• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
So since we're almost there(hopefully at least) anyone up for a game of most and least wanted characters from ARMS? I'll go:

Most Wanted - Helix
Least Wanted - Mechanica
Most Wanted - Spring Man
Least Wanted - Springtron

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So whose looking forward to another week of nothing again?

Here's to next week hopefully. Goodnight everyone.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
So since we're almost there(hopefully at least) anyone up for a game of most and least wanted characters from ARMS? I'll go:

Most Wanted - Helix
Least Wanted - Mechanica
Most Wanted: Min Min
-Favourite and Main

Least Wanted: Springtron
-like seriously wynaut Spring Man?

Come to think of it I'm fine with a decent number of fighters from Arms, I'd be fine seeing any of these characters
-Spring Man
-Ribbon Girl
-Ninjara
-Twintelle
-Helix
-Mechanica
-Kid Cobra

Others I'm indifferent.

♕Pretty Roger♕

God Roger
NNID
RogelioWii
3DS FC
0602-6365-8680
Switch FC
SW-2762-7992-4597
Most wanted: Ribbon Girl
Really happy: Twintelle, Mechanica, Lola Pop
Ok: Min min, Helix, Dr. Coyle, Byte and Barq
Sad: Springtron, Max Brass, Ninjara, Kid Cobra
Grossed out: Misango, Springman, Master mummy

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
They'll just drop a video on Twitter of Sakurai saying it's Spring Man on June 30th at 11:59 PM.
- Direct starts. Smash newcomer intro screen.

- Cut to Sakurai. He looks at the camera and says "It's Spring Man".

- Splash screen appears, followed by "Available now!"

- End trailer credits screen appears. Direct ends.

The reveal makes history as the shortest direct ever, at a sub-10 second mark.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
The next Smash game will be Super Smash Sisters and only include female characters.

not gender swap - just all of Nintendo’s female characters from mainstream to obscure and some third party guests.

Who will be on the roster??
Super Bash Sisters

Veteran Series
Mario+Yoshi- Peach, Daisy, Rosalina, Toadette, Pauline, Wendy Koopa, Pom Pom, Goombella, Baby Peach, Baby Daisy, Baby Rosalina, Pink Gold Peach, Princess Shroob, Cackletta
DK- Dixie, Tiny, Candy, Wrinkly
Wario- Ashley, Mona, Kat, Ana, Penny, 5-Volt, Captain Syrup
Legend Of Zelda- Zelda, Sheik(?), Tetra, Toon Zelda, Hilda, Phantom Zelda, Impa, Midna, Linkle, Umbrosa, Mipha
Metroid- Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Dark Samus (?), Mother Brain
Kid Icarus- Palutena, Virdi, Medusa, Phosphora, Pandora
Ice Climbers- Nana
Star Fox- Krystal
F-Zero- Jody Summers
Pokemon- Leaf, Pikachu Libra, Jigglypuff, Pichu, Nidoqueen, Vespiqueen, Froslass, Cynthia, Lusamine, Mallow, Whitney
Fire Emblem- Lucina, Anna, Lyn, Robin, Corrin, Byleth, Edlegard, Dorothea, Bernadette, Petra, Mercedes, Annette, Ingrid, Marianne, Hilda, Leonine, Camilla
Mother- Ana, Kumatora
Wii Fit- Wii Fit Trainer
Xenoblade- Elma, Fiora, Pyra, Mythra
Animal Crossing- Villager, Isabelle, Mabel, Sable, Label, Celeste, Daisy Mae, Joan, Phyllis, Coco, Ankha, Julia, Tia, Katt, Chrissy, Gwen, Pango
Splatoon- Inkling, Octoling, Marie, Callie, Pearl, Marina
Sonic- Amy Rose, Blaze, Rogue
Metal Gear- Big Boss
Megaman- Roll, Tron Bonne, Splash Woman
Pac-Man- Ms. Pac-Man
Street Fighter- Chun Li, Cammy
Final Fantasy- Tifa, Areith
Bayonetta- Bayonetta, Jean
Castlevania- Maria, Sonia
Persona- Futaba, Anne, Makoto, Haru
Dragon Quest- Heroine, Veronica
Banjo Kazooie- Gruntilda, Kazooie, Tooty
SNK- Mai, Athena, King, Nakoruru
Miis- Mii Gunner (Only Female Miis), Nikki

Newcomer Series
Jill Dozer
Shantae
Ring Fit Trainer
Junko, Kaede, Kyoko, Toko/Genocider, Komaru, Sayaka, Sakura, Aoi, Celeste, Mukuro, Ibuki, Mahiru, Peko, Hiyoko, Chiaki, Sonia, Akane, Mikan, Miu, Tsumugi, Kirumi, Angie, Tenko, Maki, Himiko, Usami
Undyne, Toriel, Alphys
Resident Evil- Jill, Claire
Lara Croft
Chell, Glad0s
Sheild Knight
Hat Kid
Ribbon Girl, Min Min, Twintelle, Dr. Coyle, Mechanica, Lola Pop
Wonder Pink
Lip
Arle
Sami
Ryhtem Heaven Reporter
Ivy Valetine
2B
Cooking Mama
Morrigan
Kairi
Eliza Pancakes, Bella Goth
Rabbid Peach
Tracer, Mercy, D'va, Widowmaker, Pharah, Mei, Orisa, Zarya, Anna, Moira, Symmetra, Echo, Sombra, Ashe, Brigitte
Style Savist Trendsetter
Starly
Commander Shepard
Polly, Vera, Miranda, Faith, Hope, Joy, Zoe, Dahlia, Violet, Valerie, Aaravi, Vicky, Amria

KillerCage

Smash Master

Most Wanted - Helix
Least Wanted - Mechanica
My most wanted: goes to either Min Min or Max Brass
My least wanted: Helix and Springtron (on principle.)

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Mario’s move set is absolutely fine as is; only things I REALLY want to change about Smash Mario are his voice clips and his bad attitude.

Mario’s had the same voice clips since Brawl and they sound like Charles Martinet had a nasty cold when he recorded them. Mario is such an energetic, bouncy character in almost every other game (pardon the pun), but in Smash he just sounds disinterested.

Beyond that, I’m just sick of how pissed off Mario looks 95% of the time in Smash. Yeah it makes for some funny memes, but it’s such a weird misrepresentation of the most iconic character in gaming. Even if they just gave him a small smile while idling to go along with his angry eyebrows, it would give the impression that he’s competitive (which is true to character) without coming across like a stone cold killer.
Mario having a serious expression in Smash isn't anywhere near as wild as extreme edge Strikers Mario which is the best interpretation of the character.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547

Most Wanted - Helix
Least Wanted - Mechanica
Most Wanted - Dr Coyle
Mind Blown: Rayman with Rayman as a third party newcomer to ARMS2.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

Most Wanted - Helix
Least Wanted - Mechanica
Most Wanted - Ribbon Girl

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
Kirby on the other hand, could benefit from receiving an overhaul not because his normals aren't good enough, but because of the extreme lack of emphasis on Copy Abilities. Like, no other character's trademark ability is it's worst move. My guess would be that this is because Copy Abilities are hard to balance with just one moveset. My solution: group the fighters into different categories, and have them give Kirby the most fitting cannon Copy Ability alongside their Neutral Special. This would essentially make Kirby into a collection of different Echo Fighters, allowing his normal moves to be balance around a smaller group of Neutral Specials rather than all 69+ at once.
The problem with buffing Kirby is that it would make him WAYYY overpowered to casual audiences. He's an extremely popular pick for them, because of how he survives easily with his flying, and with how Rock is such a difficult move to dodge/counter for beginners that have lower awareness. Few other characters can claim to have these strengths, bar Pikachu with his thunder maybe? I really wish we'd see more pro Kirby players, but they do exist still, and he's a fun character nonetheless (I did the whole World of Light with him, quite a blast).

I'm quite surprised to see so little use of Copy. It can add so much to his toolkit. And doesn't it counter a ton of projectiles as well? The frame data might not be amazing, but it should be useful every now and then, no?

Good suggestions on how to streamline Copy though, it could save the devs from the complications of adding Kirby content for every new released character.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
everyone saying "least wanted: springtron" knowing damn well they're jinxing themselves

Nanami77

Banned via Warnings
Ngl, any future investment in speculation for this game that didn’t take a hit from Arms is at stake within this month.

If its Springman alongside FP7 being Gen 8 or something like that, I’m done for good, lol

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Most Wanted - Dr Coyle
Mind Blown: Rayman with Rayman as a third party newcomer to ARMS2.
Half-Expecting: ARMS2 announcement with a new character, Balthus from the acclaimed Fire Emblem: Three Houses who will also be included in Smash along with a Fire Emblem-themed arena for ARMS. 50 minute presentation going into both Fire Emblem and ARMS but mostly Fire Emblem.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Most Wanted - Max Brass
Least Wanted - I don't dislike anyone, but I'm going to say the Hero Idea of the ARMS character

Happy 3rd anniversary ARMS!

Wait..............

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Most Wanted - Max Brass
Least Wanted - I don't dislike anyone, but I'm going to say the Hero Idea of the ARMS character

Wait..............
Found my next RTC noms

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
All four of the main Mario cast is portrayed oddly to be honest.
  • Peach is a dits, which isn't an odd interpretation of her typical damsel roles, but in any other game where her character is able to be fleshed out, she's much more of a strong willed character who tries to do her best with the hand she's been dealt than an airhead who cares more about the state of her dress than the giant hulking robot in front of her.
  • Luigi's timid traits are cranked up to eleven alongside other...quite odd traits. He's just a weird character in general here.
  • Mario looks pissed off all the time, which works in Mario Strikers since that's kinda the point, but not so much here.
  • Bowser is a Godzilla stand-in, and while I get why he's this way in Super Smash Bros. Melee, I don't really know why this characterization has persisted in the later games. It really doesn't fit him at all as even when he's being imposing, he's gloating about how huge he is or is in a flying contraption with a freaking clown motif of all things. He's also much more intelligent than Super Smash Bros. gives him credit for (though admittedly the dumb brute archetype is thrown on him at times). I mean, the dude's invented a flying vehicle, and was able to arrange a wedding that required artifacts and guests from around the world.
The problem with buffing Kirby is that it would make him WAYYY overpowered to casual audiences. He's an extremely popular pick for them, because of how he survives easily with his flying, and with how Rock is such a difficult move to dodge/counter for beginners that have lower awareness. Few other characters can claim to have these strengths, bar Pikachu with his thunder maybe? I really wish we'd see more pro Kirby players, but they do exist still, and he's a fun character nonetheless (I did the whole World of Light with him, quite a blast).

I'm quite surprised to see so little use of Copy. It can add so much to his toolkit. And doesn't it counter a ton of projectiles as well? The frame data might not be amazing, but it should be useful every now and then, no?

Good suggestions on how to streamline Copy though, it could save the devs from the complications of adding Kirby content for every new released character.
Not necessarily. Raising Kirby's skill ceiling without lowering his skill floor would allow him to be used in competitive play while not really getting buffed in casual play, and I think making the Copy Ability more central to the character would not only be more true to the Kirby series, but also give him more options in competitive play while not giving him overbearing ones in casual play.

Really I think Copy Abilities aren't used because Inhale is such a crappy move. It's useless as a way to get rid of projectiles due to the end lag, and it's incredibly difficult to hit opponents with in general let alone good ones. Even when you do land the move, it seems like spitting the opponent out for stage control is usually better than getting a different Neutral Specail that goes away if you get hit. The solution I propose would certainly be more work than what is done now (das alotta moveset variations on top of what's already done), but I feel it'd be easier to balance and would give players an incentive to use it.

Most Wanted - Helix
Least Wanted - Mechanica
Most Wanted - Customizable ARMS fighter (Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and Min Min. Picking one of these characters changes the character's traits, and then you can pick the ARMS you want them to use for their normal attacks.)
Least Wanted - Spring Man with Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and Min Min as alternate costumes.
Will Accept - Spring Man with just Ribbon Girl as an alternate costume, just Spring Man, just Min Min, and to a lesser extent, just Max Brass as well as just Dr. Coyle.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
nintendo: *releases games with new characters*

smash fans thinking its a sign:

View attachment 274933
And this is why Sakurai can't tell fans what games he play because speculation.
Edit: What I mean by is that everytime a new game happens, the Smash fandom act like rabid dogs when they speculate new games mean new characters. (Which is kinda stupid and idiotic.)

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Most Wanted - Max Brass

Wait..............
Jump Rope Rabbit for Smash. Calling it now. Cinderace Alt costume as well

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Honestly, I don't see why characters like Mario or Kirby would need to be reinvented. Are their movesets simpler mechanically than Smash for and Ultimate's new fighters? Sure, but not everyone needs to be have a complicated toolkit that relies on unique mechanics to standout. There's a lot of merit in having simple characters to help introduce new players to the game or to give people who prefer basic characters the option to use one. Ripping out that consistent flooring that's defined their Smash moveset since day 1 might draw a little attention to them, but it would more likely piss off a lot of people and make learning Smash more difficult.

The Smash 64/Melee/Brawl vets are (largely) still well represented in their movesets. Mario is the all-arounder you assume he would be and references most of his iconic abilities/games. Kirby's moveset does a good job of replicating the physics in his game and his various abilities to make a full moveset. Hell, I'd argue that Mario and Kirby match their home-series appearances better than some modern characters like :ultjoker: or :ultbyleth:. Really, the most vets need nothing, a few new tools to reference a recent release like :ultlink:, or some animation changes like :4bowser: or :4yoshi:. The only character who really needs to be reworked from the ground-up is :ultsonic:, just to give him a little more of his personality and some moves that aren't ripped from a different character or involve becoming a ball.
For Kirby, I can understand it considering his gimmick makes him from being a very simple character any newcomer can pick up with ease to a character that constantly gets new moves.

Anyway I had a dream that the ARMS character was a brand new character called Smoke, who looked like the Sonic 2 Oil Ocean octopus enemy. To make up for a delay, we got 2 more characters announced, a TMS character and a Bokoblin

BZocky

Smash Ace

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
ARMS: My anniversary is tomorrow! Nintendo, what am I getting this fine day?

Nintendo: FREE BUNNIES JUMP ROPING

ARMS: Wha-

Nintendo: *throws Spring Man and Friends in the trash and turns BunBun Rope Jumping into a full game with more activities and sports*

please bring back Spring Man and Friends.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
All four of the main Mario cast is portrayed oddly to be honest.
  • Peach is a dits, which isn't an odd interpretation of her typical damsel roles, but in any other game where her character is able to be fleshed out, she's much more of a strong willed character who tries to do her best with the hand she's been dealt than an airhead who cares more about the state of her dress than the giant hulking robot in front of her.
  • Luigi's timid traits are cranked up to eleven alongside other...quite odd traits. He's just a weird character in general here.
  • Mario looks pissed off all the time, which works in Mario Strikers since that's kinda the point, but not so much here.
  • Bowser is a Godzilla stand-in, and while I get why he's this way in Super Smash Bros. Melee, I don't really know why this characterization has persisted in the later games. It really doesn't fit him at all as even when he's being imposing, he's gloating about how huge he is or is in a flying contraption with a freaking clown motif of all things. He's also much more intelligent than Super Smash Bros. gives him credit for (though admittedly the dumb brute archetype is thrown on him at times). I mean, the dude's invented a flying vehicle, and was able to arrange a wedding that required artifacts and guests from around the world.
Luigi's weird traits in Smash are probably just an extension of his weird traits in other games, like his low friction when running in the main games and wackiness in the Paper Mario games.

Also, characters have been getting more expressive as with each Smash instalment. Mario actually alters his expression for some things, like taunting and jumping, compared to this poker face in Brawl. Is it just that he should be smiling more in his idle and some other animations?

TTF

Smash Journeyman

Most Wanted - Helix
Least Wanted - Mechanica
I like them all, but if you pulled my arm to choose:
Most Wanted - Twintelle
Least Wanted - Misango

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Luigi's weird traits in Smash are probably just an extension of his weird traits in other games, like his low friction when running in the main games and wackiness in the Paper Mario games.
Luigi has always been a silly and bumbling character, but actions like pulling on his nose to the point where he hurts himself is is different brand of this than what any other game has done with the character to the point where it's just...weird. He also has a bit of inconsistency in his actions where sometimes he'll act like he has no self confidence whatsoever, and others he'll be quite proud of himself while wielding finger guns (though granted this is more apparent within the Subspace Emissary).

Also, characters have been getting more expressive as with each Smash instalment. Mario actually alters his expression for some things, like taunting and jumping, compared to this poker face in Brawl. Is it just that he should be smiling more in his idle and some other animations?
In Mario's home series, he storms Bowser's castle and rescues Princess Peach with a hop, skip, and a "wahoo!" (and this is consistant within the RPGs as well for the most part), but in Super Smash Bros. he's more of a down to business character than he normally is. That's not to say he's never serious, but he's a lot more lively than he is in Super Smash Bros. That's also not to say that there weren't improvements either, but I still don't think he's where he should be in the characterization department.

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace

Most Wanted - Helix
Least Wanted - Mechanica
Most Wanted - Dr. Coyle tied with Lola Pop
Least Wanted - any spirit upgrades with Spring Man at the bottom.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom