• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
If I had to make a "hot take" that was actually just using today's reveal and previous information to point toward specific 1st parties as potentially more likely, I would say the following:

1. Pokemon Sword & Shield
2. Xenoblade Chronicles 2*

Here's the thing with Xenoblade Chronicles 2...it's no longer the latest game, as we're back to the Monado Boi as the front and center protagonist. It doesn't mean Rex is now done for, or something, but it's not quite in the same position as ARMS.

ARMS has retained the *same* cast, the *same* levels of popularity, whereas Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is...there. I say this as a Rex fan myself. he was one of my most wanted picks for base game, and I am aware of the "just missing the boat" from Sakurai. I would say that's a point in his favor, especially considering they added the DLC costume for him.

Will this result in not getting Rex at all? Potentially, but I don't think he can be written off entirely. If we stick to protagonists and/or mascots only, then Rex survives pretty well and much of the 1st party pack, in my humble opinion, gets shafted.

I'm a bit curious as to who they would add for Pokemon though. It doesn't seem as though there's any particular "mascot" of Gen VIII yet in movies or the anime, so I myself am not sure where to look.

Shroob

Sup?
When do you guys suspect we could see FP7? Given the presentation was recorded on May, I'm gonna presume sometime in August.

Or tinfoil hat theory. July 7th with Geno to coincide with 77.

More likely seeing August though.
Still think a release in September is very plausible.

Min Min's coming out this month, which coincides with an Amiibo restock, and the next restock happens in September. This far, as far as I remember, every time a character Amiibo wave has come out, or in this case now, restocked, a new fighter has dropped that same month.

We also know that, even with the pandemic, development is going along smoothly, and this presentation was filmed in advance.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
My official stance in a Post-Spirit being playable World.

Time to shill for your favorites again people.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Actually though I have to Present something to you guys

Squid Sisters
Tails
Zero
Akira
Iori
Ryo

These are the 6 Characters (to my knowledge) that have DLC Mii Costumes and also Spirit Battles. If Sakurai is talking about changing Spirit Battles depending on Costumes and stuff like with Cuphead, i think we should pay attention to these Spirit Battles

If for some reason there's some that are updated, and others that are not, that could be a sign of either that character, or a character related to them being in DLC
They could update Rex’s spirit battle with his costume too

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

I know someone who would pop the **** off if Star Force Mega Man was playable.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Still think a release in September is very plausible.

Min Min's coming out this month, which coincides with an Amiibo restock, and the next restock happens in September. This far, as far as I remember, every time a character Amiibo wave has come out, or in this case now, restocked, a new fighter has dropped that same month.

We also know that, even with the pandemic, development is going along smoothly, and this presentation was filmed in advance.
Fair enough. Especially given Amiibo Theory as of yet hasn't been broken. September it is then, Minmin has made 77 worth to wait.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I wonder how long it will be before we get another announcement/reveal?

I’m going to say put Rex & Pyra back on the table, and I am more confident than ever that we are probably going to get a Gen. VIII Pokémon.

I still think Namco deserves another character though, but maybe they are just content with Pac-Man.

I’ll propose this; List 10 Characters you think we could potential see as Fighters for the remainder of this Fighter’s Pass. There’s only 5 left so you get double the chance to guess correctly.

I’ll start.
1. Rex & Pyra/Mythra
2. Generation VIII Pokémon
3. Euden
4. Paper Mario
5. Ryu Hayabusa
6. Tales of Character
7. KOS-MOS (Namco puts her in a lot of crossovers.)
8. Akira (Astral Chain)
9. Sora
10. Geno
Already got my wish with Min Min, so...
  1. Crash Bandicoot
  2. Bandana Dee
  3. Gen 8 Pokémon
  4. Any other SEGA rep
  5. Rayman
  6. Captain Toad
  7. Any other Namco rep
  8. Any other Capcom rep
  9. Euden
  10. Sora

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Dancing through the danger INTENSIFIES

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Actually though I have to Present something to you guys

Squid Sisters
Tails
Zero
Akira
Iori
Ryo

These are the 6 Characters (to my knowledge) that have DLC Mii Costumes and also Spirit Battles. If Sakurai is talking about changing Spirit Battles depending on Costumes and stuff like with Cuphead, i think we should pay attention to these Spirit Battles

If for some reason there's some that are updated, and others that are not, that could be a sign of either that character, or a character related to them being in DLC
Well, Tails is there...

Shroob

Sup?
The Cuphead fighter costume was revealed a whole 2 directs after Banjo's direct. Yeah, Cuphead isn't TECHNICALLY a Microsoft IP, but Microsoft seems to be spearheading all outside partnerships involving the franchise. Team MDHR went on record to say that the entire reason Cuphead ever even came to the Switch was because Microsoft approached them and said "hey, let's bring Cuphead to the Switch."

Based on your logic, Banjo and Cuphead should've been revealed together. I'm not so quick to write of Cacomallow based on this logic alone.
If Cacomallow is real, it's taking its sweet-ass time to get here.

You're dealing in technicalities, which really doesn't seem that strong of an approach.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Fiora intensifies

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I knew the ARMS character would be pretty sick. But I'll miss my boy Spring-Man, I genuinely like him and his design a lot. I wanted to style on 'em with the Pompadaur. I knew Misango wasn't happening, even tho he's cool. But Min-Min's still top 5 so it's not a huge L. Dare I say, it's actually a lowercase w.

I think least favorite for me would have been Spring-Tron or Ribbon Girl.

I know someone who would pop the **** off if Star Force Mega Man was playable.
I might have to play "You ****** in Trouble" at full blast if Geo ever made it in. He's probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite Mega Man character of all. And I really see him as one of the most underrated characters Capcom's got. Tho I know he realistically has a Snowball's chance in hell.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I'll just say that regardless of whether Geno and Lloyd really have a better chance or not, I do believe the other six third-party costumes from last game are all coming back.

I just have a gut feeling telling me they ain't getting any better with more than enough mii batches to bring them back (they tend to come back in pairs, and since there were only seven left, it made sense why Heihachi came alone).

Shroob

Sup?
I'll just say that regardless of whether Geno and Lloyd really have a better chance or not, I do believe the other six third-party costumes from last game are all coming back.

I just have a gut feeling telling me they ain't getting any better with more than enough mii batches to bring them back (they tend to come back in pairs, and since there were only seven left, it made sense why Heihachi came alone).
I wish the Rathalos armor would get here sooner or later.

That was a clean looking armor set.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
So, the conversation came up in one of my Discords and I wanna get a consensus here too.

Obviously, base Spirits are no longer a death sentence. But what do y'all think about the DLC spirits, like Resident Evil and Astral Chain? Personally, I still feel like there's a chance those are deconfirmations.

Base Spirits are fair game because they weren't made with FP Vol. 2 in mind, since the second wave of DLC was outside the initial project plan. But the DLC Spirits WERE made with FP Vol. 2 in mind, so I feel like they're a different ballgame.
Base game spirits are what I think are on the table now thanks to Min Min. However, DLC spirits are entirely different: Given how far in advance planning for projects such as Smash are, I'd be hard pressed to believe they went ahead with Spirit events like RE's and Astral Chain's if a fighter was being planned.

One could argue that if the Spirit events were early enough in Pass 1's cycle that it's possible they could be reconsidered when Pass 2's planning began, but even that seems like a bit of a long shot.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I honestly never got the whole spirits deconfirming thing. Imagine Nintendo wanting to add a character, but then saying "oh, we already have a png of that character in the game, I guess it can't be done..."

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Assist Trophies are still up in the air as far as a Death Sentence goes, I'd say the only true killer is 3rd party Mii costumes because money is being exchanged. I have no idea what the contracts look like but I do know that most companies would want to go for the full character as they sell better and I assume have nicer margins.

Shroob

Sup?
Seriously though

I know it was pointed out before but

It's not the most big-brain **** I've ever seen, but basically hiding who it is behind a post that a surprising amount of people read wayyy too deeply into is classic.

Everyone took this as "Oh, this means the pass will be mainly first parties!"

Irman out here b like, "Nah dawgs, I just wanted to tease Min Min." :bowsette:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Knowing how insistent some Cacomallow supporters can be, if anything this will unfortunately strengthen their resolve.
Doom Slayer and Geno fans (not all of them, of course, but a lot of them) are some of the most annoyingly persistent and insistent people in the fanbase. I kinda get it for the latter since they've been waiting since Brawl, but there's a fine line between hope and delusion.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
When do you guys suspect we could see FP7? Given the presentation was recorded on May, I'm gonna presume sometime in August.

Or tinfoil hat theory. July 7th with Geno to coincide with 77.

More likely seeing August though.
I don't think we will see FP7 until we get a proper Nintendo direct, so likely some time between late August and early October.

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
I wonder how long it will be before we get another announcement/reveal?

I’m going to say put Rex & Pyra back on the table, and I am more confident than ever that we are probably going to get a Gen. VIII Pokémon.

I still think Namco deserves another character though, but maybe they are just content with Pac-Man.

I’ll propose this; List 10 Characters you think we could potential see as Fighters for the remainder of this Fighter’s Pass. There’s only 5 left so you get double the chance to guess correctly.

I’ll start.
1. Rex & Pyra/Mythra
2. Generation VIII Pokémon
3. Euden
4. Paper Mario
5. Ryu Hayabusa
6. Tales of Character
7. KOS-MOS (Namco puts her in a lot of crossovers.)
8. Akira (Astral Chain)
9. Sora
10. Geno
I got my list.
1:Sora
2:Crash Bandicoot
3:Dante
4:Master Chief
5Phoenix Wright
6:Rex
7:Ryu Hayabusa
8:Lloyd Irving
9:Rayman
10:Reimu.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Doom Slayer and Geno fans (not all of them, of course, but a lot of them) are some of the most annoyingly persistent and insistent people in the fanbase. I kinda get it for the latter since they've been waiting since Brawl, but there's a fine line between hope and delusion.
Hey, don't call us delusional there. Granted, even as a Geno fan, I am not thinking Geno has a sure, 100% shot of getting in, and I do worry about my fellow Geno fans time and time again for thinking Geno may get in, but we have been through a lot in terms of dealing with detractors. No need to say that we're that bad, okay?

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Hey, don't call us delusional there. Granted, even as a Geno fan, I am not thinking Geno has a sure, 100% shot of getting in, and I do worry about my fellow Geno fans time and time again for thinking Geno may get in, but we have been through a lot in terms of dealing with detractors. No need to say that we're that bad, okay?
So have us Dragonborn fans, which many of your Doom Slayer supporters are rude and arrogant towards.
Nonetheless, I've been lurking the Geno thread myself, I'm not saying all of you are delusional. But some of Geno's fans tend to take things way farther than they should.

You in particular have actually been very reasonable!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So have us Dragonborn fans, which many of your Doom Slayer supporters are rude and arrogant towards.
Nonetheless, I've been lurking the Geno thread myself, I'm not saying all of you are delusional. But some of Geno's fans tend to take things way farther than they should.

You in particular have actually been very reasonable!
Why thanks! I was hoping you'd say that! And I am glad you are not really generalizing.

But yeah, like I said, I do worry for my fellow Geno fans, especially since they could be overhyping Geno up to the point that I worry how they will react if he is not in. I know I won't throw a fit over it.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The main reason why people considered DLC Spirits to be deconfirmations is because they believed Sakurai wouldn't waste his time making them if their game was getting a character. They thought he would hold the Spirits off until the fighter was released.

Thing is, we now know how he'd handle the situation. The existing ARMS Spirits were reused for the Spirit Board, so that's likely what Sakurai would do with DLC Spirits as well. It's not wasted time if the content is being reused to flesh out the Spirit Board. For example, if SwSh got a character, Sakurai would probably add a few new Spirits, toss in the old ones, and voila! SwSh Spirit Board!

I don't think it's a big deal. In the grand scheme of things, Spirits are pretty small compared to playable characters, stages, and music, and they don't take that long to make anyway. I can see him making a few early just to commemorate the launch of a new game.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Seriously though

I know it was pointed out before but

It's not the most big-brain **** I've ever seen, but basically hiding who it is behind a post that a surprising amount of people read wayyy too deeply into is classic.

Everyone took this as "Oh, this means the pass will be mainly first parties!"

Irman out here b like, "Nah dawgs, I just wanted to tease Min Min." :bowsette:
I honestly didn't even believe for a second such implication on third-party characters (even if the guy wasn't serious). After so many guests being sold as DLC, I had a hard time believing they'd just stop banking them.

That and well, what happened with the whole "Imran disconfirmed Sora" shenanigans that turned out to be merely just a speculation discussion and not something more.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I honestly never got the whole spirits deconfirming thing. Imagine Nintendo wanting to add a character, but then saying "oh, we already have a png of that character in the game, I guess it can't be done..."
It wasn't about the .png file itself, but the circumstances around it and the context of how fighters were chosen.

With new context of Vol. 1, Spirits were planned along with DLC. In that sense, it wouldn't have made sense to have something that was already in the game turn out to be a DLC.

With Vol. 2, which wasn't planned alongside the Spirits, that changes things a bit.

It wasn't so much about what Spirits were, but the context around them.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It wasn't about the .png file itself, but the circumstances around it and the context of how fighters were chosen.

With new context of Vol. 1, Spirits were planned along with DLC. In that sense, it wouldn't have made sense to have something that was already in the game turn out to be a DLC.

With Vol. 2, which wasn't planned alongside the Spirits, that changes things a bit.

It wasn't so much about what Spirits were, but the context around them.
Ironically, some people around the web actually did argue the "they're already a .png!"-sorta thing ignoring how other characters have multiple spirits that are canonically the same character as the fighter.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Random, but does anyone know if Minmin's spirit was on the map in World of Light? If so I wonder how that will work. Will her spirit get removed? Will it become her unlock battle? Interested to find out

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Random, but does anyone know if Minmin's spirit was on the map in World of Light? If so I wonder how that will work. Will her spirit get removed? Will it become her unlock battle? Interested to find out
as a matter of fact, Min Min's Spirit IS in the Light Realm! i forget where, but it's there

which gave me the unlock battle idea

speaking of, Sakurai if you include Octoling, the Octoling Girl & Octoling Boy Spirit is in the Dark Realm... just sayin'

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

It's her time again boys.
syruprender.png

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That entirely depends if they give her new artwork or not. Has anybody compared her render to her current spirit yet and noted it here? Cause that's the kicker.

I'm thinking she's unlocked by default like with the rest of the DLC. Her Spirit is gettable through Classic alone, like the rest of the "main costume" or regular characters. Her Spirit Battle probably has her there instead of the regular character. I don't remember who represented Min Min though.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Because it didn't really make sense to draft up a spirit fight, abilities, and placement on the world of light map just to add them in for DLC that was already being planned. It would make extra work that would become pointless pretty fast. I always thought it was only a deconfirm for Pass 1 though. After that it felt like it was free game for any of the freshly deconfirmed. Just doesn't work for the first wave of DLC when they already knew who was DLC before the game even launched.

Shroob

Sup?
That entirely depends if they give her new artwork or not. Has anybody compared her render to her current spirit yet and noted it here? Cause that's the kicker.

I'm thinking she's unlocked by default like with the rest of the DLC. Her Spirit is gettable through Classic alone, like the rest of the "main costume" or regular characters. Her Spirit Battle probably has her there instead of the regular character. I don't remember who represented Min Min though.
1592859270301.png

1592859281226.png

They're very different.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Corrin, iirc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom