• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
Anyone who spend their time here, in smashboard, and saw how toxic the community was over this leak because if "confirmed" characters, with the most crazy of reach would and should get PTSD over it.

Never again.
This moment was arguably the worst in the smash community as a whole.
Where where you

When Smashboards.com became a 2nd /v/

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Let's see if Sakurai will keep managing to squeeze in stage cameos for every fighter, even when they don't need them. Seems like that's a trend he's trying his best to keep alive seeing as he's pointed out the cameos in every presentation so far.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So Min Min is pretty damn fun. Probably not a character that I will main for an extended period of time, but she's fun.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Where where you

I think the truly worst moment was when people couldn't accept the ESRB leak as real because it didn't have their precious wecious most wanted so it couldn't be real in any capacity, and that the 3DS CSS was totally incomplete because it wasn't a perfect ****ing square.

Grinch leak is just the total opposite of what the ESRB was: Fake and Pandering.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Where where you

I was here, getting insulted because people don't understand how color artifact work and though that the gray scale that became green on little mac was Isaac's vine and that an earthquake delayed a direct not because of basic respect of death and catastrophe, but because some anime boy have earth and earthquake power.
Only to get BTFO by the most boring reveal ever in the existance of Isabelle.
Wait no, I remember it continuing until the final direct because those idiot though they just replaced his reveal with Isabelle.
I remember having first hand sources saying that the leak was fake, but still got insulted over it.

I will forever hate this fake leak.

God bless Incineroar and Piranah Plant who killed all hope for them.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Let's see if Sakurai will keep managing to squeeze in stage cameos for every fighter, even when they don't need them. Seems like that's a trend he's trying his best to keep alive seeing as he's pointed out the cameos in every presentation so far.
Isn’t Min Min the first one without legitimate stage cameos, though? There is the screen in the background, but if any series could have gotten a load of cameos with models ripped straight from the games, freely licensed by Nintendo, I thought it would be Arms.

Shroob

Sup?
I was here, getting insulted because people don't understand how color artifact work and though that the gray scale that became green on little mac was Isaac's wine and that an earthquake delayed a direct not because of basic respect of death and catastrophe, but because some anime boy have earth and earthquake power.
Wait no, I remember it continuing until the final direct because those idiot though they just replaced his reveal with Isabelle.
I remember having first hand sources saying that the leak was fake, but still got insulted over it.

He may be a heel

He may be something not a lot of people like

He may be ugly to a lot of folks

He may be yet another bipedal fire starter

But when we needed him the most

He was a Hero

1593494158020.png

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Good lord, if there's one thing I don't like about Min Min, it's her victory screens.

Why are they less than a second long? :222:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Isn’t Min Min the first one without legitimate stage cameos, though? There is the screen in the background, but if any series could have gotten a load of cameos with models ripped straight from the games, freely licensed by Nintendo, I thought it would be Arms.
Well it does seem they edited Min Min's ARMS model
Which they've also done for the Spring Man and Ribbon Girl Mii costume models, meaning the only original ARMS-related models made for Smash are the Spring Man AT and Spring Stadium.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I don't count Spring Stadium. Picture cameos are not the same as having the actual character appear in the background. This is the first DLC stage that doesn't do that. Maybe the ARMS fighters were to hard to have back there? We do have a full stadium cheering in the background.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
To be clear, I actually liked the Grinch leak. It was a giant puzzle and it was fun to watch the community all come together to try to solve it, as it kept getting deeper and deeper. It was a fun mystery, and it was exciting. Even with the fact that it had my two most wanted characters, and we didn't get either (at that time, at least). It was disappointing I didn't get those characters, but as long as you don't shake your skepticism, it's not hard to go with the flow.

And therein lay the bad part. The community at large did not remain as impartial as I did, and things became quite nasty. Needlessly nasty. It's just a game, harassing people over the internet is dumb and mean and pointless. Especially at those who are just trying to help. You can't get in so deep you lose perspective.

Last edited:

Goombaic

Smash Ace
I don't count Spring Stadium. Picture cameos are not the same as having the actual character appear in the background. This is the first DLC stage that doesn't do that. Maybe the ARMS fighters were to hard to have back there? We do have a full stadium cheering in the background.
The titantron was tweaked from the original Spring Stadium solely for the sake of having more ARMS characters show up, so I think those should objectively count as cameos. Debating the semantics of a cameo isn't something I want to do though, so the only thing I have left to say is that a cameo is a cameo. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Shroob

Sup?
To be clear, I actually liked the Grinch leak. It was a giant puzzle and it was fun to watch the community all come together to try to solve it, as it kept getting deeper and deeper. It was a fun mystery, and it was exciting. Even with the fact that it had my two most wanted characters, and we didn't get either (at that time, at least). It was disappointing I didn't get those characters, but as long as you don't shake your skepticism, it's not hard to go with the flow.

And therein lay the bad part. The community at large did not remain as impartial as I did, and things became quite nasty. Needlessly nasty. It's just a game, harassing people over the internet is dumb and mean and pointless. Especially at those who are just trying to help. You can't get in so deep you lose perspective.
And then the forum got flooded with undesirables fresh from /v/ who wanted nothing more than to just spam Ugly Steve/'other' forms of art and yeah **** was awful.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Untitled.png

Cameos are cameos.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I was here, getting insulted because people don't understand how color artifact work and though that the gray scale that became green on little mac was Isaac's vine and that an earthquake delayed a direct not because of basic respect of death and catastrophe, but because some anime boy have earth and earthquake power.

Bro you forget Grinch wasn't around for the September Direct.

Grinch leak speculation took place for a week immediately before the final direct.

It was one week. One week everything went down.

I hope nothing like it happens again.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If Reyn was playable none of my friends could ever fight him, his voice clips are so memetic in my circles that even people who haven't played Xenoblade know of the godlike delivery of 'Alleyoop'
I made a moveset for Reyn years ago where his gimmick was using Auras rather than Monado arts. Rage, Berserker, Anchor Chain, and just cause Shulk had shameless stealing, steal Spirit Breath while we're at it.

I'd also imagine having Wild Down as a D-Tilt that can trip. :secretkpop: For funsies.

Shroob

Sup?
Bro you forget Grinch wasn't around for the September Direct.

Grinch leak speculation took place for a week immediately before the final direct.

It was one week. One week everything went down.

I hope nothing like it happens again.
I was going to find that post of that person claiming it was 'impossible' to fake, but I'm lazy.

Needless to say, I think Ultimate truly

Made the impossible, possible

In multiple ways.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I think the difference is that Sakurai knew that Terry in Smash was the only occasion he would work with SNK (and it's obvious he freaking love that company). Square still have lots of potential for playable characters (like Tomb raider, Kingdom hearts (technically Disney but wathever), Nier, Hitman, Chrono and GEX BABY). Most of them could just be spirits event like Mana, but maybe they could be playable eventually.
I think when it comes to square-enix it’s a combination of multiple companies
For example a Squaresoft, Enix and Taito have a gaming library of history in their own each can represent their part of the company’s history

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
As far as Square Enix goes, I just want Slime. '3'

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If I had the choice of choosing next Square, I'd say Crono. Mostly cause it's more Toriyama.

Good thing I ain't choosing. :dr^_^:

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
If I had the choice of choosing next Square, I'd say Crono. Mostly cause it's more Toriyama.

Good thing I ain't choosing. :dr^_^:
Crono is also cool. As is Lara Croft. And Chokobo.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
Will there ever be a newcomer as frightening broken as as Ridley's Skewer/Down+B in the latest patch?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Will there ever be a newcomer as frightening broken as as Ridley's Skewer/Down+B in the latest patch?
What did they do to make it 'broken'? As far as I can tell the only evidence of it being broken is getting hit by down throw and doing literally nothing, something that only worked for the first two months of the game's release

Koopaul

Smash Champion
The titantron was tweaked from the original Spring Stadium solely for the sake of having more ARMS characters show up, so I think those should objectively count as cameos. Debating the semantics of a cameo isn't something I want to do though, so the only thing I have left to say is that a cameo is a cameo. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sure it's a cameo but really it's not to the same caliber. One thing I was really looking forward to was seeing all those great ARMS characters watching the battle and striking some cool poses. It's a little disappointing. We didn't even get all the ARMS fighters as Spirits! A good chunk of the Spirit board is just Spirits that were already there. It just doesn't seem like the same level as the other DLC.

Last edited:

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
ARE there any other Nintendo franchises with NO Spirits?

Like, 3rd party? Obviously. But it's their OWN franchise and they couldn't be bothered.
Dragalia Lost is the big one, but it might be down to copyright issues with Cygames. There's also Pro Wrestling, which is a fairly iconic NES game that's still fondly remembered (namely with the phrase "A WINNER IS YOU"), which historically has been shafted compared to other IPs that haven't been seen since the NES (although it did get rereleased on the NES Online thing). Then you have a bunch of smaller arcade games like Sky Skipper and Block Fever, forgotten downloadable games like Bonsai Barber, Metal Torrent, and Flip Wars, and western-only releases like StarTropics, Gumshoe, and Tin Star. There's also Doshin the Giant for some reason, which is especially weird because that game had two trophies in Melee.
Clubhouse Games, Hyrule Warriors, Devil's Third, Battalion Wars, Ginga no Sannin, Zekkyo Senshi Sakebrain, Time Twist: Rekishi no Katasumi de..., Eco Shooter: Plant 530, and Soccer.

Then, there is their latest titles that may or may not get spirit(s) in the form of Spirit Board.

* Cadence of Hyrule
* The Stretchers
* Good Job!
* Jump Rope Challenge

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I agree they’re cameos, but not full fledge ones like we had. There are varying levels of cameos, and the Spring Stadium ones are the lowest rung right above having nothing. I’m fine since I’m not an ARMS fan, but if I was, I could see myself being peeved by that.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
What do the patch notes mean for "vulnerability for breaking falls", I think that's a brand-new quote.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
That combo is easily escapable and not really reliable, the only thing that really changed is that you can't do the bury>Skewer trick anymore in doubles.

What do the patch notes mean for "vulnerability for breaking falls", I think that's a brand-new quote.
Teching.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom