• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
By hint, I could also see it being something like a "We'll be having a presentation soon on X day or in X month! Look forward to it!" and that's it.

I think that's what they did at EVO last year, so I could see it happening again.
Wasn't that in 2018? And that was an entire Smash Bros dedicated Direct, the one that announced Simon and K.Rool.

If this next character isn't coming until September, then they'd probably be pinning the date for sometime in September, but not much else.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
I suppose some info is better than no info, but a guessing game would be pretty annoying. Not to mention it would only really work with certain types of games. More story-driven games or games with titular characters would be pretty hard to do a guessing game with.

Shroob

Sup?
I suppose some info is better than no info, but a guessing game would be pretty annoying. Not to mention it would only really work with certain types of games. More story-driven games or games with titular characters would be pretty hard to do a guessing game with.
Wouldn't it be a ****ing coincidence if they pulled this guessing game, but then followed up with:

"The next character.... is from the Alterier Series! Can you guess which protagonist?!"

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Wouldn't it be a ****ing coincidence if they pulled this guessing game, but then followed up with:

"The next character.... is from the Alterier Series! Can you guess which protagonist?!"
"Also, coming to Nintendo Switch, Atelier Ryza 2."

Calane

Smash Ace
I'm late to the "less discussed characters you want to see" talk, but I thought I'd chime in anyway. Ahem...

Adol Christin from the Ys series!

Ys is in my top 3 favorite video game franchises next to Kirby and Dragon Quest, so you can only imagine how ecstatic I would be to see my favorite red haired adventurer join the roster. I'd absolutely flip. If he'd fight anything like he does in his games, he'd be one of the craziest, funnest characters to play as in Smash. I can think of, like, three different gimmicks he could have, and I could probably make an entire moveset based on his skills from Ys 8 alone! And that's just using one game!

And the music he'd come with? I'm not sure if Smash fans would be ready for it. Just listen to some of this stuff!

Sunshine Coastline

Iclucian Dance

Great Plains: Pan-Gaia

Crimson Fighter

I mean, THIS is what it sounds like to climb a giant mountain in Ys 8. And THIS is crossing a desert in Ys 7.

I could go on, but I'll stop myself from typing too much. After the DQ Heroes, Adol would be my ultimate dream character, followed by Arle.

adol 2.gif

I don't get to talk about him or his series much, though. Such is life.

Edit: It appears that in the overly long time it took for me to finish this post, the thread has already completely moved past this topic... Just my luck, I suppose.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Imagine a guessing game with every new Pokemon introduced in Gen 8, plus all of the new regional forms.

How fun.
Baboom will be murdered in a swarm of "Achskually" debates between Cinderace and Toxtricity supporters.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
For real, I don't need Smash news that badly yet.

Whats I really want is a major update on Breath of the Wild 2 already...It's been over a year since it was unveiled and we haven't gotten any additional announcements on it or footage of it since.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
I think that if its a mini, it will have mayor focus on september/october games (and DLC), similar to march mini that focused on may/june stuff.

Maybe something to this? (being analog to march mini direct)

- Starts with Mario 35th anniversary games (3D Collection and 3D World DX)
- Pikmin 3 DX
- 1-2 shadowdrops
- 1 new indie collaboration (like Good Job!)
- 4-5 new (somewhat big) third party games (new or port)
- More info on one of the pokémon projects (New Snap, Unite, Detective Pikachu or Sword/Shield DLC#2)
- Doom Eternal release date
- Bravely Default II release date
- Third party sizzle reel (7-9 games, some that we already know like Crysis, FF CC or NBA/FIFA, some new but not big enough, think last gen ports)
- Animal Crossing update
- Free game/special game/something cool for NSO users
- Smash Fighter Pack #7, ending the direct (a teaser? or full trailer?)

That would be around 15-17 headlines. I think that is something expectable?

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I'm late to the "less discussed characters you want to see" talk, but I thought I'd chime in anyway. Ahem...

Adol Christin from the Ys series!

Ys is in my top 3 favorite video game franchises next to Kirby and Dragon Quest, so you can only imagine how ecstatic I would be to see my favorite red haired adventurer join the roster. I'd absolutely flip. If he'd fight anything like he does in his games, he'd be one of the craziest, funnest characters to play as in Smash. I can think of, like, three different gimmicks he could have, and I could probably make an entire moveset based on his skills from Ys 8 alone! And that's just using one game!

And the music he'd come with? I'm not sure if Smash fans would be ready for it. Just listen to some of this stuff!

Sunshine Coastline

Iclucian Dance

Great Plains: Pan-Gaia

Crimson Fighter

I mean, THIS is what it sounds like to climb a giant mountain in Ys 8. And THIS is crossing a desert in Ys 7.

I could go on, but I'll stop myself from typing too much. After the DQ Heroes, Adol would be my ultimate dream character, followed by Arle.

View attachment 278986

I don't get to talk about him or his series much, though. Such is life.

Edit: It appears that in the overly long time it took for me to finish this post, the thread has already completely moved past this topic... Just my luck, I suppose.
Once again it seems we're both interested in a lesser speculated character. If I had a nickel for every time this happened I'd have like, 2 nickels. Which isn't a lot but it's still funny it's happened twice.

Adol is a character I've been wanting to write about for a while, and now that I have some more time to do so hopefully I can finally get around to him and some others I want to write about too.

Calane

Smash Ace
Once again it seems we're both interested in a lesser speculated character. If I had a nickel for every time this happened I'd have like, 2 nickels. Which isn't a lot but it's still funny it's happened twice.

Adol is a character I've been wanting to write about for a while, and now that I have some more time to do so hopefully I can finally get around to him and some others I want to write about too.
They do say great minds think alike, right?

It's pretty cool that you're interested in writing something up about Adol, so I'll be looking forward to it.

Corbin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nibrocofthepuddn

Whats I really want is a major update on Breath of the Wild 2 already...It's been over a year since it was unveiled and we haven't gotten any additional announcements on it or footage of it since.
I'd love some BotW2 news. That and Elden Ring have had no news since their reveals last year. Even just a screenshot would be nice, lol

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Do you guys think its possible for a direct announcement during the weekend?

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Yes and no.

I'm predicting the Direct will be announced on 20th, Japan time. And air on the 21st in Japan. This means in certain parts of the world it will be announced on the 19th

osby

Smash Obsessed
If it's a Mini, yes.

Not sure how likely it is, though. I can see Nintendo leaving us in the dark for a little longer, unpleasant as it is.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I don't really care if the direct is a mini or regular as long as something of value comes from it. And hopefully a cool Smash addition

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Since it keeps getting brought up lately, which less discussed characters would you guys want to see?
Would Actually Make Me Cry Tears of Joy

Sgt. Cortez (TimeSplitters) The one and only so it's TIME TO SPLIT!

Time to split past.gif

Hype AF

Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)
Crono (Chrono Trigger)

Would Be Cool

Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot)
Klonoa (Klonoa)
Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
Sol Badguy (Guilty Gear)
Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes)
Geno (Super Mario RPG)

Would Explode With Hype, But Probably Impossible

Ark (Terranigma)
Cormano (Sunset Riders)

MarioDDR755

Smash Apprentice
I don't really care if the direct is a mini or regular as long as something of value comes from it. And hopefully a cool Smash addition
Yeah, the "Mini" refers to the quantity of reveals but not necessarily the quality. I'll just take whatever they have ready for us, which I hope is exciting!

That about tracks for how long it took for them to get around to telling us about and releasing BOTW1 after revealing it in 2014. Not that they're not reusing a lot of assets this time anyway, but I wouldn't doubt they'll take their time with it.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
This is my stance, hell I was pretty happy with the last mini direct outside of ending with info on DLC we already knew about, since there were several things I was interested since I ended up buying Xenoblade and the ports of the Borderlands games on release day and I do have plans to pick up the Bioshock collection, X-Com 2, Club House Games, and Catherine Full Body at some point. We even got the first details on Bravely Default 2 along with a demo getting shadowdrop.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Another crossovers that Tencent done with their game like PUBG Mobile is adding Suicide Squad, Resident Evil 2 (2019), The Walking Dead, Mission Impossible, and Angry Birds.

The one thing that I notice about Arena of Valor having a advantage over League of Legends is that AoV is actually available on the Switch, and it was release on September 25, 2018. The very same Sep 25 that the amiibo is going to be released (if COVID-19 doesn't interfered with the date).

Since there is a emphasis and insistence for Fighter 7 to be a Fall character, and not a Summer character. Here is a reminder of the date:

* September 22 - End of Summer
* September 25
- Japanese and European release of Joker amiibo and Hero amiibo
- 2nd anniversary of Arena of Valor on Switch
* September 26 - 1st Japanese anniversary of Atelier Ryza
Interesting... though with Wild Rift all but verbally confirmed for the Switch, that advantage might not last for long.

Heoj

Smash Ace
Obviously i would prefer a general direct but i woukd be fine with a mini as long as it isnt shadowdropped, like honestly id be pissed if they shadowdrop a direct since id most likely get spoiled.
Also theres no way there gonna do another guess who, i mean it worked for arms but it would be a sh*!storm if it happened again, and im confident Nintendo/sakurai are aware of that.
I also think a gameplay trailer for nmh3 is basically guaranteed since development seems to be going well since suda is still trolling the gameplay reveal

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
Anyway I suggest we change the topiç
View attachment 278974
How would anyone feel if we got a Danganronpa character as our first visual novel character
I'd have mixed emotions. I'd rather have Makoto than Monokuma if it were to happen but even then, I feel like Ace Attorney (Phoenix Wright in particular) should get in before Danganronpa.
I would... Object.
kek
Of course it's possible, but I wouldn't keep my hopes up.

Staarih

Smash Master
Yeah, I’m all up for even a Mini, because then at least we’d get something. Now that Paper Mario is out, we have no idea what’s coming next.

And while there is indeed a pattern of Nintendo not usually announcing stuff during the weekend, this is 2020, we never know what’s going to happen. A potential Direct on a Monday breaks patterns as is already. We’ll see.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Some of the less discussed characters that I would enjoy, or otherwise think have something interesting going for them,

A Warcraft character: If we are talking about biggest games in history, you can't make the list without Warcraft. I see this as pretty analogous to a LoL character. As for who would be added... I don't know. Thrall? Arthas? Sylvanas? Jaina?

Jazz Jackrabbit: Super niche. Would never happen. I still think it would be neat.

Glover: The legend himself. I think the playstyle would be pretty unique.

American McGee's Alice: Probably not allowed because of being based on a book character, but you can make the argument that the work is its own thing and that Alice is a video game character first and foremost. Anyway, I really enjoy the games and setting.

Guybrush Threepwood: If you want to represent the point and click adventure genre he would be your man.
A Warcraft rep would make a lot of sense. World of Warcraft was one of the most dominant names in gaming in the ‘00s & it’s still going semi-strong almost two decades later. I think a Mii costume or Spirit event should happen at the very least.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
A Warcraft rep would make a lot of sense. World of Warcraft was one of the most dominant names in gaming in the ‘00s & it’s still going semi-strong almost two decades later. I think a Mii costume or Spirit event should happen at the very least.
The problem I have with Warcraft is that I would not be able to pinpoint which of all the main characters would merit being the rep. Thrall makes a lot of sense, but then the likes of Illidan, Arthas, Sylvanas and Jaina are also stupidly popular.

Which is why my answer tends to be to just throw in a Murloc.

It is admittedly weird to see people bring up LoL, Team Fortress, Portal and all these other huge PC games while almost no one mentions WoW. I don't think people here realize how gigantic this game got, probably from the smash crowd being primarily console-players I guess?

Shroob

Sup?
The problem I have with Warcraft is that I would not be able to pinpoint which of all the main characters would merit being the rep. Thrall makes a lot of sense, but then the likes of Illidan, Arthas, Sylvanas and Jaina are also stupidly popular.

Which is why my answer tends to be to just throw in a Murloc.

It is admittedly weird to see people bring up LoL, Team Fortress, Portal and all these other huge PC games while almost no one mentions WoW. I don't think people here realize how gigantic this game got, probably from the smash crowd being primarily console-players I guess?
Honestly, this is the main reason I've been slightly opposed to the idea of an Overwatch rep.

If you're going to Blizzard for a Smash character, how can it be anything but World of Warcraft? WoW defined what an MMO is, and Warcraft 3 is the grandfather of the MOBA genre since that's where DOTA got its start. It's such an important piece of gaming history.

MarioDDR755

Smash Apprentice
There's also just that all the fighters in Smash are already primarily console-based, so to throw in a PC exclusive giant like WoW would be bold. I don't think a fighter will happen but I can see it getting the Mii costume treatment...

SKX31

Smash Master
LoL is mainly due to rumblings that Riot's expanding beyond the computer and into consoles (as well as Riot's owner hugging Nintendo like crazy ATM), and Valve's mainly been seen as a natural "fit" with Nintendo's style (despite Valve having no real connections with Nintendo, which is a shame).

I think it's partly due to Overwatch being more recent and more of an overt "presence" with average Nintendo fans (what with it getting a Switch port). Also, Blizzard's been pushing Overwatch a lot, especially with the global Overwatch League.

WoW by contrast has been a bit more in the background recently (outside of expansions) and Hearthstone's mostly its own thing. Hearthstone hasn't seen a console release either (which is kind of strange). WarCraft III Reforged was supposed to be a triumphant return to form... but that didn't pan out either.
Also, WarCraft not only is under the same house as Overwatch, StarCraft and Diablo - but also Crash, Spyro and even CoD.

Still though, I'd fully support a Warcraft representative. Hell, IIRC the first post I posted here was in the RTC thread when it rated Arthas, and Thrall ranks up there as well. One of WarCraft's greatest strengths lie with its characters and their abilities - sure, Blizzard doesn't handle them well consistently, but they're regularily memorable and have defining traits to them. IMHO Arthas would be an amazing character in Smash because he'd be the first Death Knight / Lich (King). And Thrall wouldn't just be the first Orc, but him being a shaman would grant him several relatively unique attacks: like summoning spectral wolves and possibly earthquakes / tremors.

Blizzard's one of the companies I personally grew up with, so I'm perfectly fine with them getting anything just as I perfectly fine with any of Activision's three main choices. I'm fine with Blizzard getting a Mii Costume too.

(Seriously, StarCraft has StarCraft 64, so they already filled that courtesy baybee! )

(And yes, I'm aware of ... certain events past year. Suffice to say, I don't condone them at all, neither did Blizzard's workers.)

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I personally don't really have any desire to see Warcraft represented in Smash, even if Warcraft is easily my favorite franchises not yet represented in Smash (WoW is by far my most played game since I started in 2006). I know a lot of people hate this kind of concern, but I just don't think it fits, the characters that really shine in Smash are ones with strong surface level personalities, and Warcraft's most prominent characters are appealing because of their stories above anything else, something that's difficult to represent in Smash. Furthermore, although Blizzard have allowed themselves to get silly with the universe through Hearthstone and HotS, the idea of Arthas getting smacked around by Kirby crosses so far into the absurd that it feels out of touch. Even seeing him doing a basic game mechanic such as double jumping doesn't sit quite right with me, it's all a bit too silly for my tastes. I wouldn't exactly hate if Warcraft got into Smash, after all I do love the franchise (or at least what it did in the past), but I don't think it's a natural crossover in the slightest.

With that said, if we did get a character from Warcraft, it'd absolutely be one of Arthas or Thrall. Arthas is by far the series' most popular character, while Thrall is probably a better general representative of the series as a whole. A Warsong Gulch stage could be pretty ace too.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Is Warcraft popular in Japan? I know its massive in China, but I've never heard of Warcraft having a strong Japanese fanbase.

SKX31

Smash Master
I personally don't really have any desire to see Warcraft represented in Smash, even if Warcraft is easily my favorite franchises not yet represented in Smash (WoW is by far my most played game since I started in 2006). I know a lot of people hate this kind of concern, but I just don't think it fits, the characters that really shine in Smash are ones with strong surface level personalities, and Warcraft's most prominent characters are appealing because of their stories above anything else, something that's difficult to represent in Smash. Furthermore, although Blizzard have allowed themselves to get silly with the universe through Hearthstone and HotS, the idea of Arthas getting smacked around by Kirby crosses so far into the absurd that it feels out of touch. Even seeing him doing a basic game mechanic such as double jumping doesn't sit quite right with me. I wouldn't exactly hate if Warcraft got into Smash, after all I do love the franchise (or at least what it did in the past), but I don't think it's a natural crossover in the slightest.

With that said, if we did get a character from Warcraft, it'd absolutely be one of Arthas or Thrall. Arthas is by far the series' most popular character, while Thrall is probably a better general representative of the series as a whole. A Warsong Gulch stage could be pretty ace too.
I can see where you're coming from, that said - :ultjoker: got in without him referencing the story much at all (and none of the critiques aimed at Japanese society that is present in P5). Yeah, Mementos is a stage... but people not familiar with Persona's not going to assume instantly that it's the collective subconcious of Tokyo's residents. It might as well be Tokyo's skyline on an acid trip to those not knowing.

The double jump issue, yeah, that's an issue. IIRC WoW does have midair magic and double jumping (exclusive to Demon Hunters, Illidian aka Mr. "You are not prepared!" - and his class) but Arthas could look silly - especially since he's armored all of the time like Black Knight.

*(Quick edit - ack this is difficult to word properly: And Joker's not interacting as much in Smash as in P5.)

Is Warcraft popular in Japan? I know its massive in China, but I've never heard of Warcraft having a strong Japanese fanbase.
Not to my knowledge, no. From what I know (Correct me if I'm wrong) the Blizzard property that's gotten closest is Overwatch - and that's relatively niche.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think my main concern with a WoW or Warcraft or Overwatch character is...how modern Blizzard acts.

I'm not referring to any of the (many) controversies specifically, but I am not sure if modern Blizzard is an easy dev to work with.

Sakurai is already hesitant about collaborating with western developers due to the language barrier. I'm unsure if Blizzard will be as accommodating as Microsoft would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom