• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
For the Switch I haven't gotten anything whatsoever.

Maybe I'm just playing the wrong games?
Which makes this so weird, as if Nintendo's focusing on DMC specifically. I'm allowed to be a conspiracy theorist for once in DLC specualtion but Itsuno going "Get DMC on the Switch before you ask for Dante in Smash", 3 getting new exclusive features and the decision to ask feedback on it? Oh yeah, it's all coming together

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Which makes this so weird, as if Nintendo's focusing on DMC specifically. I'm allowed to be a conspiracy theorist for once in DLC specualtion but Itsuno going "Get DMC on the Switch before you ask for Dante in Smash", 3 getting new exclusive features and the decision to ask feedback on it? Oh yeah, it's all coming together
Is it perhaps its not Nintendo focusing on it? But DMC's developers?

I can see that Capcom wants feedback while Nintendo simply lets them ask.

It would explain why seemingly nothing else had one.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
I have a game

what gaming genres are not yet represented through a character and if you had to choose one character to rep that genre who would it be?
right off the heels of the moveset i posted last page, i say get edward falcon in there to rep arena fighters

SKX31

Smash Master
I have a game

what gaming genres are not yet represented through a character and if you had to choose one character to rep that genre who would it be?
Puzzle games: Arle Nadja (Would also fittingly enough be the first Match-3 character)
RTS: Kerrigan (StarCraft, specifically her infested Zerg self.) primarily. Thrall (WarCraft) as 2nd - yea, my Blizzard fandom shows. Thrall would also be my primary MMORPG pick,
MOBA: A Dota 2 character is my pure want, but I also support LoL.
FPS: Master Chief or Gordon Freeman. Those two + Doomguy are the three prime candidates for opening this genre.
Open world Sandbox: Kiryu. With a GTA character (CJ primarily) and AC's Ezio not far behind.
Grand / Hybrid Strategy: Shogun (Total War) - SEGA's already featured him in All Star Racing Transformed, why not?

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So I had a weird dream last night

I dreamt Shantae was revealed for Smash and the Shantae thread was celebrating, but her reveal trailer was painfully underwhelming. It was so minimalist it made PP’s trailer look detailed

and I was like damn they deserve better

also she was individual DLC for some reason which was SUPER weird

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
We're on the last day of May until we enter June tomorrow.

We'll be in the Endgame everyone for who the ARMS rep might be!

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Technically Dark Samus originated in a First Person Shooter and Dark Pit from a Third Person Shooter :yoshi:
Metroid Prime is a First Person action adventure series, Not a shooter.

Wario is weird because he's two genres at once.

Platformer and minigame collection.
Wario debuted in Super Mario Land 2 and then had a playable debut in Wario Land so he originates from a platformer, regardless of Wario Ware.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Wario debuted in Super Mario Land 2 and then had a playable debut in Wario Land so he originates from a platformer, regardless of Wario Ware.
I'll let that pass, but I'm gonna have a hard time accepting that Banjo isn't a platformer.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
It's also part FPS seeing as you're in first person, and shooting as a part of the core gameplay loop.
You don't call Legend of Zelda a hack and slash just because it features slicing enemies with a sword right? There's more to Metroid Prime than just shooting. It features a lot of exploration and solving puzzles like the Zelda series so it's more or less an First Person action adventure series like Zelda.

Shooting is part of the game but not a central part of it unlike a true First Person Shooter like Doom.

I'll let that pass, but I'm gonna have a hard time accepting that Banjo isn't a platformer.
Platforming isn't a central part to Banjo & Kazooie. The game is more about exploring to find collectables so it's more of an action adventure type game. Sure there are times where you need to jump but it's not the defining feature of the game unlike the Mario series.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
You don't call Legend of Zelda a hack and slash just because it features slicing enemies with a sword right? There's more to Metroid Prime than just shooting. It features a lot of exploration and solving puzzles like the Zelda series so it's more or less an First Person action adventure series like Zelda.

Shooting is part of the game but not a central part of it unlike a true First Person Shooter like Doom.
No. The mechanics are much different from a hack 'n slash.

I never said it's a pure FPS. But the combat uses FPS style gameplay. Since the combat is a part of the core gameplay loop, the game is part FPS.

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice

Platforming isn't a central part to Banjo & Kazooie. The game is more about exploring to find collectables so it's more of an action adventure type game. Sure there are times where you need to jump but it's not the defining feature of the game unlike the Mario series.
I don't know which alternate dimension you're from, but saying Metroid Prime is not a shooter is really missing the target... Take away the shooting, and it becomes a 3D first person puzzler that is nothing like the original. Shooting is a KEY component of the series. Yes there's puzzles, and platforming, and games aren't limited to one thing, but ignoring the shooting part is like saying Metroid is the same as Amnesia, Dear Esther, or Antichamber... They share elements, but it's otherwise heretical to say the shooting aspect of Metroid doesn't make it stand out masively from those.

As for Banjo not being a platformer... Clearly you haven't even gone through the first tutorial area, because it certainly is a key aspect of it. It's like saying Super Mario 64 isn't a platformer... Sure, Banjo didn't have as many infinite pits of void at the edges of the world, and Banjo does have extra abilities instead of just jumping, but otherwise it's a major part of it, as well as the collection and "adventure" part.

D

Deleted member

It took me some time to get this done, but I finally have a visual representation of my predictions for Fighter Pass 2. I'm gonna post my picture and following suit will try to go a bit in-depth about my choices and why I feel they could potentially happen:

>Min Min seems to be someone who would please a good amount of Arms fans, and with her kicking attacks she seems like an easy Arms character to get added. Her Mii costumes would be associated with fighting games and Arms (Heihachi, Max Brass and Helix. With Ori being a Deluxe Mii costume).

>Considering the possibility of Min Min getting added, I can imagine Sakurai opening the gates for spirit/assist trophy promotions at least for one pick in the past. My picture shows Geno, Waluigi and Rayman but It could easily be any other Spirit or assist. The Mii would be related to assist and spirits too (Mallow, Bomberman, Pauline and Shovel Knight).

>Now, the SEGA reps. This year marks the 60th's anniversary of the company. And with the great relationship between Nintendo and SEGA since the Gamecube days, what better way to take part in the celebration than by getting a new SEGA character in Smash? I personally believe SEGA and the Smash team would go for either Sakura (due to the impact of Sakura Wars and the Saturn in japanese pop culture), Axel Stone (for a classic retro SEGA pick) or Kyryu (due to the worldwide success and popularity of Yakuza). For Mii costumes I decided to go with SEGA characters who tend to be acknowledged frequently on official SEGA crossovers (Billy Hatcher, Ulala, Alex Kidd and Beat). I personally find the inclussion of an Alex Kidd costume reasonable as he was one of the original SEGA faces.

>I also believe we are getting a new Square Enix pick. My choices are Sephiroth due to his status as one of gaming's biggest villains, Crono because of the cult following the franchise has and Neku for that reason and also because of Nomura's current importance in the company.
For Mii costumes I actually consider the fun possibility of Sakurai doing Sans-style designs of the FFVII cast based on their PS1 models + the Chocobo hat, probably using them as a way to include some new FFVII tracks alongside.

>Capcom is the big name in speculation and for all the fair reasons. They have been supporting the Switch strongly since launch and have a healthy relationship with the Big N. I expect Dante or Phoenix Wright from them since they currently are their biggest characters besides Resident Evil ones.
For Mii costumes I went with Four popular Capcom characters in crossovers (Bison, Arthur, Maya and Viewtiful Joe).

>Finally, I expect Sakurai to end the pass on a big note. As such, I expect them to add the before-believed never-evers such as Master Chief and Steve. For me there would be no better way to end the potential last batch of Smash DLC made by Sakurai with such important and internet-breaking choices. For Mii costumes I went with some Rareware and Minecraft characters (Rash, Conker, Zombie and Enderman).

And that's basically It, I will end by tagging some cool people who I would love to see checking out this post:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
No. The mechanics are much different from a hack 'n slash.

I never said it's a pure FPS. But the combat uses FPS style gameplay. Since the combat is a part of the core gameplay loop, the game is part FPS.
Yeah but it's not the central part of Metroid Prime as it features more than just shooting enemies to progress unlike an actual First Person Shooter. Metroid prime is a First person Action Adventure series which is what i'm getting at.

I don't know which alternate dimension you're from, but saying Metroid Prime is not a shooter is really missing the target... Take away the shooting, and it becomes a 3D first person puzzler that is nothing like the original. Shooting is a KEY component of the series. Yes there's puzzles, and platforming, and games aren't limited to one thing, but ignoring the shooting part is like saying Metroid is the same as Amnesia, Dear Esther, or Antichamber... They share elements, but it's otherwise heretical to say the shooting aspect of Metroid doesn't make it stand out masively from those.
I'm not ignoring the shooting part. I'm saying there is more to Metroid Prime than just Shooting so it makes it a First person Action Adventure game rather than just a First Person Shooter.

As for Banjo not being a platformer... Clearly you haven't even gone through the first tutorial area, because it certainly is a key aspect of it. It's like saying Super Mario 64 isn't a platformer... Sure, Banjo didn't have as many infinite pits of void at the edges of the world, and Banjo does have extra abilities instead of just jumping, but otherwise it's a major part of it, as well as the collection and "adventure" part.
It's not a platformer because Jumping from platform to platform isn't all you do in Banjo & Kazooie. In Mario games, everything revolves around you jumping so that makes it a platformer. Banjo & Kazooie encourages you to explore the worlds and collect jiggies so it makes it an action adventure game.

Ooof at the quality of the image but at least we can see who they are.

Axel Stone and Crono are top tier choices for me. Geno, Dante and Phoenix Wright are good but I'm indifferent to everyone else. I'd be really happy if Axel Stone and Crono were chosen and would make this a great pass regardless of who else joins them. Otherwise it'd be an okay pass at best and boring at worst.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
It took me some time to get this done, but I finally have a visual representation of my predictions for Fighter Pass 2. I'm gonna post my picture and following suit will try to go a bit in-depth about my choices and why I feel they could potentially happen:

>Min Min seems to be someone who would please a good amount of Arms fans, and with her kicking attacks she seems like an easy Arms character to get added. Her Mii costumes would be associated with fighting games and Arms (Heihachi, Max Brass and Helix. With Ori being a Deluxe Mii costume).

>Considering the possibility of Min Min getting added, I can imagine Sakurai opening the gates for spirit/assist trophy promotions at least for one pick in the past. My picture shows Geno, Waluigi and Rayman but It could easily be any other Spirit or assist. The Mii would be related to assist and spirits too (Mallow, Bomberman, Pauline and Shovel Knight).

>Now, the SEGA reps. This year marks the 60th's anniversary of the company. And with the great relationship between Nintendo and SEGA since the Gamecube days, what better way to take part in the celebration than by getting a new SEGA character in Smash? I personally believe SEGA and the Smash team would go for either Sakura (due to the impact of Sakura Wars and the Saturn in japanese pop culture), Axel Stone (for a classic retro SEGA pick) or Kyryu (due to the worldwide success and popularity of Yakuza). For Mii costumes I decided to go with SEGA characters who tend to be acknowledged frequently on official SEGA crossovers (Billy Hatcher, Ulala, Alex Kidd and Beat). I personally find the inclussion of an Alex Kidd costume reasonable as he was one of the original SEGA faces.

>I also believe we are getting a new Square Enix pick. My choices are Sephiroth due to his status as one of gaming's biggest villains, Crono because of the cult following the franchise has and Neku for that reason and also because of Nomura's current importance in the company.
For Mii costumes I actually consider the fun possibility of Sakurai doing Sans-style designs of the FFVII cast based on their PS1 models + the Chocobo hat, probably using them as a way to include some new FFVII tracks alongside.

>Capcom is the big name in speculation and for all the fair reasons. They have been supporting the Switch strongly since launch and have a healthy relationship with the Big N. I expect Dante or Phoenix Wright from them since they currently are their biggest characters besides Resident Evil ones.
For Mii costumes I went with Four popular Capcom characters in crossovers (Bison, Arthur, Maya and Viewtiful Joe).

>Finally, I expect Sakurai to end the pass on a big note. As such, I expect them to add the before-believed never-evers such as Master Chief and Steve. For me there would be no better way to end the potential last batch of Smash DLC made by Sakurai with such important and internet-breaking choices. For Mii costumes I went with some Rareware and Minecraft characters (Rash, Conker, Zombie and Enderman).

And that's basically It, I will end by tagging some cool people who I would love to see checking out this post:

like i said in the social, cool list

but to give some actual feedback

i think you should add lara croft to the square spot. i personally don't care for her, but tomb raider is pretty big, like, in terms of sheer cultural impact, i think she's the biggest square pick left

and i absolutely agree with all your sega choices, but i think you should add one more: phantasy star. phantasy star is a BIG sleeper pick imo. i'll just link to a write-up i did on potential sega reps as to why i think ps is being slept on
ok so about the sakura wars discussion from a while back

i'm actually super glad people have started to discuss other sega characters than just arle

so, as a huge sega nut, i'd like to talk about potential sega reps for pass 2 here

ok

so i think that besides puyo, there's 4 big sega franchises to be put into consideration: sakura wars, yakuza, streets of rage and phantasy star

sakura wars has already been covered

yakuza is one of sega's biggest series right now alongside with sonic and persona, they consider it one of their big moneymakers and not being popular outside of japan isn't even a problem anymore since it's recently had a huge popularity boom in the west

and i'm not just saying streets of rage because of the new game, otherwise we'd be all over monkey ball and space channel 5: i'm saying this because it was apparently really big back in the 90's when sega were still in their golden age. to this day, streets of rage is still one of sega's biggest classics from that era, and the mega drive was also an important footnote in sega and maybe overall gaming history that i feel shouldn't just be repped by sonic, and axel stone is a prime candidate

and now, phantasy star: this one is a SERIOUS darkhorse, because it wasn't just another big sega series in the 90's, oh nonononono, it was one of their big boys for ALL of their history before they started hyperfocusing on sonic, yakuza and persona. it was one of the big old influential jrpgs of the late 80's along with stuff like dragon quest, final fantasy and fellow darkhorse candidate ys. and HOO BOY, don't get me started on phantasy star online. that was a BIG hit (well, at least by the dreamcast's standards) to the point where it got a sequel that's available right now and if you go to sega's 60th anniversary website, you see that they consider pso one of their big milestones alongside stuff like their classic arcade games, the yakuza series and their acquisition of atlus. all in all, phantasy star in particular is one candidate that we should NOT overlook.

now would i absolutely love to see stuff like jet set radio and skies of arcadia? hell yeah, but i don't think they're happening unfortunately

if it were up to me, out of these 4 i'd pick streets of rage because i LOVE that series and

come on

come on

you give this one listen and tell me you don't want it in smash

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Looks good! I'm not familiar with all of the characters in the line-up (I'm aware of who Neku, Sakura, and Axel are, but I have no idea what they can do or how they'd play), but the ones that I am familiar with seem like great choices. I haven't played much of Yakuza (just Yakuza Zero, and I'm not very far into it), but Kiryu seems like he'd be a lot of fun to play as in Smash given his various brawling styles and being able to pick up random objects to use as weapons (and the stages would be great).

Crono would be amazing (really hope that, if we got him, he wouldn't undergo the Square-Enix Music Curse, because there are a ton of great songs from that game), and while I haven't gotten too in-depth with Final Fantasy 7 (I beat it last summer and watched Advent Children), I'd love to see how Sephiroth played. (and even if his inclusion only got us two more songs, at least there'd be a better chance of us getting JENOVA and One Winged Angel for Midgar and whatever stage would come with Sephiroth)

I haven't played Minecraft since the beta, so I'm not sure what's been added to the game since then, but the sheer amount of stage potential alone has me kind of rooting for Steve. (though I definitely wouldn't say no to Master Chief either - I'm just glad that we got Banjo-Kazooie, so I don't have to worry about them any more) While I have my preference when it comes to Capcom characters, Phoenix Wright definitely seems like he'd be a fun inclusion. (I'd prefer Dante or Amaterasu, though)

Any of the characters in the second slot would be great - if we get assist trophy upgrades, I feel like Waluigi should be one of the first ones. (though there are plenty that I'd be rooting for - Isaac, Bomberman, Midna, Shovel Knight...) Seeing as Geno and Rayman are among my most wanted that are currently in my signature, I'd definitely be excited if they were included.

All in all, it seems like a great list to me!

One piece of advice from a visual standpoint - it's probably better to save your images as PNGs rather than JPGs, if you have the option. I don't know why, but saving it as a JPG image makes the entire thing really blurry.

D

Deleted member

like i said in the social, cool list

but to give some actual feedback

i think you should add lara croft to the square spot. i personally don't care for her, but tomb raider is pretty big, like, in terms of sheer cultural impact, i think she's the biggest square pick left

and i absolutely agree with all your sega choices, but i think you should add one more: phantasy star. phantasy star is a BIG sleeper pick imo. i'll just link to a write-up i did on potential sega reps as to why i think ps is being slept on
Completely agree with the Lara Croft and Phantasy Star comments.

If my editing program worked better and I was able to put some extra space I would have probably put Lara and a Phantasy Star rep on the SEGA and Square spaces.

Phantasy Star's impact on SEGA's history just can't be looked apart, and I feel It is quite likely to get Smash representation in Smash sometime during the near future.

I also considered putting the Skies Of Arcadia protagonist as part of the SEGA Mii but with Four spaces only It couldn't be the case.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

Jokes aside, solid predictions. Right now if I had to wager on FP2...

ARMS
Crash
Travis Touchdown
Rex and Pyra
Sol Badguy
Geno

Crash to me makes just too much sense to ignore. A huge franchise that was once Sony's mascot that has had a strong revival in recent years. Activision is friendly with Nintendo and they are a giant. To me, this just makes sense.

No More Heroes has been basically adopted by Nintendo. NMH 3 also is coming out this year, so he is a prime choice for a shill pick.

Rex has his biggest hurdle cleared given Sakurai's statements on Spring Man and if spirits no longer deconfirm. Also moveset stuffs.

The spirits for Kunio and the gang make me think something from ArcSys, and Sol fits that bill perfectly.

Finally, if there is truly no more DLC (which I personally doubt but *shrugs*) Geno seems like the perfect ending piece.

Here would be my FP3 btw if that exists as a likely prediction.

Phoenix Wright
Gen 8 Pokemon
Heihachi Mishima
Tracer
Waluigi
Sora

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yeah but it's not the central part of Metroid Prime as it features more than just shooting enemies to progress unlike an actual First Person Shooter. Metroid prime is a First person Action Adventure series which is what i'm getting at.
It's not a platformer because Jumping from platform to platform isn't all you do in Banjo & Kazooie. In Mario games, everything revolves around you jumping so that makes it a platformer. Banjo & Kazooie encourages you to explore the worlds and collect jiggies so it makes it an action adventure game.
You're correct in saying that a game is more than the sum of its parts. However, if those parts are signifigant enough within the game, they count towards the game's genre since the whole point of the genre classification is to let potential players know what the game is going to be like before they even see gameplay. If a game doesn't wholly fit in one genre, than it has to have more than one in order to achieve this purpose.

Metroid Prime's FPS mechanics are as omnipresent as it's action adventure mechanics so it's a FPS action adventure game.

Banjo-Kazooie, much like Super Mario Odyssey, is a collectathon where your goal is to get a bunch of McGuffins, usually through some use of platforming.

Super Smash Bros.'s mix of the fighting and platformer genre is so different from both fighting games and platformers that it obtained it's own sub-genre. That said, you wouldn't be incorrect to say that it's a series of fighting games or platformers, you'd just be selling it short depending on what you were trying to say about it. On top of this, it's also a part of the party game genre since it's a pick up and play multiplayer game with a low skill floor.

D

Deleted member

One piece of advice from a visual standpoint - it's probably better to save your images as PNGs rather than JPGs, if you have the option. I don't know why, but saving it as a JPG image makes the entire thing really blurry.
Gonna take that in mind the next time I try to do something similar!

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

I have my doubts on how likely this is, especially with the pass ending on a bang (I reject the notion that all reveal cycles end on an actively disappointing note, but the more universal hook line and sinker picks are usually at the beginning and then peter out from there). I wouldn't hate it if this is how it went though, especially if we got Crono.

Also, slight correction: Min Min has one kick attack, and it's her throw. That's not to say you can't give her kicking attacks, but they shouldn't be a large part of her kit since the focus is on her ARMS.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Personally, I think it's very unlikely that Nintendo will double-dip with third-parties, and that includes Microsoft.

Not saying that's a hard rule, but there's typically a large gap between the first and second character of a single company. The only company so far that's gotten two franchises in one game is Capcom, and even then the characters are owned by two separate divisions of the company.

I'll predict that any of the third-parties we get will be from companies who weren't involved in the first pass. Could be wrong, but I'm definitely not confident on another Sega or SNK rep. SE or Microsoft maybe, but I still wouldn't bet on it.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Personally, I think it's very unlikely that Nintendo will double-dip with third-parties, and that includes Microsoft.

Not saying that's a hard rule, but there's typically a large gap between the first and second character of a single company. The only company so far that's gotten two franchises in one game is Capcom, and even then the characters are owned by two separate divisions of the company.

I'll predict that any of the third-parties we get will be from companies who weren't involved in the first pass. Could be wrong, but I'm definitely not confident on another Sega or SNK rep. SE or Microsoft maybe, but I still wouldn't bet on it.
I think the only time we may get a double dip on a 3rd party company is if there's very high demand for a particular character that seems possible to license. I can argue Sega is still possible but the question is if there's enough demand for Arle or Kiryu for them to be double dipped. Square Enix and Microsoft are very likely for a double dip if we get one because they both have various characters people have been begging for. SNK is unlikely but I think Terry is enough right now for them. Konami is a wild card but I can't think of too many characters in demand on their end. Namco is a possibility.

It just depends on the demand on a character, I imagine. I can see 3rd parties either being pre-existing companies in the game like Capcom who don't have a DLC character for Ultimate yet or entirely new companies being added in.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Thinking about it, the whole no double-dipping thing seems silly to me. Like, why would taking more than one character from a company be a bad thing especially if they're very different in every way like Banjo & Kazooie, Steve, and Master Chief or Arle, Sakura, and Kiryu? It's not really different from adding new characters incrementally either since the veterans have to be renegotiated for each game.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
If anything getting another character from the same company might be easier given that the lines of communication/negotiation are already established and discussions about other possibilities for characters likely already happened during the development of first pass.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Not a hard rule but I can see Nintendo refraining from adding multiple characters from the same company in a single pass.

But I think it's likely that we'll see another Square-Enix/SEGA/Capcom character before FP2 concludes.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Watch them pull a Hero and reveal/release the ARMS character on June 30th for maximum trollery. :troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom