• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Since a direct is looking pretty darn likely, it also seems likely we might get FP7 revealed in said direct.

So, any guesses or predictions you guys want to throw out until the direct comes?
I still expect Reimu to come at some point, but I don't know if it's a gut theory or just confirmation bias. Touhou and it's fanworks are iconic in Japan, and all her major competitors have been relegated to Spirits, Assist Trophies, or Mii Costumes. While Min Min broke the first rule and put Shantae back on the table, I still think Reimu edges her out in that regard.
While it's true that Shantae is among the oldest indies, she never really got further than a cult classic until around the Half-Genie Hero Kickstarter and the release of Pirate's Curse, which was when a lot of indies started sprouting up on Kickstarter. Touhou, on the other hand, started even further back, and became popular before the sudden Western indie surge.
The only other competition Reimu really has at the moment is the Knight, but Hollow Knight's still young and hasn't gotten the same level of influence under it's belt yet. Personally, I think Touhou's the biggest indie not yet represented. Heck, it's even got a convention all to itself. If we're getting an indie, my money's on Reimu.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Those were different things, PP was leaked on reddit and you're alluding to a 4chan post that called Terry being after Banjo, but claimed that Hayabusa would be after him and described their trailers, Terry's re-using Ken and Incineroar's and Hayabusa's reusing the Belmont trailer.
No, that's not it either... I remember a guy on Youtube talking about PP, around the same time as these, but unrelated. I don't remember his name though.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Well Nintendo have a thing tomorrow I guess, no Smash though

A new WayForward franchise, huh? I hope it isn't drowned out by the Origami King controversy...

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

HMM

I'm debating if this mean anything about the Direct rumors, lol.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
given that natedrake cautioned people to temper expectations, I'm going to assume we're getting a steady stream of treehouse livestreams with scattered announcements in place of a straight-up direct

granted, that's not fantastic for smash's chances

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
The way that tweet is worded makes me think that this WayForward title is from an established franchise, possibly one of Nintendo's own, that WayForward hasn't worked on before.

My first instinct was "2D Metroid" but really it could be anything. Won't have to wait long to find out though.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
Roy is one of the most popular Fire Emblem characters in general.

He isn't divisive.
It's still baffling Corrin and Byleth had the most hate out of any FE character while Roy's reintroduction, his reveal video barely cracks any heavy amount of dislikes, even after the datamine.
Always hear people in some places say "Roy sucks in Melee" "NSider forums loathed Roy when he, G&W, and Ganondorf were leaked for Melee" "muh Binding Blade stats", yet he has a very favorable following every where else, even ranking high up in one of the first CYL polling for Heroes. :roll:

the meme doesn't lie
1594329145507.png

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
given that natedrake cautioned people to temper expectations, I'm going to assume we're getting a steady stream of treehouse livestreams with scattered announcements in place of a straight-up direct

They could just do what they did with Byleth and release a separate presentation if there's no actual direct, it's no biggy.

Gribbo

Smash Apprentice
A new WayForward franchise, huh? I hope it isn't drowned out by the Origami King controversy...
It says "a franchise new to Wayforward", which makes it sound more along the lines of something like Contra 4 or River City Girls rather than a new IP.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
The way that tweet is worded makes me think that this WayForward title is from an established franchise, possibly one of Nintendo's own, that WayForward hasn't worked on before.

My first instinct was "2D Metroid" but really it could be anything. Won't have to wait long to find out though.
This is how Wario Land comes back to life.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495

props to him assuring nobody overhypes rumors, even if credible or true.
Would still be funny to see another wave of "That's it? No Smash?" :^)

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
**** yeah finally the long-awaited sequel to napoleon on the gba

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If we're just getting a bunch of Treehouse streams and not a general Direct, then I think there's a decent chance Min Min was the extent of Smash's presence at E3.

Granted, I don't know how likely a bunch of random streams would be. I can't see them randomly dropping major titles all throughout July like they did with Origami King.

I still expect Reimu to come at some point, but I don't know if it's a gut theory or just confirmation bias. Touhou and it's fanworks are iconic in Japan, and all her major competitors have been relegated to Spirits, Assist Trophies, or Mii Costumes. While Min Min broke the first rule and put Shantae back on the table, I still think Reimu edges her out in that regard.
While it's true that Shantae is among the oldest indies, she never really got further than a cult classic until around the Half-Genie Hero Kickstarter and the release of Pirate's Curse, which was when a lot of indies started sprouting up on Kickstarter. Touhou, on the other hand, started even further back, and became popular before the sudden Western indie surge.
The only other competition Reimu really has at the moment is the Knight, but Hollow Knight's still young and hasn't gotten the same level of influence under it's belt yet. Personally, I think Touhou's the biggest indie not yet represented. Heck, it's even got a convention all to itself. If we're getting an indie, my money's on Reimu.
Personally, I don't think Reimu is very likely to become anything more than a Mii costume or Spirit. She's popular in Japan, but no so much overseas.

If they decided to add an indie, I think they'd aim for someone most of the world could recognize. Most of the indies they've represented so far fit that bill (Shovel Knight, Shantae, Undertale, Cuphead, etc.)

I.D.

Smash Lord

That's not exactly what he posted

drake no games.jpg

If anything, Treehouse reappearing after so long only makes it more believable in my eyes.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Since a direct is looking pretty darn likely, it also seems likely we might get FP7 revealed in said direct.

So, any guesses or predictions you guys want to throw out until the direct comes?
Assuming FP7 was meant to be revealed at E3, I'm guessing it will be a big character or a popular demand in the community. While the recent rumours from PapaGenos seem to be very vague as some people have pointed out, I do think Geno could be FP7. Besides him, well, I'm feeling Crash Bandicoot.

Whoever it is, I just want to know who's next.

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898

Yo a Nintendo x wayforward colab is a big thing for them gives them a push in recognizability & shows Nintendo they know who they are.

And maybe just maybe for the NEXT smash installment in the future, Shantae for smash?

Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BigUglyMan-Doll
How do you pronounce Touhou? Toe hoe? Too hoo? Tao how?
I can't remember if I've ever heard it pronounced before and I'm curious.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
Probably the artwork, though that might be slightly cursed.
Seriously what are her FE Awakening-level feet.
View attachment 277723
she has very lovely thighs and design at least. hahaha

Man, once more modding tools for Ultimate exist, a PM/P+ equivalent on switch would be nuts. Imagine the 'fighter-like' AT's getting modded into fully fledged fighters. Hell, you wouldn't even need to do that much custom animation work. Black Knight could probably be done almost entirely with Ike, Ganon, and his own AT's animation.
Lets hope that actually happens, because i wasn't a big fan of 4's low-effort PM-likes like 4xM and scams like "Reloaded" or "Sm4sh+"
and, AFAIK, PM Knuckles being one of the only known quality backports for Smash WiiU....

I'm still pretty damn pissed nobody took a crack at Smash 3DS modding, it's litearlly Brawl On-To-Go, especially how the game was protoyped.

D

Deleted member

Reading the recent stuff being said about Origami King and seeing people already doubting if the game will be good is a big oof. I wasn't really wanting the game as much as Deadly Premonition 2 (in fact this game is getting mixed reviews even by people who liked the original so now I'm really anticipating to play this game), but this sure makes me want to see what more people will have to say before I decide to buy it.

While I don't think there's a pattern in how Nintendo chooses the Smash DLC, it's interesting to think how the second pass might have similarities to the first one.

If we say Min Min is the "Byleth" of this pass (by debuting in a successful Switch title), who might be Terry and Joker's counterparts? Characters who we don't really talk about but come from a relatively small, yet influential franchise (and may be very recent or very old)?
In regards to Terry, Billy and Jimmy from Double Dragon. It's 1 of, if not, the most influential game of the Beat Em Up genre and holds a lot of nostalgic value for a great amount of people dating back to the NES era. I can also throw in a Dynasty Warriors rep in here too cause the lack of discussions around the Musou genre is almost on par with the lack of discussions around SNK pre-NoE leak.

Joker is a character from a fairly recent game who threw people out on a loop when he was revealed, so I guess Ryza from Atelier would probably fit the bill. She's very recent, doesn't have much buzz around speculation currently, and has a game that a great amount of people adore despite its niche status (though that isn't to say Persona 5 was niche it's just Atelier that is). I got no one else to mention cause I imagine there were less people talking about Joker prior to his reveal than the likes of 2B or Hollow Knight are for Vol 2 right now.

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898

I think we could see another first party character for 7

just sayin

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm still pretty damn pissed nobody took a crack at Smash 3DS modding, it's litearlly Brawl On-To-Go, especially how the game was protoyped.
Eh it has some interesting stuff looking through gamebanana and all.

Smash Ultimate modding seems to be a tad slow these day's though, do we still not have any stage imports for the game?

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
point of note from kelios on resetera, actually: the treehouse is Nintendo of America only and hasn't been retweeted by NOJ or NOE (just like the nintendo vs series from pre-min min)

so this runs independently to any direct plans

Last edited:

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
point of note from kelios on resetera, actually: the treehouse is Nintendo of America only and hasn't been retweeted by NOJ or NOE (just like the nintendo vs series from pre-min min)

Doesn’t mean they can’t show the trailer for the wf project in japan

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

I don't know why anyone would think otherwise; it's a game releasing imminently and something from an indie dev. Not really Direct material.

I.D.

Smash Lord
How do you pronounce Touhou? Toe hoe? Too hoo? Tao how?
I can't remember if I've ever heard it pronounced before and I'm curious.
None of those actually:

You can hear it at 0:15 (this game is available on Swith btw).

In Japanese there exist long vowel sounds which are simply the vowel sound being extended for longer than usual. For a, i and u vowels it's simply denoted by repeating it (aa, ii, uu), however for e vowels the i is used instead (ei) and for o vowels it's the u (ou). So both 'ou' sounds in Touhou are just 'oh' sounds slightly lengthened.

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace

If anything then this might be digital only game similar to Cadence of Hyrule if that is the case.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
The wording of the tweet make me think that WayForward is working on a already existing franchises, but not one of them. So I guess they're working on a Nintendo ip? I saw people thinking it might be Metroid 5, but I think that Mercury steam is probably doing that one. Maybe something smaller like a Wario land?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
It says "a franchise new to developer WayForward" which makes it sound like an old franchise that WayForward is making a game for for the first time. Kinda like they did with River City Girls.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
The wording of the tweet make me think that WayForward is working on a already existing franchises, but not one of them. So I guess they're working on a Nintendo ip? I saw people thinking it might be Metroid 5, but I think that Mercury steam is probably doing that one. Maybe something smaller like a Wario land?
That seems to be what the consensus is, if it was say Shantae you would think they would have just announced yesterday during the Limited Run stream and the fact its happening during a Nintendo Treehouse stream and the wording does implied its a franchise Wayforward never worked on before, so its very likely its a Nintendo IP that Wayforward is working, now the question is which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom