• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
What's everyone's opinion on Valve representation? Even as a Mii costume or Spirit or even a full fighter. Whatever you think works.

Gordon Freeman or Scout/Heavy could suffice for any of those roles. Unsure about Portal, though it would make for a good Gunner costume.
I don't know too much about TF2 or Half-Life, but I think they'd be pretty cool. I actually had a vague idea about a :ultpokemontrainer:-esque team of Scout/Heavy Soldier, though I'm not sure that's what we'd actually get.
Something I find interesting is that Half-Life is quite an influential series, but doesn't get much attention in the Smash community, and I think what little discussion it does get stems from that one fake leak. TF2, on the other hand, soaks up all the Smash discussion in terms of Valve reps. Strange, isn't it?

SKX31

Smash Master
Hang on hang on, it's really legit a thing! @Cutie Gwen
thought i was the only one noticing this tbh. good lord
As a Ridley player, I'm rolling my eyes.

This has been a thing since launch. It only works at 0 and only works if the opponent literally does nothing or a neutral air dodge.

DI at all, or air dodging in anything direction ruins the "combo."
That change was probably to stop the doubles griefing (The K. Rool down throw bury -> Skewer -> Rool grabs and down throws again -> Skewer again -> Rinse, repeat). This caused people to get mistakenly banned online.

Still though, many other Ridley players called foul on that change since it changed one of the few ways Skewer could land against a competitive opponent (and Skewer's endlag is big enough for people to hard punish when the new interaction lands as the link shows), even if it required a hard read itself.

IMHO, they should've modified Skewer to cause the new interaction at the 2nd use within 5 / 10 seconds to prevent griefing while keeping the old down throw - Skewer read, I get why Nintendo did this, but they could've handled it a bit better.

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
Just heard that Capcom and Netherrealm studios pulled their games from EVO after the organizer was hit with a wave of allegations.

Maaaaaaaaaan what a mess this couple of weeks have been.

Anyway, try to stay on topic. My favourite Konami rep would be Bill and Lance from Contra

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Frogger's definitely my go-to Konami rep, though I'd also be cool with Bill/Lance from Contra.

Also, Bonk. We need to finish the quadrilogy of 4th generation consoles. We're got the SNES, Genesis, and Neo Geo. Now all we need is the TurboGrafx-16

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Sadly my most wanted Konami character is an Assist Trophy. I guess Frogger would be cool, but I'd be lying if I said I cared about other Konami reps the same way I care about Bomberman.
I'm the same way, "Bomberman" would be my choice and makes me wonder if his chances would have been different if "Hudson Soft" was still around and didn't get absorbed into Konami and seems like one of those last 80's Arcade/NES icons that should have been fighter alongside Mario, Donkey Kong, Pac-Man and etc.

"Frogger" is a another solid choice ,But other than his Arcade game, I don't know how much he has to work with, Though I never really played a "Metal Gear Solid" game, I always thought "Snake" was a really cool video game character, That's all I got for Konami as I don't have very much history with them or interest other than the 3 video game characters that I just mentioned.

Last edited:

Flik

Smash Journeyman
My number 1 Konami game is Suikoden, but I don't know how much of a moveset can be made for any of the protagonists, the ones I know at least - Tir, Riou, Hugo, Chris and Geddoe. The only thing I REALLY want is a Mii (Swordfighter) costume of my favorite character.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
We're talking Konami reps now?
Bill Razer and Lance Bean would be my new series choice. Contra's an NES icon, and it's shocking that they aren't discussed more often. If we want both Nintendo-related characters and influential, iconic series, these guys are a shoe-in.
If already-represented Konami games are fair game, then give me Raiden. As much as I want Alucard, we already got out Castlevania representation, and we have very little MGRR representation, not even a song. In fact, Raiden's Spirit is the only part of the game even mentioned! Besides, Snake was the first-ever third-party rep. What better way to cap it off than with more Metal Gear?

SKX31

Smash Master
Just heard that Capcom and Netherrealm studios pulled their games from EVO after the organizer was hit with a wave of allegations.

Maaaaaaaaaan what a mess this couple of weeks have been.

Anyway, try to stay on topic. My favourite Konami rep would be Bill and Lance from Contra
Well, there goes any EVO Online hopes I had. The competitive communities need a hard reset.

Bill and Lance could be interesting - that said, a follow up question would be how much to include from the original Contra, and how much to include from its follow ups. Not just III (the Alien Wars) but even more modern stuff like Contra: Return (why wasn't it released globally when it did really well?). Considering the Contra franchise's been having a rocky experience post-SNES.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well, there goes any EVO Online hopes I had. The competitive communities need a hard reset.

Bill and Lance could be interesting - that said, a follow up question would be how much to include from the original Contra, and how much to include from its follow ups. Not just III (the Alien Wars) but even more modern stuff like Contra: Return (why wasn't it released globally when it did really well?). Considering the Contra franchise's been having a rocky experience post-SNES.
Contra would probably have music from modern games, maybe even Spirits, but character and stage stuff would probably be limited to the NES trilogy, and maybe later games like Hard Corps, Contra Force and Contra 4 if they need it.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
THE TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME HAS COME TO AN END!
YEAAAAAAAAAAH THIS IS WHAT NATURE PLANNED!

Being tracked by a starving beast
looking for its daily feast;
the predator on the verge of death
close to its last breath...

Getting close to its last breaaaaath!

RULES OF NATURE!

And they run when the sun comes up
with their lives on the line
(ALIVE!) For a whiiiiile
(NO CHOICE!) gotta follow the laws of the wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiild!
(ALIVE!) With there lives on the line
(NO CHOICE!) out here only the strong survive!

What's done is done, survive to see another day;
the dance of life, the hunter and the agile prey
no guaruntee which of them will succeed,
strong or weaaaaak!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

RULES OF NATURE!

1593742321436.png

On a serious note, I think MGR music could have a fun gimmick. Like how the og Street Fighter music changes on the last stock, MGR music could add in the vocals on the last stock, like how in Revengence they only kick in in the later phases of boss fights or when you're doing well.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

RULES OF NATURE!

(ALIVE!) For a whiiiiile

strong or weaaaaak!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

RULES OF NATURE!

On a serious note, I think MGR music could have a fun gimmick. Like how the og Street Fighter music changes on the last stock, MGR music could add in the vocals on the last stock, like how in Revengence they only kick in in the later phases of boss fights or when you're doing well.
I'm a simple enby.
Give me all of the MGR boss themes and then I'm only playing on Shadow Moses.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Bill Razer and Lance Bean would be my new series choice. Contra's an NES icon, and it's shocking that they aren't discussed more often. If we want both Nintendo-related characters and influential, iconic series, these guys are a shoe-in.
As much as I would want Contra in Smash, I think the reason that they're not that talked is because the franchise is super dead (even more than Mega man at Smash 4 era). Konami tried to put the franchise back in the spotlight last year but it failed miserably. Contra would be super cool but at this point I see Hayabusa way more likely as a last NES era character.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

RULES OF NATURE!

(ALIVE!) For a whiiiiile

strong or weaaaaak!

RULES OF NATURE!

YES YES YES
I actually had the idea for the lyrics kicking in too, though I never got the chance to say it. I would love to see MGRR content in Smash. Is there a Raiden support thread or something around here?

DuskFleur

Smash Apprentice

RULES OF NATURE!

(ALIVE!) For a whiiiiile

strong or weaaaaak!

RULES OF NATURE!

Oh my God, yes please! Even if it’s just the music I’d be so happy and excited for it! Revengance is so underrated!
Oh, maybe we can have Spirit Battles for each boss too? The music’s lyrics can kick in when either you or the boss is at high damage, like in the Street Fighter battles. That’d be so cool.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Smash community.jpg

All the recent news has me feeling depressed and disappointed, so I'm gonna talk here to take my mind off it. Please stay safe out there, everyone.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Only Konami franchise I want added in Smash with a playable character is Contra. there'd ideally be some Contra Hard Corps music too.
Not my only wanted Konami franchise(also want Mystical Ninja and Bomberman), but definitely my most.

I talk about them ALL THE TIME!!

1593742705545.png

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Let's do a little thought experiment, shall we?
IMG_20200630_164329.png

Let's pretend as though that Vol. 2 will be the end of the line for brand new content. WOL slots be damned, we will only get five more stages along with each fighter. Those five stages will go on the bottom row, and provided that the custom stage logo has to be there, there is only room for five more stages.

I mentioned how this is it for new content, but due to the wild success of Vol. 2, Sakurai decides to bring back five old stages that failed to make the cut in the base game as a way of thanking the fans for their support.

If you wanted to bring back five more classic stages, which ones would you choose?

My list would look like this.
1.) Poke Floats
2.) Pac-Maze
3.) Rainbow Road
4.) Miiverse (reintergrated, of course)
5.) Woolly World

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
View attachment 277093
Let's pretend as though that Vol. 2 will be the end of the line for brand new content. WOL slots be damned, we will only get five more stages along with each fighter. Those five stages will go on the bottom row, and provided that the custom stage logo has to be there, there is only room for five more stages.

I mentioned how this is it for new content, but due to the wild success of Vol. 2, Sakurai decides to bring back five old stages that failed to make the cut in the base game as a way of thanking the fans for their support.

If you wanted to bring back five more classic stages, which ones would you choose?

1.) Poke Floats
2.) Pac-Maze
3.) Rainbow Road
5.) Woolly World
That’s quite a good list to bring back. Only one I’d argue is Miiverse because I don’t know that they’d reintegrate it and it’s also just a Battlefield clone. So replace that with Planet Zebes, Pyrosphere (without Ridley), or Mute City from Melee perhaps. Maybe even Jungle Hijinx.

Alternatively, remove 75m and replace with one of the four I mentioned above. And if we wanna get real crazy, throw in PictoChat 1’s drawings on the PictoChat 2 stage and rename it PictoChat X ala Flat Zone X.

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
1. Pac-Maze
2. Rainbow Road
3. Melee Mute City
4. Melee Mushroom Kingdom
5. Woolly World
Melee Mushroom Kingdom is super underrated. It was a fantastic stage to play on when you were doing free for alls with items on. I always preferred that one to the N64 Mushroom Kingdom.
Shame that it'll likely be passed over due to its similarities.
Same thing with Melee Mute City, but I always enjoyed how colorful that stage was.
That’s quite a good list to bring back. Only one I’d argue is Miiverse because I don’t know that they’d reintegrate it and it’s also just a Battlefield clone. So replace that with Planet Zebes, Pyrosphere (without Ridley), or Mute City from Melee perhaps. Maybe even Jungle Hijinx.

Alternatively, remove 75m and replace with one of the four I mentioned above. And if we wanna get real crazy, throw in PictoChat 1’s drawings on the PictoChat 2 stage and rename it PictoChat X ala Flat Zone X.
I think you could get away with having both Ultimate Ridley and Other M Ridley sharing the same screen since they look so different, though even if they had to exclude the boss, the layout of Pyrosphere is still really distinctive, imo.
It is a shame they left out all of Pictochat 1. Loved that stage back in Brawl.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
View attachment 277093

1.) Poke Floats
2.) Pac-Maze
3.) Rainbow Road
5.) Woolly World
For me (not limited to 5)…
1. Pac-Maze
2. Poké-Floats
3. Wooly World
4. :rumblefalls:
5. Rainbow Road
6. Mute City (Melee)

SKX31

Smash Master
I hope no one was expecting anything at EVO

I hoped before this all came to light. But it's a good thing that Capcom, Netherrealm, Bamco and Mane6 (Them's Fightin' Herds) as well as SonicFox pulled out of EVO and helped lead to EVO Online's cancellation and the perpetrating CEO being fired. I'm not going to talk about this much for obvious reasons, but the competitive scenes need hard resets and stricter rules (minors not allowed at tournaments without a guardian etc.) because the perpetrators did this for too long. Especially when hush money was involved in a certain case.

View attachment 277093

1.) Poke Floats
2.) Pac-Maze
3.) Rainbow Road
5.) Woolly World
Poke Floats
Pac-Maze
Melee Final Destination
Melee Mute City
Sector Z (64)

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
View attachment 277093

1.) Poke Floats
2.) Pac-Maze
3.) Rainbow Road
5.) Woolly World
  • Pac-Maze: It's still so strange that this stage, one of the most iconic levels in the entirety of gaming, got cut. I know the gimmick of only having the player who touched the power pellet see the blue ghost while everyone else sees their normal colour can only be done on the 3DS, but that's such a lame excuse to cut what is otherwise a great stage.
  • Random Road: Another iconic level that is mysteriously missing. I get that the only reason the stage exists is because it reuses Mario Kart 7's assets, but it's so strange to leave it out now.
  • Poke-Floats: I can see why they didn't bring this one back. It's not based on any actual location from the Pokemon series, it's just a bunch of Pokemon Stadium models as platforms, and it's incredibly dated (only using Pokemon from the first two gens). However, it's a clear fan favourite and tons of fun to play on casually. We need to fight as Squirtle on top of Squirtle, Sakurai.
  • Mute City: Another understandable cut, basically having the exact same gimmick as Port Town Aero Drive. That being said, I'm a sucker for its pink skybox and 90s anime future city aesthetic. Plus, Melee's rendition of the Mute City theme is still one of my favourite Smash songs 19 years later.
  • Jungle Hijinxs: I get there was really no way to make this stage work with Stage Morph and 8 Player Smash, but I don't care. The ability to fight in both the foreground and background is one of the coolest and most unique ideas for a stage in Smash history. Easily the least likely of the list to happen, but I'd be ecstatic if it actually did.

Last edited:

Gribbo

Smash Apprentice
Going with one per game because balance or whatever:

Sector Z
Mute City
Rumble Falls?
Pac-Maze
Orbital Gate Assault

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Five stages?

Not counting non-playable stages(cause Meta Crystal should return);

Sector Z
Planet Zebes
Poke Floats
Melee Mute City
Rainbow Road

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
View attachment 277093

1.) Poke Floats
2.) Pac-Maze
3.) Rainbow Road
5.) Woolly World
1. Pac-Maze
and four others

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I'm probably not going to talk too much about Smash Bros for a while, given all the !@#$ that's been going around, but in response to some of the questions I saw -
Without a doubt, Raiden is my most wanted Konami character, especially how crazy-awesome Revengeance was. He'd fit well in Smash given he was playable in PSASBR, and without a doubt, we'd get several amazing songs from Revengeance too.

As for the question of which 5 Classic stages I'd pick:
1) Poké Floats,
2) Mute City (Melee)
3) Pac Maze (3DS)
4) Rainbow Road (3DS)
5) Woolly World (Wii U)

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
As much as I would want Contra in Smash, I think the reason that they're not that talked is because the franchise is super dead (even more than Mega man at Smash 4 era). Konami tried to put the franchise back in the spotlight last year but it failed miserably. Contra would be super cool but at this point I see Hayabusa way more likely as a last NES era character.
I don't think being dead matters, Castlevania was like extra dead (even deader than Contra) and they still went for it. I agree that Ninja Gaiden is likelier, but when your claim to fame is historical achievements, what happens after that matters little.
View attachment 277093

1.) Poke Floats
2.) Pac-Maze
3.) Rainbow Road
5.) Woolly World
1) Orbital Gate Assault
2) Jungle Hijinx
3) Mute City Melee
4) Poke Floats
5) Pac-Maze

Honorable mention to Bramble Falls. I like scrolling stages, sue me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom