• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace
Even though the mascot/protagonist-first rules obviously have a ton of precedent, you can't deny that Nintendo saying just saying "ARMS Rep" and showing the full ARMS roster last direct left a lot of people with a sizable chunk of hope for secondary characters that would normally never have any hint of a Smash window open for them in any other circumstance. This kinda puts Nintendo in the vein of Bane from Dark Knight Rises, with them inadvertently poisoning people with a slight window of hope for characters who will most likely not make it in.

"So, as I terrorize the Smash community, I will feed its people hope for ARMS reps to poison their souls. I will let them believe they can get Kid Cobra or Lola Pop so that you can watch them clambering over each other to stay in the sun."

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Imagine this being the Season 2 Pass.

Spring Man
Paper Mario
Sylux
Gen 8 Pokemon
Rex
Waluigi
Remove Sylux and Gen 8 Pokemon and replace with Dixie Kong and Impa and I'm happy. (Also make Spring Man a composite with Ribbon Girl). And I like seeing some variety in series (since we already had two Mario newcomers in Ultimate), so maybe replace one or both of the Mario reps too with Isaac or some 3rd Parties.

On second thought, I don't like this pass at all, since I'm literally replacing the whole thing. Never mind then.

Last edited:

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
How is Spring Man the protagonist of Arms? Sorry if this has already been covered, but from my time playing the game I don't see how he's anymore the protagonist than some other characters.

He's definitely the mascot though.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
How is Spring Man the protagonist of Arms? Sorry if this has already been covered, but from my time playing the game I don't see how he's anymore the protagonist than some other characters.

Ugh.

He is the protagonist as far as the minimal story-- at least of the first game.

But Mascot... well we will know that as more art and games emerge from him.
So far I wouldnt call him the mascot. Character based games have the mascot emerge over time.
Like Scorpion from Mortal Kombat or Isabelle from Animal Crossing.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
And Sylux is just people saying "Sylux is gonna be in MP4" so much that it feels like his appearance is expected despite the lack of official information from before and after the restart of development saying anything in that regard. It's all just people clinging on to a comment made by Tanabe years ago.
Nintendo coming out two months later and saying they rebooted development on Prime 4 is also a massive blow because now it's "Sylux is gonna be in a game that won't release for ages"

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Honestly I haven't played BlazBlue. I have heard some of the music but I don't really know well the soundtrack of the series, so I don't think I could make a choice for now. I have to look more into the music!
And yeah I didn't heard very good things about Overture as well. It has one of my fave songs of the series, Communication, which is from Overture if I'm not mistaken.

The Ride the Fire thing would be really cool. The song could end when Sol loses the stock as you said, or maybe when his Dragon Install ends.
About the gimmick, I think including the tension gauge and therefore, roman cancels, would be cooler. Maybe in a different way in comparison to GG games. Dragon Install would be easier to put, that's for sure, it could work similar to Joker's down B, so maybe they would go for that. Tension gauge + Roman cancels would rep GG as a series better, but that would be harder to balance, I guess.
Coming from the same composer, BlazBlue tracks are very same-ish to Guilty Gear's. They all range from Rock to Metal. And let's keep this between you and me but Guilty Gear just stomps BlazBlue out of the water soundtrack-wise lol. But there are some heavy hitters that I listen to from time to time. Like Under Heaven Destruction II and Gluttony Fang.
And yeah, Overture is pretty looked down upon, except for the OST. Communication is a really great track, hopefully Strive will let use past tracks like Xrd does.

Also how about mixing both? That way you'd rep both Guilty Gear as a franchise and Sol as a character.
Sol will have a Tension Gauge which gets filled up when you play aggressively, just like in the main games. The Tension Gauge will steadily fill up when you land a hit, move/jump forward to the opponent. So yeah, the more aggressive you are against the opponent, the faster the gauge will fill up. But the opposite also comes into play, overdefensive playstyles will get punished. For example, failing to make an attack, retreating or shielding for too long will decrease the amount of Tension Sol has. If the Tension Gauge drops to 0, it will be temporarily harder for Sol to fill it up again as it will have a decreased fill rate. (Kind of mimicking "Negative Penalty")
From the Tension Gauge Sol will be able to Roman Cancel, by pressing Down-B, it will take a certain percentage of your Tension Gauge (I'll let Sakurai decide this for balancing reasons lmao, but in the GG games it's 25%) to pull off one Roman Cancel. That way Sol will be able to extend his combos by cancelling the recovery of moves.
As for Dragon Install, It'll only be usable once the Gauge hits 100% and pulling off a certain input (maybe the instakill input? would be a nice reference, also would be exactly like Terry's Buster Wolf). It'd temporarily buff Sol's every attack till the Gauge runs out, which will be around 10-15 seconds. If Sol plays defensively during Dragon Install, it'd penalize him by making the Gauge run out faster.

Well IIRC Sol's Dragon Install lasts about 10? seconds in Guilty Gear Xrd. Maybe a bit more. But once the song starts it never ends until the round is finished. Translating this into Smash could be tricky. I just thought about this as a little nice touch, but it would be up to Sakurai, of course.

Dragon Install wouldn't require, at least for me, to have Ride the Fire playing, but it would be cool and would make Sol more unique, just like some of the characters in Pass 1 (Mementos having 3 color variations, the 50 songs that came with Terry, and more).
Ride the Fire isn't necessary, but it'd be hella cool to implement it. It's the entire reason why Sol's Dragon Install is so hype to watch. Just gives that extra oomph when you hear that singer scream. Sakurai could also implement it by letting it play during Sol's Final Smash, which would be a cinematic. And if Sol wins the game with that Final Smash, the song will continue onto the win screen. Mimicking Instakills a bit.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Generally, it's true that the first character in a wave of Smash newcomers does signal a greater theme in that wave of newcomers:
:peachmelee: - Adding characters that did well in the Smash 2 poll, while also experimenting with unconventional choices for a fighting game.
:metaknight:- Filling out the casts of the series already in Smash.
:4villager:- Giving the spotlight to both Nintendo franchises without characters and characters gained relevance after Brawl's release.
:4mewtwo:- Bringing back cut veterans and showcasing big, iconic characters.
:ultinkling: - Adding fan favourites that were highly requested among the core fanbase.
:ultjoker: - Introducing more third parties that hail from generally smaller franchises that what had been seen before.

However, the important thing to note as that all of these themes can only be seen in hindsight. We can't say that Meta Knight is part of the theme of adding supporting characters without confirming that theme through additions like Diddy Kong, Zero Suit Samus, and King Dedede. Likewise, it's very easy to assume that because the first character fits this theme, those that follow must also fit the theme, when that's not true. Many thought Inkling would signify that we'd see more modern Nintendo characters like Rex, when that didn't happen. Likewise, many assumed that Joker's inclusion would also mean that the Fighter's Pass would mostly (or entirely) be recently created third parties with limited Nintendo connections. The following three third parties were all legacy characters, with 2 have strong historical ties to Nintendo and the third recently connecting with the Big N in the Switch's early days.

So, what does this mean for ARMS and Smash Speculation? ARMS likely does represent some greater theme for the roster, but we have no idea what that pattern that is. The ARMS character could be part of a trend of upgrading assists, upgrading spirits, generally more Nintendo, a greater emphasis on Switch content, and many more possible ideas. Alternatively, it could be multiple of these or none of these. The beginning of a speculation period requires a lot of guess work this early in the game. As such, I think proposing "big leap" characters that require certain conditions to be valid is fine and should be worth discussing beyond saying "yeah, but you're just assuming that". At the same time, nothing is guaranteed (beyond ARMS, of course), so hyping responsibly and not becoming permanently wed to certain ideas is also important.
This was quite well Stated, Gar.
It got me thinking. As improbable as it would be, it would fit the notion of how the pass was revealed- "someone from this game!"

What if this pass were all fighting game characters? Who would you want and/or expect to see?

FIGHTING GAME PASS:

- ARMS
- TEKKEN
- MORTAL KOMBAT

would be three givens for me.

After that it gets a bit dicier.
- SOUL CALIBRE
is my next easy add. But what about the last two?

I'm tempted to say Dead or Alive- but that brings to mind, for most people, Ryu Hayabusa (primarily due to Ninja Gaiden), but I think to properly get a Dead or Alive character it would need to be a large breasted female, as I think that's the biggest part of the legacy.

Guilty Gear has been getting a lot of talk lately, though I don't have much relationship to it.

Overall, I'd think the final character would be a bit of an odd one out anyway (since, along with the 'revealing the new trend' as Garteam put it, the final character of a pass seems to indicate where the next chunk will be going.
- Ganondorf in Melee showed us the next game would be filling out the casts.
- ROB showed us the next game would highlight filling out the Nintendo roster of franchises
- Duck Hunt showed us the next game would be toward big icon characters

So I think next I will say- the final character would be barely related to fighting game reps, and would be something like Phoenix Wright.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Not gonna lie, part of me would love a more unexpected character from ARMS to get the slot just to see the subsequent speculation and hypothetical patterns that would be weaved after.

"Lola Pop being selected would seem to suggest wackier characters are in, so Waluigi may be back on the table."

"If Dr Coyle was seen as the best choice, then Dr. Eggman's chances just plummeted; two mad scientists in one pass would be excessive."

"Mechanica got in with a mech suit as their default, so I don't see how Ride Armor being part of Mega Man X's moveset is somehow impractical."

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think the mimic fighter as a concept could be really cool.

*looks up the characters and finds out they just use the moveset of other characters at random*

But that...That's a waste of a slot. Did they not know the random button existed or something?

A mimic fighter could be a pretty simple bonus character, though.
Imagine just having to create the model, and not balance the actual character?
Different games utilize them different ways, of course.

A Ditto- character would just morph into a random character.
Mokujin keeps his body but changes his stance and adopts the other playstyle fully.
Shang Tsung takes elements from other character, specifically, but holds a lot his own.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
It got me thinking. As improbable as it would be, it would fit the notion of how the pass was revealed- "someone from this game!"

What if this pass were all fighting game characters? Who would you want and/or expect to see?

FIGHTING GAME PASS:

- ARMS
- TEKKEN
- MORTAL KOMBAT

- SOUL CALIBRE

I'm tempted to say Dead or Alive- but that brings to mind, for most people, Ryu Hayabusa (primarily due to Ninja Gaiden), but I think to properly get a Dead or Alive character it would need to be a large breasted female, as I think that's the biggest part of the legacy.

Guilty Gear has been getting a lot of talk lately, though I don't have much relationship to it.

Overall, I'd think the final character would be a bit of an odd one out anyway (since, along with the 'revealing the new trend' as Garteam put it, the final character of a pass seems to indicate where the next chunk will be going.
- ROB showed us the next game would highlight filling out the Nintendo roster of franchises

So I think next I will say- the final character would be barely related to fighting game reps, and would be something like Phoenix Wright.
this is how Decidueye wins

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace

FIGHTING GAME PASS:

- ARMS
- TEKKEN
- MORTAL KOMBAT

- SOUL CALIBRE

Honestly if that were the case I'd be all down for it. Fighting Games have to be my favourite gaming genre and repping more of them would be an absolute YES. Though I'd say an ArcSys rep would be more likely than people think, due to the Kunio-kun spirit event being a thing. Which was pretty random to be honest, didn't that event also come around the time talks would have been made for Pass 2? The ArcSys rep would more than likely be Sol, as he's the face of the company. Just like how Terry represents SNK as a whole.

Sol and Phoenix Wright are one of my most wanted (along with Kiryu), so the pass you suggested would be an absolute feverdream.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

He’s the protagonist in the official comics I think, and his background ingame feels protagonist-like tbh.

and yeah he appears to be the mascot imo, he’s always pushed as the main face alongside Ribbon Girl, being in cover art and near or at the front of each piece of artwork featuring them (moreso Spring Man), at least from what I’ve seen.

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord

Spring Man
Paper Mario
Sylux
Gen 8 Pokemon
Rex
Waluigi
After beign bombared with Third Parties left and right, this would be a nice change of pace.

But even then only 2.5 of those 6 interest me (PM, Waaaa, and Sprigy Boy) so im not sure it is the ideal Nintendo Pass (where's mah Bandanna Dee boy at)

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Ugh.

He is the protagonist as far as the minimal story-- at least of the first game.

But Mascot... well we will know that as more art and games emerge from him.
So far I wouldnt call him the mascot. Character based games have the mascot emerge over time.
Like Scorpion from Mortal Kombat or Isabelle from Animal Crossing.
https://twitter.com/NintendoVS/status/1245763498866405378?s=19

They are the mascots. It's explicitly stated right there and should be obvious to anyone. I know anytime someone says Spring Man is the mascot you go: "He won't be in a future game! Just look Scorpion! Scorpion guys! Look at Scorpion!" because you have the biggest hate boner over Spring Man. And, maybe I'm wrong but, it just seems to me that the idea of him being ARMS' mascot makes you sick to your stomach. Because you do this all the time.

*ahem*

I'm sorry. I just had to get that off my chest. Will Spring Man always be the mascot? I don't know. Maybe? Maybe not. But it really doesn't matter what happens in the future because right now he is the mascot along with Ribbon Girl. And Smash is adding characters based on ARMS as it is right now.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Spring Man
Paper Mario
Sylux
Gen 8 Pokemon
Rex
Waluigi
After looking at the responses to this pass, I'm doubling down on my opinion that giving us four third-parties at once was a mistake.

In all honesty, this isn't a very bad lineup of characters, and this actually feels like a very realistic set of base roster newcomers. Had this been the first pass, I think a lot of people would've been happy with it. We have Waluigi and Rex, who are extremely popular in the West and Japan respectively, Spring Man, who comes from a new IP, and Paper Mario, a decently popular character with loads of moveset potential. I can understand why Sylux and Gen 8 Pokemon may not be exciting, but it's not like their presence ruins the whole pass. If the first pass can survive with Byleth, this pass should survive with these two.

Four out of five characters from the first pass were rarely brought up at all, and it still ended up being a success to most people. This list has quite a few characters who are brought up regularly, but it's no good because it's too "safe"? If that's true, then we're reaching a point where people won't be satisfied unless third-parties who are rarely mentioned make up a majority of the selection.

Last edited:

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman

Spring Man
Paper Mario
Sylux
Gen 8 Pokemon
Rex
Waluigi
Eh I'm more into Max Brass but he'd be cool too
YES PLEASE
no attachment to this character but he could be sick
depends on who it is but likely to be sleeper pick like Incineroar
Not hype at all and people will probably end up dropping him day one and start asking for other Xeno reps
If he brings some Mario Party stuff (especially from 3) then he'd be another hype pick

3/6 not bad but not good either.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
After looking at the responses to this pass, I'm doubling down on my opinion that giving us four third-parties at once was a mistake.

In all honesty, this isn't a very bad lineup of characters, and this actually feels like a very realistic set of base roster newcomers. Had this been the first pass, I think a lot of people would've been happy with it. We have Waluigi and Rex, which are extremely popular in the West and Japan respectively, Spring Man, who comes from a new IP, and Paper Mario, a decently popular character with loads of moveset potential. I can understand why Sylux and Gen 8 Pokemon may not be exciting, but it's not like their presence ruins the whole pass. If the first pass can survive with Byleth, this pass should survive with these two.

Four out of five characters from the first pass were rarely brought up at all, and it still ended up being a success to most people. This list has quite a few characters who are brought up regularly, but it's no good because it's too "safe"? If that's true, then we're reaching a point where people won't be satisfied unless third-parties who are rarely mentioned make up a majority of the selection.
This, so much this.

Characters like Joker, Terry and even Banjo have spoiled the Speculators too much on "The Pass must be comoposed of SUPER WILD GUEST CHARACTERS THAT EVERYONE WILL WATCH OUT FOR BECAUSE HOLY ****" type of reveals. Like i don't see FP2 hitting any of the same notes FP1 did.

I do think Third Parties will appear in this Pass, but will not be as wacky as the previous one. Like i don't see a Major Hype Shock like Sora, or an out there reveal like Saber or Master Chief, but rather a more tame one like Rayman, or Crash or the cursed puppet who's name i can't mention. And hell i only see 2 third parties at best, maybe 1 if im generous.

I actually wouldn't mind a more "Safe" approach to this Pass. Im gonna confess here i kinda hated all the out there character reveals, im a boring person and i say that with no shame at all.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
"SPRING MAN ISN'T THE MASCOT OF ARMS, THAT EMERGES OVER A LONG PERIOD OF TI-"

meanwhile the ARMS announcement trailer January 2017

Last edited:

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace

In all honesty, this isn't a very bad lineup of characters, and this actually feels like a very realistic set of base roster newcomers. Had this been the first pass, I think a lot of people would've been happy with it. We have Waluigi and Rex, who are extremely popular in the West and Japan respectively, Spring Man, who comes from a new IP, and Paper Mario, a decently popular character with loads of moveset potential. I can understand why Sylux and Gen 8 Pokemon may not be exciting, but it's not like their presence ruins the whole pass. If the first pass can survive with Byleth, this pass should survive with these two.

Ok...? Yeah, this pass isn't terrible I guess, but you honestly think that getting the bangin' lineup that we got in the the first pass, with many legitimately hype af picks that couldn't be nearly as impactful if they were all choices from Nintendo's wheelhouse (as cool as many Big N choices are), was a MISTAKE? You think that getting a rep from a groundbreaking modern JRPG, followed by getting THE legacy JRPG rep, followed by getting a NINTENDO fan-favorite that the Big N themselves couldn't of had access to without the use of third-party collaboration, followed by a MAJOR face in the fighting game genre responsible for some major shifts in said genre, were all simply a mistake to be featured in the same pass?

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master

Spring Man
Paper Mario
Sylux
Gen 8 Pokemon
Rex
Waluigi
I agree with the others that it's kinda, eh.

2 Mario Characters in one pass might be too much, and even then, it also doesn't help the other Mario Character is Paper Mario. I think for alot of people he's just gonna feel like another Mario, even if he has unique stuff to him. at least with Geno he's such a unique design he doesn't feel like a Mario Character

Sylux is a Terrible Choice in my opinion. at the moment he doesn't have much presence in the metroid series, and the game he's supposed to play a big part in has a indefinite release date at the moment.

Gen 8 Pokemon is eh, though i do feel good amount of people will get hype depending on the Pokemon, cause lots of people love Pokemon. casuals might be good with this

Rex is cool. He's getting justice

This is just an Personal opinion, but While Waluigi is a hype character on his own, I don't think He should get a whole FP to himself. (Also i should probably bring this up for Paper Mario because we already have a Paper Mario stage). He would work better as a Bonus character so there could be more room saved for characters that bring some new worlds and music and such.

D

Deleted member

they should add rex and reuse all his earlygame screams

wanna hear aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiyah in smash

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I kind of feel like the fighter chosen for each fighter pass will be a significant figure to represent a series or game. The issue with Waluigi is... He doesn't do that. He's a side character that isn't a representative of any particular game or series. Now, I like Waluigi and would be happy to see him in Smash, but he doesn't seem like DLC material. What stage would he come with? What music? What Spirits?

The Challenger pack is one solid picture of something. Banjo & Kazooie came with a stage featuring a bunch of characters from the series, and music, and Spirits. The whole pack was "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate × Banjo-Kazooie"

Remember that. Each pack is seemingly designed as a crossover with a certain series or game. Not just a single fighter.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Ok...? Yeah, this pass isn't terrible I guess, but you honestly think that getting the bangin' lineup that we got in the the first pass, with many legitimately hype af picks that couldn't be nearly as impactful if they were all choices from Nintendo's wheelhouse (as cool as many Big N choices are), was a MISTAKE? You think that getting a rep from a groundbreaking modern JRPG, followed by getting THE legacy JRPG rep, followed by getting a NINTENDO fan-favorite that the Big N themselves couldn't of had access to without the use of third-party collaboration, followed by a MAJOR face in the fighting game franchise responsible for some major shifts in that genre, were all simply a mistake to be featured in the same pass?
I'm saying getting them all at once was a mistake because there's this new attitude where a majority of the first-party characters who normally would've been at least somewhat exciting to folks prior to the first pass are now "too safe".

And you're really overselling the DLC. I could just as easily do the same with any character. "You think getting a character from the best and most successful game in one of Nintendo's most profitable franchises was a mistake!?" (Byleth).

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I wish I could say my wish list is wilder and more interesting than many, but I'm into somewhat popular picks for the most part:

6) Lola Pop
7) Crash Bandicoot
8) Impa
9) Dragonborn
10) Bandanna Dee
11) Amaterasu

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm saying getting them all at once was a mistake because there's this new attitude where a majority of the first-party characters who normally would've been at least somewhat exciting to folks prior to the first pass are now "too safe".

And you're really overselling the DLC. I could just as easily do the same with any character. "You think getting a character from the best and most successful game in one of Nintendo's most profitable franchises was a mistake!?" (Byleth).
I mean to me, the big issue was that most of the choices on the hypothetical pass sucked in general. Like it doesn't matter if the pass is mostly first party or mostly third party, I'm not getting excited for ****ing Sylux lmao.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
This, so much this.

Characters like Joker, Terry and even Banjo have spoiled the Speculators too much on "The Pass must be comoposed of SUPER WILD GUEST CHARACTERS THAT EVERYONE WILL WATCH OUT FOR BECAUSE HOLY ****" type of reveals. Like i don't see FP2 hitting any of the same notes FP1 did.

I actually wouldn't mind a more "Safe" approach to this Pass. Im gonna confess here i kinda hated all the out there character reveals, im a boring person and i say that with no shame at all.
I didn't hate that pass because it was "safe" or all 1st party I hated it because it was boring. Half of it are characters with plenty of representation in Smash, two of which are Mario characters the other is a Pokemon that even you admit isn't guaranteed to be exciting. There's also:
No Porky
No King Hippo
No Black Shadow
No Ring Fit Trainer
No Rhythm Heaven character
No Adeline & Ribbon
No Cranky Kong
No Takamaru
No Akira Howard
No GOKU & Chao

Literally no one that makes you "Wow really?" which even Byleth of all characters was able to achieve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom