• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Well may as well pitch in on my most wanted that made the top 50.

44th: Elma
29th: Scorpion
27th: Amaterasu
17th: 2B
10th: Phoenix Wright
8th: Master Chief
3rd: Doom Slayer
1st: Crash Bandcoot

Ones that I support only.

41st: Agumon
35th: Lara Croft
26th: Paper Mario
25th: Dr. Eggman
19th: Ryu Hayabusa

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't see how changing the models slightly is a problem. It's not like the hero alts or the koopalings were just recolored hero or bowser jr. They have unique models which require work to animate and everything. They can just change up animations with Twintelle while keeping the moves the same.
Not that I want Twintelle. Honestly, I'd be prefectly ok without this character.
Twintelle's hair being her ARMS instead of her arms would mean that she'd require a different rigging to animate her, which would mean you'd have to redo all the animations for her as well.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
The only way Twintelle fits into the Hero situation is if she's an Echo.

So it's then no longer a Hero situation. Or even plausible, really.

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
I don't see how changing the models slightly is a problem. It's not like the hero alts or the koopalings were just recolored hero or bowser jr. They have unique models which require work to animate and everything. They can just change up animations with Twintelle while keeping the moves the same.
Not that I want Twintelle. Honestly, I'd be prefectly ok without this character.
Twintelle would be a lot different than those characters. For one, they all share animations - that's why they work as alts. Even in the case of say, Byleth, there can be different animations as long as they don't affect gameplay. Twintelle literally could not share combat animations because she fights with her hair, not her arms. Well... not those arms.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I'm gonna be honest and while this may seem like a hot take...

I would not be surprised if Goku was added in this Fighter's Pass simply because Sakurai (for the last time I'm sure) intends for this Smash game to be his last game, and at this point there isn't really any other character that could leave as big of an impact as Goku. Not even characters like Master Cheif or Kratos.

Well unless you want to talk about Mickey Mouse or Darth Vader or something like that.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I dont get it, he's SOOOOO BORING compared to literally ANY other potential anime character. Whats so much greater about a Saiyan, a NORMAL non-Earthling karate alien mind you compared to a giant military robot, a high school student with psychic powers named after music, or a green ogre voiced by the fat guy from Austin Powers, like what makes Goku so "oh yeah I want HIM for Smash!"
You joke but Japan unironically wants Gundam lmao

also missed opportunity by not making Shrek Kirito for maximum trolling

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It’s Goku but with a beer, pajamas, and a newspaper. Better than Ultra Instinct but bouts of wanting to watch the evening news instead of fighting.
His generic intro dialogue is:

"Hm? Oh don't mind me, I'm just drinking this glass of water."
*ding*
"Now it's orange juice!"
*ding*
"Now it's beer. Yay beer!"
*drinks*

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

I would not be surprised if Goku was added in this Fighter's Pass simply because Sakurai (for the last time I'm sure) intends for this Smash game to be his last game, and at this point there isn't really any other character that could leave as big of an impact as Goku.
Your hot take is too hot when the man said he would never bring him in.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
My two cents on the whole "ARMS could be a Hero-type situation"... while I do think a "multiple characters for the price of one" situation is possible, I think the most likely result will be just Spring Man and Ribbon Girl (less like Hero, more like Robin/Corrin/Byleth with an option between male or female). Both their unique abilities from ARMS are kinda already in Smash to some extent (parrying, rage mechanics, and multiple jumps), they're both the mascots of the game and decently popular characters, and only two characters would be less work overall and a lot more manageable than four characters.

You joke but Japan unironically wants Gundam lmao

also missed opportunity by not making Shrek Kirito for maximum trolling
I went for Shrek because... well, I couldn't make a ****post about a heavily-memed non-video game character without including the other heavily-memed non-video game character.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I dont get it, he's SOOOOO BORING compared to literally ANY other potential anime character. Whats so much greater about a Saiyan, a NORMAL non-Earthling karate alien mind you compared to a giant military robot, a high school student with psychic powers named after music, or a green ogre voiced by the fat guy from Austin Powers, like what makes Goku so "oh yeah I want HIM for Smash!"
Who's the second character? (high school student with psychic powers named after music)

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Fun fact!

Since Kirby's Return to Dreamland, Bandana Waddle Dee has appeared in more Kirby games than Meta Knight.
And yet BWD has only a fraction of the importance, characterization and quantity and quality of moveset potential compared to Metaknight

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Still think it’s funny that current Smash Speculation say that Min Min is WAY more popular than Spring Man and yet, out of all the ARMS characters, the lesser popular, “boring”, Assist Trophy, himself got more votes than any other Arms rep.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
And yet BWD has only a fraction of the importance, characterization and quantity and quality of moveset potential compared to Metaknight
???

Bandana Waddle Dee is heavily characterized and, this is a bit subjective, but the Spear ability is one of if not the most fun copy abilities in the entire series. I don't really get either criticism.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Still think it’s funny that current Smash Speculation say that Min Min is WAY more popular than Spring Man and yet, out of all the ARMS characters, the lesser popular, “boring”, Assist Trophy, himself got more votes than any other Arms rep.
Obviously that's because people were only saying they wanted Spring Man because...
  • He's the boxart, so anyone who just wants an ARMS character would take him as the default choice instead of the waifu they really want.
  • Anyone who wants Waluigi would vote him just to make Assist Trophy promotions viable.
  • People are just voting for who they think has the highest chance, and since the waifus good choices in ARMS are all Spirits people just default to the boring guy.
  • trolololololo
I mean, we can even say the same for the poll at the top of the page here. Min's winning with Sprino close behind; it's not like he's "omg literally nobody wants him!" like people claim...

Unless of course everyone who voted for him is also just trolling...

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Results aren't quite what I expected from a pre-ARMS poll. Here's the full list of results for anyone that's interested.
According to my personal wants and likely candidates:

1st: Crash
3rd: Doom Guy
4th: Sora
5th: Dante
8th: Master Chief
10th: Phoenix Wright
14th: Travis Touchdown
17th: 2B
19th: Ryu Hayabusa
29th: Scorpion
32nd: Sol Badguy
33rd: Shadow the Hedgehog
58th: Kratos
79th: Sephiroth

12-14 of them made it in the Top 50 and all made it onto the Top 100. Not bad.

Though Ghirahim with only 5 votes....the heresy..

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I'm... actually not sure when the poll took place, but if it was before ARMS was confirmed it might be people hoping for a upgrade. With it confirmed, people hope its a ticket to other AT's even though we don't know if assists are even on the table (besides ARMS)

Now if you excuse me, I need to come up with why Color TV Game 15 should be upgraded.

Edit: When voting took place.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I wouldn't trust anything Insiders are saying right now. Everyone on the internet knows how Smash fans look for hints in everything, so they're likely trolling the fans. Even Sakurai is aware of this.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Don’t you get it? He’s just SOOO BORING! What does a pizza-loving goofball heroic ARMS newbie with anti-ARMS powers and victorious dreams have against a noodle girl, pop princess, shiny actress, ninja boy, snake skateboarder, mechanic girl, Robocop and his dog, mummy Hulk, clown lady, DNA slime, robot clone, buff champion dude, and mad-woman scientist? Like what makes people go “oh now I want THAT GUY for Smash!”

I wouldn't trust anything Insiders are saying right now. Everyone on the internet knows how Smash fans look for hints in everything, so they're likely trolling the fans. Even Sakurai is aware of this.
I doubt they’re trolling, that’d just attract more angry people and hurt their cred. ZhugeX’s poll doesn’t seem serious, though.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
???

Bandana Waddle Dee is heavily characterized and, this is a bit subjective, but the Spear ability is one of if not the most fun copy abilities in the entire series. I don't really get either criticism.
Let's be honest, in a game where most of the storytelling is in the pause descriptions, characterization is a privilege and not a right.
Even then, Bandana Dee's got some characterization. He's got some insecurities, and he wants to be brave, strong, and popular like his friends. It's just that it's hard to pick all that up when the most text-heavy game is a casual fighter spinoff for a console nearing it's end.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
BanDee to me is on a tier of "wanted Smash characters" on the same level as Toad and Waluigi; People insist they're needed for Smash because they're the "fourth most important character" when most of their appearances boil down to the games that usually feature a trio of characters needing a fourth for the multiplayer mode. It gives the impression to me at least that people want Bandana Waddle Dee not for his own qualities but to satiate their OCD by putting in a fourth slot in a otherwise perfectly complete triad.

Basically I'm apathetic towards them because they're roster filler to me, but I wouldn't despise them if they got in.
I mean, it'd be pretty darn cool if the Kirby franchise could get at least one more character within the span of two entries and a decade+ worth of Smash.

Bandana Dee has even made his mark on the franchise long before he became "Player 4" and obtained his core weapon of choice, which is something that hasn't even been touched on in Smash all that much. Even then, his still has more a personal arsenal to pull from beyond basic Spear-Based attacks and the Spear itself. Not to mention that, as the sole representative for Waddle Dee kind, he would represent a species that has been with the Kirby franchise since the very beginning.
Heck, since he made more of a mark on Modern Kirby (with a stellar attendance since KRTDL) he would probably bring more Modern Kirby content into Smash than the already represented Classic, Adventure, and Super Star games.

I'm honestly pretty tired of people talking down on Bandana Dee fans for not picking "cooler" characters like Marx, Adeleine, or Magolor (even though we can like more than one character) when it's pretty clear that we want him for several reasons, more or less depending on the fan.

I think I can speak on behalf of most if not all Bandana Dee fans, along with fans of other characters who are ridiculed for wanting a character who "isn't good enough" according to some portions of the Smash community.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
Is it? There's a 12 vote difference between the two. Doesn't exactly inspire a lot of confidence considering that due to the "protagonist first" rule/pattern most people at the time would consider him the only real hope of getting an ARMS character.
If Sol Badguy were struggling to barely beat Jam Kuradoberi I'd start raising an eyebrow...

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
While I think the whole "Spring Man isn't popular" thing is overblown, I'd hesitate to use the poll here. Interest in ARMs in general was at an all time low at the time the poll was running and none of the characters got a large amount of votes in general (collectively, they had around 50 votes total between them). Spring Man was the highest and only got 25 votes with the next highest (Min Min) only being 12 behind him, and the rest were single digits. That's not really a huge difference and doesn't give a large enough sample size to say one character is absolutely more popular then the other, especially when the total votes for the series is so low.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
I think my main qualm with Bandana Dee is not so much of the character himself, but what he would bring to the table. I still have major conflicts with his 3DS roles, but not so much a grudge on the character. Under the assumption he will bring variety to Kirby's lacking Smash portrayal, he should be a passable inclusion, maybe even a good one. I don't think he'd be able to achieve perfection by himself, though. Kirby needs a lot more work in order to achieve its true representation, some of which may not be achievable in this game despite needing to have been fixed before. Would people truly be happy if he was just spear thrusts and added nothing else to the franchise?

jamesster445

Smash Lord
While I don't doubt that people genuinely want Spring Man. But I've been seeing a lot of support for him simply on the basis that he would be an upgraded Assist Trophy which would mean great things for other Assists.

I don't think Spring Man deserves that, nor do I think he's that boring. And besides we already have Ryu, the fighting game equivalent of Plain white bread (who's still plenty interesting within the context of Smash). Spring Man is at least one of those long italian rolls.

Droodle

Smash Lord
You know I'm just excited for the ARMS presentation to come and be done with, just so that people can finally stop arguing that Springman "sucks and his design is boring" or Min-Min "doesn't deserve to get in because she isn't the mascot". I can't believe it's still going strong after 3 months. It'll finally be the end of an era in Smash speculation soon.

I hope Biff cameos in the stage/taunts/victory screens in some way because we all know he's the real MVP of ARMS.

Nanami77

Banned via Warnings
Ngl, the more I remember the streak of Joker, Hero, Banjo, and Terry getting added, the more that I REALLY hope that the pass has at least SOME third parties. Even though ARMS was a huge warning sign.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Ngl, the more I remember the streak of Joker, Hero, Banjo, and Terry getting added, the more that I REALLY hope that the pass has at least SOME third parties. Even though ARMS was a huge warning sign.
I'm sure there will be some third-parties, but I think a pass that focuses on first-parties is fair (not that we know for sure that's what's happening.)

I really wanted ARMS on the roster because I was afraid the series might not be picked up for a sequel, so Ultimate may have been it's only chance. Now I can relax regardless of what happens because there will always be the chance that the ARMS character will return in future Smash games.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
While certain aspects of characters are present for characters I want, the idea of Kirby Hats for Goku, Scorpion, Heihachi, and Doomslayer is enough for me to throw in support. Hearing Kirby say “Kamehameha” or “Get over here” while also seeing Kirby with Heihachi’s eyebrows, mustache, and hair is epic. And seeing Kirby pull out a Super Shotgun with a space marine helmet is simply amazing.
I know it won't happen, but it would be absolutely hilarious to see Kirby with a Jotaro hat declaring "stando pawah" in the cutest way possible.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion

I would not be surprised if Goku was added in this Fighter's Pass simply because Sakurai (for the last time I'm sure) intends for this Smash game to be his last game, and at this point there isn't really any other character that could leave as big of an impact as Goku. Not even characters like Master Cheif or Kratos.

Well unless you want to talk about Mickey Mouse or Darth Vader or something like that.
He literally said he wasn't going to do that ever. While Sakurai changes his mind sometimes hes not changing his mind on everything and this feels like something he won't do.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
well if some people want to shoot down helix but don't have the balls to talk big enough to say who it actually is

1592707723498.png

IT'S BIFF TIME BABY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom