• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
And that's not to say that popularity or fan demand isn't a good reason to add a character if you were calling the shots since that's your primary gauge for how much/how many people will like it, though making sure the character adds something fun mechanically is even more important. Fortunately though, this seems to be the easy part so long as you understand the character and how to build a cohesive moveset.

This one makes sense if you have the "I hate spoilers" angle.
That's not the point, the point is "trying to convince people by saying their fans want them playable instead of damn near anything else is laughably dumb and can bite the fanbase in the ass if those people have bad experiences with the fanbase as the phrase is 'one bad apple spoils the bunch"

That's different, I mean people who went "HOW DARE THEY ADD THIS CHARACTER THEY SUCK NOBODY WANTED THEM IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN MY FAVOURITE BANJOS ARE A BRAVE INSTRUMENT AND SNK DOESN'T EXIST", getting mad because it got spoiled is a seperate matter entirely

D

Deleted member

Spam
I like pizza
E: This is a buffer post

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
That wasn't what I meant at all, I was just loosely referring to how people grow into wanting characters through influence. It's not something that gets shoved down our throats.

I don't feel great about mentioning it anymore.
Now that we established that I'm simply a dumbass who read your post totally wrong i fail to see why you should feel discouraged. Sorry if I genuinely made you uncomfortable there, now I see that you mean "Hey, try their game out, you might end up loving it", which is indeed a good way to suggest recommendations for games you can get dirt cheap, emulate or get a demo of.
I like pizza
E: This is a buffer post
How the hell is the first post after 17 **** ing minutes when there's 30 ****ing people with accounts viewing this thread

Last edited by a moderator:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Here's my thoughts on disliking a character for their fanbase:

It's a perfectly reasonable emotional reaction to have. Someone did something ****ty to you because of a fictional character in a video game and that sucks, they shouldn't have done that and its a bad thing to do. Alternatively, they acted in a really condescending way to you over a fictional character and that sucks just as much as well. However, it's worth mentioning that's almost always not the majority or even a significant portion of the fanbase. It's a handful of soccer hooligans who, unfortunately, got the mic because negativity tends to spread farther than positivity. In my experience, most people you meet in Smash speculation would rather respectfully disagree and talk about your differences rather than call you an idiot.

Plus, you risk attaching some part of your identity to the character, which is most often when things get really ugly. You're no longer Timmy and Susie, you're Timmy the Geno/Crash/2B supporter and Susie the Geno/Crash/2B detractor. That's what motivates a lot of the really bad toxicity that happens, because characters getting (or not getting) into Smash is no longer a reflection of who would be a fun addition in a crossover platform fighter, it's a reflection on the worth of a part of your identity. If the character you like gets in, you're the hottest **** on the planet and all of those idiotic non-believers just got owned and however do they recover. If someone you don't like gets in, the bad guys have officially won and smash's ruined and however do we recover. Plague of Gripes does a great job touching on this phenomenon and the way it manifests itself in certain Star Wars and Dragon Ball fans in his video essay on Gohan, so I'm gonna use this as an excuse to shill that 10/10 video.

This isn't a super easy thing to do and I myself am more than guilty of it. During my post in the rate the character thread for Min Min yesterday. In it, I gave Min Min a slightly reduced score because it bothered me how some of her fans were trying to claim that Spring Man is 'objectively' more boring than Min Min. In retrospect, that definitely wasn't far to the character or her fans. There's a lot of Min Min supporters in this thread who I have nothing but respect for, and its not fair to paint them with that brush.

That being said, no one's obligated to support any character. Smash speculation is supposed to be for fun, no one here's making any money or gaining any prestige (beyond useless internet points). In at most 18 months, we'll know all the DLC characters and none of predictions will really be remembered or matter. As such, just enjoy the ride for what it is. As such, no one should be forced to support a character because "they deserve it" or "they're gonna happen anyway". If you think someone is getting a little biased and over/underrating certain characters because they don't like them, that's fine, but you have to go in with the knowledge that you can't change everyone's mind and it's okay if you don't. On the flip side, I do believer there's some standard of etiquette when talking about a character you dislike: be reasonably polite and don't go on the offensive against real people. Going "Sorry guys, I'm just not a huge fan of Byleth or ARMS and I think they're somewhat bland and uninteresting"? That's fine and no one should really give that person major trouble. "BYLETH AND ARMS ARE A WASTE OF A SLOT, **** YOU BYLETH/ARMS FANS FOR GETTING THEM IN, AND **** SAKURAI FOR PUTTING HIM IN AND RUINING SMASH'S POTENTIAL"? Probably not appropriate.

TL;DR: Disliking a character for a negative experience with their fans is emotionally reasonable, but try to remember you're most likely dealing with a bad apple. Don't attach yourself or your worth to a character getting into Smash. Disagreement is fine, especially in opinion, but try not to be an asshole when disagreeing.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That's not the point, the point is "trying to convince people by saying their fans want them playable instead of damn near anything else is laughably dumb and can bite the fanbase in the ass if those people have bad experiences with the fanbase as the phrase is 'one bad apple spoils the bunch"

That's different, I mean people who went "HOW DARE THEY ADD THIS CHARACTER THEY SUCK NOBODY WANTED THEM IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN MY FAVOURITE BANJOS ARE A BRAVE INSTRUMENT AND SNK DOESN'T EXIST", getting mad because it got spoiled is a seperate matter entirely
I get what you mean. I was just trying to be thorough with my statement.

Makes sense.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
I love how all of this starts because I asked a question about Geno.

Anyway, waiting for the arm character....I hope they'd be fun.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
That seems a bit too precise. Maybe just allow the player to detonate Geno Whirl whenever, but give the explosion a sweetspot to encourage, but not so strictly enforce precision. Kinda like Din's Fire if it were more versatile.
Oh, yeah, that’s what I mean; pressing B again at anytime would set it off, but if you do it while it’s in the sweet spot, it’ll be extra powerful.

I forgot Geno Flash was a ball of fire that explodes instead of a cannonball. I guess that would be unique compared to everything else we have.

Regardless, my point stands with the rest of Geno's specials. Geno Beam is just a standard beam, and there's no way Sakurai will let it be an attack that reaches across the entire stage unless it's charged for a long time like Thoron. Geno Boost is normally used for other party members, but even if Sakurai let Geno use it for himself, it's essentially a variation of Deep Breathing that effects different stats at best. I don't even know how Geno Blast could be used properly outside a Final Smash or something weak like Heavenly Light; maybe if they limited it to one beam. Then there's Geno Whirl. Even if we get a best case scenario and it's exactly how you described it, that's still very similar to Shuriken of Light.

That's why I think if Geno were to get in, Sakurai would have to make a lot of new attacks that weren't in SMRPG. He might keep the names, but I'm not expecting them to function similarly.
I think Geno Beam would be fine; you would have to charge it up, getting the three red stars, and it would take some seconds. You could stop charging save it for later, but getting attacked while charging would make it reset. The beam could reach across the stage and keep going until it hits a wall (and maybe also when hitting an opponent or up to two), or it could be a shorter-distance beam that fizzles out.

I think Legacy XP handles Geno Blast fine, Geno charges it up (within a shorter amount of time than Geno Beam) and the longer the charge, the more star-beams that rain down in front of him (in a slanted arch instead of straight down); they would also be kinda small, or medium sized. I guess it could be like Heavenly Light though, since that move isn’t in Ultimate.

I think Geno Boost could be a dash attack or something like in Legacy XP, but maybe altered to boost either offense, defense or maybe speed if you push the A button again at the right time. It wouldn’t be too powerful of a boost, of course, and would be temporary.

I still don’t see how Geno Whirl would be like Shuriken of Light aside from being thrown sideways, since it works differently in SMRPG and is much faster as well, going through the opponent while dealing damage (more with a timed button press), but alright. It wouldn’t be the first time a non-clone character takes a move from another, though, or based a move on another. It would look different, too, being a hollow disc that’s a bit larger than the shuriken.

Sakurai would definitely need to make up stuff for his normals, though. He could take the bullets, rocket fist, and star shots, but yeah he’ll have to imagine more things for a good variety. Legacy XP did a good job, so I’m sure Sakurai would do even better :)

Last edited:

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
Here's my thoughts on disliking a character for their fanbase:

It's a perfectly reasonable emotional reaction to have. Someone did something ****ty to you because of a fictional character in a video game and that sucks, they shouldn't have done that and its a bad thing to do. Alternatively, they acted in a really condescending way to you over a fictional character and that sucks just as much as well. However, it's worth mentioning that's almost always not the majority or even a significant portion of the fanbase. It's a handful of soccer hooligans who, unfortunately, got the mic because negativity tends to spread farther than positivity. In my experience, most people you meet in Smash speculation would rather respectfully disagree and talk about your differences rather than call you an idiot.

Plus, you risk attaching some part of your identity to the character, which is most often when things get really ugly. You're no longer Timmy and Susie, you're Timmy the Geno/Crash/2B supporter and Susie the Geno/Crash/2B detractor. That's what motivates a lot of the really bad toxicity that happens, because characters getting (or not getting) into Smash is no longer a reflection of who would be a fun addition in a crossover platform fighter, it's a reflection on the worth of a part of your identity. If the character you like gets in, you're the hottest **** on the planet and all of those idiotic non-believers just got owned and however do they recover. If someone you don't like gets in, the bad guys have officially won and smash's ruined and however do we recover. Plague of Gripes does a great job touching on this phenomenon and the way it manifests itself in certain Star Wars and Dragon Ball fans in his video essay on Gohan, so I'm gonna use this as an excuse to shill that 10/10 video.

This isn't a super easy thing to do and I myself am more than guilty of it. During my post in the rate the character thread for Min Min yesterday. In it, I gave Min Min a slightly reduced score because it bothered me how some of her fans were trying to claim that Spring Man is 'objectively' more boring than Min Min. In retrospect, that definitely wasn't far to the character or her fans. There's a lot of Min Min supporters in this thread who I have nothing but respect for, and its not fair to paint them with that brush.

That being said, no one's obligated to support any character. Smash speculation is supposed to be for fun, no one here's making any money or gaining any prestige (beyond useless internet points). In at most 18 months, we'll know all the DLC characters and none of predictions will really be remembered or matter. As such, just enjoy the ride for what it is. As such, no one should be forced to support a character because "they deserve it" or "they're gonna happen anyway". If you think someone is getting a little biased and over/underrating certain characters because they don't like them, that's fine, but you have to go in with the knowledge that you can't change everyone's mind and it's okay if you don't. On the flip side, I do believer there's some standard of etiquette when talking about a character you dislike: be reasonably polite and don't go on the offensive against real people. Going "Sorry guys, I'm just not a huge fan of Byleth or ARMS and I think they're somewhat bland and uninteresting"? That's fine and no one should really give that person major trouble. "BYLETH AND ARMS ARE A WASTE OF A SLOT, **** YOU BYLETH/ARMS FANS FOR GETTING THEM IN, AND **** SAKURAI FOR PUTTING HIM IN AND RUINING SMASH'S POTENTIAL"? Probably not appropriate.

TL;DR: Disliking a character for a negative experience with their fans is emotionally reasonable, but try to remember you're most likely dealing with a bad apple. Don't attach yourself or your worth to a character getting into Smash. Disagreement is fine, especially in opinion, but try not to be an asshole when disagreeing.
Very good post. It reminded me of my current thought process regarding how I support characters, that being supporting those I like without getting too attached to them.

I was a big supporter of Incineroar back in base game speculation. However, I took people's hate against the character too personally, and eventually I stopped wanting him because it wasn't "cool" to support him like it was with Geno or Banjo. When he was revealed, I loathed his inclusion for a while, before warming up to him and remembering that this was a character I like and wanted, and learned to stop letting other's opinions get to me.

And that takes us here: I now support the characters I like no matter how popular they are, while also not getting too attached to the point where disagreements and anti-supporters affect me negatively.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Sometimes Smash fanbases is like religious combat in Civ. AKA it's really annoying when a neutral civ decides to send 5 apostles to preach the awesomeness of their faith, while you just want to farm gold.

Spread.jpg

You're either with Edgeworth or you're against him. And you don't want to be against Edgeworth, do you?

7NATOR

Smash Master
If I'm Gonna be honest, If Geno gets in, I'm gonna be worried for Waluigi. It's bad enough that a Piranha Plant got in over Waluigi (Not that i hate Plant, just saying), if Geno, who's owned by a 3rd party, gets in over Waluigi, and Waluigi isn't revealed along with Geno, I think that would be the ultimate answer of saying that Waluigi won't be Playable for the forseeable future

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I thought you were talking about Guild Wars 2 and was about to get excited...

I don't think many people could get behind a character from that series, but a Guild Wars spirit event would be pretty nice.
Well, I would get behind that. Incineroar is an easy fit for a Rytlock spirit battle.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
If I'm Gonna be honest, If Geno gets in, I'm gonna be worried for Waluigi. It's bad enough that a Piranha Plant got in over Waluigi (Not that i hate Plant, just saying), if Geno, who's owned by a 3rd party, gets in over Waluigi, and Waluigi isn't revealed along with Geno, I think that would be the ultimate answer of saying that Waluigi won't be Playable for the forseeable future
Eh, I think even if Geno gets in, Waluigi's still possible. Same applies the other way around.

That said, I think the Paper Mario is seriously underrated in terms of likelihood of getting into Smash. He has a speculated (but unrevealed) game coming out soon, and was heavily requested in the Smash 4 days. A ton of Waluigi and Geno fans, use the fact that this year is the 35th anniversary of Mario as "evidence" that their picks will get in (which I don't believe); but that piece of evidence applies doubly to Paper Mario yet those fanbase just ignore him.

That said, there's only 5 slots left, and I can list at least 20 heavily requested characters (that's not counting any sleeper picks). The chance of Geno or Waluigi making it in is still pretty small, as is any other character.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Eh, I think even if Geno gets in, Waluigi's still possible. Same applies the other way around.

That said, I think the Paper Mario is seriously underrated in terms of likelihood of getting into Smash. He has a speculated (but unrevealed) game coming out soon, and was heavily requested in the Smash 4 days. A ton of Waluigi and Geno fans, use the fact that this year is the 35th anniversary of Mario as "evidence" that their picks will get in (which I don't believe); but that piece of evidence applies doubly to Paper Mario yet those fanbase just ignore him.

That said, there's only 5 slots left, and I can list at least 20 heavily requested characters (that's not counting any sleeper picks). The chance of Geno or Waluigi making it in is still pretty small, as is any other character.
I think it's because many people just See Paper Mario as another Mario, and also because Paper Mario isn't in his Prime hype these days, while Waluigi and Geno have the most hype they ever had

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think Geno Beam would be fine; you would have to charge it up, getting the three red stars, and it would take some seconds. You could stop charging and save it for later, but getting attacked while charging would make it reset. The beam could reach across the stage and keep going until it hits a wall (and maybe also when hitting an opponent or up to two), or it could be a shorter-distance beam that fizzles out.
You could alternatively force Geno to commit to the attack by always having him fire the beam. Lower levels of charge would still be a decently large hitbox (like the Belmont's Forward Tilts), but deal very little damage. The fully charged version would be the huge beam of death. You could also add the action command timing part with an overcharged version that has the same size hitbox as the fully charged version, but the lowest amount of damage.

You're either with Edgeworth or you're against him. And you don't want to be against Edgeworth, do you?
I'm not worried. I know his weakness.

Well, I would get behind that. Incineroar is an easy fit for a Rytlock spirit battle.
I love it. Have it hold a Killing Edge, and spam Revenge.

Super bonus points if the Spirit Event comes with a music track like Fear Not This Night. Don't think they'd do that though.

MagnesD3

Smash Master

Dang you must really hate banjo, I skim the thread a lot and I find like 70% of the time I’ll find a comment with you just taking a jab at people who like banjo randomly when possible, it’s just an interesting observation.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Dang you must really hate banjo, I skim the thread a lot and I find like 70% of the time I’ll find a comment with you just taking a jab at people who like banjo randomly when possible, it’s just an interesting observation.
As far as I've seen she doesn't hate the character, just dumb arguments, and as Banjo & Kazooie were very popular characters, there were many a dumb argument on their behalf.

No Patric, banjos are not a brave instrument. (Though I don't remember seeing this "argument" said in a non-joking fashion)

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
From the writers of the hit "Anime Swordsman" and the producers of the award-winning "Punchy Cereal Box Mascot", we here at Smash Buzzwords Enterprises are here to bring you the hit new argument that makes you want to get a lobotomy...

"Guy with a Gun for an Arm!"
Premiering soon at a forum near you.
Why did it take me this long to realize these three buzzwords match the three Mii Fighter types?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Ah so that's why we don't have a Mii Mage. The archetype isn't oversaturated yet. :4pacman:
On that note, I don't know why people keep clamoring for a Mii Mage since magic spells are functionally identical to Mii gunner projectiles.
Is it because of the wand? People want Mii Gunners with a sword-esque disjoint?

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
New game: someone throws out a random word and whomever responds gives a fighter who's codename that could be. Next person then gives a new random word, repeat until it gets boring.

I'll start: tortilla

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
On that note, I don't know why people keep clamoring for a Mii Mage since magic spells are functionally identical to Mii gunner projectiles.
That's the only real difference too. The weapons mainly.

It's kind of an issue with fighting games. Magic isn't really different from "projectiles" or "elemental physical blows" at some points. Or other defensive stuff like a Mirror Shield/Reflector. There's no hard MP cost by default, which is a core of what Magic is more about than the exact results, as they're tons of ways to use Magic as is. Ganondorf is a magic user(though Smash treats "Magic" as its own element as well, which Ganondorf doesn't particularly use. He uses mainly Electricity and Darkness in itself).

But that's just how games are. They don't make perfect sense, heh.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
The official Smash lore is that Cutie Gwen is wynn728's echo fighter. They have similar posting strategies but wynn's revolves around hating ATs and Byleth while Gwen's is centered around Banjo and Spring Man.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Okay, so I saw a Twitter post, and it got me curious. Assuming promotions are a thing this pass, who do you think is more likely: Rex or Isaac?

Before anyone asks, the post in question was speculating we could get one of them, but not both. Note that the keyword is "speculating". Also, please refrain from arguing about it. We just got done with ANOTHER Geno debate...

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Okay, so I saw a Twitter post, and it got me curious. Assuming promotions are a thing this pass, who do you think is more likely: Rex or Isaac?

Before anyone asks, the post in question was speculating we could get one of them, but not both. Note that the keyword is "speculating". Also, please refrain from arguing about it. We just got done with ANOTHER Geno debate...
I think Rex is more likely, since Sakurai wanted to include both him and an ARMS character in the base game, but couldn't due to poor timing. We got ARMS as DLC, so I think Rex has a shot.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Woah I got a lot of replies while I was away. I want to reply to them but I'll put them in spoilers since I'm late.

For me, the problem with Geno is that Sakurai would have to make a lot of the moveset from scratch. He has his standard finger bullets, but not many of Geno's five special attacks can be used in Smash, and the ones that can feel almost identical to existing attacks.

Also, the appealing design thing really depends on the person, because I know a lot of people (myself included) consider a wooden puppet with a blue cape and hat to be somewhat generic and out of place for a Mario character. No offense to his supporters, but from my point of view, he genuinely does feel like a Deviantart OC that made it into a Mario game.
Not really. Most of his normals could be covered by using his finger bullets, arm punch shot and hand cannon. You could throw a kick in there and maybe a headbutt but that's just to fill space. Of course you have to take some creative liberties with how he does the attack but to be fair, every first party character in the game does this.

Also I don't see how Geno couldn't use his special attacks. Geno Beam for Neutral Special, Geno Whirl for Side Special, Geno Blast for Down Special, Geno Boost for Up special and Geno Flash for his Final Smash. They all sound perfectly fitting to me, maybe not Geno Boost but you got those up arrows to make it work.

Geno has his fans and his haters so it's all that "each to their own" kind of thing. I just find him appealing because his sharp blue clothes are eye catching and his face is obscured so he's kind of like a mystery guy.

You just answered your own question.
I don't follow. Is it because people wouldn't like a gun mage over another Swordfighter or is it his hat and cape? Maybe his eyes are a little creepy but I don't think they'd give people nightmares.

I think that Chill Penguin from Mega Man X would be a rather neat addition to the roster. Do I vocalize that desire? No, because he's an irrelevant one off. I would be laughed off the site if I started campaigning for him. What's different between him and Geno?
Don't you vocalise your desire for Grovyle though? Both him and Geno are one off characters from their respective series that serve a similar purpose in their stories. Furthermore are you getting laughed off from the site for supporting Grovyle? Why should Geno fans be ashamed for vocalising their desire to see Geno in Smash?

To be fair, that's mostly subjective and conjectural.

"He has moveset potential!" So does literally every other character. Sakurai's done amazing things, so anyone could get a lovingly-crafted moveset (except for Zelda characters, evidently)
"He'd be unique!" Sakurai can even make Wolf and Fox feel wholly different. Sharing a similar build to anyone in the cast (or even two people holding swords) doesn't make them clones. Yeah, Geno could work off of Mii Gunner as a base and then get changed enough to be really unique with a few vestigial moves.
"He has an appealing design!" is subjective. He definitely stands out from the Mario cast, so it depends if you like the uniqueness or dislike the clashing. And everyone has different tastes as well. Heck, I think that viking themes are the best, but that doesn't mean that everyone else does.
I don't understand. Isn't the whole point of seeing the appeal of characters arguable and subjective? I'm just giving subjective reasons as to why some people see the appeal of Geno. I don't know what you want me to say here. I can't give you facts otherwise it'd be factually objective to like Geno and that doesn't make any sense.

Edit: I apologise for missing this part out.

I know I could talk at length about how my favorite could be unique (I've made full movesets) and would look great in Smash (again, I've written full concepts of stage ideas, costumes, Kirby hats, etc. in the thread) and has a lot of importance in general (see the discussion from before). I could easily wonder why there is anyone who doesn't see them that way.

And yet, I know you've straight up said a few days ago in this thread that my favorite is one of the characters you actively don't want to see in.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a problem. I'm not mad about it. You're allowed to like and dislike whatever you want. I'm just pointing out that it's perfectly understandable for some people to dislike something even if you think it's the coolest thing ever.
I mean I do understand that people don't like Geno but I was just curious as to see if people truly disliked him as a character or just hated him due to the fanbase. I just think it's pretty silly to dislike a character in general just because of a fanbase. It's just as silly as people disliking Steve because of the people posting Grotesque Steve. I mean you're judging a character outside of what they represent instead of pointing out what you don't like about the character so the criticism doesn't hold any weight against them.

I'm not a huge fan of Geno so criticisms like being a one off obscure character from a single game and having a personality of a wet carpet are absolutely fine. I can agree and disagree with them all I want but those opinions are there to stay as long as the person feels that way so it's all good.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Why did it take me this long to realize these three buzzwords match the three Mii Fighter types?

Anyways, how would people feel about this moveset I made for Axel Stone?
Intro: Axel walks in from the background (from the side in his home stage)

Stance/Idle 1: His idle animation from Streets of Rage 2.

Idle 2: Axel wipes his face with his right hand.

Idle 3: The “GO!” arrow appears over Axel’s HUD.

Notable Palette Swaps:
-Default (White)
-Blaze Fielding (Red with brown hair)
-Adam Hunter (Yellow with black hair)
-Max “Thunder” Hatchett (Brown with black hair)
-Eddie “Skate” Hunter (Yellow with red hair)
-Dr. Gilbert Zan (Blue with white hair)
-SoR2 Shiva (Black with black hair)
-Mr. X (Green with black hair)

Walk: Axel slowly side-steps forwards.

Jog: His walk from the games.

Dash: His dash from the games.

Damage: His damage animation from the games.

Jump: His jump from the games.

Crouch: Axel puts one hand on the ground, as if he were trying to get an item (the item pickup animation is exactly how it is from the games when Axel DOES get an item).

Weapon of Choice: Axel’s combat style is entirely hand-to-hand.

Jab: Axel punches twice with his left hand (5%, small knockback) and then a third time with his right hand (6%, small knockback)
Forward+A: Axel kicks outward with his left leg (8%, OK knockback)
Down+A: Axel kicks along the floor with his right leg, which can trip the target (7%, small knockback)
Up+A: Axel performs an uppercut with his right hand (12%, OK knockback)

Aerials
Air+A: Axel performs a backflip kick with his right leg (11%, OK knockback); taken from one of Skate’s normal attacks.
Air Forward+A: Axel kicks outwards with his left leg (10%, OK knockback)
Air Back + A: Axel kicks backwards with his both legs (14%, OK knockback); taken from one of Skate’s aerials.
Air Up+A: Axel kicks upwards with his right leg (12%, OK knockback)
Air Down+A: Axel knees the target with both knees (13% with a meteor effect, OK knockback)

Dash Attack: Thunder Tackle; Axel charges forward and attacks with his elbow (15%, OK knockback); taken from one of Max’s specials.
Edge Attack: Axel sweeps with his left leg as he gets back up (11%, OK knockback)
Get-Up Attack: Axel jumps up and kicks out with both legs (10%, OK knockback); loosely taken from one of Skate’s aerials.

Smash Moves
Forward+A: Knuckle Bomb; Axel swings both his fists forward (23%, medium knockback); taken from one of Max’s specials.
Up+A: Embukyaku; Axel kicks upwards with his left leg (22%, medium knockback); taken from one of Blaze’s specials.
Down+A: Double Spin Kick; Axel sweeps across the ground with both legs (19%, medium knockback); taken from one of Skate’s specials.

Grab: His grab from the games.
Pummel: Axel knees the target (2%)
Forwards+Throw: Axel headbutts the target (14%, OK knockback)
Down+Throw: Axel Toss; Axel vaults over the target and throws them down on the ground, burying them (15%)
Back+Throw: Axel drops his back onto the ground and throws the target backwards (13%, OK knockback)
Up+Throw: Axel briefly jumps up, and then kicks upwards while holding the target (16%, OK knockback); taken from one of Skate’s throws.

Special Moves
B : Dragon Smash; by holding B, Axel charges up a flurry of punches that he unleashes after, finishing with an uppercut (22%, medium knockback; 2.1% recoil)
B + Forwards : Grand Upper; Axel dashes forward and uppercuts the target with great vertical height (17%, medium knockback; 1.2% recoil); it’s basically Captain Falcon’s Raptor Boost, but with less distance.
B + Up : Grand Hook; Axel performs a 360 Dragon Wing with emphasis on horizontal movement (11%, OK knockback), and finishes with an uppercut with emphasis on vertical movement (18%, medium knockback; 1.7% recoil)
B + Down : Dragon Wing; Axel punches in a 360 turn (9%, small knockback), and then punches straight forward (19%, medium knockback; 1.6% recoil)

Final Smash: Police Backup; Axel punches up to three targets at once (9%), and then said targets are dragged into a cutscene where Axel radios in for backup. A police car arrives and the cops fire their bazookas at the targets, who are trapped in a ring of flames followed by an explosion (53%, devastating knockback).

Gimmick: Axel’s damage slowly rises whenever he uses a special move; however, there’s a meter you’re granted at the start of each stock that grants you one special move without damage. This meter has a 5-second cool down between special moves.

Taunts
1: “Go straight!” Axel mimics his pose from SoR2’s US box art.
2: Axel mimics his pose from Bare Knuckle 2’s box art.
1+2: Axel mimics his pose from SoR3’s box art.

Winposes
1: Axel loosely mimics his pose from Bare Knuckle’s box art.
2: Axel looks towards the distance, and waves towards an incoming helicopter.
3: Axel knockout punches a Y. Signal and Donovan and then jump-kicks a Galsia unconscious; loosely based on SoR1’s US box art.

Icon: The “R” in the first game’s logo.

Boxing Ring Title: Bare-Knuckled Ex-Cop

Victory Music: youtu.be/VyUmHYtG3xc

Kirby Hat: Axel’s hair and bandana

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Wasn't expecting Geno to take up a majority of today's discussion.

To be fair, Geno's already teetering on that possibility himself. Back in Smash 4, Sakurai said a few things about Geno's popularity and how he would love to see him in Smash. SE was already involved with Smash at this time. Flash forward to Ultimate — by all accounts, this should be Geno's best chance of getting in. Despite that, we have a second SE rep that isn't Geno (one that was planned for the base game), a Piranha Plant with nonexistent support, and practically every other uberpopular request (Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo). Geno got a Spirit, which strongly suggests that SE doesn't have an issue with Geno being in Smash.

We already know Sakurai didn't add Geno in the base roster when he had the chance, so now he won't have much input. It all falls on Nintendo to choose Geno, and that's not very reassuring considering how well they've treated SMRPG over the years. If Geno can't get in a game like Ultimate, then I don't see how he'll have a better shot in the next Smash game.

Rex. Nintendo has very little to gain from including Isaac unless a new game is coming out.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
View attachment 271204

Missed opportunity to say this dude.
This had better not be a spoiler (not sure how it would be since I don't have context for it, but considering that a type of breakfast food is a potential spoiler, I don't even know any more); this forum has already spoiled me on Persona 5, and I'm just starting the third one.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
This had better not be a spoiler (not sure how it would be since I don't have context for it, but considering that a type of breakfast food is a potential spoiler, I don't even know any more); this forum has already spoiled me on Persona 5, and I'm just starting the third one.
People just call him door-kun because he has no personality. There's no other reason for it.

D

Deleted member

Are games all this thread ever does now? It's kinda tedious and boring to say the least...=/

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Are games all this thread ever does now? It's kinda tedious and boring to say the least...=/
Unless they decide to announce said ARMS fighter much sooner, we still have 5-6 weeks left until that and FP7 potentially are revealed.

Not much to speculate unless something gets leaked too. :/

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Mostly for feel. The wizard outfit is cool, but it still looks like a gunner. Besides, their specials don't all have to be projectiles. You could do some pretty cool things with it by giving them utility spells. The Mii Fighters love ripping off other characters right? Why not make some summoner specials that use slightly modified variants of Phantom Slash and Luma Shot, with the latter giving you a temporary companion.

We just had a big conversation that wasn't a game. It just ended half a page ago. So now...

It's game time!
Spring Mario

Boogaloo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom