• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pupp135

Smash Lord
I wonder how long it will be before we get another announcement/reveal?

I’m going to say put Rex & Pyra back on the table, and I am more confident than ever that we are probably going to get a Gen. VIII Pokémon.

I still think Namco deserves another character though, but maybe they are just content with Pac-Man.

I’ll propose this; List 10 Characters you think we could potential see as Fighters for the remainder of this Fighter’s Pass. There’s only 5 left so you get double the chance to guess correctly.

I’ll start.
1. Rex & Pyra/Mythra
2. Generation VIII Pokémon
3. Euden
4. Paper Mario
5. Ryu Hayabusa
6. Tales of Character
7. KOS-MOS (Namco puts her in a lot of crossovers.)
8. Akira (Astral Chain)
9. Sora
10. Geno
I have no idea who will be added since I could see many characters being a fighter after surprises like :ultjoker::ult_terry: getting in.
List of some potential fighters (not necessarily the most likely)
Rex & Pyra: I could see Xenoblade becoming the next FE in some ways (gets new reps to represent more games, and it seems to be promoted since it was planned to get a new rep if Xenoblade 2 had better timing).
Cinderace: promotional Gen VIII pokemon even if it’s another fire type.
Bandana Dee: a requested character who would give Kirby another rep, and he’s technically from Super Star.
Waluigi: he’s the only AT I could even see being promoted (rip Isaac, LoZ and Sonic ATs) due to the backlash of not being in, and FP2 wasn’t preplanned unlike FP1.
Crash: I feel like he fits in well with the rest of the cast, and he has some historical importance.
Geno: While he is a supporting character from a 24 year old game (the only thing that could rival this is something like Lumineon from Pokemon or Lot from FE), he seems to have a vocal fanbase.
Steve: Minecraft is HUGE.
Lloyd: A potential Bamco rep that seems to be mentioned a lot, and people would like to see.
Rayman: He has a long lasting series, and I feel like Sakurai has respect for this series.
Master Chief: Off the wall pick that I could see giving lots of hype.

Most of these picks are ”safe” picks (commonly chosen). Tbh, the only characters I can’t see being added at this point are AT’s outside of Waluigi, DLC Mii costumes (rip Heihachi Sans, Cuphead), non videogame fighters (Goku, Shrek), and maybe indie reps (I could see more Mii costumes like Shantae).

Last edited:

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Ah, I get it. Min + Min = the theory of happiness?
Nah, it's probably a bootlegger who doesn't know how to read.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
People equate the ARMS rep with a Xenoblade character. But remember, one, it was Sakurai who was going to add those characters, not Nintendo. Now Nintendo chooses, allegedly. And just because Sakurai was going to include both doesn't mean Nintendo shares those plans. Two, Sakurai was going to add Spring-Man, and clearly that didn't pan out. So... just... be wary of false equivalencies.

Especially because ARMS has a static cast that will likely only grow. But those at the forefront will remain at the forefront, more or less. Xenoblade is not like that, Xenoblade swaps its casts around, and the XC2 cast is currently out of the spotlight, in favour of a different title in the series.

You also gotta keep in mind how far the main Xenoblade team's new game is in development when thinking about Rex. They started pre-production in 2017, they'd definitely be able to provide content from it by now, barring any large-scale speedbumps during development.

The question is just whether it's Xenoblade or not.

Last edited:

Gribbo

Smash Apprentice
You're making it sound like music and figures aren't already something costly in first-parties (in fact, Min Min barely has any new remixes), or that somehow they're somehow cheap to make. And it's not like you can even consider third-parties a "risk vs reward" situation when the first Fighters Pass was considered a success in sales. Not to mention Nintendo has already spent even more licensing money in just the Mii costumes, if they really cared that much about that ****, they wouldn't be paying to make a Vault Boy costume at all.

If Joker and Hero weren't financially successful, I'm pretty sure Nintendo wouldn't have bothered making Amiibo figures for them at all, especially when Amiibos in general are becoming less and less recurring in general.
I wasn't talking about creating music and amiibo, I was talking about distributing them. Yes, producing stuff costs money no matter what, but third party stuff requires licensing fees on top of that. If Nintendo wants to put the space theme from Super Mario Land 2 in Smash Ultimate, they can just put it in. Meanwhile, distributing music from third party IP can cost a pretty penny. It's the reason Final Fantasy infamously has only two songs from it. Obviously some are cheaper to license like SNK, but it costs money. As for amiibo, again, it's about getting the license to distribute the figures. Obviously the third party amiibo have been successful, but it still cost them more money to produce than a figure of a character they own.

I don't see how the fighter's pass being a success means it wasn't a risk versus reward situation. Yes, the characters were for the most part well-received, but they still had to split the profits with four other companies. And again, that was when the game came out and not two years later when a good chunk of their audience have moved on to other things.

Mii Costumes (and spirits before you mention that) do have licensing, but there's not nearly as much being licensed or produced. I doubt that the Vault Boy costume cost them nearly as much to use as a whole Vault Boy fighter and a Fallout stage with music and a spirit board would've. And as Sans proved, they can still bring a ton of publicity to the game, so why wouldn't they do more?

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Min Min’s pretty sick. Helix would’ve been a bit cooler, but she’s pretty dope.

If we are getting any other first parties, money’s on a Gen 8 Pokémon and Rex

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Add Heihachi to the pile of "what could have been in terms of FG content" alongside Third Strike music and Terry's Garou alt

But despite that, I'm really happy with today's showcase. Min Min was my preferred choice and she looks like a really fun, unique character.

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
If Cacomallow is real, it's taking its sweet-ass time to get here.

You're dealing in technicalities, which really doesn't seem that strong of an approach.
I really don't see what's so technical here.

You're arguing "if we're getting a Bethesda character, the Bethesda skin would've came with them."

I'm pointing to the FACT that there is precedent for that not to be the case.

I have no real skin in the game (I don't care about Doomslayer and I only root for Geno on behalf of his supporters, not cause I personally care) , I'm just saying this argument is weak.

This may end up being another Grinch leak, where it was an elaborate, well-done hoax that is never truly explained, and wasn't debunked until all the characters were released. Just like Grinch leak being fake didn't RETROACTIVELY fix all the flimsy arguments people made against it at the time, "Vault Boy can't come before a Bethesda character" won't retroactively become a solid argument even if Cacomallow ends up being fake.

Does your argument make sense on the surface? Absolutely. It would make no sense for a Vault Boy skin to be released BEFORE a Bethesda challenger is introduced. But it also doesn't make sense for Nintendo to reveal the final base roster size through 2 blank spots on a box. It doesn't make sense for Nintendo to frontload Smash marketing with insanely hype reveals, only to end Ultimate's pre-release marketing push with the 2 most underwhelming and unsurprising roster reveals possible. It doesn't make sense to end the first Fighter's Pass with a complete Nintendo shill pick, only to then immediately kick-off a 2nd pass with ANOTHER Nintendo shill pick (I think Min-Min looks ****ing awesome, but that doesn't change that ARMS being in DLC and not base roster is pure shilling on Nintendo's part)

I'd honestly be willing to argue that nearly 50% of EVERYTHING to do with Smash Ultimate, from game design, to roster choices, to marketing, makes zero damn sense. Vault Boy costume coming months before a Bethesda rep would hardly be the most baffling development with this game. Wouldn't even crack top 10.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I really don't see what's so technical here.

You're arguing "if we we're getting a Bethesda character, the Bethesda skin would've came with them."

I'm pointing to the FACT that there is precedent for that not to be the case.

I have no real skin in the game (I don't care about Doomslayer and I only root for Geno on behalf of his supporters, not cause I personally care) , I'm just saying this argument is weak.

This may end up being another Grinch leak, where it was an elaborate, well-done hoax that is never truly explained, and wasn't debunked until all the characters were released. Just like Grinch leak being fake didn't RETROACTIVELY fix all the flimsy arguments people made against it at the time, "Vault Boy can't come before a Bethesda character" won't retroactively become a solid argument even if Cacomallow ends up being fake.

Does your argument make sense on the surface? Absolutely. It would make no sense for a Vault Boy skin to be released BEFORE a Bethesda challenger is introduced. But it also doesn't make sense for Nintendo to reveal the final base roster size through 2 blank spots on a box. It doesn't make sense for Nintendo to frontload Smash marketing with insanely hype reveals, only to end Ultimate's pre-release marketing push with the 2 most underwhelming and unsurprising roster reveals possible. It doesn't make sense to end the first Fighter's Pass with a complete Nintendo shill pick, only to then immediately kick-off a 2nd pass with ANOTHER Nintendo shill pick (I think Min-Min looks ****ing awesome, but that doesn't change that ARMS being in DLC and not base roster is pure shilling on Nintendo's part)

I'd honestly be willing to argue that nearly 50% of EVERYTHING to do with Smash Ultimate, from game design, to roster choices, to marketing, makes zero damn sense. Vault Boy costume coming months before a Bethesda rep would hardly be the most baffling development with this game. Wouldn't even crack top 10.
"Months"

It's been 8 months since Cacomallow surfaced on the web. I can believe it'd miss one fighter with Byleth, sure.

Two is pushing it, and I mean PUSHING it with Min Min.

If it misses the next character, which probably won't be as long of a gap as Min Min and Byleth is, I'm not even giving it 1% of my attention, it's fake as ****.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
"Months"

It's been 8 months since Cacomallow surfaced on the web. I can believe it'd miss one fighter with Byleth, sure.

If it misses the next character, which probably won't be as long of a gap as Min Min and Byleth is, I'm not even giving it 1% of my attention, it's fake as ****.
I never believed much in CacoMallow, to be honest. I wouldn't be surprised if it was fake all along.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I wasn't talking about creating music and amiibo, I was talking about distributing them. Yes, producing stuff costs money no matter what, but third party stuff requires licensing fees on top of that. If Nintendo wants to put the space theme from Super Mario Land 2 in Smash Ultimate, they can just put it in. Meanwhile, distributing music from third party IP can cost a pretty penny. It's the reason Final Fantasy infamously has only two songs from it. Obviously some are cheaper to license like SNK, but it costs money. As for amiibo, again, it's about getting the license to distribute the figures. Obviously the third party amiibo have been successful, but it still cost them more money to produce than a figure of a character they own.

I don't see how the fighter's pass being a success means it wasn't a risk versus reward situation. Yes, the characters were for the most part well-received, but they still had to split the profits with four other companies. And again, that was when the game came out and not two years later when a good chunk of their audience have moved on to other things.

Mii Costumes (and spirits before you mention that) do have licensing, but there's not nearly as much being licensed or produced. I doubt that the Vault Boy costume cost them nearly as much to use as a whole Vault Boy fighter and a Fallout stage with music and a spirit board would've. And as Sans proved, they can still bring a ton of publicity to the game, so why wouldn't they do more?
The Fighters Pass was already planned all the way back in early 2018. They obviously had this already set in motion. You're making it sound like Nintendo just irresponsibly threw characters around without thinking about costs.

Also, two years later? Joker was released four months after Ultimate's release, Hero in seven, Banjo in nine and Terry in eleven. The only character that released way over a year later was Byleth.

And yes, I can't call the Pass' success a "risk vs reward", not just because of the DLC's success, but also because Nintendo already did a similar plan with Smash 4. The fact that Ultimate had even more third-party characters in their DLC shows Nintendo was clearly confident in them. Why would they even bother with them if the costs weren't worth it?

Most fighting games up to this point would release even less characters, as Dragon Ball FighterZ seasons have been getting smaller each year. Nintendo, on the other hand, is going with a season bigger than the last one.

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman

8 months since the costumes allegedly being tested were leaked, not 8 months since a Bethesda/SMRPG costume actually WAS released.

Those costumes could've been meant to be released alongside certain characters whose negotiations have been hampered as a result of lockdown. There could be plenty of extenuating circumstances we just don't know about.

Again, your argument isn't ridiculous, and I'm not saying you HAVE to believe in Cacomallow. I'm not ENTIRELY sold on it, or saying it's 100% real. I'm just saying it would be foolish to act like it's IMPOSSIBLE for it to be real, just because we got a Vault Boy fighter costume.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Fixed it. I meant they did not changed it. And thats weird.

Sorry for confusion
Not really. There are a bunch of spirits who had costumes show up as DLC, but the spirit battle didn't change.

Cuphead's the outlier here, not the others.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Considering we didn't get a "deluxe" costume this time (unless you count vault boy, which I half do), much less an indie one, I'm wondering what conditions must take place for another one to happen. We know Sans was because Toby was chilling with Sakurai, and Cuphead was probably due to the Banjo-Microsoft connection.

In both cases, a connection was established between Nintendo (and Sakurai) and the Indie dev's company or parent company which led to them receiving a mii costume. Are there any other indies with potential similar circumstances that could lead to another collab? The two I see most likely are Shovel Knight and Shantae due to both their companies already being featured in base game, though this could also be a point against them for that matter. Why go through the trouble for a costume when they're already represented?

Curious to know what others think.

Shroob

Sup?
8 months since the costumes allegedly being tested were leaked, not 8 months since a Bethesda/SMRPG costume actually WAS released.

Those costumes could've been meant to be released alongside certain characters whose negotiations have been hampered as a result of lockdown. There could be plenty of extenuating circumstances we just don't know about.

Again, your argument isn't ridiculous, and I'm not saying you HAVE to believe in Cacomallow. I'm not ENTIRELY sold on it, or saying it's 100% real. I'm just saying it would be foolish to act like it's IMPOSSIBLE for it to be real, just because we got a Vault Boy fighter costume.
For this thought experiment, let's assume that the Mii costumes aren't made all at once and are roughly made around the time that the characters are, because we don't know one way or another if they are or not. They 'could' all be made in one bundle, but we have 0 evidence one way or another, so for this, let's just assume they're made alongside the character, they could not be, but go with me here.

We know that they work on 2-3 DLC characters at a time at any given time due to both the datamine of the launch copy having all 3 of Piranha Plant, Joker and Hero on it, and just how fast we went from Hero > Banjo > Terry > Byleth.

So let's assume that while Byleth was being worked on, they were working on Min Min and FP2-2 at the same time, with Byleth mainly being finished up and work focus primarily shifting to Min Min and the next character.

If they're not here in the next character, I'm calling 100% bull****.

Sure, they 'could' have just made all the Mii outfits all at once and are just rationing them out in bunches, but there's no evidence one way or another saying that's how it works, your theory is equally as valid as mine here, and I'm not trusting this leak at all.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
"Months"

What killed it entirely for me was(after understanding NDA stuff and how massively harsh Nintendo is on video/website leaks where they can literally act...) it not being taken down by now. Honestly, it would've easily been taken down by the end of November at the latest.

It still not being with Min Min(I don't think it'd have been ready by Byleth, honestly, and there's no way that they were "finished" in that video. They were clearly still being playtested. So Terry is definitely not logical for them to come with) basically is beating a dead horse now.

I mean, I didn't think it had a chance coming with Min Min either way, since it was clearly to me it was outright fake by that point. I just predicted that bit right(that it wouldn't be with Min Min cause it was just a mod).

7NATOR

Smash Master
I would just like to remind you guys that with the Dragon Arm/Arm Switching, Min-Min Matches up with the Bayo glitch from awhile back, as that glitch messed with the Change in apperance Bayo is Supposed to make

I do think we should keep Future Glitches in mind. Also if there is a Sonic Glitch make sure to @ me because you already know whats about to happen

SNEKeater

Smash Master
>Resident Evil

S-so you're saying there's a chance?

"Resident Evil, known as Biohazard in Japan, is the peak design of the horror genre in games. With Resident Evil 8 coming to consoles soon, the series is still as relevant as ever. It is Capcom's highest profiting series, and only has a small selection of spirits. Here's how Resident Evil can still win-"
Personally I believe that spirits released post-game are reaaaally unlikely at best, but I'd be super happy with a Resident Evil character. I actually think that making a "Guess Who's the Character" with RE would kinda work, but obviously I'd rather for them not doing that again lol.
People always talked about Leon and Jill when it comes to RE in Smash (myself included), but some people were sleeping on Chris Redfield when we discussed about RE in Smash. Chris is the one with more official and mainline appearences.

At this point I just want another Capcom character. With that I'd be happy with pass 2 lol

Shroob

Sup?
I would just like to remind you guys that with the Dragon Arm/Arm Switching, Min-Min Matches up with the Bayo glitch from awhile back, as that glitch messed with the Change in apperance Bayo is Supposed to make

I do think we should keep Future Glitches in mind. Also if there is a Sonic Glitch make sure to @ me because you already know whats about to happen
Finally

It's his time

1592863875050.png

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

So what could would use Ness as an model? I've seen Neku thrown around by a few.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Considering we didn't get a "deluxe" costume this time (unless you count vault boy, which I half do), much less an indie one, I'm wondering what conditions must take place for another one to happen. We know Sans was because Toby was chilling with Sakurai, and Cuphead was probably due to the Banjo-Microsoft connection.

In both cases, a connection was established between Nintendo (and Sakurai) and the Indie dev's company or parent company which led to them receiving a mii costume. Are there any other indies with potential similar circumstances that could lead to another collab? The two I see most likely are Shovel Knight and Shantae due to both their companies already being featured in base game, though this could also be a point against them for that matter. Why go through the trouble for a costume when they're already represented?

Curious to know what others think.
It has no actual music with it. That's what defined a Deluxe costume for me. No music, not deluxe.

Vault Boy's just a cool costume, that's all.

Vault Boy isn't an Indie whatsoever, further establishing it wouldn't be one, if we want to go with that silly pattern of "Indie only".

I could see Shovel Knight or Shantae being Deluxe Mii Costumes, as there's a lot of great music to go around. There's other options, like Doom Slayer(who I'm fairly sure is not coming as playable at this point), Master Chief, or Fulgore. Generally, the music is the core part. And there's a lot of characters with neat music that could come up.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

yo don't forget there's a Ness Glitch too

y'all ready for another psychic powered youth...?

RouffWestie

Smash Lord

I’m going to say put Rex & Pyra back on the table, and I am more confident than ever that we are probably going to get a Gen. VIII Pokémon.

I still think Namco deserves another character though, but maybe they are just content with Pac-Man.

I’ll propose this; List 10 Characters you think we could potential see as Fighters for the remainder of this Fighter’s Pass. There’s only 5 left so you get double the chance to guess correctly.

I’ll start.
1. Rex & Pyra/Mythra
3. Euden
4. Paper Mario
5. Ryu Hayabusa
6. Tales of Character
8. Akira (Astral Chain)
9. Sora
10. Geno
  1. Arle
  2. Travis
  3. Cinderace
  4. Ryu Hayabusa
  5. FE 2021 Protag
  6. Octoling
  7. Rex & Pyra
  8. Phoenix Wright
  9. Lloyd
  10. Bandanna Dee

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
Given the Bayonetta glitch a while back. Do you guys think she was used as the model for Minmin?
Half-related to your comment, but I would love to know the ancestory of all the characters.

Like :ultbowserjr: being the base for :ultpiranha: - I wonder how many fighters led to the current 76.

Last edited:

frozolloyd

Smash Apprentice

I’ll start.
1. Rex & Pyra/Mythra
3. Euden
4. Paper Mario
5. Ryu Hayabusa
6. Tales of Character
8. Akira (Astral Chain)
9. Sora
10. Geno
You know what, I'm game for this. Let's see how many I get right by the end of the pass lol.
1. Rex and Pyra/Myrtha. Due to being lumped in the same category by Sakurai with ARMS, Rex is in a good place right now. I personally see him as the most likely Xenoblade rep at the moment. And I personally don't think 3 music tracks will stop Nintendo from choosing him.
2. Travis Touchdown. Much like 3 houses, everything seems to be aligning for Travis. New game coming out around the same time as the fighter pass, close company and personal relations to Sakurai and Nintendo, and its a game Nintendo seems to be pushing. This is the one I am most confident about.
3. Dante. This guy has such good odds honestly. Very popular request. Check. Series that has been supporting the switch hardcore like SNK. Check. Main competition, RE being spirited away post base game (if you believe in this). Check.
4. Paper Mario. Other then Rex, this is the other first party character I would be willing to bet on for a slot. With his new game coming out during the pass, I can see Nintendo wanting to add him. Or he might get spirited. We will see in the next few weeks.
5. Lloyd Irving/Yuri Lowell/Tales of protag of potential port. I'm biased, I'll admit, but things after today look pretty good for this series. With their main rival eliminated, the Tales of series is looking like the most plausible character to be added from Bandai Namco(if anyone from Bamco gets added at all). The series has had a long relationship with Nintendo consoles, only skipping the Wii U. I put multiple protagonists here because there are way too many variables to consider. Do they go with Lloyd, the character will certainly please the Smash fandom, or do they go with Yuri, who would please the Tales of core fandom? Or do they add a different protagonist, if a port comes out in the next two years (keeping in mind Sabi's spot on source did say back in November they heard Tales of news related to the switch)? Who knows honestly.
6 and 7. Soul Caliber (Nightmare) or Dark Souls (Chosen Undead). Honestly, if they decide not to go with a Tales character as well, these are the two franchises I would bet they would go with. These are huge series with serious name recognition that honestly would be super hype. Without getting into an argument, I excluded KOS MOS mainly due to not seeing a reason for Nintendo to pick Xenogears, keeping in mind Nintendo was the one who picked the DLC, not Monolith.
8. Phantom Star online 2 rep. I apologize to fans of the series, but I haven't played this game before, thus can't really give a name of a specific character. None the less, considering Japan already can play Phantom Star online 2 on the switch, I imagine it will be any day now until they announce that it will be playable in the West on the Switch. This game has a HUGE following in the east from what I have heard, and would be a huge addition to the roster.
9. League of Legend rep. Honestly I have always been more of a Dota 2 guy, but I cannot underplay how big of an addition this rep would be, due to how famous League of Legends is. With that new fighting game probably coming out next year, I can see Tencent and Nintendo adding a rep. Although unlike PSO2, I haven't named a character because there are so many characters to choose from, I have no idea who the League team/Sakurai would end up on.
10. Waluigi. If Assist trophies DO get upgraded, I think this is the most likly assist trophy to get upgraded. I personally a little doubtful, but may as well cover all my bases.
Well, about a year and a half from now, I guess I'll see how many of these I got right.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Does Nintendo even define Sans and Cup Head as "premium" costumes? I'm pretty sure it's just a term the fandom came up with, yes?

Anyways, I'm extremely curious to see how Min Min fares in terms of viability. While I'm personally super casual with my own play, I am fascinated by the competitive side of Smash so it'll be fun to see how she fares in that regard.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Sakurai said if you Googled Spring Man, you get pictures of a manga character.
And I don't know wtf he's talking about. I get 50 pictures of the ARMS character and a couple of the Mega Man boss. So Japan Google must be different.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
yo don't forget there's a Ness Glitch too

y'all ready for another psychic powered youth...?

So what could would use Ness as an model? I've seen Neku thrown around by a few.

Neku would work. However The Glitch itself deals with Ness's Eyes, which isn't really shared by Neku, but The eyes itself could be a signal of just a overall use of Ness's model or Abilities

For the Glitch itself, my main Culpret was Professor Layton because he has Similiar, if not the exact same type of eyes Ness has, and he also has an Hat like Ness

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
These are the ones that I consider the most probable at this point

#76- Min Min

#77- Geno ( I do not like it but I am happy for those who love it, I think that everything can point to being the last pick of fanservice for their fans with K. Roll and Banjo, here I would have preferred Master Chief)

#78 - Travis Touchdown (I don't even know him well but he is the most likely for No more Hero 3, here I would have preferred Sora )

#79 - Doom Slayer (In his version of Eternal, he is an icon and all his renewed design helped him to strengthen his identity, plus it seems that Bethesda already has a vault boy in)

#80 - KOS-MOS (It is much more important for namco than it seems, and also for Monolith soft and its director Takahashi, I really think it will be a surprise, along with her I also think that Rex has a very strong opportunity but it is hard for me to see them both in the same pass so I prioritize KOS-MOS first for its potential)

#81 - Crash Bandicoot (As the last DLC and with the position that was given it gives the feeling that it is made by and for fans, that's why I want to think that if it is not Crash, here I would go or Geno or even Master Chief, since they are real bombs, they would close the pass)
The only one I take issue with here is KOS MOS. BN just deemed Xenosaga not profitable enough for a remaster earlier this year. Feels like something they wouldn't do if they knew she was coming to Smash since a lot of new people would be exposed to her.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
It has no actual music with it. That's what defined a Deluxe costume for me. No music, not deluxe.

Vault Boy's just a cool costume, that's all.

Vault Boy isn't an Indie whatsoever, further establishing it wouldn't be one, if we want to go with that silly pattern of "Indie only".

I could see Shovel Knight or Shantae being Deluxe Mii Costumes, as there's a lot of great music to go around. There's other options, like Doom Slayer(who I'm fairly sure is not coming as playable at this point), Master Chief, or Fulgore. Generally, the music is the core part. And there's a lot of characters with neat music that could come up.
Yeah, the only reason I half considered it deluxe was because Vault boy came with a fully modeled head and not an ugly wig.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, the only reason I half considered it deluxe was because Vault boy came with a fully modeled head and not an ugly wig.
Honestly, when I saw Callie and Marie I couldn't tell how they didn't look just as good overall.

That's what made it clear to me that the core part was the music.

It looks great, but a lot of costumes looked amazing at their time(Geno's costume was extremely good during 4, a step above the rest. It got more fanfare, but wasn't treated as special otherwise. Special in the sense Sakurai wanted to discuss he really liked Geno, but not a unique label/etc.).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
you think we'll get Pearl and Marina Mii costumes down the line too? Pearl as a Gunner and Marina as a Swordfighter (cause Marina's preferred weapon is a Brella)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Say what you will but Nintendo treated Vault Boy very similarly to Sans and Cuphead, giving him his own vignette, and having Sakurai talk about him afterwards. He didn't come with a piece of music, but he certainly received treatment in excess of any of the standard costumes.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Say what you will but Nintendo treated Vault Boy very similarly to Sans and Cuphead, giving him his own vignette, and having Sakurai talk about him afterwards. He didn't come with a piece of music, but he certainly received treatment in excess of any of the standard costumes.
the music is a bit understandable tho, because copyright... Fallout uses a lot of licensed songs to build that vintage atompunk-apocalypse atmosphere

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
the music is a bit understandable tho, because copyright... Fallout uses a lot of licensed songs to build that vintage atompunk-apocalypse atmosphere
I personally would classify him as a Deluxe costume, but since that's a fan term, it doesn't really mean anything anyway.

I also suspect, to your point, that if the Fallout Vault Boy series had more recognizable original music, we'd probably have gotten a piece. But most of it is just... tones.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Honestly, when I saw Callie and Marie I couldn't tell how they didn't look just as good overall.

That's what made it clear to me that the core part was the music.

It looks great, but a lot of costumes looked amazing at their time(Geno's costume was extremely good during 4, a step above the rest. It got more fanfare, but wasn't treated as special otherwise. Special in the sense Sakurai wanted to discuss he really liked Geno, but not a unique label/etc.).
I think people consider costumes to be "deluxe" when, besides the music, they get fully modeled bodies and head pieces. Sure, Callie and Marie look great and all, but one botched mii can end up making them look pretty funky.

On the flipside, no matter how horrid the mii could be, Sans and Cuphead will always look who they're supposed to be. And now, Vault Boy joins that cause as well. Of course, that isn't to discredit the music. You're getting an extra track for free. But I do think it's only half of the story. Geno 's costume looked great back then, but wouldn't you want one that looks even closer to the original?

SKX31

Smash Master
To clarify...

× MinMin
× Min-Min
o Min Min
Min-d if we Min-e all the pun-ch material out of ARMS?

(Nope, not regretting it, I'm pretty dastardly.)

[Looks at Altaïr, whose Mii Costume trailer was accompanied with AC2's theme "Ezio's Family".]

Sometimes I wonder why that happened.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom