• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I could realistically see FNAF get a Mii Costume. I mean, it's one of the more popular indie series and all of the games have been ported to Switch. That's about on par with Undertale and Cuphead.

The only issue is the language barrier between Sakurai and Scott Cawthon. Toby Fox speaks a little bit of Japanese and the Moldenhauer Brothers likely had Microsoft to serve as a middle man. I could realistically see Sakurai going "no, it's not worth it" to contact, negotiate, and get the approval of Cawthon for a singular Mii costume if language is a major issue.

Last edited:

toonito

Smash Ace
I have a game

what gaming genres are not yet represented through a character and if you had to choose one character to rep that genre who would it be?

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I have a game

what gaming genres are not yet represented through a character and if you had to choose one character to rep that genre who would it be?
Visual Novels, of course! And there's only one person for the job.

ezgif-6-861c187f2387.png

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I have a game

First Person Shooter - Doom Slayer
Horror - Leon Kennedy

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
But if we get a When They Cry rep, why not...

Wait, nvm I've changed my answer for a VN fighter

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I have a game

Shmups- A Space Ship from some shooter? (I don't like Touhou)
Beat Em Ups- Axel Stone. No ifs and buts.
Visual Novels- Phoenix Wright because having an eroge or otome game would make me choke.
3D Fighting Game? - Heihachi?
Action RPG?- Sora?

Uuuuhhhhhh..........subgenres count right? Im out of ideas.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Ok but I got a VN rep that will blow all y’all’s minds

ZERO FROM ZERO ESCAPE.

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
I have a game

There have been a couple good suggestions but...

Survival: Wilson from Don't Starve.

He could craft weapons that degrade and break over time, learn recipes over the course of a battle at his "science machine" and recover using a telelocator staff. They wouldn't even need to record voice lines for him-- he could just make muted trumpet sounds like he does in his original game.

cj.

Smash Journeyman
I have a game

Shoot 'Em Up: Tako from Parodius
Beat 'Em Up: Kunio from River City/Kunio series
Graphic Adventure: Guybrush Threepwood from Monkey Island
Survival Horror: Edward Carnby from Alone in the Dark

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I have a game

Virtual Pet: Nintendog
Sandbox: Minecraft’s Steve
Sports Games/Party Games: Waluigi:p

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I have a game

• Shoot-em'-Up - Vic Viper (Gradius)
  • Beat-em'-Up - Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)
  • Visual Novel - Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
  • Puzzle Game - Professor Layton
  • Horror - Rick Taylor (Splatterhouse)
  • 3D Fighting Game - Heihachi (Tekken)

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
I have a game

Artoria4.png

I want to see the sheer collective meltdown the internet would have over this.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Shoot 'Em Up: Tako from Parodius
Beat 'Em Up: Kunio from River City/Kunio series
Graphic Adventure: Guybrush Threepwood from Monkey Island

Those are three solid-ass picks, my good sir.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I have a game

First we've got to figure out which of the existing characters originate from what genre.

Platformer - :ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultrosalina::ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultpiranha::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight::ulticeclimbers::ultwario::ultsonic:
Action Adventure - :ultlink::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultganondorf::ultdarksamus::ultsnake::ultbanjokazooie:
Action Platformer -:ultsamus::ultzss::ultridley: :ultpit::ultpalutena::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultmegaman:
Spaceship Shooter - :ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf:
Turn Based Role Playing Game - :ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer::ultpokemontrainerf::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultincineroar::ultness::ultlucas::ultcloud::ultjoker::ulthero:
Racing - :ultfalcon:
Tactical Role Playing Game - :ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultike::ultrobin::ultcorrin::ultbyleth:
Real time Strategy - :ultolimar:
Social Simulation - :ultvillager::ultisabelle:
Action RPG - :ultshulk:
Third Person Shooter -:ultdarkpit::ultinkling:
Fighting game - :ultryu::ultken::ult_terry:(ARMS character)
Hack and Slash - :ultbayonetta:
Puzzle - :ultdoc:
Miscellaneous - :ultgnw::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer::ultlittlemac::ultduckhunt::ultpacman::ultmiifighters:

So with that out of the way here are my picks

Action RPG - Ark (Terranigma) Thanks Shulk for ruining the chances of a perfectly good character
Beat em up - Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)
Puzzle-Platformer - Eric the Swift, Baleog the Fierce and Olaf the Stout (The Lost Vikings)
First Person Shooter - Sgt. Cortez (TimeSplitters)

Uh... Time to Split. i don't feel like posting a gif right now.

No one is allowed to know who Edward Carnby is! That's illegal!

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
First we've got to figure out which of the existing characters originate from what genre.

Platformer - :ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultrosalina::ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultpiranha::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight::ulticeclimbers::ultwario::ultsonic:
Action Adventure - :ultlink::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultganondorf::ultsnake::ultbanjokazooie:
Action Platformer -:ultsamus::ultzss::ultridley::ultdarksamus: :ultpit::ultpalutena::ultdarkpit::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultmegaman:
Turn Based Role Playing Game - :ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer::ultpokemontrainerf::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultincineroar::ultness::ultlucas::ultcloud::ultjoker::ulthero:
Tactical Role Playing Game - :ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultike::ultrobin::ultcorrin::ultbyleth:
Third Person Shooter - :ultinkling:
Miscellaneous - :ultgnw::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer::ultlittlemac::ultduckhunt::ultpacman:

Action RPG - Ark (Terranigma) Thanks Shulk for ruining the chances of a perfectly good character
Puzzle-Platformer - Eric the Swift, Baleog the Fierce and Olaf the Stout (The Lost Vikings)

Technically Dark Samus originated in a First Person Shooter and Dark Pit from a Third Person Shooter :yoshi:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Action Adventure - :ultlink::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultganondorf::ultsnake::ultbanjokazooie:
Action Platformer -:ultsamus::ultzss::ultridley::ultdarksamus: :ultpit::ultpalutena::ultdarkpit::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultmegaman:
Third Person Shooter - :ultinkling:
Miscellaneous - :ultgnw::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer::ultlittlemac::ultduckhunt::ultpacman:

Wario is weird because he's two genres at once.

Platformer and minigame collection.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
so! yesterday, i mentioned making a moveset for edward falcon from power stone. and well, here it is! by the end of this, i hope you too will be interested in the prospect of the power stone series in smash.

also for just this one post i'm dropping the all lowercase letters schtick
Alright, since I still can't figure out how to upload images, please refer to this video for reference and for better visualizing his moves.
First of all, a crash course: Who is Edward Falcon?
Edward Falcon is the protagonist of Power Stone, a 3D arena fighter released by Capcom for the arcades and the Dreamcast, and its sequel. An aviator/boxer in the anime, Edward hails from the totally-not-a-certain-real-world-location land of Londo, and his main goal is to find the legendary Power Stones. Since his appearance in his own (dead) series, he's shown up here and there, namely as a small cameo in Capcom VS SNK 2, a card in Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3's Heroes and Heralds mode, and, most surprisingly of them all, a DLC costume in Dead Rising 3 of all things (Not even I was aware of this last one before researching all his cameos!)

OK. Now we cover the basics, or rather, the overall theming of his moveset. So, Edward himself is just punchy-kicky man, admittedly. BUT, there's two things in particular that make him EXPLODE in moveset potential: his super form and items. The super form we'll get to later, but items are, well, items in his original game. When added to his moveset, they basically make him an arsenal of cartoony weapons. And trust me, i had to leave out a TON in this moveset. For reference, Power Stone 2 had OVER 100 ITEMS. Yeah, this moveset doesn't cover all of his potential, but tbf it'd be impossible to stuff all that in one moveset, so i just went with the ones i felt flew better in the context of Smash.

Now before we get to the main event, I'd like to mention his smash attacks, as they also use items. Of course, stuff like his jab combo, tilts and grabs would all just be run-of-the-mill brawling.
Forward Smash: Edward swings a pipe forward.
Up Smash: Edward pulls out a sword (oh boy) and slashes upwards.
Down Smash: Edward pulls out a giant hammer and SLAMS it on the ground.

Alright, it's Special time:
Neutral Special: Machine Gun: Yes, a literal mother****ing machine gun. Starting off on the right foot, ain't we? Well, it's a big cartoony machine gun, to be more specific. When using it, Edward stays in place, and you can let it last for as long as you want by simply holding the B button.
Side Special: Crate Kick: Edward kicks one of a selection of stage objects from the first game forward. So not just crates: barrels, chairs, tables, vases, benches, trash cans...Great for ruining attempts at recovery.
Up Special: I honestly don't know what to name this one: Edward does a simple jump. It's got decent height. HOWEVER, if Edward makes contact with an opponent during it, he will grab them midair and slam them down. It's like a non-tether, shorter-ranged version of Byleth's up-B. This is an actual move of his from the first game, and i wanted to incorporate it into his moveset in some way.
Down Special: Item Shop: Now here's where things get interesting. So, a new feature in Power Stone 2 was the item shop. It brought a whole load of new items with it, as I mentioned before. So, with this, instead of going for just one, I decided to have a 4-in-1 and give Edward a not-as-nearly-as-gimmicky version of Command Select. So, when using it, a menu gets pulled up, and from it you can choose to use one of 4 weapons:
Soccer Ball: This was Edward's special unique item of sorts in the game. He kicks a soccer ball, and it works more or less like the Soccer Ball item we already have, minus the flames.
Bazooka: Edward shoots a few shots, does decent damage, not much else to be said here other than it's a goddamn bazooka.
Flame Rod (i think that's what it was called): Edward pulls out said rod and shoots 3 fire orbs at the opponent.
Fire Bottle: Edward throws the bottle at the opponent, engulfing them in flames. There we have it boys, our first Smash fighter to wield an actual molotov.

Now, we got a real shake-up coming: his Power Stone meter. It consists of three little Power Stone icons, and when Edward does a certain amount of damage, one of the icons fills up and so on until he becomes his super form. This pretty much gives him a whole second moveset. Keep in mind that I'm not naming most of the specials this time cause as of this writing I don't remember the names.
Neutral Special (Super Form): Edward shoots a single missile.
Side Special (Super Form): Edward dashes knee-first into the opponent. I'm taking away the original ability to perform this move multiple times at once as to not run the risk of having another Bayo on our hands.
Up Special (Super Form): Power Hurricane: Edward performs a flaming uppercut.
Down Special (Super Form): Edward fires 5 small homing missiles at the opponent. Not a lot of knockback.
And now, the big one:
Final Smash for both forms: Red Whirlwind (named after his canon moniker ala Red Baron): Edward turns into his super form (or stays in it, it depends), kicks the opponent into the air and fires an absolute BARRAGE of missiles. It's like Snake's Final Smash on steroids.
i sincerely hope y'all take the time to read this, this took me a lot of time and i think it came out great. and if this convinced you on his potential, you can stop by the edward falcon support thread! afaik it hasn't been added to the directory yet so you'll have to look for it

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Hey, so how often does Nintendo send enquetes asking to give feedback on games you've bought? Cause I don't remember getting any for a good 90% of my Switch games, including digital. That being said, they sent me one for DMC3, and call me crazy, but I'm not convinced that the Switch version removed one of the biggest issues the game has had for over a decade just for a Switch pun

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Out of curiosity, let's say that the ARMS character is Max Brass, or Dr. Coyle, or Helix, or someone whose inclusion heavily implies that being an assist trophy or a spirit is enough to disqualify someone from DLC. What would your ideal Fighters Pass 2 look like in that case?

This would be mine:

https://i.imgur.com/CLmvNHf.png

Admittedly, it doesn't seem overly likely for a variety of reasons (given how rarely Smash has added characters from M-rated games (:ultbayonetta::ultjoker::ultsnake:), it seems unlikely that they're going to more-than-double that amount), but it's my ideal list, not an attempt at a prediction. (because I'm well aware that I'd be way off if I tried predicting, considering that I thought Erdrick would be the default if we got a Dragon Quest hero, that Banjo and Kazooie were never going to happen despite wanting them to be in Smash since the first Smash game came out, and that we wouldn't get Terry until further down the line until the Nintendo of Europe leak happened)

I put Doomguy last because, ideally, the development team would have learned to not save a combo-heavy character like Dante or 2B until the end so there's more time to balance them. (the order of the others doesn't particularly matter)

Admittedly, I haven't played much of Tekken or Nier Automata, but it seems like those characters have a ton of material to work with for moves, on top of everything else that they'd bring to Smash Bros (stages, music, spirits - the whole shebang). Heihachi's got a ton of history behind him, and it's pretty rare (in games, at least) for a villain to be the face of the franchise.

As for 2B, I'm sure some will say that she doesn't have a presence on Nintendo consoles, but considering that characters like Cloud and Joker had a presence on Nintendo consoles that could generously be called "minimal" at the time of their announcement (Cloud had a few cameos, mostly in Kingdom Hearts games, and Joker had a 3DS spin-off that released in Japan about a week before his announcement), I doubt that would be an issue. (plus, the movesets made by @Venus of the Desert Bloom for 2B and @JudgeHeihachi for Heihachi helped to convince me, or at least made it much easier for me to picture them in Smash)
Swap Heihachi with Jin(though both are sick no lose situation here), Travis with Hayabusa and 2B with Lara. They're all cool, but I'd just like Lara and Hayabusa more.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
I have a game

Life/Farming Sim: Farmer Pete (Story of Seasons/Harvest Moon)
Survival Horror: Jill Valentine (Resident Evil)
Beat Em Up: Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)
Visual Novel: Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
Rhythm: Anyone from Rhythm Heaven really
Puzzle (I’m choosing to ignore Dr. Mario): Mallo (Pushmo)
Musou: Impa (Hyrule Warriors)

There are other genres as well like point and click adventure, bullet hell, first person shooter, MOBA, tower defense, roguelikes, dating sims, sandbox, sports, and so on but I either couldn’t think of something for them, don’t about the genre, or don’t think they’d fit in smash frankly. Not sure how I’d feel about a dating sim character in Smash, though I suppose Farmer Pete could technically count for that if he ever actually got in.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hey, so how often does Nintendo send enquetes asking to give feedback on games you've bought? Cause I don't remember getting any for a good 90% of my Switch games, including digital. That being said, they sent me one for DMC3, and call me crazy, but I'm not convinced that the Switch version removed one of the biggest issues the game has had for over a decade just for a Switch pun
For the Switch I haven't gotten anything whatsoever.

Maybe I'm just playing the wrong games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom