• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Told you all.
There a reasons no one wanna share stuff they know.
Welcome to the nintendo community 101

zferolie

Smash Hero
Don't worry. Ryza 2 is coming to the west. In America tweet too.

And it's on sale on Steam and Switch. Which means finally....View attachment 279447

THEN WHY THE **** WASN'T THAT IN THE ACTUAL DIRECT WTF IS NOA S MARKETING TEAM EVEN DOING?!?!?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
They basically just showed the japanese trailer for SMT5 but with english subs, and the remake of 3 had japanese menus, so i feel they could have done the same thing for the other games.
It's especially irritating with Sakuna because that was shown at last year's Treehouse with full English voice acting and text. It could easily be put in the English direct without any trouble, but nope, Japan only.
Nintendo Ninjas really ain’t ****ing around
It's not the ninjas, though. Just the fans becoming a mob.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
"Can we have WWE All Stars 2?"

"We have WWE All Stars 2 at home"

All Stars 2 at home:

Also Bayonetta 3 is never coming out, and I will most likely cry in my sleep about it.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
Kelios is quitting because of harassment.
And we wonder why leakers don't talk to us.
Good for him, probably for the best. Even if I knew "inside information" of Nintendo's plans, I wouldn't come forward with it, as it would likely backlash anyway, as Nintendo seems to be very quirky with their plans (especially now with the pandemic) and the fans being all kinds of crazy.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I like the way SMTVs protag looks he/she looks adorable to me
I don't know how to feel about the protag to be honest. For now I'm not a big fan of the design, to be honest.

Hmmmm starting to wonder if SMT could be a potential dark horse pick from vol 2

And before you say "BuT PeRsOnA iS SMT", not really, it's more of a subseries. Think of it a bit like Kingdom Hearts in relation to Final Fantasy

Joker was fairly light on the SMT side of things all things considered, not even a Jack Frost appearance like was speculated. So there's definitely some stuff to work with there
Yeah. Not saying SMT is 100% DLC, but it could happen. As you said, Joker barely came with SMT content. This isn't a SNK situation where Haohmaru (Samurai Shodown) or Kyo (King of Fighters) already had content with Terry's challenger pack.

zferolie

Smash Hero
It's especially irritating with Sakuna because that was shown at last year's Treehouse with full English voice acting and text. It could easily be put in the English direct without any trouble, but nope, Japan only.

It's not the ninjas, though. Just the fans becoming a mob.
I knew i saw that in english last year. I am just... ****ing baffled at the incompetence of NoA right now. First it was that whole Bakugan thing. and now cutting games from an already tiny direct that we know are coming but they were in the japanese direct.

I bet if they kept those in, the direct would have been over 10 minutes, and more people would have liked it it. But instead they showed rogue company and wwe crap.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Well...Idon is probably happy at least.

But yeah, lately it really feels like they're taking all the content that WOULD have been their E3 Direct, and just splitting it up into a bunch of separate smaller Directs and spreading them out...

In a 10 minute presentation? We'll be lucky to get 10 of them.
And we barely got 5!

They got Ryza 2!
Hmm. They got a bunch of stuff we didn't get. Although several of them looked to just be 2 second announcements of new Switch ports.

Don't worry. Ryza 2 is coming to the west.
...I wasn't worried?

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
THEN WHY THE **** WASN'T THAT IN THE ACTUAL DIRECT WTF IS NOA S MARKETING TEAM EVEN DOING?!?!?
...Maybe because Koei Tecmo wanted to announce it themselves on twitter?

You know that Nintendo can't just announce anything 3rd party they want, right? They actually have to talk to the companies and figure this stuff out.

Seriously, chill out. You're way overreacting to nothing.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I think it was to appeal to the American audience...

Things like wrestling and shooters.

...yeah I don't get it either.
American born and raised! ...The Japanese games look way more appealing to me. I'd gladly have traded the trailers for the wrestling game and the shooter for English trailers of the Japanese games

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

Well if they had included that information about Ryza 2, it might have lengthened the Direct to a clearly unreasonable 10 minutes, and who has that kind of time?

zferolie

Smash Hero

NoA is going gonna see the dislikes, and think its just people angry on no smash or something. No, people arent mad that... well not everyone. They did a terrible job picking the games to show. Zelda dlc is great. The smt games are also great, but then NoA had only 2 other games shown, rogue company, and wwe. That is why people are mad, the lack of games shown. If they threw in FFCCJD, Ryza 2, and Sakuna, thats 3 more games that appeal to a woder, broader audience. Instant win.

Fire whoever is incharge of NoA marketing now.

volbound1700

Smash Master

I can see that to some degree but Nintendo's US audience is niche based on how they have behaved the last 10-15 years. The adult shooters/wrestling audience are likely going to get a Playstation or Xbox and not a Nintendo platform. Their customer base is one that general likes the type of games the Japanese audience would be interested in. Granted, this sentence shows why Nintendo lives in the shadow of the other two companies in the United States. Nintendo has always been very Japanese-centric to a fault. This can even be seen with the Smash Brothers DLC packs which are very Japanese-centric with the exception of Banjo-Kazooie. (I expect the same thing with this FP. We will get one beloved Western Character and the rest will be mostly Japanese favorites).

It works for Nintendo so I can't blame them on their strategy. I definitely understand a Japanese first mentality since that is their loyal base and they do have a small base in the US that likes it as well. (A great example is my arguments about Joker being a bad pick getting blowback on this thread. There are people in the West that like Joker but that is a very small audience. The shooter/wrestling crowd is not going to like Joker for example).

It still stinks overall though because Nintendo has better IP and game developers than Microsoft or Sony. In many ways, it wouldn't be so bad to see Nintendo drop out of the console wars and become just a game developer. I would love to see what Sony could do with Nintendo IP. Sony listens to US and European and in general global audiences. They succeed where Nintendo fails.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
SMT5 meme is over, Bayonetta 3 meme begins
Friendship ended with Bayonetta. Now Demi-fiend is my best friend.

It's that simple answer of "WWE's popular in Western countries, so why not have that?"...

...But again, WWE 2K20 was a catastrophe, and Battlegrounds doesn't tread new ground at all. (Maximillian Dood played a very similar game from the 360 / PS3 era together with his friends: WWE All-Stars). It feels obvious to me that 2K cobbled together Battlegrounds since they weren't going to get a WWE 2K21 done at all - and would rather get a little money than none at all.
Ah, yes, WWE, the massively popular video game IP that makes headlines in the west. Like, yeah, I know wrestling in general is popular in the US, but... it still feels so tone-deaf.

CC might not be my favorite FF game and I don't really know much or care about Atelier, but even then I can tell it's a blunder to exclude them because "the west". Judging by the tone of your post and the insider on your embed, I guess most people can too.

Oh, since I'm responding to you: I guess we're both missing that Wild Rift announcement, huh? Now that would be a decent enough substitute for the west, at least. :roll:

KillerCage

Smash Master
Don't worry. Ryza 2 is coming to the west. In America tweet too.

And it's on sale on Steam and Switch. Which means finally....View attachment 279447
NoA...

What were you guys smoking when you decided to announce Ryza 2's localization not in the Direct Mini but in a Twitter post!?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
NoA is going gonna see the dislikes, and think its just people angry on no smash or something. No, people arent mad that... well not everyone. They did a terrible job picking the games to show. Zelda dlc is great. The smt games are also great, but then NoA had only 2 other games shown, rogue company, and wwe. That is why people are mad, the lack of games shown. If they threw in FFCCJD, Ryza 2, and Sakuna, thats 3 more games that appeal to a woder, broader audience. Instant win.

Fire whoever is incharge of NoA marketing now.
I think it can be chalked up to Nintendo fans being pissy considering again, SMTV getting dislike-bombed because waaah no red plumber no Persona 5

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It's a bit worrying that they felt the need to make a Direct Mini for so few announcements, if a general Direct was in any way close you'd expect they'd just have put these games in there. I know the Japanese Direct Mini had more announcements, but a lot of the games shown across both could just have been shown in a short segment, like we've often seen Directs do towards the end.

Not terribly excited if these Partner Showcases are what they hope to fill out the time with for the summer, 3rd party games are all well and good, and of course it's about time SMT fans got their day, so good on them, but getting no first party news for the foreseeable future would be a huge disappointment.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
...Maybe because Koei Tecmo wanted to announce it themselves on twitter?

You know that Nintendo can't just announce anything 3rd party they want, right? They actually have to talk to the companies and figure this stuff out.

Seriously, chill out. You're way overreacting to nothing.
Sorry if i am getting a bit frustrated, but i dont see why they would want to announce it on the japanese direct, but then not want to announce it in the others. Its free advertising, and lots more exposure then just a tweet, as you get non followers and potental new customers seeing it.

Heres's the full video:
View attachment 279452
Just kidding ofcourse XD
Yeah i saw that trailer in the jp direct and i am happy game explain is showing it off. And yeah, its the shantae window all over again... but man that envelope looks EXACTLY like a smash invite.

American born and raised! ...The Japanese games look way more appealing to me. I'd gladly have traded the trailers for the wrestling game and the shooter for English trailers of the Japanese games
Yeah raised in nj in an italian family, and i love more japanese things then american things.

Well if they had included that information about Ryza 2, it might have lengthened the Direct to a clearly unreasonable 10 minutes, and who has that kind of time?
I dont know why they thought a sub 10 minute video would go over well at all.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I kinda wish the direct had never been leaked, and it was just another shadowdrop. We got expectations too high, and it failed to meet them. If it was just a shadowdrop, it'd be met with some confusion and disappointment, but mostly we'd be waking up to SMTV and celebrating.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think it can be chalked up to Nintendo fans being pissy considering again, SMTV getting dislike-bombed because waaah no red plumber no Persona 5
Again, the SMTV trailer and the Nocturne remake are getting far less dislikes (overall and proportionally) compared to the Direct video itself so this strikes me as a dubious assumption.

Last edited:

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Main takeaway I've noticed is that people hate WWE a lot and it's hilarious seeing people react to Battlegrounds for the first time. Anyway, CoH season pass looks like it'll be amazing and the SMT news is huge. For 8 minutes, it wasn't too bad.

volbound1700

Smash Master
It's a bit worrying that they felt the need to make a Direct Mini for so few announcements, if a general Direct was in any way close you'd expect they'd just have put these games in there. I know the Japanese Direct Mini had more announcements, but a lot of the games shown across both could just have been shown in some sort of segment, like we've often seen Directs do towards the end.

Not terribly excited if these Partner Showcases are what they hope to fill out the time with for the summer, 3rd party games are all well and good, and of course it's about time SMT fans got their day, so good on them, but getting no first party news for the foreseeable future would be a huge disappointment.
To be fair, I think the leakers hyped this up to be something that it wasn't and was never intended to be. The leakers get me hyped about Doomguy being in Smash or Crash being in Smash and then it never happens. This is why I am also frustrated about the lack of Smash DLC pact reviews. I don't get on the thread to much because I always end up releasing my frustration about character picks in the DLC that I don't like and get trolled on here. I have avoided the leakers all together. We need to set our expectations in check.

That being said, Nintendo is terrible with market relations, especially in the West. Sony blows them away in how it handles its marketing, customer support, etc.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Not surprised Kelios is pissed. We're in a year where Nintendo is being very strange with their communication and their directs so we basically knew nothing, then he correctly predicted the date of the direct. He could have said nothing and left us blind. Yeah, being a leaker and all isn't a job or anything, but still.
People should just temper their expectations. Maybe a few insiders should be more careful as well, but if they we're saying certain things the last few days it wasn't because they wanted to troll us, but because the information they had made them believe we would get a full fledged Nintendo Direct. Or that's what I guess.

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
I thought it was alright for a mini, NecroDancer DLC is neat and SMT was unexpected. But learning afterwards that there was 2 or 3 other games from the Japanese presentation that they did not slot in the Western broadcasts is very disappointing.

I know they emphasised twice during the Direct more of these are coming this year, but giving us a window would be nice because there clearly is a huge demand for Nintendo news and today won't suffice for most fans.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Not surprised Kelios is pissed. We're in a year where Nintendo is being very strange with their communication and their directs so we basically knew nothing, then he correctly predicted the date of the direct. He could have said nothing and left us blind. Yeah, being a leaker and all isn't a job or anything, but still.
People should just temper their expectations. Maybe a few insiders should be more careful as well, but if they we're saying certain things the last few days it wasn't because they wanted to troll us, but because the information they had made them believe we would get a full fledged Nintendo Direct. Or that's what I guess.
The shameful thing is that Kelios is being harassed for things they didn't even say.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Main takeaway I've noticed is that people hate WWE a lot and it's hilarious seeing people react to Battlegrounds for the first time. Anyway, CoH season pass looks like it'll be amazing and the SMT news is huge. For 8 minutes, it wasn't too bad.
I was not mad at all about this direct while i watched it. I felt if this was all they had to show, this was fine. But then i saw the japanese one and cut out 4 minutes of footage and a bunch of games, 3 of them at least already announced for english, and thats what really pissed me off.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Speaking of leakers, and those whomst may not be, I decided to look up what a certain one that was all the rage a few weeks ago had to say.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Gotta hand it to them, at least they're dedicated to this. Regardless of whether or not they're legit.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If these style minis happen monthy or biweekly, then I think they're a great idea.

But I don't think that'll happen.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That's not even NoA.

That's Koei Tecmo Europe.
Doesn't Koei Tecmo actually own the Atelier Ryza IP? Or is it co-owned by Nintendo or something?

If they even slightly own the IP, then they have a lot of authority on how it's used. That includes announcements. It makes a lot of sense in that way. Koei Tecmo wanted to announce it themselves outside of Japan, but they're also not a Japanese company. So they probably felt it'd be easier to make sure Japan knows of it through the direct. As a notable Western company they want some of their own attention.

Sorry if i am getting a bit frustrated, but i dont see why they would want to announce it on the japanese direct, but then not want to announce it in the others. Its free advertising, and lots more exposure then just a tweet, as you get non followers and potental new customers seeing it.
They're a western company. They can't properly announce it to Japanese audiences easily since their twitter(s?) is(are) targeted towards UK and US audiences alone. They're different situations.

It's very easy for Koei Tecmo to announce stuff just for their own countries, but not for ones they're unrelated to. Microsoft happens to be their own gaming company, so they can do their own directs. Otherwise, they very often just throw it on their Twitter for announcements. Even Nintendo is doing their own Twitter announcements instead of just videos. A lot of companies do this. If they think it works better, that's just how it is. I agree it should've been on both ends, but there's also one other thing to keep in mind; Koei Tecmo being Western means they might only want to show off Western/translate gameplay proper, not the Japanese version. That's actually logical. Not every company is bothered by that, but some want to appeal with the proper language. A simple announcement online does that pretty well.

Also, actually look at the tweet. They wanted to give information on their website. That's a pretty clear reason they didn't want to show it in the US/UK, since they want to give the details themselves.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom