• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
There's absolutely no reason why whatever is being shown on the 24th couldn't have been part of this direct. It was 15 minutes for ****'s sake. Unless The Pokemon Company is announcing they're on the war path and are going to start seizing small states for additional territory, it would've blended in fine.

At least we're getting a new Pokemon Snap.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Spin-offs? Of course they don't need to worry. They rarely matter in terms of merchandising/anime. No time limit and all. It has zip to do with what company is behind it as is.
So. What'cha do is: Hire someone else to make remakes of the main series, but instead of a tile for tile remake, it actually tries to improve on the games beyond the new staple features that have been added like the physical special split, including new quality of life changes as well as other cool features. This way, The Pokémon Company can have their cash grab and the fans can have their amazing AAA "spin-off" title.

Heh. Like that'll ever happen.

There's also plenty of June left for the ARMS character.
All three days of it. *tfw the meme becomes the most plausible reality*

Specially considering all the references in the background to Johto AND Espeon and Umbreon.
Speaking of, what the heck was that black Pikachu in the background?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
There's absolutely no reason why whatever is being shown on the 24th couldn't have been part of this direct. It was 15 minutes for ****'s sake. Unless The Pokemon Company is announcing they're on the war path and are going to start seizing small states for additional territory, it would've blended in fine.

At least we're getting a new Pokemon Snap.
I think that they probably wanted Let's Go Johto to be shown off on its own.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
There is also a cold logic in making sure you maximize initial sales of your DLC release before revealing a potential remake a week later.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
I'm a pretty patient guy normally and I remember what I said yesterday but if they're really withholding Smash news till the end of the month for being worried that it'll take the tiniest amount of focus away from any Pokémon announcement for the second week in a row, then they legit need to get their act together.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm a pretty patient guy normally and I remember what I said yesterday but if they're really withholding Smash news till the end of the month for being worried that it'll take the tiniest amount of focus away from any Pokémon announcement for the second week in a row, then they legit need to get their act together.
Then again, it's going to be delayed either way unless the character drops right after the trailer finishes.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Then again, it's going to be delayed either way unless the character drops right after the trailer finishes.
I expect this. We've been given no indication that the game's development is behind. They're either waiting on a trailer, or sitting on the characters for whatever reason.

EDIT: Or this is when they planned to release the characters all along.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I expect this. We've been given no indication that the game's development is behind. They're either waiting on a trailer, or sitting on the characters for whatever reason.
Yeah. Unless the character drops right after the trailer is done, the character will release in July, not June.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I think that they probably wanted Let's Go Johto to be shown off on its own.
I don't really see why, it's not like it would've been overshadowed by anything in the direct. It would've had to compete with brushing your teeth, spinning your finger on an IPhone, a 2-minute trailer for a spin-off, DLC that everyone's known about for half of a year, and a tease for megas in Go.

If anything, now they're in a worse spot because they're competing with the endless cries of "when Smash" and "when new game in other series".

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So. What'cha do is: Hire someone else to make remakes of the main series, but instead of a tile for tile remake, it actually tries to improve on the games beyond the new staple features that have been added like the physical special split, including new quality of life changes as well as other cool features. This way, The Pokémon Company can have their cash grab and the fans can have their amazing AAA "spin-off" title.

Heh. Like that'll ever happen.
The thing is? That doesn't really make it plausible to delay the regular core games. They can't.

The old region Remakes have been generally better(Let's Go is its own set of mainline games, and we should expect the Johto variants eventually unless they don't plan to continue Let's Go, but I'm pretty sure they intend to?) as is. FR/LG was not all that great, but HG/SS were masterpieces.

Hiring someone else does nothing. The reason the first line of games in every new region have issues is due to being impossible to delay. Manpower isn't the issue here. It's the anime and merchandising giving a very strict time limit. They really don't have another option. Don't forget that they also have to deal with sometimes an all new system(And Let's Go is a very small game compared to SwSh, so there's no way it would've looked as "good" since they need to spend way more time on it as is).

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I’m sure Smash DLC likely hasn’t come this week because of either the Pokémon Isle of Armor DLC releasing today or they’re just slow. I’m sure Pokémon news itself won’t cause them to delay Smash. It’s probably next week or (sigh) the last day of June.

If Spring Min Ribbon Whosit actually gets delayed ‘til July, and Nintendo doesn’t tell us, something ain’t right. They specifically said June.

Plus the Kanto Let's Go games are displayed alongside them.
I’m gonna laugh if this is true.

“Sakurai wouldn’t hint with his Smash Direct backgrounds!”

Well, POKÉMON would! Come on, Soccerguy!

I guess the situations aren’t all that comparable but still...

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Except this time it's likely to actually happen.
Regardless of whether or not we still haven't even seen the ARMS rep in the next couple of weeks, you still shouldn't just post "ARMS rep might be delayed" over and over.

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
So does anyone think the arms character is getting delayed...no I think we will see it this week still would have thought we would have gotten some Pokémon dlc spirts otherwise

Last edited:

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I would laugh so hard if the big announcement next week was Pokemon Let's Go 2, I can smell the salt already.

Also I feel like it'd be perfectly on-brand for Nintendo to wait until the last week of June to announce that the ARMS presentation would be delayed to July.

SKX31

Smash Master
It's the same company that thought the people who wake up early in the morning to watch a livestream about video games want to see a phone app about Pikachu helping children brush their teeth. I don't think they know what they're doing at all, lol.
And we love them no matter what.

(Please release these shoes globally.)

So does anyone think the arms character is getting delayed...no I think we will see it this week still would have thought we would have gotten some Pokémon dlc spirts otherwise
Not expecting ARMS to be delayed, simply because the character development has not been (severely) affected and if trailers are affected, they could still do a somewhat last minute shadowdrop.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Inb4 the announcements were split into two directs so they could get ARMS FP6 out of the way in the meantime, leaving room for a Gen 8 FP7 on the 24th.
I highly doubt that they would release a new Smash character in an event dedicated to Pokemon. Also, Gen 8 Pokemon are hard deconfirmed.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I highly doubt that they would release a new Smash character in an event dedicated to Pokemon. Also, Gen 8 Pokemon are hard deconfirmed.
I feel like I've missed something; the version legendaries, the base forms of the starters, and two seemingly random Gen. 8 Pokemon are spirits, but I don't see how that rules out every single other Pokemon from that generation. (then again, I haven't followed Pokemon too closely, so I'm not sure who sticks out from that generation if anyone)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Inb4 the announcements were split into two directs so they could get ARMS FP6 out of the way in the meantime, leaving room for a Gen 8 FP7 on the 24th.
I could see it. Unlikely, but only cause I highly doubt we're getting more than ARMS this month for a character. Not with how delayed it was. They need to have some gameplay done for the character trailer. Though they could pull a short reveal like Joker's, instead of having actual gameplay? It's been done before. And Pokemon is big enough to justify a double trailer anyway. They did something almost similar with Terry. I think only his second trailer had gameplay, though? I forget.

But if they're showing off another character, a Gen VIII option is pretty likely. A Smash Direct at the end of June actually makes a lot of sense.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The thing is? That doesn't really make it plausible to delay the regular core games. They can't.

The old region Remakes have been generally better(Let's Go is its own set of mainline games, and we should expect the Johto variants eventually unless they don't plan to continue Let's Go, but I'm pretty sure they intend to?) as is. FR/LG was not all that great, but HG/SS were masterpieces.

Hiring someone else does nothing. The reason the first line of games in every new region have issues is due to being impossible to delay. Manpower isn't the issue here. It's the anime and merchandising giving a very strict time limit. They really don't have another option. Don't forget that they also have to deal with sometimes an all new system(And Let's Go is a very small game compared to SwSh, so there's no way it would've looked as "good" since they need to spend way more time on it as is).
The idea was that these remakes would be operating independently of the main series's generations like a side series, which would solve this problem. It ain't happenin' but it would solve it.

As a counterpoint to your last point though, Intelligent Systems was also making the jump to the Switch, and they made the best Fire Emblem game since Fire Emblem Awakening. It's not really a good excuse. It's the deadlines and from what I hear, small development team that made the games teeming with missed potential. I know why this is, I just really rather the series not go in this direction.

Who’s ready for the Gen 8 FP7 reveal this week or next?
They're not going to reveal the 7th fighter before the 6th one.

Also, Gen 8 Pokemon are hard deconfirmed.
I wouldn't say so. As far as 1st party spirits are concerned, they only disconfirm if they were made after the pass's characters were locked in, and if they were the character that was inspirited. Or if the ARMS character isn't a Spirit, but we don't know that.

Nanami77

Banned via Warnings
The idea was that these remakes would be operating independently of the main series's generations like a side series, which would solve this problem. It ain't happenin' but it would solve it.

As a counterpoint to your last point though, Intelligent Systems was also making the jump to the Switch, and they made the best Fire Emblem game since Fire Emblem Awakening. It's not really a good excuse. It's the deadlines and from what I hear, small development team that made the games teeming with missed potential. I know why this is, I just really rather the series not go in this direction.

They're not going to reveal the 7th fighter before the 6th one.

I wouldn't say so. As far as 1st party spirits are concerned, they only disconfirm if they were made after the pass's characters were locked in, and if they were the character that was inspirited. Or if the ARMS character isn't a Spirit, but we don't know that.
I’m talking about alongside the ARMS presentation

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I feel like I've missed something; the version legendaries, the base forms of the starters, and two seemingly random Gen. 8 Pokemon are spirits, but I don't see how that rules out every single other Pokemon from that generation. (then again, I haven't followed Pokemon too closely, so I'm not sure who sticks out from that generation if anyone)
They would not have even done a Spirit Event for Sword and Shield if we were getting a Gen 8 Pokemon, as shown by how there was no Fire Emblem: Three Houses Spirit Event.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
There's a lot of Pokemon people latch onto. Like Toxicricity.

I haven't touched my copy, so forgive the spelling. Urshifu also is in a good position as a Zelda/Sheik like character(changing out like Pokemon Trainer, but having two Pokemon. As a tag team like Wrestlers, in a way).

They already do when it comes to development. They're released way after, but tied mainly for the sake of trading. Besides that, the old generation remakes are their own timeline. They're not spin-offs, mind you, but nor are the Let's Go games.

Did they have a massive deadline to time it with an anime? No? Then it's not the same situation. In the end, the anime outright forces a specific deadline. Keep in mind the filler season in Pokemon(the only one, Orange Islands), was not remotely popular. Filler is hated more than ever. That's why they stopped doing filler after one time. Also it's worth noting FR/LG was not tied to the anime for advertising. However, HG/SS had its own anime arc too. Japan had its own actual filler season too, separate from the Orange Islands. Since it starred tons of other unused characters and even had Gold and Crystal's own counterparts, it was a lot more popular than the Orange Islands. Fitting too, as it properly advertises the games. Not the few random Gen II Pokemon OI had.

Note that Diamond/Pearl and Red/Green were awful too. Even Red/Blue were bad. Yellow was the only one not completely broken. This happens quite often. The first game on a system on Pokemon(core mainline games, not special ones that are small like Let's Go) were always pretty bad. But again, they have massive time limits, so it makes sense why. If they could delay it, this wouldn't been an issue.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Catchy, I was gonna call it 'Let's go Marill', and 'Let's Go Mareep'
Pokémon Let's Go Pikablue and Pokémon Beep Beep I'm a Sheep.

I’m talking about alongside the ARMS presentation
Oooh. Well that's gonna be on the week after so still probably not.

They would not have even done a Spirit Event for Sword and Shield if we were getting a Gen 8 Pokemon, as shown by how there was no Fire Emblem: Three Houses Spirit Event.
The question is though: Was the Spirit event made when the second Fighters Pass had already selected it's characters? Even then none of the prime suspects for playable characters were inspirited, and there's no rights issue with the series due to it being first party.

Did they have a massive deadline to time it with an anime? No? Then it's not the same situation.
No but it proves that given the resources, it can be done very realistically. It proves that Game Freak and The Pokémon Company didn't give the games the resources they needed. The anime does not absolve them of this critique nor does the console jump.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think some transparency would go a long way for this Challenger Pack. I realize they did tell us that we'd get the fighter in "June". But Nintendo is also shown...next to nothing.

Certainly, Pokemon is part of the brand, but it's still frustrating that I have legitimately no idea what to expect in the Fall or Winter coming up. I want to know what I want to save money for (aside from potentially getting a Next Gen console). Pokemon news was great, and I was excited to see Pokemon Snap get some love, but I still want to see what's going on with Mario, or Zelda, and most of all...getting this damn ARMS character out of the way, because the discussions I've been having with people are cyclical in nature and generally uninteresting beyond the same points everybody brings up. I'm going crazy. I literally posted, "X MINUTES" every hour just to feel something. I don't even feel the curve in my spine anymore, only existential dread.

Anyway, if they're going to delay the fighter then they have a responsibility to announce that information early enough so that they don't appear to be leading fans on.

It really just comes down to the fact that we got Volume 2 announced in September, got CP5 in January, got a little news on where the fighter for CP6 comes from. So essentially, the last two DLC characters (I love Byleth and am excited to play as ARMS characters) were a relatively divisive pick, and then an unknown. This has been the state of speculation since September.

I'm usually positive, but man. It would be REALLY GREAT to get some Smash news and then silence for another 3 months.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
This literally proves nothing, I hope you know.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Yeah. Unless the character drops right after the trailer is done, the character will release in July, not June.
FR though, why do you come into the thread repeating the same stuff in a single sentence. I've seen that gen 8 stuff be repeated for the past 3 or so months, you have made about 3 months worth of posts in a matter of days about how you think the ARMS character is delayed? You don't even go in depth about why you think it and sometimes you just go 'not happening' with stuff that could have a plausible chance of happening

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
No but it proves that given the resources, it can be done very realistically. It proves that Game Freak and The Pokémon Company didn't give the games the resources they needed. The anime does not absolve them of this critique nor does the console jump.
The resource is "time" and time alone. That's the only thing that would've worked. The anime does prove to be both detrimental and helpful. The series only released as an anime in some regions, and it wouldn't be a juggernaut franchise without the merchandise. Keep in mind just getting more people doesn't do enough. You need time to actually program and test. Any time a hard deadline is given, things are on the verge of being cut. Pokemon already felt the need to start cutting characters as is(which is normal for sequels) and in the end they are giving 'em back through patches(something they have enough time to do without an annoying deadline) due to harassment and requests. It would be nice if Gamefreak weren't harassed about it, though.

There was really no option but to keep it tied together to make sure there's enough money made. Which sucks too.

FR though, why do you come into the thread repeating the same stuff in a single sentence. I've seen that gen 8 stuff be repeated for the past 3 or so months, you have made about 3 months worth of posts in a matter of days about how you think the ARMS character is delayed? You don't even go in depth about why you think it and sometimes you just go 'not happening' with stuff that could have a plausible chance of happening
They did give a reason for Gen VIII, to be fair. It's a poor one, but it's a reason.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
The resource is "time" and time alone. That's the only thing that would've worked. The anime does prove to be both detrimental and helpful. The series only released as an anime in some regions, and it wouldn't be a juggernaut franchise without the merchandise.

There was really no option but to keep it tied together to make sure there's enough money made.

They did give a reason for Gen VIII, to be fair. It's a poor one, but it's a reason.
I guess but I still think it's kind of unnecessary to come in with one sentenced posts constantly saying what they think is happening and what isn't happening with not much else to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom