• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
...but I'm having a hard time imagining Fighters who would be a fizzle in comparison to ARMS.
gen 8 pokemon would probably make me yawn and go back into the cryo chamber for another six months

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
OK, so I understand Smash always ends with a fizzle, and the end is never as good as the start. This is true of Brawl, Smash 4, Smash 4 DLC, Ultimate and Fighter Pass 1...

...but I'm having a hard time imagining Fighters who would be a fizzle in comparison to ARMS.
I was curious about that, though "Smash always ends with a fizzle" is also not guaranteed to happen this time--just something we've come to expect, and maybe should for the sake of our health. But the mystery of it is also what makes this interesting--I expected a big 3rd party announcement to be their kick off like last time. Since it wasn't, I now have no clue what direction they're going and how much what they learned in the first Fighter's Pass are changing how they approach this one.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Good timing for Pokemon, amirite?

Anyway, I already outright expected ARMS and ARMS only. It didn't surprise me, already knowing how much trouble COVID-19 had for them, and then a lack of a direct in general(not even Pokemon had a direct. And there's a difference. Pokemon directs are listed with the Nintendo directs, while presentations are their own unique category).

ZelDan

Smash Master
Now that I actually think about it I think I've liked more of the "lame fizzle out" character than not like them. :ultshulk::ultbayonetta::ultbyleth:

So I can't say I really ever fret over the last character of whatever.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
You know what would be funny? If we did get a Galar Pokemon and they came with a Wild Area stage where it actually looked good. It would be nice to see the main area with graphics not resembling a Wii game.

I know a lot of people don't want any more Pokes but I wouldn't say no to Toxtricity or Zacian.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Time for my usual Celebration drawing for the newcomer whoop- whooop-
Even if we don't know who it is yet.
I tried to mimic the ARMS artwork artstyle, and I feel like I did pretty good all thing considered for a one off and first try in this style

See you Monday unless something big change or leak

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
As long as the system it's on isn't garbage, the next Smash game will probably sell a ton of copies, even if the roster is cut to 20. Every Smash game has sold well. Brawl sold well, and its gameplay is ****. 4, 5, and 6 have sold well, and their gameplay still isn't as good as Melee's. People like beating up Luigi with Captain Falcon, and they like having whatever the newest game is.
Smash WiiU was the worse selling Smash alone, despite making usual big numbers.
It would be nightmarer-ish to consider that as good numbers for a Smash game. Thank goodness the 3DS version was around as a companion version title.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Popping back in since it's been a long time.

There's a character video presentation on the 22nd for the ARMS character. I know nothing about ARMS, but I hope it's a character most on here want.

No hint on who the next character will be either unfortunately. I think we could be waiting for months before an announcement or hint will be dropped.

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
I, on the other hand, will predict on June 24, 2020 (Wed) of next week. If the Pokemon Presents is a repeat of the Pokemon Direct from Jan 9, 2020 (Thurs), and a week later, a Byleth Presentation Jan 16, 2020 (Thurs). Then, the same thing could occurred with Pokemon Presents from June 17, 2020 (Wed) to a week later June 24, 2020 (Wed).
Hmm, look likes I did indeed predict a presentation next week, but it wasn't for Smash instead it was for Pokemon on June 24, 2020.

Fighter Pass 1 broadcast:

1.) Joker (Apr 16, 2019 Tues)
2.) Hero (Jul 30, 2019 Tues)
3.) Banjo & Kazooie (Sep 4, 2019 Wed)
4.) Terry (Nov 6, 2019 Wed)
5.) Byleth (Jan 16, 2020 Thurs)

Looking at this pattern, the broadcast could air somewhere on Thursday if it follows directly after Byleth. If not, there are repeated numbers, so on June of the 4 is Thurs, 16 is Tues and 30 is Tues. The June of 6 is San, and it doesn't fit this pattern, but it could happen.
Well, I was wrong for a repeat numbers pattern if it wasn't on Thursday, but it was inching closer to 30. So, a new number has enter the rank, which is 22.

Fighter 2 broadcast:
6.) ARMS character(s) (Jun 22, 2020 Mon)

My thought on this number, now I can safety said to bet on even numbers pattern for a broadcast date (note: I using the broadcast date when it first airs/uploads onto the Nintendo of America Youtube channel). Fighter 1-6 out of 11 have lands on even numbers, 54.5%, there is a higher chance to lands on even numbers than odd numbers 45.4%, and if the pattern continues, the percent for odd numbers will be lowered.

A month with 28 or 30 days, it is 50%, if it has 29 or 31 days, then even is 48% and odd is 51%.

Since Mon is a new pointing point, Fighter 7 could be on a Mon broadcast date following after ARMS character(s) and/or the date could be a one time thing only like Byleth on Thurs. Six in a row so far, and Fighter 7 could break this pattern if it lands on a odd numbers.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
I wouldn't put that much stock into Gamexplain in regards to leaks to be blunt.

Remember when everyone was tearing themselves apart because "OMG Jongamexplain said Kos-Mos?!"

While they do get stuff right "What, no Dash?", they're not really a source for leak information I'd look for reliably.
The prediction video closest to the presentation had them unanimously agreeing it would be someone from 3 Houses.

Now I'm not saying this is proof of anything buuuuuut surely it's fairer to use the prediction video that is only a few days before the reveal and not one that was over a month away (and which wasn't even focused on Smash but on the Game Awards)

Shroob

Sup?
The prediction video closest to the presentation had them unanimously agreeing it would be someone from 3 Houses.

Now I'm not saying this is proof of anything buuuuuut surely it's fairer to use the prediction video that is only a few days before the reveal and not one that was over a month away (and which wasn't even focused on Smash but on the Game Awards)
I don't disagree that they do leak stuff, hell, that's why for several months people were hyper focused on Jon, everyone remembers his Square Enix dump + a new game completely out of his ass, but I'm still shakey on them.

I don't really 'care' who the ARMs character is, so if it is or isn't Spring Man, it's no skin off my nose.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Yeah but they’ve also been super wrong on Smash character predictions too. Notably Joker and Terry(?). They got some stuff but I don’t think they REALLY know who the Arms character is.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yeah but they’ve also been super wrong on Smash character predictions too. Notably Joker and Terry(?). They got some stuff but I don’t think they REALLY know who the Arms character is.
Oh I doubt they don't know if press kits are already being given out, but that's a different matter from whether or not they want to make a 'guess', Jon's deliberately ****ed with people who caught on that he has info we don't multiple times after all

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
The Fighter included in Challenger Pack 7 of the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate DLC will be....

A mustachioed character! This character will be revealed and released this October, just in time for Halloween!

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Good 'cuz I want it to be Spring Man.

This is probably a bad way of thinking, but I feel like Spring Man is the objectively correct choice for the ARMS character. It's not that I don't want the others (I'll take as many as they decide to make so long as their unique qualities are intact), but if there can only be one, I think that Spring Man is the best choice since even though he has quirks of his own, they don't require extra brain power to get the best use out of it, which allows players to focus on the ARMS; the main draw of the game the character is trying to represent.
If we get more characters as alternate costumes, I hope it's just Ribbon Girl and/or Springtron, as the former's abilities mixed with Spring Man's would make the character more well rounded in the platform fighter environment instead of just making it a mess like it would if you threw in Ninjara and Min Min, and the latter is just...robot Spring Man with no real distinguishable qualities of its own other than trading the comeback mechanic for something that wouldn't even work well in the context of Smash anyway due to its slow startup.
I don't want anyone else as alternate costumes of Spring Man because while I do agree that sharing a moveset would be perfectly fine, I don't agree with not having each character bring their own flair to it. Granted, the difference between the characters would be small, but they'd make a huge difference on how the character is played. And because these changes are small in nature and the character's archetype wouldn't change (they'd always be zoners), I hope that if they're going to make the alternate costumes, they'll go the extra mile and add their unique traits alongside them. Of course, alternate costumes shouldn't have different functionality, so instead of alternate costumes, have them be a custom slot like the Mii Fighters. They wouldn't have their own menu or anything, just pick the ARMS character, and then select which one you want like you would select which Mii you want.

At this point I'm just rambling, and my antics here are probably starting to get annoying. I should probably take a break 'till reveal time. Can't garuntee that' I'll do it, but that's probably what I should do.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
This is selfish of me but I don't want it to be Min Min. Anyone but Min Min. There's a huge hatred for Spring Man and many of those people want Min Min to be the new mascot. People will use her Smash inclusion as "proof" that Spring Man has been replaced by Min Min as the mascot. Even though I don't think Smash impacts the decisions for future titles of a series as much as people think it does.

I think the Spring Man haters are going to be obnoxious. More obnoxious than the people who are going to champion "Assist Trophy Upgrades" like Waluigi. I also think the people who hold onto the "Assist Trophies can't be fighters" crowd will be really obnoxious too.

Whoever gets in, there's going to be obnoxious people. But with Min Min it won't just be confined to Smash. It will leak into the ARMS community as well.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
This is selfish of me but I don't want it to be Min Min. Anyone but Min Min. There's a huge hatred for Spring Man and many of those people want Min Min to be the new mascot. People will use her Smash inclusion as "proof" that Spring Man has been replaced by Min Min as the mascot. Even though I don't think Smash impacts the decisions for future titles of a series as much as people think it does.

I think the Spring Man haters are going to be obnoxious. More obnoxious than the people who are going to champion "Assist Trophy Upgrades" like Waluigi. I also think the people who hold onto the "Assist Trophies can't be fighters" crowd will be really obnoxious too.

Whoever gets in, there's going to be obnoxious people. But with Min Min it won't just be confined to Smash. It will leak into the ARMS community as well.
I think it‘s pretty weird that discussion has accellerated to “Min Min or Spring Man” the last few days. Not a knock against her or her fans but it does activate the underdog supporter in me when people say that out of fifteen fighters it is close to guaranteed to be Min Min

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
As I said in the News thread, I think Spring Man's chances are about as high as fishing in Route 119 and NOT catching a Feebas.

Heoj

Smash Ace

uuuhh... okay? I mean yeh i guess there probably is some people out there that absolutely despise spring man but like... at least for me, i just want min-min cuz i think shes the coolest and the character i happen to like the most, thats really all there is to it. Spring man is neat but he wouldnt be that exciting for me personally, but i dont hate the guy, cuz again, hes neat.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Spring Man is the most exciting because he frees all Assist Trophies now and forevermore.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
All I want is fans of characters that are Assist trophies to behave well after this presentation......that's all
I definitely wouldn't mind Spring man, he's my favorite character of the ARMS roster and my main in that game, but when he's already in Smash and you tease that the smash character could be anyone from ARMS you are raising unnecessary hopes for fans of the other ARMS characters.
I want Min min the most, and if it wasn't for Spring man being an Assist he would be my number one most wanted just about now.
I just don't want the smash speculation community to become an absolute dumpster fire of hate and endless arguing after this...

Shroob

Sup?
All I want is fans of characters that are Assist trophies to behave well after this presentation......that's all
I definitely wouldn't mind Spring man, he's my favorite character of the ARMS roster and my main in that game, but when he's already in Smash and you tease that the smash character could be anyone from ARMS you are raising unnecessary hopes for fans of the other ARMS characters.
I want Min min the most, and if it wasn't for Spring man being an Assist he would be my number one most wanted just about now.
I just don't want the smash speculation community to become an absolute dumpster fire of hate and endless arguing after this...
Well, you don't need to worry about that.

Because it already is.

zumaddy

Smash Ace

Uhhhhhhh what? I'm a regular on the Min Min board and I don't see people saying this. I did a quick scroll through the last 5 pages and no one was saying this, in fact a regular topic was how likely Spring Man is alongside Ribbon Girl and Min Min as the top contenders.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
The Fighter included in Challenger Pack 7 of the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate DLC will be....

A mustachioed character! This character will be revealed and released this October, just in time for Halloween!
I knew he'd get in somehow! MOUSTACHIO!

Gallery_target_moustachio.png

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
If Spring Man doesn’t end up playable, he will get the same treatment Ashley and Chrom did when they were disconfirmed.
Assist Trophies deconfirming characters would be a lot easier to accept if people didn't feel the need to kick others while they're down just because their most wanted were included as an item instead of as a fully playable character.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

Shroob

Sup?
I know we are all assuming a fan rule is getting broken the ARMS character, since most are expecting one of the existing Spirits to make the jump. But what if it was Max Brass?
4chan would explode in a ruckus laughter
Smash fans would probably be confused, a bit upset that fan rules are apparently still alive

Those 2 things mainly.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I know we are all assuming a fan rule is getting broken the ARMS character, since most are expecting one of the existing Spirits to make the jump. But what if it was Max Brass?
It would still break a trend of the main characters being the one chosen over fan favourites.

See also, Villager over Tom Nook, Byleth over the House Leaders, Ryu and Terry over other members of their rosters.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
Assist Trophies deconfirming characters would be a lot easier to accept if people didn't feel the need to kick others while they're down just because their most wanted were included as an item instead of as a fully playable character.
Amen.

It would instead break another rule, the one saying it's either the protagonist or mascot of the game to get in first.
Whoever is the ARMS character, at least one rule will be broken.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
It would be worth it to have Max Brass and Captain Falcon face off :p

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
It would still break a trend of the main characters being the one chosen over fan favourites.

See also, Villager over Tom Nook, Byleth over the House Leaders, Ryu and Terry over other members of their rosters.

Amen.

It would instead break another rule, the one saying it's either the protagonist or mascot of the game to get in first.
Whoever is the ARMS character, at least one rule will be broken.
That’s true, but I feel like the ”main character only“ rule has less applications than ”freeing“ Spirits. Not every game has a roster made of more-or-less equal playable character. I can see it being applicable to a Rhythm Heaven character but for the rest it‘s a niche group of games that is in the same situation as ARMS.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I will say this though - as “too obvious” as Spring Man would be, his hypothetical inclusion would have more impact within the context of Smash support bases than any other characters. Seemed like an interesting point to notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom