any chances for a SMT character in pass 2.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Never said Persona isn't part of MegaTen. It is. But MegaTen is a larger thing, and Shin Megami Tensei is part of that universe or franchise, just as Persona.
That means a SMT rep could happen without problem, because Joker only reps Persona, and his presence doesn't close the doors to Demi-fiend, Flynn or SMT V main character.

That's why I said Persona music isn't listed under "MegaTen series", because if that was the case that would mean Joker is considered as a rep for the whole Megami Tensei series, which includes more than Persona and SMT, and which by the way would have been a bad move unless they pulled off the SNK treatment and give us a ton of music or cameos from other MegaTen games beyond Persona.

TL:DR Joker is a Persona rep, not a MegaTen rep, if that was the case it would probably kill any chances for a SMT character in pass 2.
Well, it wouldn't kill any chance of a SMT rep, but it would not help their chances either.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Persona isn't even listed as being affiliated with SMT within Smash, nor does it come with any SMT content. Heck, Atlus doesn't even put the SMT tag on Persona releases anymore, the series is just referred to as "Persona" now.

Not sure there's really much debate to be had about this when the games' own creators don't even tie the series to its original source anymore. :drshrug:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The only thing Persona has in common with mainline SMT nowadays is the non-“personal/unique” Personas, they’re run of the mill demons in mainline games

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Remember when it was rumored/everyone assumed that Jack Frost would make an appearance in Joker's pack somehow?

Ha ha

Or should I say Hee Hoo?

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Remember those rumors/predictions that Jack Frost would make an appearance in Joker's pack somehow?

Ha ha

Or should I say Hee Hoo?
Was that the same one with Steve, Doomguy and Hayabusa as FP3-5? I feel like it was

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Min Min also... got an unfortunate reception. And I don’t mean salt like with Byleth, but worse.

you know... EVO, big names in the FGC etc being exposed... all the attention was on that and while necessary it was also upsetting to see ppl you admired outed as scum

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Really? I recalled people were excited for her. I thought regarding those Spring Man and Twintelle fans being just a minority.
I remeber seeing people call nintendo racist because they didnt add a minority. and by minority, they meant black because apprently, being chinese means you arent a minority

tldr: people were salty we got min min and not Twin

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Really? I recalled people were excited for her. I thought regarding those Spring Man and Twintelle fans being just a minority.
The announcement of it being an ARMS character, the long wait before reveal, and a generally well done presentation did a lot to temper any would be antipathy against her. In terms of the optics I'd day everything the Byleth news got wrong, the Min Min reveal largely got right.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Min Min also... got an unfortunate reception. And I don’t mean salt like with Byleth, but worse.

you know... EVO, big names in the FGC etc being exposed... all the attention was on that and while necessary it was also upsetting to see ppl you admired outed as scum
Look, I'm one of the 10 people in the planet who was hyped for Byleth, and even then I ask you: What do you mean worse than them?

Just because some people unfortunately turned to be trash doesn't means the entire community suddenly died.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
You must have missed the next paragraph about the callouts in the FGC
I remeber seeing people call nintendo racist because they didnt add a minority. and by minority, they meant black because apprently, being chinese means you arent a minority

tldr: people were salty we got min min and not Twin
Oh yeah...I was trying to forget all of that apparently.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Persona isn't even listed as being affiliated with SMT within Smash, nor does it come with any SMT content. Heck, Atlus doesn't even put the SMT tag on Persona releases anymore, the series is just referred to as "Persona" now.

Not sure there's really much debate to be had about this when the games' own creators don't even tie the series to its original source anymore. :drshrug:
Reminder that Persona games never carried "Shin Megami Tensei" on their titles in Japan. That was just a marketing stunt by ATLUS USA and never had anything to do with what actual creators thought about the two series.

As far as developers are concerned, Persona and SMT were never tied together in the first place.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Persona and Shin Megami Tensei are, to me, seemingly like how Super Mario is different from something like WarioWare or Yoshi. There are plenty of similarities between the two, but they're different in their own ways.

Also, don't associate Min Min with the gross people in the community. They're not even related to one another.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Yeesh, not even a month and already you guys are impatient for FP7...
It kind of sucks we're not getting anymore new modes because Joker and Banjo & Kazooie had Stage builder and Home-run contest arrive with them to give people something to tide them over.

It would just be nice to get some more additions to Stage builder along with the new character.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
It kind of sucks we're not getting anymore new modes because Joker and Banjo & Kazooie had Stage builder and Home-run contest arrive with them to give people something to tide them over.

It would just be nice to get some more additions to Stage builder along with the new character.
And maybe even an ACTUAL boss rush?

And, if you REALLY wanna stretch, make one of the stage bosses an actual boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom