• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Which of the two do you guys think is more likely?

ARMS rep revealed on June 11th and released on June 16th?

or

ARMS rep revealed and released on June 16th?
In all honesty neither are likely as it hinges on the anniversary point which people use. If I had to say it's the former as it isn't double anniversary but now that there is no E3 it makes me doubt 11th. It's either early or mid. The majority of the characters revealed in Sakurai showcases though have been revealed early in the month. Terry and Banjo was early, Hero was late and Byleth was mid. Joker was also mid depending on if it counts as there wasn't a Sakurai showcase but a kind of presentation. Plant released on the first but that had no kind of presentation beforehand so it shouldn't count. I'm honestly thinking early but it could very well be late

Last edited:

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
They already said the ARMS rep would be released on the day of their reveal, so I’m betting the latter.
Actually, the quote is open to interpretation: "The next fighter will be announced and released this June"
It can be either:
  • A shadowdrop in the same day, sometime in June.
  • Revealed early June and released later June.
Both scenarios fit with the phrase, because it never claimed that the announcement and release were in the same day.
I'm betting the latter, taking into account how Byleth's presentation happened, but I wouldn't mind a good ol' shadowdrop.

As for when the presentation will happen, I'm betting in the Clubhouse Games week.

Last edited:

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace
Yeah, but probably not much more than say, Rosalina and Luma's amiibo.
Yeah. They could make it work for the most part, in all honesty. Would be kinda funny to glance at, though.

"And for Challenger Pack 6, the next ARMS fighter is... actually Rayman! Yup! This fighter's clear, plastic arms can exteeeeeeeeeeeeeee-"

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So I was listening to PapaGenos video about Rayman

And I am wondering if it's possible to have Rayman, wouldn't it Amiibo look weird ?
They’ll make it work I’m sure.

It might not be that pretty. But they’d make it work.

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
So I was listening to PapaGenos video about Rayman

And I am wondering if it's possible to have Rayman, wouldn't it Amiibo look weird ?
i'm sure they can find a way make it look decent as I as bring up a post of mine about a month ago:
it would probably be like this:
by Raysober.

Last edited:

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
I trust them for making the Amiibo works just I don't know how lol.

Can't wait to have the next character being revealed (to know which from the ARMS game make it) and have the reveal of the next one ?

I hope for Rayman, Doomguy and *cross finger* one more rep from the F-Zero series this serie need more love *sob* *sob* *sob in a corner*.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Can't wait to have the next character being revealed (to know which from the ARMS game make it) and have the reveal of the next one ?

I hope for Rayman, Doomguy and *cross finger* one more rep from the F-Zero series this serie need more love *sob* *sob* *sob in a corner*.
Which F-Zero character? My pick is Pico.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

That gets me wondering - who else would work as an F-Zero character aside from the usual suggestions? (Black Shadow becoming a slower Captain Falcon clone while Ganondorf gets his own moveset, and Samurai Goroh getting promoted from assist trophy status)

I'm not overly familiar with F-Zero, but I could see Deathborn being an option. Maybe Zoda, since he's an in-universe supervillain and they could include some Star Tropics references to the villain of the same name if they wanted to flesh out his move list.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
That gets me wondering - who else would work as an F-Zero character aside from the usual suggestions? (Black Shadow becoming a slower Captain Falcon clone while Ganondorf gets his own moveset, and Samurai Goroh getting promoted from assist trophy status)

I'm not overly familiar with F-Zero, but I could see Deathborn being an option. Maybe Zoda, since he's an in-universe supervillain and they could include some Star Tropics references to the villain of the same name if they wanted to flesh out his move list.
What about Pico as an Assist Trophy? He could attack from off-screen using his rifle.

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774

Your two pick are good and on point, I would also add Jody Summer for a female character, she is a quite skilled competent Galactic Space Federation pilote and she has according to some a relationship/love interest with Captain Falcon.

Other prominent character would be for me Blood Falcon, Dr Steward and Rick Wheeler the later who has a personnal bif toward Zoda. For Black Shadow I think he can have his personnal move the only clone we can have from Captain Falcon is Blood Falcon.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I think it’s a given Splatoon gets more reps at some point, maybe even as DLC depending on where they want to take the second pass. With Splatoon 2 hitting 10mil sold it has solidified its position as one of the top Nintendo franchises at the moment. I feel like Octoling is the obvious choice for the next rep, but many seem to be stuck on the idea of them being only Echo-material. Honestly, it wouldn’t surprise me one bit to see a unique Octoling (or just some other Splatoon character) pop up in this pass.
I would never want to pay full price for a character that would be a semiclone at best, and Splatoon doesn't really need the extra attention, especially over other franchises.

Though if we HAD to have another Splatoon rep (this is coming from someone who put over 100 hours into Splatoon 2, nothing to boast about but it shows a decent amount of time dedicated to the game), I'd pick DJ Octavio in a heartbeat. If we don't get Eggman then he'd be the perfect one to fill the role of the villain in a hovering vehicle archetype. His English personality is hilarious and the rave-themed attacks he'd have would make him a unique addition. Plus I doubt he'd really upset anyone with his inclusion. As opposed to Octolings (semicloe at best who'd be a super late promotion for Octo Expansion) or the Squid Sisters (JUST added as assists, and people would be upset if they were promoted over assists who've been waiting for over 10 years).

Splatoon will get another rep at some point but this really isn't the time for it.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
fill the role of the villain in a hovering vehicle archetype.
:ultbowserjr:

Plus I doubt he'd really upset anyone with his inclusion.
I'm not sure what makes you think that. I know this fandom loves villains but even then a character who practically nobody is asking for getting over franchises with more requested characters, new series or even more popular charters from the same game sounds like a surefire way to upset more than a few fans.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I'm not sure what makes you think that. I know this fandom loves villains but even then a character who practically nobody is asking for getting over franchises with more requested characters, new series or even more popular charters from the same game sounds like a surefire way to upset more than a few fans.
That's fair, I just think he'd be WAY less offensive than the other options Splatoon offers.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Mr. Arrow and Jody Summer perhaps?

Being that Super Arrow is Zoda's arch-nemesis and Jody Summer supposed Captain Falcon's love interest.

Maybe Dr. Stewart as well given he's one of the original four with Captain Falcon, Samurai Goroh and Pico.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If Octolings end up being as much of a clone as Lucas or Wolf, I'd be fine paying full price for them.

There's plenty of weapons left that haven't been touched yet, and if Sakurai added in a few of the special weapons (those OP weapons that you can use once your meter is filled) outside of the Final Smash, I think you could make Octoling a fully unique character.

SKX31

Smash Master
About FP7 being announced or not... I think it depends in which format they will choose to announce the ARMS character. If we get another Sakurai presentation, just like happened with the 4 previous fighters, then I don't think we will get FP7. If instead of that we get a Smash Direct for some reason, then I'd expect FP7 to be there.
That is true - that said: It might just be me, but I still get a nagging feeling that Nintendo might not show FP7 together with ARMS. It might be due to a lack of a pure E3 presentation and the sudden shadow-dropping (Hello Origami King). Of course, they could still do a double reveal, but I'm personally not so sure about it really.

There are also a couple other events that could serve as a FP7 "event" if Nintendo wanted to - even if the chances of that are small - such as EVO Online (which runs every July weekend, up to Aug. 2nd). There's a small chance since EVO Online's announcement did mention there would be special events and content (aka. trailers) for the original EVO 2020 lineup.

Your two pick are good and on point, I would also add Jody Summer for a female character, she is a quite skilled competent Galactic Space Federation pilote and she has according to some a relationship/love interest with Captain Falcon.

Other prominent character would be for me Blood Falcon, Dr Steward and Rick Wheeler the later who has a personnal bif toward Zoda. For Black Shadow I think he can have his personnal move the only clone we can have from Captain Falcon is Blood Falcon.
I could see Jody Summers being a ZSS semi-echo - but if one wants to differentiate her from ZSS one could use the anime as source material and give her a cyborg arm. Not just for tether recoveries (which have been hit and miss historically*), but perhaps other, different attacks as well.

It's a massive shame that Nintendo have no clue what to do with F-Zero (Miyamoto has admitted as much - edit: without a new controller scheme that suits F-Zero, they're stumped. It's a similar problem as Star Fox suffered from between Command and 64 3D / Zero).

*(To use an extreme example, :olimar: - who's an almost broken top tier in Brawl, has an awful tether Up-B. Personally I prefer the Winged Pikmin one by miles.)

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
If Octolings end up being as much of a clone as Lucas or Wolf, I'd be fine paying full price for them.

There's plenty of weapons left that haven't been touched yet, and if Sakurai added in a few of the special weapons (those OP weapons that you can use once your meter is filled) outside of the Final Smash, I think you could make Octoling a fully unique character.
To make it distinct have it like in Splatoon where after covering the stage with enough ink then your specials improve to the super weapons. The ink jet pack for the up b etc. That could create quite the unique dynamic between them and Inkling. Maybe they could have an even heavier emphasis on stage control if they make it possible for other characters to remove ink easier, not in an impractical way like making contact but maybe by using low attacks or something? Then again there may not be many characters who have attacks which hit the ground directly so the animation may look weird aside from perfectly timed falling aerials, probably during the ending lag. Anyway that was tangential but spitballing ideas for a unique octoling.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
*(To use an extreme example, :olimar: - who's an almost broken top tier in Brawl, has an awful tether Up-B. Personally I prefer the Winged Pikmin one by miles.)
To be fair, Brawl's tether recoveries could be ledge hogged. Now that you can't do that anymore, tether recoveries are just fine. Winged Pikmin is definitely better though since it gives Olimar players less tiny multi-colored creatures to keep track of. Though it combined with a very fast Pikmin Pluck does make for less regard for the Pikmin's safety.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Frankly, making a semiclone of Inkling with different weapons sounds like the most boring thing you could possibly do with the world of Splatoon, its characters, and even its gameplay. Maybe for a base game addition that isn't supposed to mean much, but for a full on Challenger Pack? Be bolder and crazier then, give me Off the Hook with crazy elements from all around the game and its DLC that plays nothing like Inkling. Making a character that even plays close to Inkling with the exception of the Ink mechanic itself feels so incredibly underwhelming.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
One argument I've seen against characters like Rayman or Master Chief are that they'll never happen due to being "literally who" in Japan. Thing is though, why does this matter? Without looking up data I can confidently assume that the number of consumers in Japan alone will be less than the number of consumers in Americas, Europe and the rest of the world. Characters like Rayman and Master Chief would absolutely sell well, the DLC doesn't have to pander solely to Japanese fans.

And if you want further evidence that Sakurai isn't only pandering to the Japanese, look no further than the additions of Little Mac and Ridley. Western demand isn't invalid just because Nintendo are a Japanese company.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
And if you want further evidence that Sakurai isn't only pandering to the Japanese, look no further than the additions of Little Mac and Ridley. Western demand isn't invalid just because Nintendo are a Japanese company.
I’m surprised you didn’t use :ultbanjokazooie: as an example, considering the duo’s a DLC character that got in mainly due to overwhelming western demand.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
I’m surprised you didn’t use :ultbanjokazooie: as an example, considering the duo’s a DLC character that got in mainly due to overwhelming western demand.
I've seen them make appearances on Japanese polls so although not "never ever" picks as they are in Europe and America, they have somewhat of a demand it seems

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
The circumstances regarding Little Mac & Ridley are different from western 3rd party characters.

Nintendo own Little Mac and Ridley, so there's 0 risks or licensing hurdles in adding them. With Western 3rd parties though, they have to take a risk and they have to consult with the devs outside of Japan for the license. And Sakurai has mentioned the difficulty of the language barrier with Banjo. Heck you can see the difficulty with the Banjo content.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
The circumstances regarding Little Mac & Ridley are different from western 3rd party characters.

Nintendo own Little Mac and Ridley, so there's 0 risks or licensing hurdles in adding them. With Western 3rd parties though, they have to take a risk and they have to consult with the devs outside of Japan for the license. And Sakurai has mentioned the difficulty of the language barrier with Banjo. Heck you can see the difficulty with the Banjo content.
It's true Nintendo owned characters are by comparison far easier but I don't see how a company as big as Nintendo can't invest in translators. Banjo was a success in spite of language barrier

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
hey so

another major Nintendo OS leak happened

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It's true Nintendo owned characters are by comparison far easier but I don't see how a company as big as Nintendo can't invest in translators. Banjo was a success in spite of language barrier
I don't think it's about a translator- I think its about going in person (as a sign of respect, and that 80 percent of communication is body language).
Sakurai wants to make sure he gets the characters portrayed accurately (at least, this is something he frequently states), and this is in part about him understanding the person communicating with him, directly.

It's part of the reason that, if we were to get a third party company character in this pass, it's very possible it was pushed back- because this will take significantly more resources for Sakurai to now correctly 'learn' how to have these meetings in person (meaning, in a way that meets his high standards).

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Not really. Banjo-Kazooie has quite a bit of content. It ain't Fatal Fury levels of content, but it's not really lacking in any areas like it is for Hero and Cloud. Besides, eastern 3rd parties are about as much of a risk as western ones are, and as GillyGrime said, if they know the character is popular in other regions, then they can still be confidant in a western 3rd party (or any western oriented character) as a business decision.

There is the major issue of COVID-19 though. If there is indeed another western character, and that was one of the ones that wasn't finalized, they may have a heck of a time doing so. However, this doesn't affect the chances of a western character unless Japan and/or the country the character belongs to is still dealing with the virus by the time they absolutely have to start working on the last fighter, which I don't feel would be for a little under a year at this point. Even then they could just delay the character if they didn't want to make substitutions.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Not really. Banjo-Kazooie has quite a bit of content. It ain't Fatal Fury levels of content, but it's not really lacking in any areas like it is for Hero and Cloud. Besides, eastern 3rd parties are about as much of a risk as western ones are, and as GillyGrime said, if they know the character is popular in other regions, then they can still be confidant in a western 3rd party (or any western oriented character) as a business decision.

There is the major issue of COVID-19 though. If there is indeed another western character, and that was one of the ones that wasn't finalized, they may have a heck of a time doing so. However, this doesn't affect the chances of a western character unless Japan and/or the country the character belongs to is still dealing with the virus by the time they absolutely have to start working on the last fighter, which I don't feel would be for a little under a year at this point. Even then they could just delay the character if they didn't want to make substitutions.
This is one of the reasons I think we will see a fighters pass 3.
As well as a personal feeling that Sakurai will want to continue to work on the game (Nintendo would surely say yes) to spread world joy, in a time of global crisis and heartache.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom