• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
NoA is going gonna see the dislikes, and think its just people angry on no smash or something. No, people arent mad that... well not everyone. They did a terrible job picking the games to show. Zelda dlc is great. The smt games are also great, but then NoA had only 2 other games shown, rogue company, and wwe. That is why people are mad, the lack of games shown. If they threw in FFCCJD, Ryza 2, and Sakuna, thats 3 more games that appeal to a woder, broader audience. Instant win.

Fire whoever is incharge of NoA marketing now.
If this is how people react to getting news, I hope Nintendo follows this one with a long drought because holy ****.

It's just video games, guys.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So...they're bringing Ryza 2 overseas...but they only bring the game up in the Japanese Direct...?

No idea what they were thinking there. I guess Ryza's chances bumped up a little, but still, not even bothering to show the game outside Japan isn't very promising.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
NoA...

What were you guys smoking when you decided to announce Ryza 2's localization not in the Direct Mini but in a Twitter post!?
Too prudish I guess. A WWE game was somehow way more important to put in the direct.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
People have every right to be annoyed with Nintendo's inconsistent and unclear marketing strategies, whether or not they were idiotically expecting Metroid Prime 4 or the bare minimum for the Direct today. People quote the people who overreact way too far and then claim every person who's unhappy is a raving lunatic.

Last edited:

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Funny how Nintendo fans do a better job of getting rid of leaks and leakers then Nintendo themselves.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
The shameful thing is that Kelios is being harassed for things they didn't even say.
Yeah. Seriously. I frequent other gaming circles and it's true that this anxiety of getting more news isn't exclusive of Nintendo fans. But seriously, I have never seen fans as rabid as the Nintendo ones.
Of course, most Nintendo fans aren't like this. It's a minority of people that makes a lot of noise, but still.

If anyone wants to blame someone, blame Nintendo for their lately poor communication.

Last edited:

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
Reposting what i said in the Geno thread

I'm not saying people shouldn't be upset because yes, Nintendo's been very poor at communicating information this entire year and some transparency would go a long way. But I have to say, what did you expect? Once it was announced on Twitter we all knew this was going to be a ten minute presentation focused solely on already announced third party games. This honestly was more than I expected because I was fully prepared for ten minutes of Bakugan. SMTV finally getting a proper showcase is huge.

"But the insiders said" I hear people yelling. No insider in infallible. We heard directly from Nintendo what this presentation was gonna be like. And now Kelios is being harassed off of Twitter and leaking in general because Nintendo fans are screaming infants taking out their frustrations on them. Even Kelios seems shocked at what was announced.

This is what is meant when people say "hype responsibly" and yet every time some says it it's met with comments of "don't tell me what to do". And now those same people are throwing tantrums over video game commercials. Again I'm not trying to excuse Nintendo's poor communication and seemingly lack of anything to show this year. But I swear Nintendo fans set themselves up for disappointment and then bully people off social media when they don't get what they want.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
There's a scene from my favorite movie where the main character has a nightmare where clowns take his bicycle and put it on a crane. The crane lowers the bike into a giant pot surrounded by people dressed in the standard devil outfit. The one in charge says some things and the bike is destroyed.

In a way, the situation from the movie could serve as a comparison, where the bike is Nintendo/Insiders, and the devil wearing people are the fans, who destroy the former for not getting what they want.

Or I'm overlooking this too much.

Anyways... uh... if the trend continues, do you all think there will be one unannounced game in any of these showcases?

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Just coming in here to make sure you all realize what just happened.

I'm of course talking about Skull Kid getting his own adventure.

Best news all year.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Like, I'm a little disappointed and **** but Nintendo has already made me a very happy man this year with Xenoblade DE and Byleth and Min Min in Smash, so I think I can wait a little while longer for something more substantial.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
This whole thing was hyped up too much, both by Nintendo and the leakers, and we got our hopes too high. Should've just been a shadowdrop. Some trailers being Japan-exclusive just rub salt into the wound, though the English release seems to be a bit later so it's sorta understandable.

I wonder if Sakuna might show up in a later English Direct, since it's releasing in the West a little later.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I wasn't really expecting smash in general, so I'm just happy that smt5 is FINALLY getting some more info.

Remember, just because there's a direct doesn't mean a smash character is going to be revealed

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I'm not saying people shouldn't be upset because yes, Nintendo's been very poor at communicating information this entire year and some transparency would go a long way. But I have to say, what did you expect?
I mean, there was nothing in the Direct to actually be upset over. Uninteresting? Sure. But there's no actual BAD news here. It's not Byleth.

This Direct doesn't deserve a Dislike. It just deserves not getting a Like.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I wasn't really expecting smash in general, so I'm just happy that smt5 is FINALLY getting some more info.

Remember, just because there's a direct doesn't mean a smash character is going to be revealed
To be fair this is the first general direct (non indie) to not have any Smash news since March 2018. I guess this really is the year of broken patterns.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
There's a scene from my favorite movie where the main character has a nightmare where clowns take his bicycle and put it on a crane. The crane lowers the bike into a giant pot surrounded by people dressed in the standard devil outfit. The one in charge says some things and the bike is destroyed.

In a way, the situation from the movie could serve as a comparison, where the bike is Nintendo/Insiders, and the devil wearing people are the fans, who destroy the former for not getting what they want.

Or I'm overlooking this too much.

Anyways... uh... if the trend continues, do you all think there will be one unannounced game in any of these showcases?
Yeah, probably. If it's a monthly thing like the Download, we'll probably have a steady stream of release dates given. If that happens, maybe we'll look back on today and think, "Perhaps I was too hard on you."

D

Deleted member

excited for this nintendo direct i hope they reveal wwe 2k battlegrounds. we will see

Staarih

Smash Master
but they're also not a Japanese company.
Isn't Koei Tecmo a Japanese company? Or have I just been wrong all this time.

Either way, yeah, I'd assume they have a say on how their games are shown. I personally think it was more of focusing on different audiences, the Japanese will likely appreciate Atelier Ryza more (though the western presentation could have really used it).

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
I mean, there was nothing in the Direct to actually be upset over. Uninteresting? Sure. But there's no actual BAD news here. It's not Byleth.

You're right. Though I personally disagree on Byleth as I quite liked they're addition. But regardless yes, there wasn't anything bad here. I think most of the frustration comes from the fact that Nintendo has said nothign about what they themselves are working on for the rest of the year. Doesn't personally make a huge difference to me since I still have a huge backlog of Switch games alone to get through.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
While I'm here, y'all remember that private F-Zero twitter account?

It was fake.
Well that's a given. You're sooner to get a Mother 3 localization, Metroid Prime Trilogy HD, BotW 2, and Sora for Smash in the same Direct than actually have Nintendo care about F-Zero.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
So...they're bringing Ryza 2 overseas...but they only bring the game up in the Japanese Direct...?

No idea what they were thinking there. I guess Ryza's chances bumped up a little, but still, not even bothering to show the game outside Japan isn't very promising.
NoA's marketing definitely drop the ball there, especially since Japanese third party publishers tend to support the system a lot more then western publishers and it doesn't help that the 2K Sports series as a though is one big dumpster fire especially the WWE games.

D

Deleted member

A lot of us were really just hoping that something of substance for Nintendo in general would be revealed. An 8.5 minute mini direct that satisfied a minority playerbase wasn't really what we were gunning for.

zferolie

Smash Hero
If this is how people react to getting news, I hope Nintendo follows this one with a long drought because holy ****.

It's just video games, guys.
Very true, and maybe i am over reacting. I am just.... dissapointed that NoA cut the games i would be most interested in. Yeah they are still coming, and thats awesome, but their marketing just baffles me.

Very true. I just think some nintendo fans are just rapid angry manbabies who attack leakers to blame them for something.

kevinthedot

Smash Apprentice
Similar to the Treehouse event they did before, I think this is a means for them to further trim the fat from their main Directs. Directs had a tendancy to get bogged down with a lot of third party junk that wasn't that interesting. This new partner showcase series and reveals like the Treehouse Bakugan thing may be their method of appeasing their advertising partners while letting them have more freedom with their first party reveals.
This all just means that if we do get a full direct at some point this year, we'll probably get a REALLY tight one. Not the longest, but the most dense with first party stuff.

As for why the Japanese one was so much better than the American one, that's just probably up to NoA being dumb about what they assume would appeal to the American market over the Japanese one. Of the games not discussed in the American one, two of them were SUPER Japanese focused. Ryza's more general and the more Japanese ones do look better and more interesting to me (and probably a lot of people) but the marketing team probably just made bad calls based on what they assumed people would be more into.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Yeah, probably. If it's a monthly thing like the Download, we'll probably have a steady stream of release dates given. If that happens, maybe we'll look back on today and think, "Perhaps I was too hard on you."
I can only speak for myself here, but I think the "more videos in this series will be released this year" bit made the Direct mini a lot easier to swallow, with Kelios saying that we'll be getting another Direct with first-party stuff shortly afterwards helping a bit. Even if this Direct mini wasn't too exciting for me, at least I can rest easy with the possibility that more is on the way shortly.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Just a reminder that SMT still doesn't have content in Smash, not even Jack Frost as a measly spirit.

Demi-fiend for Smash let's go.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
A lot of us were really just hoping that something of substance for Nintendo in general would be revealed. An 8.5 minute mini direct that satisfied a minority playerbase wasn't really what we were gunning for.
And there was a lot of speculation and hype regarding it, and it even got it;s own announcement. It doesn't help that some of the best announcements are Japan-exclusive.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Isn't Koei Tecmo a Japanese company? Or have I just been wrong all this time.

Either way, yeah, I'd assume they have a say on how their games are shown. I personally think it was more of focusing on different audiences, the Japanese will likely appreciate Atelier Ryza more (though the western presentation could have really used it).
I think they might be split up in a similar way Capcom is? Actually, I remember now, they are a Japanese one. I dunno if that's the main branch, though. Hell, they created Monster Rancher too. That game was announced on the Nintendo Japanese Twitter, but nowhere else, for the remake of the second game. Methinks Nintendo and Koei Tecmo are outright discussing on when and where to announce the products. And simply put, the US direct mini wasn't in KT's interest.

But the fact their European Branch has a different way to announce it is proof they want to do things differently. It's their IP, so they choose how to announce it as well. It is worth noting the different audience factors too. They do stuff like DOA etc. and might want to appeal carefully with their IP's, basing the announcements off of different situations. Ryza 2 is more appealing to Japanese audiences, so they might not think it will do as much for the Western ones.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

That's the nature of 3rd party dubs. They probably couldn't get the trailer ready in time. If it were published by Nintendo it'd be a different story, but I honestly doubt this has much of a negative impact on Ryza's chances.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Similar to the Treehouse event they did before, I think this is a means for them to further trim the fat from their main Directs. Directs had a tendancy to get bogged down with a lot of third party junk that wasn't that interesting. This new partner showcase series and reveals like the Treehouse Bakugan thing may be their method of appeasing their advertising partners while letting them have more freedom with their first party reveals.
This all just means that if we do get a full direct at some point this year, we'll probably get a REALLY tight one. Not the longest, but the most dense with first party stuff.

As for why the Japanese one was so much better than the American one, that's just probably up to NoA being dumb about what they assume would appeal to the American market over the Japanese one. Of the games not discussed in the American one, two of them were SUPER Japanese focused. Ryza's more general and the more Japanese ones do look better and more interesting to me (and probably a lot of people) but the marketing team probably just made bad calls based on what they assumed people would be more into.
I will say that i feel a lot of marketing teams, not just nintendo but most busniess even outside of gaming, have no actual idea what people like. They just look at charts, focus testing, and guesswork, and it frustrates me how bad most marketing stuff is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom