• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Alright, I'm going nuts trying to figure out the middle part, so may as well just give it to you guys. Here's the video at 75% speed.
https://streamable.com/jnuavh
And yes, that click in the middle was in the original. I think maybe the person was like recording off a video playing on a screen/speaker and clicked something so the click got into the audio.
Edit: Actually, now I don't hear the click, maybe it was just a bug in AE then.
You can understand any of that at all? Way ahead of where I'm at with it then.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Alright, I'm going nuts trying to figure out the middle part, so may as well just give it to you guys. Here's the video at 75% speed.
And yes, that click in the middle was in the original. I think maybe the person was like recording off a video playing on a screen/speaker and clicked something so the click got into the audio.
The background hiss definitely cuts between the second and third line. If it's from a movie it's been stitched together. If it's just creepy vocal stuff it's bad mic quality and probably just some basic rerecording or cutting of silence.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It's actually pretty clear to me now, the audio in that video says "gullible". :079:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
View attachment 278313
The Smash community is harder to predict than the Fighters Pass sometimes.
Get something wrong as a leaker and you're a useless piece of trash who's just trying to manipulate everyone and probably spends their free time kicking puppies for fun while brainstorming new fake leaks. Get something right and every time you say anything at all, even if it has nothing to do with Smash, people think you're confirmed their most wanted

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
“Very very soon, it finally makes its audience when it opens its eyes.”

It only took me a couple REAL listens in NORMAL speed but it’s not a hint in any way. It’s just a random creepy quote saying it’s coming soon.

Y’all need to chill.

Last edited:

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I am not sure what the purpose of Smash Bros. Is anymore. I can’t decide if it’s about fighting with your favorite characters or speculating about which character is next online.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I am not sure what the purpose of Smash Bros. Is anymore. I can’t decide if it’s about fighting with your favorite characters or speculating about which character is next online.
Neither, it's just turning the game on and looking at the CSS.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Fighting over how your favorite character is the one that should be in and everything else would be like adding Hitler to the game.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Nostalgia Critic is the next DLC character. Linkara is his echo and Kickassia is his stage. Doug gets the Bat Credit Card and Linkara gets the Power Rangers rant as their final smashes respectively.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Nostalgia Critic is the next DLC character. Linkara is his echo and Kickassia is his stage. Doug gets the Bat Credit Card and Linkara gets the Power Rangers rant as their final smashes respectively.
Instead of clapping, this is Doug Walker's defeat animation:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I kind of just go on and play either Training mode or do a minimum rescue challenge in World of Light, then play the spirit board whenever new spirits are released.

I never play Online because I don't want to pay for Nintendo's garbage online service.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Being a Smash Bros. fan is doing anything except play the actual game. :4wario2:

These fun activities include:

-Complaining.
-Arguing.
-Complaining while arguing.
-Complain about people complaining.
-Argue about people complaining.
-Argue about people arguing about people complaining.
-Staring at the CSS to see which one of your favorites isn't on it for more inspiration for complaining.
-Nagging Sakurai.
-Thinking everything Sakurai says is a hint.
-Arguing about if anything Sakurai says is a hint.
-Reading fake leaks.
-Arguing about fake leaks.
-Complaining about leaks in general.
-Write a 3-page essay on why Fire Emblem is big stinky.
-Some more complaining.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Being a Smash Bros. fan is doing anything except play the actual game. :4wario2:

These fun activities include:

-Complaining.
-Arguing.
-Complaining while arguing.
-Complain about people complaining.
-Argue about people complaining.
-Argue about people arguing about people complaining.
-Staring at the CSS to see which one of your favorites isn't on it for more inspiration for complaining.
-Nagging Sakurai.
-Thinking everything Sakurai says is a hint.
-Arguing about if anything Sakurai says is a hint.
-Reading fake leaks.
-Arguing about fake leaks.
-Complaining about leaks in general.
-Write a 3-page essay on why Fire Emblem is big stinky.
-Some more complaining.
That about sums it up now, doesn't it?

SKX31

Smash Master
For me it's about grumbling about the online. Not just the online itself, but how Elite Smash is designed.

Seriously, when it's called Elite Smash it shouldn't be "Drop below the threshold once and you're out" because first game one is back in Solo Quickplay there's a non-zero chance one faces of against someone who is clearly a level or two below oneself. Thus risking a stomp where neither player gains much. If one's going to have a promotion / demotion system, please make it a "Win 2 out of 3 games" thing. Like Tekken has (and that series has bad online too).

I'd also like to bring up an interesting point. I know we've been discussing Sora recently, and tehponycorn has posted that great little essay breaking down all kinds of data regarding him (and we know he finally has a non-zero chance), so it made me wonder - Is Sora the next Sonic-level character in terms of Smash wants? The "impossible" pick in a traditional sense? Sure, nowadays we have all kinds of metrics for "impossible" and what it means, but something about Sora feels like that perfect storm of fan favorite, iconic, and completely unbelievable that creates a perfect Smash addition. Just something I've been thinking about.
That's not just subjective but also difficult to define preciesly. Still though, I could see multiple "impossible" picks and not just Sora:

* Master Chief, who's seen a major surge in percieved likelihood and has gotten a decently significant fanbase within Smash as a result.
* Crash, due to being a former rival of Mario's and seeing a somewhat similar trajectory as Sonic. Note, somewhat.

Those are the two I can think of alongside Sora of the top of my head (and cursory look at the newcomer index).

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Can't wait for all of the speculation YT channels to see who makes the first video about this first saying "Well I think it says this!" with a Poggers face as the thumbnail and a slightly blurry silhouette of Crash with a question mark in front of it like bruh I know what shapes are.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The voice.

It sounds like The Arbiter or the High Priests.

So. The truth is.

It’s.

Master Chef.

“Sir, finishing this food!”

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Looks like the honeymoon period is over for you, huh?

Welcome to Speculation Hell.

hereforever.png

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
For the record, I was not saying SnowClaws SnowClaws was saying they'd refuse Master Chief over the lore
I was more saying that the idea in itself of them giving DOA, and potentially Smash, the slip for canonical reasons is quite silly

I'm sorry if the wording made it seem otherwise

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Playing Smash Brothers? Pffft.

I only boot up Smash to use the CSS as a conversation piece when I have guests over.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Please do not make posts containing only an image. We wish to encourage users to participate in discussion rather than simply posting images/memes. The post has since been removed.
Fixed.jpg

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
We all know the real echo fighter for Nostalgia Critic would be Melvin Brother of the Joker.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Neither, it's just turning the game on and looking at the CSS.

I only boot up Smash to use the CSS as a conversation piece when I have guests over.
tbh if people wanted to only look at a selection of characters without playing as them, they'd be looking at the spirits collection instead. But since they aren't, maybe they do, in fact, want to actually play as these characters?

M@R!3

Smash Ace
Whoever gets revealed, whenever it may be, will probably set the tone for at least the next two or three reveals. That's pretty interesting.

My personal most-wanted is hands down Travis Touchdown. I've wanted him since Brawl, and he's both a fan-favorite, a Nintendo-focused character, and with a new game coming up a nice marketing/"shill" pick. I feel like if Travis doesn't get in this pass, it's over for him. That will sting, hard, but maybe the pieces will truly line up. Finally. Please.

I think we could also be seeing a big request pop up. Crash has been in and out of the game, but it's pretty safe to say he enjoys decent worldwide popularity, Nintendo has a strong relationship with Activision (which doesn't ALWAYS bode well - see Ubisoft - but certainly doesn't hurt if SNK is any indication), and would definitely make headlines. There are of course characters like Geno or Waluigi who enjoy "core" bases as well.

I think if I had to go with an under-the-radar but still very popular third-party, my pick would for sure be Kazuma Kiryu from Yakuza. I've talked about him before with my moveset post, and while I don't think he's likely, I know he'd make a huge splash while simultaneously being out-of-left-field.

I've had a good feeling about Dante recently. I know that's hardly scientific, but things like the DMC games coming to Switch plus just good old fashioned hunches have me wondering. Besides, last time I had a hunch we got Terry, so...

I'd also like to bring up an interesting point. I know we've been discussing Sora recently, and tehponycorn has posted that great little essay breaking down all kinds of data regarding him (and we know he finally has a non-zero chance), so it made me wonder - Is Sora the next Sonic-level character in terms of Smash wants? The "impossible" pick in a traditional sense? Sure, nowadays we have all kinds of metrics for "impossible" and what it means, but something about Sora feels like that perfect storm of fan favorite, iconic, and completely unbelievable that creates a perfect Smash addition. Just something I've been thinking about.
Sora does seem to be the new "impossible" pick at the moment. The only other options I can think of with similar barriers would be from Sony, but requests for those don't appear to have hit critical mass yet.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Not shocking, seeing as how Nintendo and Pepsi have such strong relations. The signs were clearly all there for his inclusion and yet we chose to feign ignorance anyway.

Don't believe me? Behold:

- Mario Pepsi:

View attachment 278309

- Pepsi Dots collectable Mario bottle cap figurines:

- Nintendo and Pepsi co-promotion with the DS and Pepsi Twist:

- The Pepsi Fire contest where you could win a Nintendo Switch:

I could list more but I'm sure that my point has already been made. Pepsiman's inclusion is inevitable, and a lot of us should feel ashamed for not realizing this sooner.
Honestly, I want a Pepsiman Mii Costume so I can create PepsiSans, Pepsihead, and Vault Pepsi, among others. Admit it, you want it too.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

"Isn't it so cool that Mario can fight Sonic, Cloud Strife, and Banjo & Kazooie in one game? It's the console wars come to life!"

The guest stares at you, obviously confused, and honestly asks, "Don't you have any other hobbies? You've been talking about this game for 20 minutes."

To which you respond, voice laced with the regret of countless summers lost to petty arguments on online forums, "Who needs hobbies when I have Smash Bros?"

From the sheer-faced cringe of your guest, you come to the bitter realization that there's more to life than a character selection stage, but it's far too late to change.

"Get out. I want to be left alone." You say. Your guest understands, and promptly leaves. You sink to your knees, and sob. Your phone buzzes in your pocket. It's a notification.

"HOTGIRLVIDEOS69 POSTED ON TWITTER?! WE MIGHT GET A DIRECT SOON? YES!"

Ė̵͖v̶͉̽̽é̷̩̈ṟ̵͎͋ÿ̵͉t̵̼̕h̷͍̐i̴̗̼̓̐n̴̮͑̾ͅg̶͙̔̔ ̴̟̾̾i̵͓̒́s̷͍͒ ̴̳̻̍f̸̧̑͠i̶͈̲̊n̴̔͜e̸̛͖͇͠.̶͈͛̉

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
"Isn't it so cool that Mario can fight Sonic, Cloud Strife, and Banjo & Kazooie in one game? It's the console wars come to life!"

The guest stares at you, obviously confused, and honestly asks, "Don't you have any other hobbies? You've been talking about this game for 20 minutes."

To which you respond, voice laced with the regret of countless summers lost to petty arguments on online forums, "Who needs hobbies when I have Smash Bros?"

From the sheer-faced cringe of your guest, you come to the bitter realization that there's more to life than a character selection stage, but it's far too late to change.

"Get out. I want to be left alone." You say. Your guest understands, and promptly leaves. You sink to your knees, and sob. Your phone buzzes in your pocket. It's a notification.

"HOTGIRLVIDEOS69 POSTED ON TWITTER?! WE MIGHT GET A DIRECT SOON? YES!"

Ė̵͖v̶͉̽̽é̷̩̈ṟ̵͎͋ÿ̵͉t̵̼̕h̷͍̐i̴̗̼̓̐n̴̮͑̾ͅg̶͙̔̔ ̴̟̾̾i̵͓̒́s̷͍͒ ̴̳̻̍f̸̧̑͠i̶͈̲̊n̴̔͜e̸̛͖͇͠.̶͈͛̉
I'm glad I made that stupid ass post so this one could exist.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
What if we kissed in the Character Select Screen and talked about HotGirlVideos69 all night long? :love:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
It's definitely not about fighting with your favorite characters online. The input buffer combined with lag is enough to make a man weep.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
͛̉

This is all I could envision after the first bit.

Dude in the front be like, "This is the 6th time today".

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
so uh

do switch system updates usually happen before announcements...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom