• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

andree123

Smash Ace
Super Mario Maker 2 is getting one last update.

Everything looks pretty cool, but I wonder if they'll finally give us a Spirit event for this game tomorrow.
The English trailer accidentally uses footage from a earlier version of the game which the SMB3 Koopaling sprites are in the SMW style.
But the Japanese trailer has the proper Koopaling SMW sprites.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I mean, what spirits could they bring that would be specifically be tied to Mystery dungeon? Most of the popular Pokémon are already spirits and it doesn't have any exclusive characters.
If LGPE could have a spirit event, so could PMD. It'd work even better, as the MD characters are, well, characters, not generic beasts. The lack of an event is still suspicions to me.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If LGPE could have a spirit event, so could PMD. It'd work even better, as the MD characters are, well, characters, not generic beasts. The lack of an event is still suspicions to me.
LGPE didn't really have a spirit event in the same vein as the ones we wait for every two weeks.

You forgot to mention they could use art made specifically for MD.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think Ness' most uniques attributes are his second jump and his recovery. Perhaps the fighter would be someone that can jump higher, and/or that can somehow hurt himself for recovery or for another reason?
I mean, if I can play devil's advocate. One move we've discussed using for Layton was the sleep bomb's from the sixth game, which can be navigated around much like Ness/Lucas's PK thunder and Snake's side special move.

Out of the three, I suppose Ness's would probably work the closest thing as they'd mainly have to change the movement angle from 360 degrees to 90 degrees and replacing the electrical property with a sleep property that causes a direct hit over multi hit like Lucas. I suppose they could also have the move backfire on him too if he's not careful for some added risk.

Also both characters have simple dot eyed faces if that... counts for anything....

But that's all just assuming if this whole thing means much to begin with I suppose...
Just my two cents on that.

Last edited:

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
I'm thinking we're gonna get a Mario rep for the 35th anniversary. Bets are on Paper Mario, Waluigi, or some form of Toad.

I think you can guess who I don't think has a chance.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm thinking we're gonna get a Mario rep for the 35th anniversary. Bets are on Paper Mario, Waluigi, or some form of Toad.

When have we ever gotten a character because it was their anniversary? :240:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I hazard to think I have a pretty good guess...

Let's look at the facts: Kersti is from a heavily disliked Mario game, she's not popular among Smash fans or even Mario fans in general (certainly not to the point that Sakurai would acknowledge it), she has little to no potential for a fun moveset, and hasn't been acknowledged in the Smash series before in anything more meaningful than a mere trophy in Smash for 3DS... not exactly the type of character that would have a shot at being playable and make a lot of Smash fans happy. The only reason I can think of for wanting her in over other characters, is if you just wanted to be needlessly spiteful.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
If they put Toad in the game as playable, I hope they let him use the Cursed Key (now it has an official name thanks to SMM2) for a move. That or make it a regular item and a rare spawn from Peach's down-b in the next Smash.

It's a regular throwable object, but it deals massive damage and knockback, similar to an hammer; the problem is that as you grab it, Phanto masks will chase you.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
When have we ever gotten a character because it was their anniversary? :240:
The best we've gotten is a veteran reveal. I can understand them planning the timing of a reveal around an anniversary, even a non-veteran, but it isn't chosen simply because of the anniversary itself.

But a Mario character coming to promote a huge amount of Mario stuff? That makes sense. Not "cause anniversary" but because "new/remastered game" instead. Every newcomer for Pass DLC so far is painted with one game logo anyway. It could be Paper Mario, Geno, Waluigi, maybe Captain Toad(or regular Toad, but regular would clash with Peach/Daisy's moveset, while the rest are easy to get around anyway in comparison, so I doubt it). Regardless, that's 5 quite notable options they could go with to promote a new Mario game. If it's someone not in the literal new game(say it's a Super Mario Sunshine remaster. Only Toad would be among those 5 listed, probably. But if Toad wasn't playable, well, see the next line), then it'd be more promotional timing for the franchise either way.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
...Do you honestly believe Sakurai added Little Mac to Smash because of an anniversary some years later? Especially when it's not an actual game?

Because that's what the point is. Nobody was added to Smash itself due to an anniversary. The timing of when to reveal them, however, does sometimes happen on Anniversaries.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Bro. What did Lubba ever do to you?

Bakabridget

Smash Cadet
NNID
Bakabridget
I never see anyone consider shadowverse as a possibility for dlc. and I'm going to say the chances are not high but I think they're enough to at least warrant SOME discussion.

Things cygames have going for them for a rep:
Really big in Japan
Evo sponsor
Nintendo partnership (dragalia lost)

Things Shadowverse has going against it:
Competition from Granblue and Dragalia
Sakurai might be confused about moveset

Things shadowverse has going for it:
Huge in japan
Officially released in the west even if it's not as big as hearthstone here
Holds a guinness world record
Cygames started to promote it more around the time fp2 was potentially decided
Got an anime recently
Getting a game on the switch soon.

I'm not saying the chances are high and i think individually a lot these points wouldnt mean much, but starting to promote shadowverse more around the dlc deciding time, the anime, and the game annoucned for switch all happened so close together to raise eyebrow. These things definitely happen, so it could just be a coincidence but like, they never put this much effort into promoting shadowverse before.

As for playable rep, I'm thinking it'd either be Arisa (and archer) or Rowen (uses a spear). Arisa is the first leader you're introduced too being a big part of the tutorial and the leader of the first class you play as. Rowen is the leader of dragoncraft and, as you know, cygames happens to be obsessed with dragons. The protagonist of the new yugioh ripoff anime, i mean shadowverse anime happens to be a dragoncraft player.

Moveset can easily be decided based on cards from their class like forestcraft has a card "aria's whirlwind" she couild have a whirlwind for one of her moves based on this card. Etc.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I never see anyone consider shadowverse as a possibility for dlc. and I'm going to say the chances are not high but I think they're enough to at least warrant SOME discussion.

Really big in Japan
Evo sponsor

Huge in japan
Got an anime recently

I'm not saying the chances are high and i think individually a lot these points wouldnt mean much, but starting to promote shadowverse more around the dlc deciding time, the anime, and the game annoucned for switch all happened so close together to raise eyebrow. These things definitely happen, so it could just be a coincidence but like, they never put this much effort into promoting shadowverse before.

As for playable rep, I'm thinking it'd either be Arisa (and archer) or Rowen (uses a spear). Arisa is the first leader you're introduced too being a big part of the tutorial and the leader of the first class you play as. Rowen is the leader of dragoncraft and, as you know, cygames happens to be obsessed with dragons. The protagonist of the new yugioh ripoff anime, i mean shadowverse anime happens to be a dragoncraft player.

Moveset can easily be decided based on cards from their class like forestcraft has a card "aria's whirlwind" she couild have a whirlwind for one of her moves based on this card. Etc.
Eh, I still think Dragalia Lost is more likely purely because of the Nintendo partnership. Then again, I've never even heard of Shadowverse, so what do I know?

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
With the exception of Dragalia Lost (seeing how that's a mainline Nintendo series), I think mobile reps are more likely to get the indie treatment: no playable characters, but plenty of mii costumes, spirits, and possibly music.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Do currently we have any mobile game content in smash at all?
Off the top of my head, we have one remix that comes from Fire Emblem Heroes, but I believe that's it. No Super Mario Run, no Animal Crossing Pocket camp, not even Pokemon Go.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Off the top of my head, we have one remix that comes from Fire Emblem Heroes, but I believe that's it. No Super Mario Run, no Animal Crossing Pocket camp, not even Pokemon Go.
I think we have music from Fire Emblem Heroes. Might be it?
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I think it was called "Gear Up For".

EDIT: I looked it up, and it's "Gear Up For..." with an ellipsis. So I'm technically wrong but it's super minor.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Do we currently have any mobile game content in smash at all?
We have a single Fire Emblem Heroes song and I remember this because when it was first unveiled in like September 2018 (or maybe earlier, i'm not good on dates) everyone got a stick up their ass thinking it meant Fire Emblem was getting more "unnecessary love" from Sakurai.

If Nintendo wanted a mobile game character, I guess Draglia Lost's bootleg Shulk makes an easy choice.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord

Really big in Japan
Evo sponsor

Huge in japan
Got an anime recently

I like Shadowverse but it would never get in over Granblue. It's Cygames' flagship game by a significant margin. Also nobody plays Shadowverse for its main characters lol, and they have next to no moveset potential.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
shadowverse this, granblue that

everyone knows smash bros is sponsored by raid: shadow legends :nifty:

Bakabridget

Smash Cadet
NNID
Bakabridget
The moveset potential is there, it's based on the cards.

Arisa: Up b - airbound barrage, leaps into the air and rains down a hail of arrows.

neutral b: entangling vines, charges up and fires an arrow, at full charge, the arrows cause vines to grow on hit plays snaring them into place,

Down b: Aria's whirlwind, surrounds arisa ina whirlwind blowing back enemies and projectiles.

side b: summon roach. Sends a whirlwind rhinoceroach at the opponent, it's very weak and does litlte damage and dies very easily, much like a pikmin but hte gimmick is that it gets stronger each time you use it in the same stock making the opponent want to finish you quickly. There's a cooldown between uses so you can't just spam it to quickly rank it up.

Fox, falco, wolf, captain falcon, villager, wii fit trainer, duck hunt, just to name a few characters with no moveset potential.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Broke: RAID Shadow Legends
Woke: Valorant

:secretkpop:

for real tho why am I seeing Valorant everywhere???

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Speaking of Cygames, didn't they do one of the Three Houses remixes? Their music division, anyway. It would suggest they're at least willing to work in Smash...

SKX31

Smash Master
Broke: RAID Shadow Legends
Woke: Valorant

:secretkpop:

for real tho why am I seeing Valorant everywhere???
Made by Riot and features LoL characters (Edit: Nope, not so far in beta it seems. My mistake. Still features LoL / Overwatch-esque abilities). It's also recognizably Counter-Strike esque game. I'm not surprised it got big fast.

It's one of the new LoL projects (and not the one that might be coming to the Switch, that's another project).

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Ah **** I'm confilcted on my desire for Sol as if he gets in, there's no way in hell he'll bring Strive songs and I'm ****in addicted to Colours
At first I was more into Society and Fight like a Tiger but Colours ends being a ****ing massive ride of a song. It's incredible lol

But yeah if Sol somehow manages to be in Smash I don't think we're getting Strive songs, if he's #5 or #6 then maybe. At best I'd expect Smell of the Game coming with him, which would be great as well.
I'd imagine most of the songs would be classic ones and 2-3 from Xrd while Sol's design would be a mix of the classic one and his Xrd incarnation (but his newest design's still the best)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
We have a single Fire Emblem Heroes song and I remember this because when it was first unveiled in like September 2018 everyone got a stick up their ass thinking it meant Fire Emblem was getting more "unnecessary love" from Sakurai.
Well, there is something to be said about the series getting very disproportionate love in the musical department (Fire Emblem gets 12 new compositions, Mega Man gets 17, but Xenoblade Chronicles gets 0 and Yoshi's Island gets 1), but still that's pretty silly.

side b: summon roach.
Um, no. Sorry, the only roach I will tolerate is Daroach. :4pacman:

But anyway, what exactly is Shadowverse, and who would you pick from that game?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Well, there is something to be said about the series getting very disproportionate love in the musical department (Fire Emblem gets 12 new compositions, Mega Man gets 17, but Xenoblade Chronicles gets 0 and Yoshi's Island gets 1), but still that's pretty silly.
I'll let it slide for Xenoblade, no need to remix it as is if it's already perfect. :denzel:

Bakabridget

Smash Cadet
NNID
Bakabridget
Shadowverse is a f2p card game for pc and mobile. It got an anime recently and is getting a game on the switch. It holds a world record for most players playing an online game in a live event. I'd pick Arisa from it. I think her cards work the best into making a moveset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom