• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
I’ve made an observation.
Mario’s up smash makes the exact same noise as Joker’s side special.
Sakurai was letting us know Joker was coming all along

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
There's been 1 consistent thing about every DLC character within the Fighter Passes, and it's the use of a cinematic Final Smash. Whether if it's to make the DLC Fighters have more pizazz to them or it's less difficult to develop than most other Final Smashes, it's pretty much the only pattern within DLC speculation so far that has remained unchanged (unless you want to include Piranha Plant).

People be like Well All Patterns Are Meant To Be Broken, but that isn't going to be the point right now. What sort of cinematic Final Smash would you want/expect to see from a character if they were to be included to Smash?
a few examples
Sol would DEMAND an Instakill cinematic from Xrd
Dante should have an insane beatdown with all of his crazy moves ending off with the iconic Jackpot
MIriam could abuse Standstill and her strongest Shard abilities
Shanoa NEEDS Dominus Union
Alucard could have his Gargoyle easter egg expanded to a beatdown

zriL

Smash Journeyman
If they're copying assets from other fighters. wouldn't they not edit the code the original fighter has, and just edit the new fighter's?
In development, copy-pasting stuff is bad practice. If both fighters have the same feature, they will use the same common code. That makes it easier to maintain and reduce the amount of code, but that's also how many bugs happen.

source : am a developper

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
so here's my take on the glitch thing:

Yes, Min Min was based on CF, but I've noticed one of her kicks kinda looks like one of Bayonetta's kicks. If Banjo indeed used Ridley as his base, there's still no denying he borrowed something from Duck Hunt.

basically i think the glitches don't foreshadow who an upcoming character is based on but rather what they're borrowing, a minor thing

and this is how the Ness glitch still spells Neku while Neku uses Cloud as a base...
SSBWiki lists these attacks in particular for :ultminmin:

* Down tilt is similar to :ultjoker:'s. While Joker can extend combos for longer, Min Min can still confirm down tilt into Up tilt or Up Smash at low %.
* Dash Attack has some similarities to :ultwolf:'s. Wolf has a reliable down throw into Dash attack confirm at low %, which Min Min kinda lacks.
* Down Smash really looks like :ultsonic:'s. Fills the same purpose too for both characters as a quick "get off me!" or edgeguard option.
* Up Air is similar to :ultmario:'s - Min Min's is slower and thus she lacks the ability to continue stringing Up Airs. There would probably be a lot of complaints if Min Min also could string Up Airs for around 40 %.
* Down Air, a stall-and-fall, is similar to :ultsheik:'s (it doesn't bounce off on hit like Greninja's / the Belmonts' and is diagonal).
* Min Min's forward throw looks like :ultzss:'s and back throw is reminiscient of :ultincineroar:'s (makes sense, being her killthrow).

I could see some similarities to Bayo (Min Min's Up Smash animation is really reminiscient of Witch Time's flip animation), but Min Min's general pose and walk animation kinda looks like Falcon's. And the general idea of ARMS attacks combine :ultmegaman:'s mechanics with other element - Ramram works kinda similarily to :ultkrool:'s crown if one is very generous with the comparision (The Crown and Ramram have very different arcs for example).

In this case, looks like there were a lot of sources they borrowed from to create her.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm skeptical of Smash news in such a short span of time since the last bit of news, but I would totally be excited to find out who Challenger Pack 7 is going to be.

Considering the Min Min presentation was filmed in early May, it's now 2 months after that recording. It's possible that they've recorded another session since then in a similar fashion. We probably wouldn't get another "Sakurai Presents video" until the fighter releases though, so it'd probably just be a trailer for the character like Hero, Banjo, and Byleth. (Joker and Terry were a little different).

If a pick gets revealed this month, I'm thinking it's still a few months out from release and would be out by like September or October. That would still leave room for the last character of 2020 to be released in December, or be pushed to early 2021 (thereby making CP7 the last character of 2020 and CP8 the first character of 2021, lol).

It could go a variety of ways depending on the identity of the pick, but they could always reveal a 3rd party to mix things up between 1st parties. Still very early to tell what's coming our way for sure.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Today, I finished playing through Super Fancy Pants Adventure, and I can say for sure that Fancy Pants Man would be pretty damn neat to see in Smash. I have fond memories of the flash games, and after getting around to playing this game, he basically has almost all the tools for a Smash moveset.

Bare in mind, there's going to be 18 images on this post, so all the images are covered with the spoiler tab so that the post doesn't look bigger than it needs to be. I don't know how well it'd do for mobile users though.

Fancy Pants Man Pulls Up!

In case you didn't know, Fancy Pants Man is a stick figure in big orange pants. He comes from a series of Flash games known as The Fancy Pants Adventure created by Brad Borne. These games were known for its platforming and running mechanics. Unfortunately, Flash will no longer be supported on browsers by the end of 2020, so if you want to get around to playing them, now's the chance to do so. Although we aren't going to be looking too much into the flash games, we will be taking a look at Super Fancy Pants Adventure and use it as a reference to a potential moveset for Smash.

Here's an image of his idle, crouch, and jump (though there ins't a double jump)

Attacks, Tilts, and Smashes:

Fancy Pants Man wields a pen in Super Fancy Pants Adventures. In game, Fancy Pants Man can combo enemies nonstop. It only knocks enemies back once they die, so in the context of Smash, the 4th strike would do knockback.

This is his up tilt. It reaches pretty high that's for sure.

I don't have too much on the other tilt attacks since SFPA doesn't really provide a Down tilt nor an F tilt, but in FPA 3, he does thrust his pencil like a rapier, so that would most likely be his F Tilt.

This is the normal charge attack from SFPA. It's a forward-downwards attack that's able to knock enemies back and can be used in combo attacks. The attack even goes so far as to reach the floor, and although there isn't really a move to take from the game for a Down Smash, the image to the right would be ideal for 1.

This is the charge attack when you aim upwards. It works similarly to the regular charge attack, but it goes up. It slightly has less reach than the up tilt however.

Although there isn't a Dash Attack that involves the pen, Fancy Pants Man has the ability to roll and is able to knock enemies back with it. If there any idea for a Dash Attack, his roll could do the job.

Specials:

Ink Shot works like many projectiles before it, but you have the ability to aim upwards or downwards by the shot. In game, it's able to shoot fast, go through walls, and hitstun enemies. However, your shots will deplete your ink meter, as shown by this image:

It can deplete pretty fast, and the less ink he has, the slower he shoots.

Ink Dash is a very swift and nearly instant slash that attacks multiple opponents at once, and it can extend farther depending on how many fighters/things you hit. However, it can take almost half of your ink meter when you use it, as shown by this image:

Inkboarding is rather interesting because it does not use the ink meter but does require a specific platform to use it on. While there won't be a platform for Fancy Pants to do Inkboarding on, it would be a pretty useful Up Special to glide him up. Maybe it could even leave the pen marks on the stage if they wanted to develop it that way.

Sliding is a key feature in the Fancy Pants games. Although you probably wouldn't be able to perform a slide while in air, it is ideal to use it on stages with slopes or while running to knock people off the floor. There is also a move connected to sliding known as the Rising Attack. If they were to incorporate this move into Smash, the idea would be to perform another Down Special while sliding to hit this move, and it can only be done while on the floor.:

Aerials:

The neutral aerial is what the charged down aerial is in SFPA. The reason why this is is because the move is a round attack.

Forward Aerial and Up Aerial are more or less the same as their neutral attack counterparts but in air. That's pretty much all I had to say about that.

Down Aerial plays very similarly to regular Link's, but this 1 has a lot more endlag on it and, ideally, should do more damage than Link's.

There is 1 aerial move in the game called Sawblade. It's a charged attack that spins Fancy Pants Man around and can bounce off of enemies and objects. It can only be cancelled by either getting hit or landing on the floor. If this move were to be in Smash, maybe it could be used for his Down Special while in mid air since sliding would only be used on the floor.

Misc:

-In game, the Ink Meter can be replenished by small black sprouts of liquid on the floor and by attacking certain enemies. To replenish the ink meter in Smash, it should be by hitting fighters without ink based moves.

-My idea for Fancy Pants Man's battle entrance would be a pencil drawing a door with him coming out of it, and the door is then erased behind him. 1 Victory Screen would have him exiting the area with the door.

-I don't have a Final Smash wrapped up for Fancy Pants Man that could be ripped from the game, but if I could think of 1, it could probably be a cinematic FS involving the creator of Fancy Pants drawing you out of the picture with a giant pencil like he did with World 3 in the Fancy Pants Adventure Remix.

-There are some potential alts that could be used for Fancy Pants Man. Not only can you change the color of your pants, but you can wear hats too. Here's Fancy pants Man and the 15 different looks I made off of the collectibles I got currently:

That's pretty much the jist of this moveset. I may have missed a few things here and there, but I wanted to post this for the fun of it after beating Super Fancy Pants Adventure. I should probably get around to making a support thread for Fancy Pants Man and share my thoughts on the game soon, but for now, I'm definitely supporting Fancy Pants Man all the way.
I haven't played these games, but I would love a flash game rep. I was practically born and raised on those things, and it'll be a sad day when they're gone.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
If a something were to happen this month, its easy enough to imagine the typical presentation schedule essentially being moved a month forward. Thus the summer Direct in July instead of June and the Fall Direct in October as opposed to September. Get fighter 8 released in late 2020, and that's a good three months before a hypothetical March 2021 presentation with fighter 9 shown off.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
There's been 1 consistent thing about every DLC character within the Fighter Passes, and it's the use of a cinematic Final Smash. Whether if it's to make the DLC Fighters have more pizazz to them or it's less difficult to develop than most other Final Smashes, it's pretty much the only pattern within DLC speculation so far that has remained unchanged (unless you want to include Piranha Plant).

People be like Well All Patterns Are Meant To Be Broken, but that isn't going to be the point right now. What sort of cinematic Final Smash would you want/expect to see from a character if they were to be included to Smash?
Karate Joe, Rhythm Girl, Chorus Kids, Reporter, Tibby or whomever the RH rep is, calls in the rest of the RH crew to help beat down the opponent

Steve throws the opponent in an End portal, only for them to be blasted then rammed into by the Ender Dragon

Elma hops into her Verus Skell and beats down on the opponent

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
Okay, so they did actually do the one thing I cited they could do to work around existing Spirits which is to add another Fighter Spirit, but that does imply they need three renders - the regular Spirit render, the Ultimate one and one other Fighter Spirit render. Granted, characters like Wii Fit have no existing renders from their series (at least that I know of) so they only use their Ultimate render, but it does put characters with only one existing render like Geno in a slightly less advantageous position.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
but it does put characters with only one existing render like Geno in a slightly less advantageous position.
I don't know, seems pretty easy to me.

Untitled.png
1593799102959.png

You can always go the :ultpokemontrainer::ultcloud: route as well.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Yeah, they can use sprites too if they need to.
Remember the whole thing about the Masked Man actually just being a DeviantArt rip instead of the source material when it first came out?

I.D.

Smash Lord
Assuming that Min Min was originally planned to be revealed and/or released in E3 (fair assumption considering Sakurai said development has been going smoothly) that means she was delayed a mere couple of weeks. It doesn't seem that unrealistic to think a reveal (not release) could happen this month.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Assuming that Min Min was originally planned to be revealed and/or released in E3 (fair assumption considering Sakurai said development has been going smoothly) that means she was delayed a mere couple of weeks. It doesn't seem that unrealistic to think a reveal (not release) could happen this month.
As someone already mentioned too we could get an double reveal that was meant for E3 last month given implication that Min Min was delayed.

In that case if true hoping one of them is Crash.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
To be quite honest, I'm expecting us only getting two characters this year. I think development on them has definitely slowed, as evident by the fact it's taking us two years to get six when it only took one to get 5.

The rate of characters we get also depends heavily on many factors and how things play out in the industry right now regarding the pandemic. A lot of things are evidently in flux at Nintendo right now (honestly, I think they're a bit more messed up internally than they're really admitting), so it's hard to say what their content pipeline looks like when they're keeping everything so incredibly locked down from the public right now. Hopefully the silence will be broken soon, but given their current stance on things and their recent behavior, I have really, really big doubts we're going to see Nintendo open up to us anytime soon. I have a feeling PM and Mario remasters might be all they have left for the year outside of content updates for Animal Crossing, Smash, and Pokemon.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
A lot of the work on Min Min was probably completed before the pandemic, and if Sakurai's comments about development proceeding smoothly are true, then I don't think Smash's schedule was effected much. Min Min might've been all they had planned for E3. They might have had one more teaser in the general Direct, but I doubt that character would've been released before fall.

A teaser/reveal this month is possible, but I wouldn't count on the character being released any time soon. Might have to wait until October even.

Last edited:

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
He said that we are getting a direct in July but Nintendo has no plans to show any directs in this year. It could be something else instead.
He is the same guy who leaked the March 26th direct in February. And he has sources.
That's the PokeKalos guy ain't it? He's worth looking at tbh.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
a few examples
Sol would DEMAND an Instakill cinematic from Xrd
I mean Sakurai should copypaste this into Smash, just like they did with Joker's all out attack. No changes needed. In fact, instead of getting a "GAME!" they should use "DESTROYED" like in the video, if Sol wins using his final smash. Then do the transition to the victory screen with the final pose that he makes with his instant kill

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
A teaser/reveal this month is possible, but I wouldn't count on the character being released any time soon. Might have to wait until October even.
Saves us from another six months of terrifying and draining speculation about which Guess-Who? Pokemon it's gonna be.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I mean Sakurai should copypaste this into Smash, just like they did with Joker's all out attack. No changes needed. In fact, instead of getting a "GAME!" they should use "DESTROYED" like in the video, if Sol wins using his final smash. Then do the transition to the victory screen with the final pose that he makes with his instant kill

In the same vein, if Ragna (or any Blazblue character) got in, we all know what their Final Smash would have to be.

steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net.jpg

Complete with a guest appearance by the Blazblue announcer.

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
Remember the whole thing about the Masked Man actually just being a DeviantArt rip instead of the source material when it first came out?
I do, but like, wasn't there literally no difference between the two?

Sysreq

Smash Ace
To be quite honest, I'm expecting us only getting two characters this year. I think development on them has definitely slowed, as evident by the fact it's taking us two years to get six when it only took one to get 5.
I also wouldn't be surprised if we only got 2 characters this year, then the 3rd character around Jan/Feb a la Piranha Plant, followed by the rest of the characters every 4 months-ish.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Wait what's this about a July Direct?
It's a mix of rumours from sources that might be credible, wishful thinking, and the fact that we know nothing about Nintendo's upcoming line-up beyond the Paper Mario game that's coming out in two weeks.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm down for a new direct. Would certainly lift people's spirits a little bit from recent events.

I'm hopeful that this is legit, because I'm dying to know that BoTW2/NMH3 release date.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'm down for a new direct. Would certainly lift people's spirits a little bit from recent events.

I'm hopeful that this is legit, because I'm dying to know that BoTW2/NMH3 release date.
I just want another Kirby game. Ever since Triple Deluxe, we've had a comfortable cycle of alternating mainline/spinoff titles every year, and I don't want that cycle to be broken. Besides, we only got two updated ports this year, and HAL was hiring for a new Kirby game around that same time. There's gotta be something big on the horizon.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

i just want mario kart 9 please for christ's sake i have been playing the same mario kart for 6 years now

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I just want to see whether or not they're gonna do any content updates on Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition. Just some challenges and new outfits would be nice.

And more info on Breath of the Wild 2. That game seems to be going the way of the original in terms of time passed between announcement and actual significant new information revealed.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
As far as unannounced/unconfirmed titles. I want Metroid Prime Trilogy, Xenoblade Chronicles X, as well as a brand new Metroid 5...perhaps Sinnoh remakes as well but seeing how disappointing Swsh was idunno how excited I am for those until I see them.

And more info on BotW2 and Prime 4 would be nice but I don't think we'll see either this year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom