• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heoj

Smash Ace
Honestly if we get characters like Geno or Rex, I'm fairly certain they'll just do the Cloud and Robin thing where they just use their Smash render for their fighter spirit, considering they don't really have much other artwork to use, especially Geno,
With geno they could also pull a lucas and use a sprite directly from smrpg

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
I liked very much Vault Boy costume, hope we see more of them, but better next time they included either brawlers (Celeste) or swordsman (Hollow Knight, Hat Kid or Steve) that there are only 3 mii fighters types of movesets haha.

Regarding a potential Wave 3; who knows, I think that Sakurai wouldn't care working for another year in Smash, plus they can break the 100 characters barrier (85 original fighters + 7 echoes + Alph and 7 Koopalings = 100) with possible 45 IPs with playable fighters and almost 120 stages. That would be a total achievement in gaming history

cosmicB

Smash Ace
So the most interesting piece of speculation fuel to come with today's patch, is that the Min Min spirit fight was NOT updated. This means it is hard confirmed Sakurai was talking about more Mii costumes changing spirit fights, NOT new fighters. Many people on the board correctly identified this because it was brought up about the Cuphead costume.

The most obvious candidate for this would be Geno, who already has a costume model created. But who are some other possibilities we could see get "upgraded" spirit to Mii costume?
Oh wow, I'm surprised more people aren't talking about this. It could absolutely have some implications for speculation going forward with characters that could be costumes instead of full characters like Geno.

Anyway, I think Shantae and Rayman are good candidates.

Shroob

Sup?
Tbh, if the Geno Mii costume comes back, it's the prime candidate to get updated.

The current fight sucks. I really don't really see any similarities between Sheik and Geno tbh.

Has anyone checked if a lot of the older Spirit battles have been updated? Like, I dunno, Zero, Protoman, etc?

ZelDan

Smash Master
Tbh, if the Geno Mii costume comes back, it's the prime candidate to get updated.

The current fight sucks. I really don't really see any similarities between Sheik and Geno tbh.

Has anyone checked if a lot of the older Spirit battles have been updated? Like, I dunno, Zero, Protoman, etc?
I think the idea with Sheik being Geno was "alternate forms". Zelda transforms into Sheik, and And Geno possesses a dool (he's actually a star-like being otherwise).

That's all I got.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Skye made a new post on Twitter clarifying that her new role likely isn't Smash related - if it was, she probably wouldn't have said a thing about it.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Skye made a new post on Twitter clarifying that her new role likely isn't Smash related - if it was, she probably wouldn't have said a thing about it.
Well dang, that's a shame, but considering there is a tendecy to re-use Voices, I'm sure this doesn't mean no Rex with the Blades.

On the topic of Rex, I had a conspiracy about the updated Spirit battles...or lack there of

Ryo, Ninjara, and Ribbon Girl were the only Updated Spirit Battles. Ribbon Girl and Ninjara are ARMS Characters. Ryo is an odd man out, since Neither Iori nor Nakoruru have their updated Spirit Battles

Rabbid Peach
Rabbid Mario
Rabbid Donkey Kong
Tails
X
Zero
Mega Man.EXE
Squid Sisters
Morgana
Slime
Iori Yagami
Nakoruru
Akira
Rex

These Mii Costumes aren't Updated at all. also thanks to @SmashBurb from Gamefaqs for Chronicling the Mii costumes

The Rabbids, Morgana, and Slime are just Mii Hats. perhaps in those cases there may not be any sort of Spirit battle Upgrade because the selected characters might fit the body types better.

However the other costumes have no Excuse

I think some of these updated Spirit battles could be hints towards what new content we are getting in the Future

As we can see, we see Sega Costumes, Capcom Costumes (really just Mega Man Costumes), SNK Costumes (though 1 of them was updated) and Nintendo Costumes (not Associated with ARMS)

Akira, Squid Sisters are also Assists in the game. Squid Sisters were also costumes that came with the Current pack, so no update for them is suspicous.

The fact that SNK did get one of their Costumes updated might suggest we're not getting anymore SNK Content, however because there are 2 left, perhaps Iori and Nakoruru could be packed in with content that is related to an aspect of them

Nakoruru has that Japanesse or Chinese Look going for her, and Iori is known for being a Rival character to Kyo

Conclusions based of this Info

-The Nakoruru Costume could imply a Chaacter that has somewhat similiar clothing to her could be added in some form (whether mii, Playable, etc). Reimu is probably the biggest Suspect

-Rex being missing could imply more Xenoblade Content, or just Nintendo Content in General. My guess is that Rex might be playable due to other factors

-The Mega Man Costumes could imply more Capcom is coming in Some form. I don't know about a Mega Man character because they've been killing off Zero Post Base game, but maybe. My best guess is that some major Capcom costumes are coming or we getting a Capcom Character

-With the Sega Costumes missing, along with Squid sisters not being updated, and also Iori not being updated. Combining this with Sakurai not saying anything about Assists at all, meaning there was no deconfirm towards assists. I can say that this might be more evidence towards Shadow the Hedgehog being one of the DLC Characters

yes

Shroob

Sup?
Well dang, that's a shame, but considering there is a tendecy to re-use Voices, I'm sure this doesn't mean no Rex with the Blades.

On the topic of Rex, I had a conspiracy about the updated Spirit battles...or lack there of

Ryo, Ninjara, and Ribbon Girl were the only Updated Spirit Battles. Ribbon Girl and Ninjara are ARMS Characters. Ryo is an odd man out, since Neither Iori nor Nakoruru have their updated Spirit Battles

Rabbid Peach
Rabbid Mario
Rabbid Donkey Kong
Tails
X
Zero
Mega Man.EXE
Squid Sisters
Morgana
Slime
Iori Yagami
Nakoruru
Akira
Rex

These Mii Costumes aren't Updated at all. also thanks to @SmashBurb from Gamefaqs for Chronicling the Mii costumes

The Rabbids, Morgana, and Slime are just Mii Hats. perhaps in those cases there may not be any sort of Spirit battle Upgrade because the selected characters might fit the body types better.

However the other costumes have no Excuse

I think some of these updated Spirit battles could be hints towards what new content we are getting in the Future

As we can see, we see Sega Costumes, Capcom Costumes (really just Mega Man Costumes), SNK Costumes (though 1 of them was updated) and Nintendo Costumes (not Associated with ARMS)

Akira, Squid Sisters are also Assists in the game. Squid Sisters were also costumes that came with the Current pack, so no update for them is suspicous.

The fact that SNK did get one of their Costumes updated might suggest we're not getting anymore SNK Content, however because there are 2 left, perhaps Iori and Nakoruru could be packed in with content that is related to an aspect of them

Nakoruru has that Japanesse or Chinese Look going for her, and Iori is known for being a Rival character to Kyo

Conclusions based of this Info

-The Nakoruru Costume could imply a Chaacter that has somewhat similiar clothing to her could be added in some form (whether mii, Playable, etc). Reimu is probably the biggest Suspect

-Rex being missing could imply more Xenoblade Content, or just Nintendo Content in General. My guess is that Rex might be playable due to other factors

-The Mega Man Costumes could imply more Capcom is coming in Some form. I don't know about a Mega Man character because they've been killing off Zero Post Base game, but maybe. My best guess is that some major Capcom costumes are coming or we getting a Capcom Character

-With the Sega Costumes missing, along with Squid sisters not being updated, and also Iori not being updated. Combining this with Sakurai not saying anything about Assists at all, meaning there was no deconfirm towards assists. I can say that this might be more evidence towards Shadow the Hedgehog being one of the DLC Characters

yes
I'm fairly positive that if Min Min didn't get added to be used as the Min Min spirit battle, we're not going to randomly have DLC characters inserted into old Spirit fights.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sheik's role in OOT is to be the "mysterious warrior who helps the Hero". That also fits with Geno well. Though the transformation thing is fitting too.

Incidentally both also help give exposition for the story.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I'm fairly positive that if Min Min didn't get added to be used as the Min Min spirit battle, we're not going to randomly have DLC characters inserted into old Spirit fights.
It might have been deliberate. anyway i don't know about DLC Characters being inserted into old spirit fights. this theory is suggest the Spirits not updated could point towards what content is coming in the future, and those Spirits might be updated with their costume when those contents come along

Shroob

Sup?
It might have been deliberate. anyway i don't know about DLC Characters being inserted into old spirit fights. this theory is suggest the Spirits not updated could point towards what content is coming in the future, and those Spirits might be updated with their costume when those contents come along
I don't see how those relate, like, at all.

I don't see how someone like Reimu getting in, who has 0 relation to SNK, would suddenly make the devs update SNK spirits.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I don't see how those relate, like, at all.

I don't see how someone like Reimu getting in, who has 0 relation to SNK, would suddenly make the devs update SNK spirits.
To be fair. we did get an updated SNK Spirit. Ryo

It's kind of like how Akira and Jacky came with SNK Costumes despite being from Sega. It's a theme going on here. They both from fighting games

That's what im suggesting, that not only could the Spirits be updated with Respective Companies, but also Themes of that character, like the mii costumes. in Reimu's Case, because both Nakoruru and Reimu were Japanesse clothing and such, that's a theme, so Nakoruru's Spirit battle will be updated with Nakoruru's Costume when Reimu gets in some form (Spirit Event, Mii, or Playable character). it is a conspiracy though, so.....

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I may not be the biggest Rex fan (to put it lightly), but even so, I really don't think that they would just completely reuse voices for these characters from their home game. Shulk got a complete set of newly recorded lines back when he made his debute in Smash 4, so why wouldn't they do the same here? Come to think of it, I can't really think of any character from a spoken dialogue-heavy game in Smash where they just flat-out reused most of the lines from their game of origin.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I feel pretty good about Rex's chances at this point.

That said, I don't think we'll see him for a while. Probably one of the last characters in the pass.

Or he'll be next just to prove me wrong.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Something something Kirkhope lied
something something continue to blow this out of proportion

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
And then Sakurai pulls the biggest of "Wait what" moves and makes the XB2 rep Nia.
"Some of you may be asking why the character isn't Rex, who is undoubtedly the main protagonist of the game...

The reason Nia was picked was because.... SHE HAS A ****ING TIGER! LOOK AT IT! ITS ****ING AMAZING!

I think she'll be a fun character to play." *chuckle*

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Remember when Nia was a base game costume but Rex was DLC?

7NATOR

Smash Master
"Some of you may be asking why the character isn't Rex, who is undoubtedly the main protagonist of the game...

The reason Nia was picked was because.... SHE HAS A ****ING TIGER! LOOK AT IT! ITS ****ING AMAZING!

I think she'll be a fun character to play." *chuckle*
I don't know much about Xenoblade 2, so I need to ask, does Nia actually have Tiger and what is it?

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I don't know much about Xenoblade 2, so I need to ask, does Nia actually have Tiger and what is it?

Dromarch is Nia's blade and is to Nia as Pyra/Mythra is to Rex.

Shroob

Sup?
The only thing I know about Nia is she's an angry Welsh catgirl.

And apparently she called someone a **** by accident once.

I don't really know anything about XB2 outside of memes.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
And then Sakurai pulls the biggest of "Wait what" moves and makes the XB2 rep Nia.
Damn that'd be somewhat interesting in comparison to Rexm
The only thing I know about Nia is she's an angry Welsh catgirl.

And apparently she called someone a **** by accident once.

I don't really know anything about XB2 outside of memes.
Oh no that wasn't accidental, she's the kind of character to say that too. The only accident about that is Rex freaking out about her saying penis and acting like penis is your average everyday word in the span of 5 seconds.

Shroob

Sup?
I’m curious, what are your guys opinions on geno? Personally, I think he’s a lock at this point.
They brought back the Heihachi Mii from Smash 4, so they're still bringing back the old Mii costumes from Smash 4.

He's far from a lock.

Shroob

Sup?
I feel they would’ve brought his costume back with Hero, his amount of costumes is even less then everyone else’s anyways
The two literally have nothing to do with one another.

We're missing the Chocobo hat as well, doesn't mean we're guaranteed another Square character.

We're missing the Lloyd Irving outfit, doesn't mean he'll be playable.

Saying that anything is "A lock" at this point is foolish. They literally could add the Geno Mii costume in the next pack for no other reason than 'they wanted to'.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Min Min is really fun! It takes a bit getting used to, but she's a great start to this Fighter Pass imo. I hope the next characters will also have the same uniqueness that Min Min shines.

The "finally dive into the second half part" seems pretty clear to me, but feel free to involve someone with a better grasp on Japanese than myself. I'd be interested to hear the results.
The phrase「 DLCで追加されるファイター陣も、いよいよ後半に突入!」 does indeed mean "The DLC added by the Fighter Team has finally reached the latter half!". It's not mistranslated.

It is implying that they're at least 50% done with all the post-game content of the game. But then again, as we know Sakurai, they could always change their minds or want their customers to believe that this might be the final pack of DLC and surprise them later on at the end of the pack. Everything is really on the table.

I'd just keep in mind that for now, this is all we're getting, and enjoy every bit of it. Don't bank so surely on a third pass happening, because hell, predicting the guy is near impossible.

Shroob

Sup?
Min Min is really fun! It takes a bit getting used to, but she's a great start to this Fighter Pass imo. I hope the next characters will also have the same uniqueness that Min Min shines.

The phrase「 DLCで追加されるファイター陣も、いよいよ後半に突入!」 does indeed mean "The DLC added by the Fighter Team has finally reached the latter half!". It's not mistranslated.

It is implying that they're at least 50% done with all the post-game content of the game. But then again, as we know Sakurai, they could always change their minds or want their customers to believe that this might be the final pack of DLC and surprise them later on at the end of the pack. Everything is really on the table.

I'd just keep in mind that for now, this is all we're getting, and enjoy every bit of it. Don't bank so surely on a third pass happening, because hell, predicting the guy is near impossible.
Good enough for me tbh.

There's 'some' skepticism due to the datamine, but if they say "This is it", I'll definitely keep that in mind going forward, which, tbh, I was happy with the 1st pass, a 2nd pass on top with 6 more characters feels like a bonus.

But hoo boy the wars as we get closer to the end are gonna be rough.:073:

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Thanks for the translation.

The only reason I don't just dismiss the idea of a third fighters pass entirely is due to the WoL slots and empty spaces on the SSS somehow matching up.

Still, I think its more likely that those were placed there as safeguards in case they do want more content down the line.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I’m curious, what are your guys opinions on geno? Personally, I think he’s a lock at this point.
It seems premature to say that he's a lock (I can't count the number of times people said that about their character of choice), but he seems more likely than ever.

We've got definitive proof that spirits mean nothing when it comes to DLC selection (I'm sure that people will try moving the goalposts by saying "it's only first party spirits that don't count!" or some nonsense like that), there's the interview where Sakurai outright said that he wanted to include him in the past two Smash games, and with Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest in the game, there's no clear frontrunner for another Square-Enix character.

Given the inclusion of Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo, Simon Belmont, Isabelle, Chrom, Dark Samus, every veteran, etc., it's clear that the development team is aware of which characters are popular (or have a long-standing fandom, given how controversial Ridley was in Smash 4).

Besides, my gut feeling when additional fighters beyond FP1 was announced was that we'd be getting popular characters that either didn't exist when FP1 was decided on, ones that they couldn't get permission to use at the time, or ones that became unexpectedly popular over the course of FP1's release. Min Min already covers the third point, and I figure that most of FP2 will fit into one of these categories. (With Geno falling into the second one). Though the first one might not count any more; as we saw with Byleth, exceptions can be made when it comes to a character being too late to make it into Smash.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
geno's position is as ambiguous as ever

spirits are no longer a barrier to entry in the slightest, but it's also just as easy for sakurai to suddenly murder him in the most unexpected place like he did with heihachi

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I must say - I was pleasantly surprised with the choice for Min Min's Classic Mode boss. Every DLC character so far had either Hands or Rathalos, so it was a welcome change.

Hope the other bosses get some spotlight again too.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Geno is in as good of a position as he could be.

He's no lock. I don't think any characters are at this point. But I think he's among the ten most likely characters and that's a pretty darn good spot to be in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom