• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hey, y’know instead of trying to figure out what art Rex would use if he got in why don’t we just stan Elma? She has plenty of art they can use for the fighter spirit.
Now you’re speaking my language :shades:

maybe her Xenoblade 2 artwork for the default “(Fighter)” Spirit

and a slightly edited True Form pic for the “(True Form)” alt’s fighter spirit. Cause you know, Good Boys And Girls

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I’m curious, what are your guys opinions on geno? Personally, I think he’s a lock at this point.
I think he's more likely to be a fighter than a mii costume. They made a big deal out of his mii costume in Smash 4 which wasn't the case with any others, Sakurai explaining that he wanted to make him into a fighter as far back as brawl, the consistent top placings in smash fan polls makes it clear he is very wanted, and if Fighter 11 appearing on it's own has any special significance instead of showing that there are six characters instead of five this time, then that place could be reserved for Geno.

Sure there is a good chance he'll be Mii costumed but I don't think Nintendo is primarily about promoting their next big game considering Joker, Banjo & Kazooie, Terry and Min Min.

Last edited:

Kokiden

Smash Ace
I’m curious, what are your guys opinions on geno? Personally, I think he’s a lock at this point.
I have no interest in him at all and would be very disappointed if he gets in.

I'd get over it in a day if he does, but he's just not my kind of character.

kevinthedot

Smash Apprentice
I've seen a lot of speculation that includes phrases like "I don't want [character] cause I didn't play [game]" or "cause I played [game] and couldn't get into it" a lot.
Makes me wonder, do you guys have any wants where you want the character for them as a character or their fan demand but don't care about nor have ever played their game(s)?

Like, I got one myself in my odd desire for Tracer. Never played Overwatch and don't intend to ever, but I really like the animations and think Tracer could be a weird and fun character regardless.
I also used to have the opposite of this with :ultbanjokazooie:. I adore the games and their character, but I just had no interest in them as a fighter since I expected it to be pretty simple. Got over it a bit when they came out and saw their gorgeous rendition, but they still aren't anything that excites me or that I want to play particularly.

Faso115

Smash Lord
I just think the dumbest reason to not include a character from speculation i've heard is the "this character's publisher has really bad reputation, they shouldn't be in the game" to discredit mostly western characters.

Yeah like Nintendo would care about a company's track record. Should i remind everyone that Konami has 3 characters in this game? And others like Ubisoft have a few other things in this game as well?

So why would you discredit my boy Crash when he is owned by Activision?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Seems that to cut down dev times, and a first for this game, and DLC, they directly reused Min Min model for arms with very minor changes from ARMS.

A bit disappointing, because getting those quirky and cool smash peculiar tiny new design elements/Animation flow is always the coolest thing for me in fighters as a chara-designer, it's a shame.
Which really make me realize how even Animation wise, Min min is...Pretty no, amazingly boring? I don't know. It's just a shame, compared to joker's incredible dynamic animation, Terry's perfect recreation and modernization of classic moves even better than SNK themselves, Banjo full of love and reference from 64 and animations, Hero taking all cues from Shonen manga and DBZ itself, Byleth swift swordwhip play, wonky sword play, precise spear strike and powerful timing and anticipation with their axes...

A shame...I was excited for it, but in the end, the character is very boring...
You see, this is a strange take to me because I think that Min Min is by far the best animated character Smash has gotten in a good long while. Her flow of movement is incredibly natural and pleasing to watch, her stance is great, her moves link together seamlessly...

Smash hasn't always had the best character animations. They often feel pretty utilitarian instead of aesthetically pleasing if they have to be one or the other. But with Min Min, her movement and animation looks damn good. And if she was directly ported from ARMS...well, honestly, that'd make sense.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I just think the dumbest reason to not include a character from speculation i've heard is the "this character's publisher has really bad reputation, they shouldn't be in the game" to discredit mostly western characters.

Yeah like Nintendo would care about a company's track record. Should i remind everyone that Konami has 3 characters in this game? And others like Ubisoft have a few other things in this game as well?

So why would you discredit my boy Crash when he is owned by Activision?
I have nothing against Activision (even though I don’t approve of their microtransactions). The only time I admit I’ve said anything like that effect was about Blizzard, specifically for Tracer (and tbh Blizzard kind of deserves it for shutting down Hong Kong protestors)

but I’ll leave it there so as not to get too political.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I'm terrified to see how the character and stage selection screens will look once all the stuff is released. Please Sakurai fix it so it looks good and PLEASE don't make a second page only for a few stages. Oh my God I am terrified I swear

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I've seen a lot of speculation that includes phrases like "I don't want [character] cause I didn't play [game]" or "cause I played [game] and couldn't get into it" a lot.
Makes me wonder, do you guys have any wants where you want the character for them as a character or their fan demand but don't care about nor have ever played their game(s)?

Like, I got one myself in my odd desire for Tracer. Never played Overwatch and don't intend to ever, but I really like the animations and think Tracer could be a weird and fun character regardless.
I also used to have the opposite of this with :ultbanjokazooie:. I adore the games and their character, but I just had no interest in them as a fighter since I expected it to be pretty simple. Got over it a bit when they came out and saw their gorgeous rendition, but they still aren't anything that excites me or that I want to play particularly.
Lara Croft and Reimu are the only ones I can think of for now, never played Tomb Raider and I haven't touched Touhou in like 9 years but I can't help but respect their legacies

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Travis Touchdown and Klonoa are two of my most wanted characters but I've never actually played either of their games. Beyond my six most wanted characters, I'd like to see Sol Badguy and Sora join Smash Bros but I've never played Guilty Gear or Kingdom Hearts at all.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
do you guys have any wants where you want the character for them as a character or their fan demand but don't care about nor have ever played their game(s)?
Reimu and Crono for me probably

i mean i literally cannot play a touhou game

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
What if they buffed Bayonetta slowly so they could make her equal to Dante when he arrives?

Pfft could you imagine if that turned out to be true?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
What if they buffed Bayonetta slowly so they could make her equal to Dante when he arrives?

It's honestly hilarious that people genuinely don't want Dante because of Smash 4 Bayo which completely ignores pretty much all the circumstances that affected Bayo and that Dante's kit wouldn't likely include a way to ladder anyone nor does anyone expect him to have Quicksilver Style to replicate Witch Time

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Seems that to cut down dev times, and a first for this game, and DLC, they directly reused Min Min model for arms with very minor changes from ARMS.

A bit disappointing, because getting those quirky and cool smash peculiar tiny new design elements/Animation flow is always the coolest thing for me in fighters as a chara-designer, it's a shame.
Which really make me realize how even Animation wise, Min min is...Pretty no, amazingly boring? I don't know. It's just a shame, compared to joker's incredible dynamic animation, Terry's perfect recreation and modernization of classic moves even better than SNK themselves, Banjo full of love and reference from 64 and animations, Hero taking all cues from Shonen manga and DBZ itself, Byleth swift swordwhip play, wonky sword play, precise spear strike and powerful timing and anticipation with their axes...

A shame...I was excited for it, but in the end, the character is very boring...
>ARMS characters can use their ARMS models as a base, drastically cutting down on dev time.

This is how Spring Man wins.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
>ARMS characters can use their ARMS models as a base, drastically cutting down on dev time.

You may be ****posting but I can see them doing something like this with base game Mii costumes.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm terrified to see how the character and stage selection screens will look once all the stuff is released. Please Sakurai fix it so it looks good and PLEASE don't make a second page only for a few stages. Oh my God I am terrified I swear
If the random stage select selection editor is anything to go by, a new row will be added instead for the stage select screen.

Last edited:

Kokiden

Smash Ace

Even with the buffs, she's not exactly what you'd call great so that'd be quite the stretch lol.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
It would also seem Toxtricity was teased in Gen 7.

Toxtricity's the same pokemon that's featured on Turrfield's etching as well. I believe TPC and Game Freak have a plan to use this Pokemon a lot more in the future.
I really think this guy has a great chance in terms of planning and the reception they had. Somebody also pointed out the fact the starters having Gigantamax was likely an afterthought for the DLC while Toxtricity was one of the few Galar Pokemon to get it long time ago during the base game plan.

A bit of a heavy advantage there, now all there needs to be is an anime/movie promotion. :)

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Doom Slayer for me. I don’t play many FPS games and gore makes me a lil’ queasy, but the impact DOOM has had on video games and how cool his modern design is makes him a character I would really like to see. I also just want to see a hardened, brutal, sci-Fi soldier fight Donkey Kong and Kirby. That kind of weird crossover is what I love about Smash more than anything.

Geno is also this for me but don’t tell anybody, Legend of Seven Stars isn’t really that good

Last edited:

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
****, dude, all you had to do was talk to me. Mike Jones is like the only series I want Nintendo to reboot. I think it could be a great Sister series to modern day Zelda.
doesn't The Legend of Zelda already have a sister game? (Murasame Castle, perhaps?)

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Makes me wonder though. Which other characters could be ripped from their games and work in Smash Bros? Because there is a possibility that they could be more likely to be picked as DLC.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
Had no clue this was possible

It was, how in the world did people not know this?
BTW, when you use missles with Samus, her visor glows blue. That was a tiny reference to how she look when you switch to use missiles in the first Metroid.
and Ridley's radianting purple energy comes from Other M, mostly pops up whenever his clone undergoes a transformation to Black Ridley.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Makes me wonder though. Which other characters could be ripped from their games and work in Smash Bros? Because there is a possibility that they could be more likely to be picked as DLC.
I'd say Rex but would they need to rework a model designed for cel shading? I know that MVC:I crashed and burnt because the old Cel shaded models from MVC3 did not work at all without the cel shading.

Given the system has the same power as the WiiU, more or less then Dixie Kong would work well.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I'd say Rex but would they need to rework a model designed for cel shading? I know that MVC:I crashed and burnt because the old Cel shaded models from MVC3 did not work at all without the cel shading.

Given the system has the same power as the WiiU, more or less then Dixie Kong would work well.
Well we know Bayonetta (probably) and Min Min are ripped directly out from their games with little to no changes to their models. With Rex I could probably see them having little to no issue removing the Cel-shading from the character since Nintendo knows their hardware better than anyone else.

Also Tropical Freeze is on the Switch so Dixie could work but then how big is the Dixie Kong model in that game? If it's smaller or has less polygons than the Smash cast then it might not work.

I know Doom Guy is in a shakey place right now with the interview that's seemingly damned him from showing up playable but if he was in the works, the Nintendo Switch version of Doom Eternal could allow Nintendo to use that version of the model and add it to Smash Bros.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I can see why they went model reuse route for Min Min

If you already have a Switch model that matches Ultimate's vibrant style perfectly well, why not opt for it?

Also, Bandai Namco actually helped work on ARMS, so they probably had the assets in their library or something

I don't expect this to be the norm going forward though.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Also, Bandai Namco actually helped work on ARMS, so they probably had the assets in their library or something
I never even heard about this until Min Min's Smash model was brought up. Where is the proof?

Although since Smash has had plenty of recycled models even in Melee, even Nintendo would be willing to lend their own.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Speaking of Namco. Its still baffling they've yet to have gotten an DLC character. Gonna be surprised if Lloyd ain't among the final five.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Min Min looks great to me. Plus, I don't think reusing models is bad if the model they're using already looks fantastic, which all of ARMS models do (game is actually pretty gorgeous).

It's not lazy or "boring" IMO, it's just being smart and resourceful. Why spend hours upon hours making new resources if what you already got looks great?

kevinthedot

Smash Apprentice
With regards to Min Min using her ARMS model as a base: why did anyone assume she wouldn't? That model is already pretty fantastic. Of course they'd just reuse it. There's no reason to remake it when the quality would wind up about the same, that's just wasting time. It's the same way GF using the old Pokemon models really doesn't matter for like 90% of them. They're plenty high quality and not wasting time remaking them means that Sakurai's team has more time to work on the animations which are really great on Min Min (GF should use their asset reuse to give the existing Pokemon more animations but of course they're too poorly managed to actually use that advantage).

That said, I don't think that should dictate who is and isn't more likely for the pass. I could see it as a thing to add to the idea that Min Min may have not been the intended first for the Pass, but that's about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom