• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Don't know why everyone's getting so upset.

Silence is literally what I expected from Nintendo with them scattering bits of news and information throughout the summer. So far that's exactly what's been happening.

Just another example of people projecting expectations from their own heads, then getting mad at Nintendo for not meeting these expectations.
It's more that people are tired of the guessing game and just want it to be over (and for most, so that they can move on to more interesting characters to discuss). Also, when you set a month deadline, people don't expect the date to be literally the last day in that month because that's generally bad form.

Turns out the Direct Mini's source was wrong, this is the real ARMS character
Ew! Get that Bayonetta clone outta here! :4pacman:

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
I have to admit the 2 Pokemon Presents situation is strange - but if I was to have a guess, the mystery game was going to be a big E3 reveal, then a separate Pokemon Direct the same week would have expanded upon the game and they also would have announced the spin-offs we saw today. They've now separated the reveals as the new game will probably overshadow these spin-offs.

Don't think the Smash Arms reveal will be affected, however they might delay the Fighter #7 announcement as a similar tactic?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I have to admit the 2 Pokemon Presents situation is strange - but if I was to have a guess, the mystery game was going to be a big E3 reveal, then a separate Pokemon Direct the same week would have expanded upon the game and they also would have announced the spin-offs we saw today. They've now separated the reveals as the new game will probably overshadow these spin-offs.

Don't think the Smash Arms reveal will be affected, however they might delay the Fighter #7 announcement?
I honestly don't see how this could be delayed, Sakurai himself has said the transition to working from home has gone well and again, literally everyone's able to get trailers done, these devs are smart, they knew they were far enough in development to say FP7 would be a June release with confidence, it's literally just them taking the piss

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
I honestly don't see how this could be delayed, Sakurai himself has said the transition to working from home has gone well and again, literally everyone's able to get trailers done, these devs are smart, they knew they were far enough in development to say FP7 would be a June release with confidence, it's literally just them taking the piss
Arms character is Fighter #6, I don't think that particular character's release will be affected at all.

Before the pandemic hit, I think the majority of us assumed #6 and #7 would be both revealed at E3. Obviously things have now changed but I don't think #7 is far away, just revealed a little later than planned.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
There's the rumored Pokémon game being developed by...Tencent, I think? As well as Detective Pikachu 2 and Pokémon Sleep. I don't think we'll see much on the Crown Tundra until later.

They wouldn't do a Super Smash Bros. announcement in a Pokémon livestream even if we got a Pokémon newcomer. At most they'd tell us to watch the next Super Smash Bros. presentation. Besides, they're not going to reveal the 7th pass DLC character before the 6th.
The Tencent game is real: it's being devved by TiMi, their primary mobile developer (CoD Mobile, PUBG Moblie as well as Arena of Valor / Honor of Kings aka Tencent's mobile LoL).

Yeah, I do agree that those three feel like the most likely candidates for next week. I'm not convinced on Lets Go Johto unless we see some actual movement (and not just rumors).

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Desperation and wishful thinking. I feel it too, I really just want to see who the ARMS character is and move on be it an upgrade or not.
I mean, i'm not as desperate as some of the folks here but i'd be lying if I said I wasn't impatient about this lol.

I guess it also has to do with hoping that this will be a full blown Smash Direct with the next character (maybe even two?) revealed. Unlikely, perhaps but I wouldn't completly rule it out.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Arms character is Fighter #6, I don't think that particular character's release will be affected at all.

Before the pandemic hit, I think the majority of us assumed #6 and #7 would be both revealed at E3. Obviously things have now changed but I don't think #7 is far away, just revealed a little later than planned.
7 was a typo, I meant the ARMS character

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Ok so now NoA’s tweeting about friggin FORTNITE of all things

They’re all new stuff though tbf so i do think something is coming soon

update: Nintendo of Europe just finally tweeted THIS months after the fact:

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I mean, i'm not as desperate as some of the folks here but i'd be lying if I said I wasn't impatient about this lol.

I guess it also has to do with hoping that this will be a full blown Smash Direct with the next character (maybe even two?) revealed. Unlikely, perhaps but I wouldn't completly rule it out.
Ehh... Expecting two new characters on top of ARMS might be overkill.

Keep in mind that the estimated end date for this DLC is December 2021. They might finish a couple of months early, but I wouldn't expect any more than three characters for this year. I'm sure they'd want to save at least one of these characters for a later date. Something to reveal toward the end of the year.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Ehh... Expecting two new characters on top of ARMS might be overkill.

Keep in mind that the estimated end date for this DLC is December 2021. The might finish a couple of months early, but I wouldn't expect any more than three characters for this year. I'm sure they'd want to save at least one of these characters for a later date. Something to reveal toward the end of the year.
You're probably right. I just brought it up as a possibility.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Tbh, I don’t even know why I came back with another account. That post earlier really had me questioning that.

I come back after a few months of disengagement (For obvious reasons), and literally nothing has changed. Same tired arguments, same radio silence from Nintendo, same cooked up theories to pass time, ect. And the payoff will be what, a Gen 8 Pokemon? Seems likely so.

The ARMS reveal kicking off the pass was already a warning for me not to get invested in this game anymore (Especially after Byleth, even though I warmed up to him a bit), but the fact is that its the same song and dance over and over again in this community, and it really makes you wonder.

And the worst part is the few glimmers of hope like the Vergeben DM (Which is why I even made another account in the first place), that *may* be true or false, or a carrot dangling like PapaGenos saying ARMS WAS going to be revealed with a potential hype third party, but nope, we won’t tell you whether or not that fell through.

All of this for a game that, tbh, isn’t even fun to play anymore and has outlived its novelty. The single player modes are lacking, the online is garbage, its pretty telling that a game HAS to rely on roster reveals to maintain hype in the community, and for me at least, so far this year that hasn’t even been accomplished.

What I’m trying to say is, for me at least, the hype is over. And if Imran’s statements indicate anything, it is highly unlikely it will return anytime soon. The hype was very low in the past few months, but now, it has truly bottomed out. There is absolutely no reason for me to invest my time and energy in this game anymore. There are other games beside Smash that exist. Next gen consoles are dropping this fall. My country literally caught on fire everywhere a few weeks ago and unrest is still rampant. The pandemic is still creating uncertainty in this country even though studies have implied a far less mortality rate than originally feared. The China situation is at a boiling point, as they are taking over Hong Kong and sending sleeper cells to the Southwest. My point is, for me, there are other things to pay attention to aside from Smash, and the latter has given me no reason to stay invested in the long term. And it’ll likely stay that way from now on.
Exactly my view on this game, but I started to feel that way right when the first details on the game were revealed (nothing has changed aside of a few technical things that only hardcores will care about; "everyone", including the pointless clones, "is here"; the game is watered down, less newcomers, less modes and stuff, because porting all the characters, stages and songs from past games has drained all the development resources; trophies replaced by PNGs, etc.).
(EDIT: and also, input buffer still there, online sucks as always if not more, but now it's paid...)

I agree with all what you said BTW.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Ok but is nobody gonna notice that NoE tweeted about the Cuphead spirit-costume trick just now

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Fans: "We want third-parties and franchises that aren't already represented!"

Sakurai: "M'kay. This next character is both of those things."

Fans: "EWW, GROSS!! WHY DIDN'T YOU LISTEN TO US?!"
Meanwhile I’m one of the few people left who actually wants to see more first parties, from either new or already represented franchises. There’s very few third parties left I actually care for.

Gets killed by the majority of the community who doesn’t agree with me.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Ok so now NoA’s tweeting about friggin FORTNITE of all things

They’re all new stuff though tbf so i do think something is coming soon

update: Nintendo of Europe just finally tweeted THIS months after the fact:
Better late than never, I suppose?

Still though, I'm not surprised that NoA's tweeting about Fortnite. Nintendo did release a Fortnite Switch bundle in South Korea (I find that decision a little strange since South Korea's the birthplace of PUBG, and PUBG has a strong standing there.)

So what you're saying is......
Smash would just be one step removed from Star Wars and the MCU if this was to happen.

I can already imagine the fan fics.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
The real friends are the ARMS we made along the way.

Anyhow, to pass the time we could always talk about whether or not Spring Man breaks AT rules or if Min Min breaks Spirit rules. Again. :4pacman:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Unless The Pokemon Company is announcing they're on the war path and are going to start seizing small states for additional territory, it would've blended in fine.
What makes you think they're not doing exactly that? :4pacman:

I think at this point a drinking game is in order...
No thanks. I still have my whole life ahead of me.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Smash would just be one step removed from Star Wars and the MCU if this was to happen.

I can already imagine the fan fics.
Technically we're already one step removed from Disney. Pity neither of those two universes actually appeared in KH though.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'm personally appalled that I'm not seeing that much excitement for the New Pokemon Snap. Peeps been asking for this game for 20 years! I know it sucks to see Pokemon's stupid two Directs in two weeks potentially take priority over Smash, but this was one of the never ever games, credit where it's due.

(And just sayin', if we get the obligatory Pokemon shill rep, we're looking at either a Gen 2 Poke or freaking Todd Snap. That's objectively the best timeline)

Nanami77

Banned via Warnings
Man... That and potentially KOFXV and more Atlus stuff being revealed on the 23rd is already making me hyped as all heck for that day. If there's a Smash announcement I think I might have a heart attack!
I’m most excited about NM3 and something DR related being virtually guaranteed given the circumstances (Hopefully a fighting game).

Also the possibility of P5 Arena would be hype

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm personally appalled that I'm not seeing that much excitement for the New Pokemon Snap. Peeps been asking for this game for 20 years! I know it sucks to see Pokemon's stupid two Directs in two weeks potentially take priority over Smash, but this was one of the never ever games, credit where it's due.

(And just sayin', if we get the obligatory Pokemon shill rep, we're looking at either a Gen 2 Poke or freaking Todd Snap. That's objectively the best timeline)
Well, this isn't the General Social either. That was a lot more hype.

Some threads were massively pleased with it. Geno thread went off the roof... and only about that. Etc.

D

Deleted member

To be honest at best I expect one more character reveal and release after ARMS. If it took ARMS this long to even be properly revealed I imagine the timeline got shook up quite a bit for Smash DLC. I'd like for there to be more than FP6 & FP7 this year but I doubt it.

Though just in general I think people are really desperate or hoping to be done with talking about the ARMS character as soon as possible. It's been a very weird speculation cycle surrounding the character but I think it's probably been the worst out of the DLC so far.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
All I'm saying is that if this **** drops on the 23rd like the GGStrive stuff, I'm paying NO attention to it, can't believe this is the most demand people have had for ARMS either
I mean they won't announce new characters but Zato and Millia gameplay sounds cool to me, I wanna see how they will change and how much lol

Wild how ****ing Grasshopper and NiS have a trailer ready but not one of the big 3 of gaming
tbf the New Expo thing is supposed to be only for japanese developers so Microsoft doesn't have much to do there. Sony had the PS5 event and Nintendo well, it's Nintendo, I guess they don't see it very interesting and rather shadowdrop news on Twitter.

ZelDan

Smash Master
People have already talked about how odd and silly making 2 seperate Pokemon directs for 2 different weeks is, so I'll just say that what Pokemon project they are announcing next week better be good. TPC/game Freak are already in a rough spot due to SwSH controversy (not in a rough spot financially of course, but you know...), and now Nintendo fans (including myself), are definitely starting to get impatient.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Meanwhile I’m one of the few people left who actually wants to see more first parties, from either new or already represented franchises. There’s very few third parties left I actually care for.

Gets killed by the majority of the community who doesn’t agree with me.
Even if you're outnumbered, there's still a few people here who agree with you.

There are few third-parties I'd love to see in Smash, but I know that number is dwarfed by characters who I don't care to see. You're rolling a die that has far more sides than one that's for first-parties, and many of those sides will give you something you really didn't want. That's not to say that no one would be happy with whatever character that ends up being chosen, but after a while you get tired of saying, "I'm happy (insert character name)'s fans got who they wanted, but I hope the next character is someone I like."

I have a better track record with first-parties than third-parties, and I feel like that's because the options are a lot more limited. It's way easier to find a character I want from a franchise I've played, and the odds of them being added are a lot higher.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I’m most excited about NM3 and something DR related being virtually guaranteed given the circumstances (Hopefully a fighting game).

Also the possibility of P5 Arena would be hype
The hell is DR here because my rotten ass brain read it as Danganronpa or Dead Rising and I cannot see a fighting game happen for them
I mean they won't announce new characters but Zato and Millia gameplay sounds cool to me, I wanna see how they will change and how much lol

tbf the New Expo thing is supposed to be only for japanese developers so Microsoft doesn't have much to do there. Sony had the PS5 event and Nintendo well, it's Nintendo, I guess they don't see it very interesting and rather shadowdrop news on Twitter.
Yeah, and it's more than 10 seconds of Millia and Zato, which is cool

Microsoft still has their own presentation soon, whereas all Nintendo has is "Hey, Paper Mario and the ARMS character!" for the rest of the year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom