• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Welp, since no one seems to care enough to bring them up, I'll be the guy.

Anyone think the presentation will reveal the first few amiibo of the DLC characters? It's been a little over a year since Joker was released, so I think Joker and Hero should just about be ready. Possibly Banjo too.

Last edited:

DougEfresh

Smash Journeyman
Question: When 6 releases, regardless of which ARMs character it is, will you play them or nah? Especially for those who have played ARMs and understand the mechanics to have an idea of how they would translate to smash, do you think their hypothetical moveset and playstyle would be interesting enough to try maining?
Never played ARMs, but I figure I'll try the character out for a bit at least. Even if I'm not thrilled about the character him/herself, it does seem interesting from gameplay design perspective. I highly doubt I'll main them though, since I already have 3 characters I try to play seriously (Lucario, Shulk and Banjo) and that's arguably quite a lot to handle already. Playing them for a bit to understand the character better to help learn the match up could be fun and valuable, though.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So I kept thinking about yesterday's discussion about a female-only Smash game, and I made my definitive version of such a roster. Behold:
IMG-20200616-WA0009.jpg

Now, the order and selection of characters will probably look a little odd, but there was a method. The amount of characters is the same as Ultimate will have at the end of FP2 (but Echoes aren't taken into account). And I crafted the roster game by game, trying to match each Smash game's roster as closely as I could. That meant that characters for each game had to have debuted before the game's release (obviously), and each Smash game has the same amount of characters. I also kept third parties off-limits until Brawl, and kept the number of them identical to their real counterparts for Brawl and Smash 4 (with Ultimate I kinda ran out of first party ladies, so it was either some deep cuts that only I'd like, 2 more ARMS characters, or just a third party blowout - I went with the latter).

I'll put the more in-depth explanation in spoilers because I tend to ramble, and also because I can't imagine many people being interested in my alternate universe Smash roster. But here goes regardless!

Super Smash Sis. (N64)

This was the easiest. For one, it has very few characters, and with how long they've been in the series it's easy to find comparisons. Also, this is pretty early on in gaming history, female characters, especially as protagonists, weren't widespread as they are now, and with third-parties being off-limits, the pool was pretty reduced.

I tried to keep the series selection as similar as I could, including the amount of characters per series. Peach being the Mario of this Smash makes all the sense, and Daisy being her Luigi is pretty fitting. Pikachu and Jigglypuff get to stay, as does Samus, obviously. We get Zelda instead of Link, Dixie Kong instead of Donkey Kong, and that's already half the roster. Now the fun part begins.

Yoshi as a series has to be completely cut from Smash, as it has no feasible candidates. In its place is another platforming spin-off of Mario: Wario Land, with Captain Syrup.

Kirby will get Adeleine down the line, but Kirby 64 isn't out yet, so we need a replacement. And what better replacement than another series that Sakurai would get his hands on down the line? Palutena takes the place of the pink puffball.

Mach Rider is the Captain Falcon, as the super rad futuristic biker person, and Ayumi Tachibana takes Ness' place as the rep for an obscure trilogy (I guess in this universe Famicom Detective becomes recognized as a masterpiece and people in 2020 are still calling for a re-release of the Satellaview game).

1080° for Star Fox might seem like a weird match, but they're both series with linear gameplay (an on-rails shooter and a racing game), an emphasis placed on 3D graphics, and a more Western focus. Plus it also requires a moveset to be made up completely. Maybe 1080° works better as the F-Zero analogue and Mach Rider as the Star Fox analogue, but whatever.

Super Smash Sis. Melee

I had a problem with Melee. Since Melee came out so soon after 64, I ran out of characters that had actually debuted before Melee. Pretty much every potential candidate for 64 got in, plus the new characters created in the 2 years between the two, and still I was short of Melee's newcomer count (and it's the one with the least newcomers!). I had to choose between breaking the no-third parties rule and to pick from Nintendo characters with games in development (inspired by the Villager trophy in Melee, before Animal Crossing's Western release, and also Roy). It was one character, but I really didn't know who to choose, as the third party characters we know we're considered for Melee were Sonic and Snake (which both got into Brawl), Banjo-Kazooie (who got into Ultimate) and James Bond (obviously a no-go), so in the end I went with a first party.

While Mario got 3 newcomers in Melee, only one of its characters gets in here, Wendy Koopa (its fighter count gets compensated in Brawl). I figure her moveset would probably be based more on her boss fights in SMB3 and SMW, with the abilities of the other Koopalings being used to round out the moveset, but I guess the Clown Car isn't that out of the question as Bowser's did exist at the time.

Zelda got 4 newcomers in Melee, but only 2 in this Melee. Sheik joins the fray as Zelda's transformation, and Tetra gets in to promote the upcoming Wind Waker. As the game isn't out, they don't spoil that she's Zelda yet.

Medusa gets in because I needed someone to get in, but she fits well with Melee's focus on semiclones to fill gaps in the roster. Star Fox and Kirby get their first (and only) characters with Krystal and Adeleine. Krystal is there to promote Star Fox Adventures, and also as a sort of farewell to Rare, I guess.

Pokémon gets three newcomers, one from Gen 1 and two from the current Gen. Pichu still gets in, along with Eevee and Gardevoir. I wanted to keep Gardevoir for Brawl, but again, I needed newcomers.

Fire Emblem still gets in Melee, but this time it's Lyn instead of Roy who's promoting a future game. Interest in Lyn sparks demand for her game to be localized, it does, and history is preserved. As Lyn's moveset never gets cloned and her hair is green, Smash fans never hate Fire Emblem. The galaxy is at peace.

Bubbles and Lip fill the Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch's roles of retro-ish characters. Honestly, you could swap these two for the Ness and Falcon stand-ins and it'd fit as well. Bubbles I chose because she's also from the NES and would have slippery movement like the Icies, plus she was in consideration for that spot in real life. In all honesty, Lip might fit better as the Ness and Ayumi as the G&W, given how Lip is SNES like Ness and how Ayumi was actually considered for Melee. That one could go either way.

Villager and Alexandra round out the roster as representatives of the Gamecube's future and its variety in tone and gameplay. Yeah, this is a fancy way to say that they're there because I needed characters. In this alternate universe Nintendo re-released Eternal Darkness on the Wii and it got a sequel that flopped, Sin & Punishment style.

Instead of Star Fox, Smash fans accuse Pokemon of favoritism.

Super Smash Sis. Brawl

Brawl is kind of a divergence in time, you can see that a lot of characters that got into 4 get into Brawl this time around, plus another bunch of characters that are still demanded and speculated about to this day. While nobody gets in that couldn't have, getting so many characters the first time around will have the effect of me running out of first party characters come Ultimate.

I said that Mario's roster would get compensated. While it didn't get newcomers and in fact lost a fighter in real Brawl, this Brawl sees Toadette and Rosalina get in. Rosalina plays pretty much the same, and Toadette is the spin-off rep, using stuff from the Kart and Party games. Much like Rosalina, Wii Fit Trainer also gets in a game early. Think of her as the ROB stand-in.

Zelda gets the one-two punch of Toon Zelda and Midna. Since Phantom Hourglass is already out, Toon Zelda plays like an expanded version of our Zelda's down B, and isn't a transformation for Tetra.

Pokémon Trainer still gets in, it's just Leaf, maybe with alts of other female trainers like Dawn, and don't ask me what Pokemon she uses because I don't know.

WarioWare gets its first reps in this game as well, but it gets two: Mona and Ashley. I originally put Ashley as debuting in Smash 4 when she was at the top of her game, but Brawl had a lot of newcomers and I had to use everything I had.

Zero Suit Samus is the same, nothing to comment there.

Third parties make their debut! I wanted to keep the same two franchises, as their getting into Brawl was very much because of special circumstances (Sakurai and Kojima's friendship and Sonic being, well, Sonic). When it came to a Sonic character it was super easy to pick Amy, but as you can see there's no Metal Gear character. I considered the likes of The Boss and EVA, but since you never play as them they felt like suboptimal representatives of the series. As I wanted to keep the "character with guns" motif, I went with Resident Evil and Jill Valentine. With all that happens with Konami afterwards and without Snake's demand to get them a foot in the door for Ultimate, Konami never gets a playable character in Smash.

The biggest difference is that Mii Fighters get into Brawl. I know, that technically makes Brawl have two more newcomers and Smash 4 have two less than in real life. I got nothing to say in my defense, I needed Brawl characters and the Miis were just too good.

Starly, Barbara, Ashley Robbins and Jill round out the roster and are consistent with Brawl's additions of new franchises. The Ashleys and the Jills ensure that there's never a fanrule that characters can't share a name. Sami was added after the entire roster was complete when I realized I was still missing a Brawl character, so I moved her from 4. In this alternate universe Advance Wars is also a cash cow for Intelligent Systems because it's my timeline and I can do what I want with it.

Instead of Kirby, Smash fans accuse WarioWare of favoritism.

Super Smash Sis. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U

This was super easy, mostly because I had more or less the amount of first party characters I needed. The timeline's kind of wonky with this one, though, so some characters for base roster are now promotional picks for future games.

Isabelle gets in a game early, and so does Inkling. Inkling was originally being saved for Ultimate, but when I moved Sami to Brawl I needed someone to move here, and Inkling was the obvious choice. Brittany gets in as the first Pikmin character, Viridi joins Kid Icarus' roster (this making it two uniques and one clone, just like the actual one), Fiora gets in instead of Shulk (and spoils Xenoblade to everyone).

The Fire Emblem additions are the same, but they're much better received, as Lucina isn't a clone of anyone, she's the first regular swordfighter and the first blue-haired Lord, and Chrom being skipped is perfectly understandable with the focus of this game. Corrin doesn't get in as I could never make a roster with Corrin on it; in her place, the DLC promotional first party character is Elma.

Fatal Frame, Fossil Fighters and Style Savvy get characters. Fossil Fighter isn't a Pokemon Trainer thing with multiple characters but rather a Joker-like thing. Nikki also gets in, as does Qucy as a kind of early bird rep for BoxBoy (I really thought she should go, but my need for a last first party character and my love for the series won out in the end). This keeps the real Smash 4's focus on current series and modern characters.

The third parties are kept intact. In lieu of Mega Man and Pac-Man, Roll and Ms. Pac-Man get in the base roster. It was hard to pick between Roll and Tron Bonne, but I figured Roll would make a better first choice being from the vanilla series. I wanted to include Tron later, but she was out-prioritized (Capcom as a whole got the shaft, despite having one more unique character, as you will see Monster Hunter and Amaterasu didn't get in either - me overcompensating for my Capcom bias, perhaps). Likewise, the DLC sees Ryu swapped for Chun-Li, Cloud for Terra, and Bayo stays.

Instead of Fire Emblem, Smash fans are pissed off at Xenoblade. This marks the true point of divergence between timelines, clearly.

Super Smash Sis. Ultimate

With Ultimate I went all out with third parties. Even if all of Fighter Pass 2 is third party save for ARMS, there'd still be a couple more third parties in this roster. Like I said, it was either that, having Twintelle and Dr. Coyle, or characters like Aisya from ASH and Freya from Zangeki no Reginleiv. I added enough of my obscure first party picks in the previous games, so for balance's sake I went with third parties, and even then I had to forego some characters I really wanted like Ivy Valentine and Chell. Characters this time around don't really fill in that directly for others, but rather different characters fit their roles.

Inkling got into Smash 4, so her role as the Splatoon newcomer is filled by Octoling, who also fills Ken's role as the Echo in name only. Her appearance is based on the Octo Expansion Octoling, but I was too lazy to make a new icon for the roster maker.

Shantae fills Ridley's role as the popular character with a mostly Western appeal. It fits pretty well, given both characters appear in Metroidvanias and are associated with the color purple.

Castlevania's place as the series introduced with two characters is filled by ARMS, which gets in the base roster this time around.

Chrom and Dark Samus being Eastern and Western picks is kinda what I was going for with Arle and Lara, but YMMV on if I succeeded. Their roles as Echoes, along with Richter as the first third party Echo, are covered by Jeanne.

Tethi and Musashi are sort of stand-ins for Isabelle and Incineroar, being reps for very recent games. Kasumi is there because... Well, I don't know. Dead or Alive was originally the Castlevania replacement before I decided ARMS fit it better, and she just stayed there.

Kissy might seem like a really random choice, and I think many might not even know who she is. She's the first female protagonist in a videogame! Tell me she doesn't belong in this roster.

DLC is more structured about what characters replace which.

Carmen is Piranha Plant, as the character few had considered and yet people agree is famous enough to make sense.

Instead of Joker, we get a character from a different old school Sega series, Blaze from Streets of Rage. Instead of DQ, we get another Square Enix traditional RPG franchise, Bravely Default, with Agnes as the rep.

Rare's character was hard to choose, as Gruntilda was the obvious choice for a female Banjo-Kazooie rep, but it makes sense that in a universe where Smash is for female characters only, Perfect Dark would build massive support instead of B-K. I really wanted to include Joanna or Grunty in Smash 64, but the decades of wishing for a Rare character are such a big part of the Smash mythos that I thought I should try to keep that.

Instead of SNK, the Japanese series with very local appeal and yet widespread influence, that people decry for being obscure and unknown, is Touhou. And rounding out Pass 1 is Byleth, much like in real life.

To start the second Pass, instead of ARMS, the modern first party that not many expected is Astral Chain. After that, I just included the characters I felt were the best fit in order of "hype" they'd create. Marina was a last minute addition, and I thought about replacing her with someone else, but in the end she was the perfect combination of Nintendo presence and being the kind of weird and potentially disappointing choice that characterizes the last character in a given Smash game.

I considered having Aloy or Ellie for a Sony rep, but at this point that's still wishful thinking so I went back on it.

So that's it! Took a long time to type and even longer to make, but it sure as hell was entertaining. If you read all the way here, damn, I must have done something right. Thanks a bunch.

Now I wonder what Lesley would think of this roster...

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

Anyone think the presentation will reveal the first few amiibo of the DLC characters? It's been a little over a year since Joker was released, so I think Joker and Hero should just about be ready. Possibly Banjo too.
I think that this won't happen for a long time because of COVID-19.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

To be honest, we don't really know what the Amiibo situation is. In my opinion, there's a decent chance the new ones will show up, but there's also a good chance they won't. COVID-19 or no.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Well if we're going off the source material where Blades are playable, it would just be Mythra, as Pyra does not exist in the DLC.
Solo Mythra is a thing in Torna - the Blades wield their assigned weapons instead of passing them on to the driver
Yeah that's true. Still don't like the idea that much, especially for the fact that it gained popularity BEFORE any blades were playable that aren't spoilers.
So I kept thinking about yesterday's discussion about a female-only Smash game, and I made my definitive version of such a roster. Behold:
View attachment 275016
Now, the order and selection of characters will probably look a little odd, but there was a method. The amount of characters is the same as Ultimate will have at the end of FP2 (but Echoes aren't taken into account). And I crafted the roster game by game, trying to match each Smash game's roster as closely as I could. That meant that characters for each game had to have debuted before the game's release (obviously), and each Smash game has the same amount of characters. I also kept third parties off-limits until Brawl, and kept the number of them identical to their real counterparts for Brawl and Smash 4 (with Ultimate I kinda ran out of first party ladies, so it was either some deep cuts that only I'd like, 2 more ARMS characters, or just a third party blowout - I went with the latter).

I'll put the more in-depth explanation in spoilers because I tend to ramble, and also because I can't imagine many people being interested in my alternate universe Smash roster. But here goes regardless!

Super Smash Sis. (N64)

This was the easiest. For one, it has very few characters, and with how long they've been in the series it's easy to find comparisons. Also, this is pretty early on in gaming history, female characters, especially as protagonists, weren't widespread as they are now, and with third-parties being off-limits, the pool was pretty reduced.

I tried to keep the series selection as similar as I could, including the amount of characters per series. Peach being the Mario of this Smash makes all the sense, and Daisy being her Luigi is pretty fitting. Pikachu and Jigglypuff get to stay, as does Samus, obviously. We get Zelda instead of Link, Dixie Kong instead of Donkey Kong, and that's already half the roster. Now the fun part begins.

Yoshi as a series has to be completely cut from Smash, as it has no feasible candidates. In its place is another platforming spin-off of Mario: Wario Land, with Captain Syrup.

Kirby will get Adeleine down the line, but Kirby 64 isn't out yet, so we need a replacement. And what better replacement than another series that Sakurai would get his hands on down the line? Palutena takes the place of the pink puffball.

Mach Rider is the Captain Falcon, as the super rad futuristic biker person, and Ayumi Tachibana takes Ness' place as the rep for an obscure trilogy (I guess in this universe Famicom Detective becomes recognized as a masterpiece and people in 2020 are still calling for a re-release of the Satellaview game).

1080° for Star Fox might seem like a weird match, but they're both series with linear gameplay (an on-rails shooter and a racing game), an emphasis placed on 3D graphics, and a more Western focus. Plus it also requires a moveset to be made up completely. Maybe 1080° works better as the F-Zero analogue and Mach Rider as the Star Fox analogue, but whatever.

Super Smash Sis. Melee

I had a problem with Melee. Since Melee came out so soon after 64, I ran out of characters that had actually debuted before Melee. Pretty much every potential candidate for 64 got in, plus the new characters created in the 2 years between the two, and still I was short of Melee's newcomer count (and it's the one with the least newcomers!). I had to choose between breaking the no-third parties rule and to pick from Nintendo characters with games in development (inspired by the Villager trophy in Melee, before Animal Crossing's Western release, and also Roy). It was one character, but I really didn't know who to choose, as the third party characters we know we're considered for Melee were Sonic and Snake (which both got into Brawl), Banjo-Kazooie (who got into Ultimate) and James Bond (obviously a no-go), so in the end I went with a first party.

While Mario got 3 newcomers in Melee, only one of its characters gets in here, Wendy Koopa (its fighter count gets compensated in Brawl). I figure her moveset would probably be based more on her boss fights in SMB3 and SMW, with the abilities of the other Koopalings being used to round out the moveset, but I guess the Clown Car isn't that out of the question as Bowser's did exist at the time.

Zelda got 4 newcomers in Melee, but only 2 in this Melee. Sheik joins the fray as Zelda's transformation, and Tetra gets in to promote the upcoming Wind Waker. As the game isn't out, they don't spoil that she's Zelda yet.

Medusa gets in because I needed someone to get in, but she fits well with Melee's focus on semiclones to fill gaps in the roster. Star Fox and Kirby get their first (and only) characters with Krystal and Adeleine. Krystal is there to promote Star Fox Adventures, and also as a sort of farewell to Rare, I guess.

Pokémon gets three newcomers, one from Gen 1 and two from the current Gen. Pichu still gets in, along with Eevee and Gardevoir. I wanted to keep Gardevoir for Brawl, but again, I needed newcomers.

Fire Emblem still gets in Melee, but this time it's Lyn instead of Roy who's promoting a future game. Interest in Lyn sparks demand for her game to be localized, it does, and history is preserved. As Lyn's moveset never gets cloned and her hair is green, Smash fans never hate Fire Emblem. The galaxy is at peace.

Bubbles and Lip fill the Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch's roles of retro-ish characters. Honestly, you could swap these two for the Ness and Falcon stand-ins and it'd fit as well. Bubbles I chose because she's also from the NES and would have slippery movement like the Icies, plus she was in consideration for that spot in real life. In all honesty, Lip might fit better as the Ness and Ayumi as the G&W, given how Lip is SNES like Ness and how Ayumi was actually considered for Melee. That one could go either way.

Villager and Alexandra round out the roster as representatives of the Gamecube's future and its variety in tone and gameplay. Yeah, this is a fancy way to say that they're there because I needed characters. In this alternate universe Nintendo re-released Eternal Darkness on the Wii and it got a sequel that flopped, Sin & Punishment style.

Super Smash Sis. Brawl

Brawl is kind of a divergence in time, you can see that a lot of characters that got into 4 get into Brawl this time around, plus another bunch of characters that are still demanded and speculated about to this day. While nobody gets in that couldn't have, getting so many characters the first time around will have the effect of me running out of first party characters come Ultimate.

I said that Mario's roster would get compensated. While it didn't get newcomers and in fact lost a fighter in real Brawl, this Brawl sees Toadette and Rosalina get in. Rosalina plays pretty much the same, and Toadette is the spin-off rep, using stuff from the Kart and Party games. Much like Rosalina, Wii Fit Trainer also gets in a game early. Think of her as the ROB stand-in.

Zelda gets the one-two punch of Toon Zelda and Midna. Since Phantom Hourglass is already out, Toon Zelda plays like an expanded version of our Zelda's down B, and isn't a transformation for Tetra.

Pokémon Trainer still gets in, it's just Leaf, maybe with alts of other female trainers like Dawn, and don't ask me what Pokemon she uses because I don't know.

WarioWare gets its first reps in this game as well, but it gets two: Mona and Ashley. I originally put Ashley as debuting in Smash 4 when she was at the top of her game, but Brawl had a lot of newcomers and I had to use everything I had.

Third parties make their debut! I wanted to keep the same two franchises, as their getting into Brawl was very much because of special circumstances (Sakurai and Kojima's friendship and Sonic being, well, Sonic). When it came to a Sonic character it was super easy to pick Amy, but as you can see there's no Metal Gear character. I considered the likes of The Boss and EVA, but since you never play as them they felt like suboptimal representatives of the series. As I wanted to keep the "character with guns" motif, I went with Resident Evil and Jill Valentine. With all that happens with Konami afterwards and without Snake's demand to get them a foot in the door for Ultimate, Konami never gets a playable character in Smash.

The biggest difference is that Mii Fighters get into Brawl. I know, that technically makes Brawl have two more newcomers and Smash 4 have two less than in real life. I got nothing to say in my defense, I needed Brawl characters and the Miis were just too good.

Starly, Barbara, Ashley Robbins and Jill round out the roster and are consistent with Brawl's additions of new franchises. The Ashleys and the Jills ensure that there's never a fanrule that characters can't share a name. Sami was added after the entire roster was complete when I realized I was still missing a Brawl character, so I moved her from 4. In this alternate universe Advance Wars is also a cash cow for Intelligent Systems because it's my timeline and I can do what I want with it.

This was super easy, mostly because I had more or less the amount of first party characters I needed. The timeline's kind of wonky with this one, though, so some characters for base roster are now promotional picks for future games.

Isabelle gets in a game early, and so does Inkling. Inkling was originally being saved for Ultimate, but when I moved Sami to Brawl I needed someone to move here, and Inkling was the obvious choice. Brittany gets in as the first Pikmin character, Viridi joins Kid Icarus' roster (this making it two uniques and one clone, just like the actual one), Fiora gets in instead of Shulk (and spoils Xenoblade to everyone).

The Fire Emblem additions are the same, but they're much better received, as Lucina isn't a clone of anyone, she's the first regular swordfighter and the first blue-haired Lord, and Chrom being skipped is perfectly understandable with the focus of this game. Corrin doesn't get in as I could never make a roster with Corrin on it; in her place, the DLC promotional first party character is Elma.

Fatal Frame, Fossil Fighters and Style Savvy get characters. Fossil Fighter isn't a Pokemon Trainer thing with multiple characters but rather a Joker-like thing. Nikki also gets in, as does Qucy as a kind of early bird rep for BoxBoy (I really thought she should go, but my need for a last first party character and my love for the series won out in the end). This keeps the real Smash 4's focus on current series and modern characters.

The third parties are kept intact. In lieu of Mega Man and Pac-Man, Roll and Ms. Pac-Man get in the base roster. It was hard to pick between Roll and Tron Bonne, but I figured Roll would make a better first choice being from the vanilla series. I wanted to include Tron later, but she was out-prioritized (Capcom as a whole got the shaft, despite having one more unique character, as you will see Monster Hunter and Amaterasu didn't get in either - me overcompensating for my Capcom bias, perhaps). Likewise, the DLC sees Ryu swapped for Chun-Li, Cloud for Terra, and Bayo stays.

Instead of Fire Emblem, Smash fans are pissed off at Xenoblade. This marks the true point of divergence between timelines, clearly.

With Ultimate I went all out with third parties. Even if all of Fighter Pass 2 is third party save for ARMS, there'd still be a couple more third parties in this roster. Like I said, it was either that, having Twintelle and Dr. Coyle, or characters like Aisya from ASH and Freya from Zangeki no Reginleiv. I added enough of my obscure first party picks in the previous games, so for balance's sake I went with third parties, and even then I had to forego some characters I really wanted like Ivy Valentine and Chell. Characters this time around don't really fill in that directly for others, but rather different characters fit their roles.

Inkling got into Smash 4, so her role as the Splatoon newcomer is filled by Octoling, who also fills Ken's role as the Echo in name only. Her appearance is based on the Octo Expansion Octoling, but I was too lazy to make a new icon for the roster maker.

Shantae fills Ridley's role as the popular character with a mostly Western appeal. It fits pretty well, given both characters appear in Metroidvanias and are associated with the color purple.

Castlevania's place as the series introduced with two characters is filled by ARMS, which gets in the base roster this time around.

Chrom and Dark Samus being Eastern and Western picks is kinda what I was going for with Arle and Lara, but YMMV on if I succeeded. Their roles as Echoes, along with Richter as the first third party Echo, are covered by Jeanne.

Tethi and Musashi are sort of stand-ins for Isabelle and Incineroar, being reps for very recent games. Kasumi is there because... Well, I don't know. Dead or Alive was originally the Castlevania replacement before I decided ARMS fit it better, and she just stayed there.

Kissy might seem like a really random choice, and I think many might not even know who she is. She's the first female protagonist in a videogame! Tell me she doesn't belong in this roster.

Carmen is Piranha Plant, as the character few had considered and yet people agree is famous enough to make sense.

Instead of Joker, we get a character from a different old school Sega series, Blaze from Streets of Rage. Instead of DQ, we get another Square Enix traditional RPG franchise, Bravely Default, with Agnes as the rep.

Rare's character was hard to choose, as Gruntilda was the obvious choice for a female Banjo-Kazooie rep, but it makes sense that in a universe where Smash is for female characters only, Perfect Dark would build massive support instead of B-K. I really wanted to include Joanna or Grunty in Smash 64, but the decades of wishing for a Rare character are such a big part of the Smash mythos that I thought I should try to keep that.

Instead of SNK, the Japanese series with very local appeal and yet widespread influence, that people decry for being obscure and unknown, is Touhou. And rounding out Pass 1 is Byleth, much like in real life.

To start the second Pass, instead of ARMS, the modern first party that not many expected is Astral Chain. After that, I just included the characters I felt were the best fit in order of "hype" they'd create. Marina was a last minute addition, and I thought about replacing her with someone else, but in the end she was the perfect combination of Nintendo presence and being the kind of weird and potentially disappointing choice that characterizes the last character in a given Smash game.

I considered having Aloy or Ellie for a Sony rep, but at this point that's still wishful thinking so I went back on it.

So that's it! Took a long time to type and even longer to make, but it sure as hell was entertaining. If you read all the way here, damn, I must have done something right. Thanks a bunch.

Funny how we both included Eevee in these rosters. Not really the biggest fan of including that many third parties, but most of them are prominent characters I also thought about so I can't really blame you for those.

Last edited:

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
We will see an announcement on amiibo sometime soon I’m hopeful that there making the dlc characters would really surprise me if no the have made everyone so far so to stop now would stink for the fans of not only amiibo but the characters that didn’t get any

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Funny how we both included Eevee in these rosters. Not really the biggest fan of including that many third parties, but most of them are prominent characters I also thought about so I can't really blame you for those.
Yeah, I'm also more of a first party guy, so I wish I could've come up with a more first party centered roster I still felt comfortable with.

By the way, Delphox and Jade are really good ideas. Wish I'd thought of those.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
People keep thinking they delayed the ARMS fighter but I don't think so. They wouldn't wait this late into June to tell us there's a delay. If there was a delay they would have told us right away. I don't ever remember Nintendo holding off on informing us of delays. They tell us as soon as they can.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
It's really difficult to go by just Nico Nico (I'm not as well-versed with Japanese websites as I am with Chinese) but when it comes to ARMS a lot of the focus is on the usual suspects (Helix has a bigger presence in the Japanese fanbase, it seems). There are quite a few speculation vids on Nico Nico, after all.

As for FP2, well, you're in luck. There's this video, which is glorious. And not just because it's 269 minutes (screenshot at 11:12) - but also because it was streamed:

View attachment 274989

I know, this is just one example (and a pretty extreme one just by length alone). It's also not the only video on this topic, as said. But still. 11 / 10 material right off the bat. And before you ask, avatars like the 3D hamburger's pretty common in Japanese streams and videos.

Timestamps if anyone is curious (Google Image Search did fail a couple times, but the character list's 99 % there):

ARMS: 20:35
Smash 4 Mii Costumes (with FP1's Costumes brought up): 52:22
Bandai Namco: 58:09 (Tales Of at 63:45, Digimon at 79:40, Miscellaneous Bamco IP at 95:37.)
Spike Chunsoft: 102:22 (Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer)
Taito: 106:28 (Yes, Space Invaders)
Activision Blizzard: 109:50 (Tracer, Crash, CoD - Spyro's notably absent.)
Koei Tecmo: 120:50 (Hayabusa, Nioh, Dynasty Warriors, Atelier, Samurai Warriors)
From Software: 132:00 (Dark Souls, Sekiro)
Level 5: 138:15 (Layton, Inazuma Eleven, Yo-Kai Watch)
Disney: 143:16 (Sora)
Capcom: 147:38 (154:54 is where he focuses on Capcom) (Dante, Phoenix, Amaterasu, Monster Hunter, RE, he inserts Arthur and Firebrand later on)
SEGA: 167:38 (Kiryu, Arle, Segata Sanshiro, he inserts Sakura Wars - both old-school and PS4.)
Square-Enix: 178:06 (Lara Croft, 2B, Bravely Default, Chrono Trigger, he inserts Geno about a minute or two in)
Nintendo: 183:12 (Rex + Pyra / Mythra, Karate Joe, Paper Mario, Dragalia Lost, BWD, Astral Chain, Porky, the GBA Napoleon game (judging by the Napoleon hanafuda card) )
Pokemon Company: 196:30 (Gen 8 starters, Urshifu, Calyrex, Zarude. No Toxicrity nor Zacian / Zamanzeta)

Characters that he didn't make specific slides for, but are visible / talked about:

Steve
Master Chief
Raiden (Metal Gear)
Doomguy
Bomberman
Reimu
Hollow Knight
Quote (Cave Story)
Cadence (CotND)
Shantae
Riki (Kunio-Kun)
(I believe FallOut? Video's capped at 360P, so it's difficult to tell.)

He comes up with several possible FP2s: 205:00, 212:50, he spends at least 15 minutes debating before going with his final FP2 at the 250 minute mark (No Spoilering because this is dedication). Mii Costume guesses at 252:58.

So yes, this dude went and ran a Smash Speculation Marathon. This was live-streamed for more than 4 hours without pause. Yes, one person - but it's undeniable proof that speculation can reach some strange heights over there too. And it's probably the most comprehensive video.
I think we should crown this guy the King of Smash Speculation. He did the 4 hour marathon and weighed about 70 options, he's earned it.

Out of curiosity, do you know what the axises in his chart are? Could be a fun way to organize future thoughts on what could happen in Fighter's Pass 2.

Last edited:

Clyceer

Smash Rookie
Out of curiosity, do you know what the axises in his chart are?
But for people that want to go through the 4 hour long adventure, to give you an idea of which characters he's in favour for, the axes of the graph SKX31 provided say:
Most Wanted Challenger (upper axis)
Unlikely (left side of the horizontal axis) <-> Likely (right side of the horizontal axis)
Least Wanted Challenger (lower axis)​

Slime Master

Smash Ace
We're close enough to the would-be release at this point that if there is a delay, Nintendo already has it planned (and probably has for a while). I can't really think of a reason why they wouldn't announce it the moment they finalized the delay plans, but IDK much about marketing so...

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The wait would be much more bearable if there was some communication regarding the character.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Any "Super Bash Sisters" without Sami is a waste of time.

Dukemon

Smash Apprentice
What do you think is this ominous list Sakurai mentioned (did he?) during first fighter pass? Was this list reused for second fighter pass?
When Nintendo created this list for him , was this list a "fighters we are okay with them should they be added" or "company XY is aware they could get evenutally an invitation from Sakurai"?

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Nothing new. Just horns.

Last edited:

andree123

Smash Ace
Horny spirit event
EDIT: Too late

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
What do you think is this ominous list Sakurai mentioned (did he?) during first fighter pass? Was this list reused for second fighter pass?
When Nintendo created this list for him , was this list a "fighters we are okay with them should they be added" or "company XY is aware they could get evenutally an invitation from Sakurai"?
I feel like it's "Just a list of characters Sakurai wanted but didn't work out". So ones he couldn't get due to licensing or ones never suggested, mainly.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Super Smash Sis. (N64)
Mach Rider
oh man i did not want to remember the mach rider gender wars at all

1592355717315.png

personally i think it's ****ing nuts if it's true (i'm pretty sure it's unconfirmed), what kind of muscle suit would she be wearing if that was the case

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Horny spirit event
Seeing the word horny made me thought of something.
Edit: Say no to ARMS, yes to HORNS

Last edited:

Neverx

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5778-5302-2215
Horny spirit event
Dang it been hoping for a brand new spirit event it's been a while since the last brand new spirit was added but I''m assuming everything is backed up because of the virus.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
In a way, I'm glad that we're getting generic spirit events since it means some our most wanted characters won't be spirited away.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
No new spirits = no care for me
you say that like it's a revolutionary concept and not something 90% of the population agrees with you with

i honestly don't know who still enjoys the single-player spirit fights, it's been a year and a half now :dr^_^:

Nanami77

Banned via Warnings
Dang it been hoping for a brand new spirit event it's been a while since the last brand new spirit was added but I''m assuming everything is backed up because of the virus.
Said this before, but the virus isn’t an excuse anymore for delays. Nearly every other company has adapted in some way shape or form.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Wow, you're telling me they'll add a random Warframe spirit in an event, but they'll skip on an opportunity to include a character who would've been a perfect fit for this event just on name alone.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Wow, you're telling me they'll add a random Warframe spirit in an event, but they'll skip on an opportunity to include a character who would've been a perfect fit for this event just on name alone.
The Devil is already in the game.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

Nothing new. Just horns.
NOOOOOOOOO!

:214:Heracross is deconfirmed! My favourite fighting type!

NOOOOOOO!!!

BRB Imma go complain on Sakurai's twitter! D:<

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
User was warned for this post; spam

Nothing new. Just horns.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

Nothing new. Just horns.
I approve of this event theme

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
View attachment 275016

Super Smash Sis. (N64)

Super Smash Sis. Melee

Super Smash Sis. Brawl

Pretty dang good list, but Tifa should definitely be in that roster.

VGPhaze

Smash Apprentice
NNID
philms91
3DS FC
2664-2113-7159
I’m stiiill betting on the ARMS rep coming on the 29th at the earliest.

i really hope it happens sooner as a pleasant suprise cause I’m itching for it.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
oh man i did not want to remember the mach rider gender wars at all

View attachment 275030

personally i think it's ****ing nuts if it's true (i'm pretty sure it's unconfirmed), what kind of muscle suit would she be wearing if that was the case
Yeah, it's unconfirmed, but I choose to believe that Mach Rider and the chick with the knife are the same person. Dunno why but I think that makes Mach Rider much cooler.
In a way, I'm glad that we're getting generic spirit events since it means some our most wanted characters won't be spirited away.
*sees the new pfp*
Damn dude the wait's really getting to you huh?
Pretty dang good list, but Tifa should definitely be in that roster.
Tifa's kind of a boring choice to me, I know she's super iconic and everything but moveset-wise she feels too bland. I thought it wouldn't be a good look if I had a female FF character and didn't go with one that's actually the protagonist of a game.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
I’ve heard rumblings on Japan Internet that the ARMS fighter has been delayed to July. Just rumblings and nothing concrete. Just people speculating like us.
Feel like if that was the case we'd know already. It would really suck if they announced that next week instead of earlier in the month

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom