• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Come what may, I'm gonna be down with it no matter what because ARMS is sick.

There's just opportunity for me to be even happier if the fighter is ramen-based. :)

your move, Sakurai

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
This feels bad for anyone who was hoping for Euden or a Dragalia Lost rep in general
I mean, I dunno why they can't do both. Most of these mobile games were born throu collaborations with third party studios like Niantic and Cygames, anyway.

...Though I do find it bizarre that AC, not Smash or Mario Kart, was the game that "convinced" them to focus on the Switch.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
This feels bad for anyone who was hoping for Euden or a Dragalia Lost rep in general
Having read the article I don't see how this kills the character's (or any other mobile character for that matter) chances. As said before the decision to put in a hypothetical mobile character would've been done last year before the recent shift that's being described in the article. The article also doesn't say that they're pulling on the plug on the pre-existing games on the platform either and even it mentions that Nintendo will still give them focus, so it's not dead in the water either and they will still get support (which could hypothetically lead to a character if that's their aim).

All in all, I feel this post comes off as jumping the gun. You're definitely welcome to have your doubts on the character and the other mobile ones (I have my own), but I don't see anything in the article that makes it the killing shot that the twitter post is trying to push it as.

Shroob

Sup?
I mean, I dunno why they can't do both. Most of these mobile games were born throu collaborations with third party studios like Niantic and Cygames, anyway.

...Though I do find it bizarre that AC, not Smash or Mario Kart, was the game that "convinced" them to focus on the Switch.
I mean, Animal Crossing has absurd sales figures, and fast for that matter. It sold like, what, 14 million units in 6 weeks?

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

Given that mobile games are typically aimed at mainstream casual markets, I could see NH's success in that same market being the reason to shift major focus back over. It also helps that by focusing on games on their own platforms, they retain 100% of the profit and don't have to share it with Apple and Google (who take a 33% cut, from what I've read).

MarioDDR755

Smash Apprentice
Honestly? If we get an inverse Byleth situation where we get a non-promotee after a wave of AT/Spirit promotions like I'm expecting, my money's on Lloyd. We gotta get a second Bamco rep at some point, right?
We do really need a second Bandai Namco rep. I think Lloyd for Tales is pretty likely to complete the JRPG trifecta with FF and DQ, but I think it'll have to compete with Tekken for possible representation. I'm not sure which they'd do.

What your most wanted ARMS character says about you:
(You know, I'm fine with any of them getting into Smash.)
Aw, you know, even if Min Min wasn't popular, I'd still want her the most. I'd just be less confident that it could actually happen.

Considering New Horizons' success is so dramatically higher than any previous AC game, it's really remarkable.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Just to clarify, mobile games like Fire Emblem Heroes, Dragalia Lost and Super Mario Run are still making profits.

It's just less than previously.

That's not that bad, guys.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Most Nintendo mobile games are pretty bad. Like the best ones are probably Pokemon GO and Dragalia Lost, but everything else feels like it's TOO desperate to drain your cash. Fire Emblem Heroes has no effort put into it aside from it's art, the story is barely there and it's mostly just a hero collector with a ton of powercreep, AC is just there, and Mario Kart tour is pretty much carried by it's branding. Not to mention pretty much a ton of their games have bled players thanks to little content (AC and Mario Kart) or tons of powercreep (FEH), nowadays they rely on a "pass" system to drain even more money from the whales/dolphins playing the game, I can't believe most of FEH's anniversary was spent on talking about how it locks basic quality of life features behind a purchasable monthly pass.

It felt like Nintendo wanted that $$$ mobile but didn't really want to invest too hard into making long term mobile games, and then they got surprised when the revenue quickly decreased from everything but GO and FEH (and even FEH isn't really going to a great spot nowadays), sadly DL was never really a good earner.

Honestly, it's better for Nintendo to pull out completely now if they don't bother with creating a game (with their IP) that can stand on it's own. FEH, AC, and Mario Kart are just extremely discount versions of their console games rather then trying to be something that can stand on its own.

EDIT: And this doesn't even include the absolute trashfire that turned out to be Pokemon Masters at launch.

Last edited:

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
Financial Results (May 7, 2020) / Nintendo working on new mobile games, but “not necessarily looking to continue releasing many new applications”

Regarding the development of our mobile business, while focusing on operating the six applications that are currently available, we are continuing to develop new applications. As for these new applications, we are not yet at the stage where we can announce any new information.
This was a month ago, and there is still a new mobile game coming from Nintendo, but they are slowly losing interest on releasing more mobile games rather they want to focus on using their IP for something else as they predicted to not earn as much in the mobile business.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Nintendo saw what **** like F/GO makes in a month compared to most console games and wanted a piece of that pie

....but they lack waifus, so the nerds don't buy

1592800063697.png

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I feel like people are taking this more seriously than Nintendo is.

The mobile division is still making money. It's not shut down entirely.

I really think people are letting their bias against mobile games affect their judgement here.

♕Pretty Roger♕

God Roger
NNID
RogelioWii
3DS FC
0602-6365-8680
Switch FC
SW-2762-7992-4597
Actually this makes Euden more likely, Nintendo most likely won’t release a new mobile IP that could compete with him and may even think of Dragalia in console (because they obviously won’t throw it after it’s success).

The statement just means they won’t focus on making new mobile games, not that they are going to forget about the ones they already made. Making 1 out of almost 90 characters in Smash be from a mobile game doesn’t mean they are focusing on mobile in the slightest.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Namco fans waiting for a second character be like:
View attachment 275579
It's really weird. Bamco is developing Ultimate, for Pete's sake! Everyone else has two or three reps, and Bamco is the only company not introduced in any sort of DLC to still have only one fighter. You'd think they'd at least get some extra songs.
We do really need a second Bandai Namco rep. I think Lloyd for Tales is pretty likely to complete the JRPG trifecta with FF and DQ, but I think it'll have to compete with Tekken for possible representation. I'm not sure which they'd do.
I mean, Tekken would be part of the fighting game trifecta too, right? I think that amounts to something. Either way, Heihachi and Lloyd both sound like combo fiends that would suit my playstyle quite nicely, Lloyd especially. I'd be fine with either getting in.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
that inspired me to do a thing

What are the top 5 must have songs with your dream fighters?
for me:

Neku: Twister Remix (final battle), Emptiness And, Calling (Smash Remix), Give Me All Your Love (with that one lyric removed cause this game is for Good Boys And Girls), Make Or Break
Octoling: #8 - regret (Smash Remix), Splattack (Octo) (renamed to #3 - splattack, cause it's Dedf1sh remixing it and wanna keep up with the lore), Tidal Rush (yes I know it's from the base game and not Octo Expansion, idc), #13 - shade, and Fly Octo Fly ~ Ebb & Flow (Octo)
Elma: Uncontrollable (original and instrumental so off the bat that's two songs), aBOreSSs (Prog Ares), Black Tar, In The Forest X -> Z Ver (Yggralith Zero)
Black Shadow: Feel Our Pain ~ Fire Field (F-Zero GX), Paper Engine ~ Outer Space (F-Zero GX), Theme of Captain Falcon (...yeah it's obvious they're all gonna be from GX at this point), Theme of Dr. Stewart, Theme of Black Shadow
There's other characters I could list, but I'll go with these 5. Obviously I won't embed more than one cause that'll kill the thread, lol.

Mega Man X: Too many to list, Most MMX games have great OSTs. But I'll give out 5. Mega Man X2 Opening Stage, Mega Man X3 Dr. Doppler Stage 1(I like this official cover in particular), Mega Man X4 Sky Lagoon X, Mega Man X8 Jakob Elevator, Mega Man X1 Storm Eagle.

Jin Kazama: Also really tough cause I really like Tekken's OST. Jin Kazama Theme(Arcade) Tekken 3, Nina Williams Theme(Arranged) Tekken 3, Michelle Chang Theme(Arranged) Tekken 2, Heihachi Mishima Theme(Arcade) Tekken 3, Ogre Theme Tekken Tag Tournament(Arranged)

Dixie Kong: Big Top Bop(Tropical Freeze), Punch Bowl(Tropical Freeze), Cascade Capers(DKC3), Funky's Theme(DKC2), Crazy Calypso(DKC3).

Lara Croft: This was hard because Tomb Raider's music is mostly ambient. But there's some club tracks too. I'd imagine some would be remixes. Jeep Thrills(TR4), The Skidoo(TR2), Le Serpent Rouge(TR AoD), Main Theme TR1(But with a crazy remix), Train Chase(TR Legend)

Ryu Hayabusa: Unbreakable Determination(NES NG1), ACT 1(NES NG1), ACT 2-2(NES NG2), ACT 3-2(NES NG3), Look Ahead(DoA3)

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I did a bet a while back regarding Terry getting into Smash, so with the ARMS character being revealed in less than 8 hours I'm gonna do an ARMS bet as well. For the record I haven't played ARMS and have never claimed to be a #1 fan or anything like that. With that said:

If Ribbon Girl becomes playable in Smash I will purchase ARMS, complete the 500 rounds Ribbon Girl challenge, and reach a high online rank with only her.

Playing the origin games of characters I'd like to see in Smash is something I always try to do, and since the odds may be stacked against Ribbon Girl (because of Spring Man and Min Min seeming more likely) I'm willing to do all of this if she gets in.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
I wouldn't be completely shocked if Sakurai surprised us with echo fighters of the ARMS character. It does seem within the realm of possibility and my guess is it'd be a one time thing for the fighter pass. A nice way to include multiple ARMS characters.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Just a hunch, but I don't think Little Mac can reach as far as Spring Man.

They're both boxers, but that's one of the only similarities between the two. People really shouldn't compare them.
There's a lot of comparisons to Terry and Ken, but they also play completely differently. I think that was Mike's point. I'm sure there's gonna be people who call the ARMS character stretchy Little Mac, just as there's people who'd call Terry Hat Ken cause they never played CVS2 for 10 minutes to figure out how the two have different moves. Just like how Mac can't stretch and doesn't have Boomerangs, or Triple Shots or Dragon Cannons.

Though the Banjo-Kazooie and Duck Hunt stuff mostly happened after their trailer from what I could tell. But there was that one Smash 4 mod.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Just a hunch, but I don't think Little Mac can reach as far as Spring Man.

They're both boxers, but that's one of the only similarities between the two. People really shouldn't compare them.
You're underestimating Smash fandom's ability to hyperfixate on superficial similarities regarding characters they dislike.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
My bets are either Ribbon Girl or Min Min.

I don't feel confident in Spring Man anymore.

Shroob

Sup?
My bets are either Ribbon Girl or Min Min.

I don't feel confident in Spring Man anymore.
If it's between the two, I'm feeling Min.

But no matter who wins between Spring Man or Min Min, we all lose.

Spring Man, *Months upon Months of how Waluigi is a lock*

Min Min, *Months upon Months of how Geno is a lock*

osby

Smash Obsessed
Spring Man, *Months upon Months of how Waluigi is a lock*
It's worth it if I get to play as Spring Man after months of "everyone hates that generic mascot, Min Min is the new face of ARMS"

Last edited:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
My money is still on Twintelle and I think if it's not her, it'll be a huge missed opportunity. Anxious for the direct!!!!

i love twintelle but i'd pick helix too

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Not sure if you care but I'm pretty sure this is satire.
That doesn't change the fact that it's based off stereotypes that some fans like to latch onto and go "haha, that's true"! The original creator clearly stuck in some of their their own bias and opinions as well. Just look at Helix's and Dr.Coyle's, those aren't jokes - they're picking and choosing which fans they make fun of.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Min Min, *Months upon Months of how Geno is a lock*
We can still have that even with Spring Man, since he'd be good news for all sorts of base game deconfirmations. Plus that's not the only thing we'll have to suffer from if Min Min is the fighter, hope you like a ton of posts on how Spring Man has officially been Morrigan'd and ATs are hard deconfirmations.

Shroob

Sup?
We can still have that even with Spring Man, since he'd be good news for all sorts of base game deconfirmations. Plus that's not the only thing we'll have to suffer from if Min Min is the fighter, hope you like a ton of posts on how Spring Man has officially been Morrigan'd and ATs are hard deconfirmations.
Which Morrigan? The one from Darkstalkers?

Well, I don't really care much for ARMs to begin with and really am just happy it's new content in general, so it's no big loss for me. :4luigi:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Took me a bit too long to realize that by Morrigan you meant 'the protagonist gets vastly overshadowed so much this other character becomes the series mascot'

Speaking of Morrigan, put her in with her bullet hell bull**** from UMvC3

Shroob

Sup?
Took me a bit too long to realize that by Morrigan you meant 'the protagonist gets vastly overshadowed so much this other character becomes the series mascot'

Speaking of Morrigan, put her in with her bullet hell bull**** from UMvC3
Morrigan is not for good boys and gi---*Shot*

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Ya know I generally think the "what your character says about your" format has the potential to become really mean spirited, but I think there's ways to do it. I'm not that familiar with ARMS but here's what I could come up with.

Springman - You probably have squeaky clean teeth.
Ribbon Girl - You probably like J-pop, even though you probably can't understand the lyrics.
Ninjara - You raided Area 51 and did, in fact, dodge the bullets.
Master Mummy - You like superheavies and think the idea of being able to kill at 60% sounds fun and balanced.
Min Min - You're a college student who doesn't have ton of money to spend on food.
Mechanica - Same as Master Mummy, but cuter.
Twintelle - You really like her large, luxurious twin tails.
Kid Cobra - *Snakeboards behind you* "Nothing personal, kid."
Barq and Byte - You want to pet the doggo, admit it.
Helix - You probably watched Flubber too many times as a kid.
Max Brass - Your ideal AMV is Max Brass to the song "Gaston".
Lola Pop - You probably didn't watch IT too many times as a kid.
Misango - You have an IQ of 3000, or at least you'd like to think you do. You also have an infinite supply of rare candies.
Springtron - YOU PROBABLY HAVE SQUEAKY CLEAN TEETH, BZZT.
Dr.Coyle - Punching Isabelle from halfway across the stage is okay as long as it's in the name of SCIENCE!
Biff - Truly a man or woman of culture, you have exquisite tastes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom