• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Well, if Ryza 2 isn't coming overseas, then her chances just dropped down to about 2%.

I'll leave a small percentage for her just because anything can happen, but I can't see Nintendo adding a character whose popularity is so exclusive to one region that they don't even bother releasing her game outside Japan.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Like... why would you take out stuff like Ryza 2 and FFCCHD and give us WWE instead? Why would you even think that is a good idea!?

I swear, I don't get Nintendo's marketing...

Also, I know the Ryza rumor is 100% fake, but I feel like joking around, so lemme draw your attention to this, just because :joyful:

Captura de Tela (185).png

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Well, this Direct changes a few things.
  • The fact that the Japanese version had different reveals means that, for the most part, these Showcases will NOT be chunks of E3 like I thought literally two hours ago. These are their own thing. Because E3 Directs are consistent between regions, iirc.
  • The fact that they said the Showcases would happen throughout the year makes me think that we'll likely not get a proper general non-mini Direct until either 2021 or, if the pandemic is still not solved for that entire year, a vaccine is developed.
  • First-parties can show up in those because we had Cadence of Hyrule news, but then again, it's also technically a partnership with Spike Chunsoft, so... Maybe no in-house stuff?

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
That's... not sure how I feel about that decision really. Not translating Ryza 2 feels kinda weird
Im more annoyed the japanese direct showed more games i am actually interested in. Ryza 2, and sakuna. Wtf weren't those in the American direct. Ruza 2 got rated in Australia so its getting localized, and i feel Sakuna was announced for english before
I'm thinkin they'll probably end up in the West at some point, but they probably wanted to wait for the localization to be finished and release dates set or something, before showing them off to western audiences.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well, if Ryza 2 isn't coming overseas, then her chances just dropped down to about 2%.

I'll leave a small percentage for her just because anything can happen, but I can't see Nintendo adding a character whose popularity is so exclusive to one region that they don't even bother releasing her game outside Japan.
It's just not ready for english. That's the most likely.

But in any case that leak was fake so, I dont think her chances are that high :p

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That was fun. I didn't really care too much about SMT, but I'm still glad we're getting more information on it(and it's a pretty damn cool series regardless). I liked the more cartoony WWE game, especially after seeing a dragon punch. Cadence of Hyrule was my favorite part, despite me not being able to enjoy Rhythm games. It looks like the first appearance of a form of Shadow/Dark Zelda since... actually, did she even get a cameo in the Toon-style games at all? Maybe when she was possessed in Spirit Tracks? I guess you could lightly count her being possessed in Twilight Princess, but this one is clearly more meant to be an equivalent to Shadow Link, who is an actual separate entity. So it's closer to the tv show Dark Zelda, a proper evil clone of sorts. Project Rogue was the only one that just... did nothing for me at all.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Shame we didn't get trailers for some of those Japanese games. They look cool. But if there are going to be more minis, maybe it's a matter of they needed more time to translate the trailers?

Also lol that WWE game looks like trash, sorry

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'm seeing a lot more dislikes on the actual Direct video than the SMTV trailer and in terms voicing displeasure that seems a lot more fair.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Kelios believes we'll be getting a major direct with the good stuff soon.
Kinda goes in line with what NateDrake was saying earlier. They seem to have made some really bizarre presentation decisions that has a few insiders shaking their heads.

I wonder if we'll be getting more of these in the coming weeks or if they're gearing up for a major Direct in August.

Regardless... I foresee a SMTV Spirit Event in 2021.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Pretty unsurprised with the quality of the direct: mostly mediocrity with one or two cool announcements. Rouge Corps is about as generic as a AAA FPS can look in 2020 and the dubya dubya eee mobile game getting its own segment is laughable, but Cadence's DLC is something and SMT finally getting some action is nice to see. Weird NoA just chose to cut a bunch of Japanese announcements though

What I'm more concerned about is what these announcements mean for a full Direct in the near future. With the exception of maybe SMT, all of these games could've been in a regular direct. The optimist in me says they're doing this to give some announcements that would get swept up in a general direct some time to shine, but the pessimist in me says these games had to be announced now for one reason or another and there's no regular direct to carry them in time.

Here's to hoping we get a Pokemon style "There's a full direct in the coming week!" announcement on Twitter today.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Like... why would you take out stuff like Ryza 2 and FFCCHD and give us WWE instead? Why would you even think that is a good idea!?

Also, I know the Ryza rumor is 100% fake, but I feel like joking around, so lemme draw your attention to this, just because :joyful:

Yeah i really hate how much the NA direct cut out. Sakuna(if i am getting the name wrong correct me i am on phone) Ryza 2, FFCCHD, and a bunch more on that sizzle reel. Wtf is NoA thinking cutting all that out and most of them games we KNOW are coming?!.

And yeah, i saw that shot in the Ryza trailer too and loled

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Hmmmm starting to wonder if SMT could be a potential dark horse pick from vol 2

And before you say "BuT PeRsOnA iS SMT", not really, it's more of a subseries. Think of it a bit like Kingdom Hearts in relation to Final Fantasy

Joker was fairly light on the SMT side of things all things considered, not even a Jack Frost appearance like was speculated. So there's definitely some stuff to work with there

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord

And before you say "BuT PeRsOnA iS SMT", not really, it's more of a subseries. Think of it a bit like Kingdom Hearts in relation to Final Fantasy

Joker was fairly light on the SMT side of things all things considered, not even a Jack Frost appearance.
I would love Jack Frost in Smash, hee ho!

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
https://twitter.com/KeliosFR/status/1285218735016546307

And looks like Kelios is out
So back to our endless speculating!
Good. It was his all his fault anyway. How dare he tell us exactly when we'd get a Direct!

But seriously, I feel like other reliable sources added fuel to the fire and made this a bigger deal than it should've been. I get that things were changed, but they need to be more careful going forward.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Joker was fairly light on the SMT side of things all things considered, not even a Jack Frost appearance. So there's definitely some stuff to work with there
From what I saw Demifiend was the biggest character people speculated on for Atlus besides Persona 5 so hey, adds up

zferolie

Smash Hero
I'm thinkin they'll probably end up in the West at some point, but they probably wanted to wait for the localization to be finished and release dates set or something, before showing them off to western audiences.
They basically just showed the japanese trailer for SMT5 but with english subs, and the remake of 3 had japanese menus, so i feel they could have done the same thing for the other games.

https://twitter.com/KeliosFR/status/1285218735016546307

And looks like Kelios is out
So back to our endless speculating!
Well thats sad. It just shows just how rabid the vocal minority can be. This giy had some legit right info but people just attack him because nintendo showed stuff they didnt like

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Shame we didn't get trailers for some of those Japanese games. They look cool. But if there are going to be more minis, maybe it's a matter of they needed more time to translate the trailers?

Also lol that WWE game looks like trash, sorry
I'm not interested in Wrestling games unless it's a remake of No Mercy... which of course will never happen.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
You know, if every one of these Mini Partner Direct things ends up having a SMTV-esque "IT'S FINALLY HERE" trailer... I think it might work out OK.

There's no shortage of them either. Next one could be Bayonetta 3. Then No More Heroes 3. And so on. And so forth.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!

YeppersPeppers

Smash Journeyman
I could definitely see Nintendo being interested in double-dipping into the Atlus pool for a SMT character in Smash if they really want to push SMT. SMT has so much to pull from and definitely carries a style that would be super unique to Smash.

volbound1700

Smash Master

[/SPOILER]
This is the reason that Nintendo in the United States lives in the shadows of Microsoft and Sony with the exception of a few bright spots. (Wii early days and Switch early days). Watch Sony bury Nintendo when it discusses PS5 and it will get all of the hype.

A great example of Nintendo's irrelevance in video game pop-culture is the Southpark Black Friday special that I was watching the other day. The whole fight is Microsoft Xbox one vs. Sony PS4. No Nintendo items are even referenced.

Nintendo makes poor marketing decisions (at least internationally). I do think Nintendo does well in Japan and caters heavily to the local market. I don't think they do a good job with the non-Japanese market. Sony does a lot better with the international market.

This is one of the reason why third parties have abandoned Nintendo at times. Nintendo still lags behind on internet play, etc. The sad thing is that Nintendo has the best IP and probably the best developers in the industry. It is their business decisions that are lacking at times.

SKX31

Smash Master

It's that simple answer of "WWE's popular in Western countries, so why not have that?"...

...But again, WWE 2K20 was a catastrophe, and Battlegrounds doesn't tread new ground at all. (Maximillian Dood played a very similar game from the 360 / PS3 era together with his friends: WWE All-Stars). It feels obvious to me that 2K cobbled together Battlegrounds since they weren't going to get a WWE 2K21 done at all - and would rather get a little money than none at all.

Also:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom