• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The "Fixed" version make him look fragile & doesn't fit the job he has (it's a dive suit, a fantasy them one, yes, but a dive suit nonetheless).

I'm all for redesigning Rex if he were to reappear in another game (with say, the power of TIMESKIP), but this ain't the way imo.

Also, this added shoulder pad look ugly, what's it's there for? His suit ain't a battle or knight armor.
Tbf Rex doesn't look like he has a diving suit at all when his helmet looks more like a hoodie in his artwork and has a lot of exposed skin, which a diving suit shouldn't have, but this 'fixed' version is also bad yes.

Also it's funny how the 'fixed' versions of Pyra, Mythra and other fine examples look more horny due to accidentally understanding on how to emphasize shown skin
You know that's not my point. My point is that Cherche is a wyvern rider, which typically have a hankering for armor because they ride jagged and rough dragons and are usually front-liners. Instead, Cherche dresses like she's going to a club which no protection. Her legs are gonna be cut-up just from riding her dragon.

Tharja's design is more terrible in context when you realize she's supposed to be the fetish character. She stalks the player character, is a witch, fights in a bikini, and can punish you as her husband. I mean, it worked for me, but there's a reason someone like her doesn't appear in Three Houses.
Iirc Tharja's outfit would be rather practical for her home as she lives in a desert area, I ****ing despise her character and everything she stands for, but the outfit makes sense in context like how Mythra and Nia's second outfit fits her despite how I hate the latter XB2 example

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Rex is a deep sea diver, there's a reason his armor is all bulk and not slimmed down like that.
Ahh, I see. As a deep sea diving enthusiast myself, I too make sure my suit exposes my arms and inner thighs.

There being a reason a design looks that way =/= the design looking good, especially when the design contradicts the reason in the first place.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah I get that FE Awakening got a lot of **** for being different, and more 'anime' than the earlier FE's, but my point was that it had enough redeeming qualities to justify the new direction. It's the same with Three Houses being called 'Persona Emblem' for a while at launch, but eventually it ended up being the most well-liked FE game due to its likeable characters.

I'm hoping whatever Xenoblade game comes next steers away from the 'cuz anime tiddy' route, because that would pretty much ruin the franchise for me. Unfortunately it seems the sales and reception of XC2 will lead to us getting Highschool DxD: the JRPG sooner than later.

It will be weird, though, if the hate continues after the next new Xenoblade game. Until then, I think it's understandable that people continue to voice their dislike and concern, given its still the most recent entry.
Honestly, I never really thought of Fire Emblem Awakening to be all too anime. Yeah, it's a bit more than previous titles before it. But the most anime title in Fire Emblem remains Fates I feel. Awakening had the children and marriage aspect yes, and thus coupling characters became a thing....but that wasn't new at all! It been around since Fire Emblem 4, even though that game was never released outside of Japan.

That stuff about XB2 sounds hardcore though... Is it really all that bad with the sexualisation of that game? I could see where that would bug with fans of the franchise if that never happened before.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Ahh, I see. As a deep sea diving enthusiast myself, I too make sure my suit exposes my arms and inner thighs.

There being a reason a design looks that way =/= the design looking good, especially when the design contradicts the reason in the first place.
Tbf designs can say a lot about a character and their relationships with other characters, it's just that Rex fails to convey his character in his design

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Tbf Rex doesn't look like he has a diving suit at all when his helmet looks more like a hoodie in his artwork and has a lot of exposed skin, which a diving suit shouldn't have, but this 'fixed' version is also bad yes.

Also it's funny how the 'fixed' versions of Pyra, Mythra and other fine examples look more horny due to accidentally understanding on how to emphasize shown skin

Iirc Tharja's outfit would be rather practical for her home as she lives in a desert area, I ****ing despise her character and everything she stands for, but the outfit makes sense in context like how Mythra and Nia's second outfit fits her despite how I hate the latter XB2 example
Yeah, but the thing is, Rex suit when outside of his job isn't the full suit.

That's the full suit when he goes salvaging.

Here's all the skin is covered and the helmet fit like you expect it would. It does still look exaggerated in some places I admit, and I wish the legs were still covered on the surface/in battle, but outside of that, I can understand what they were going for for the normal design (wearing too much on you ain't good for doing spin or complex movement in battle), and that's why I wish a good redesign for Rex could still carry the dive suit look without making him look weak or losing that theme.

Last edited:

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Tbf designs can say a lot about a character and their relationships with other characters, it's just that Rex fails to convey his character in his design
Yeah, I agree. Just look at doomguy. Being fully armored except for his massive biceps perfectly conveys how he's a total hyperexaggeration of masculinity -- despite it being about as practical as a boob window in fantasy armor.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Look I just love when a fictional character has an actual reason to look Like That in universe, I did this yesterday with Kainé though her reason is huuuge spoiler territory, even my obscure weeb **** does this
You can tell what tone this is supposed to convey because of one, specific choice, **** like this is why I love visual media

Here's all the skin is covered and the helmet fit like you expect it would. It does still look exaggerated in some places I admit, and I wish the legs were still covered on the surface/in battle, but outside of that, I can understand what they were going for for the normal design (wearing too much on you ain't good for doing spin or complex movement in battle), and that's why I wish a good redesign for Rex could still carry the dive suit look without making him look weak or losing that theme.
Bro movement speed in combat barely exists in XB2 so this makes sense but doesn't at the same time. First I learn the main story can lock you out due to RNG, now this

Renmazuo

Smash Cadet
The longevity of hatred isn't a thing for Awakening, that goes to Fates, which would fit your comparison much better

Marriage was a system in FE4 and matchmaking was always a thing in Fire Emblem as seen with paired endings and limited supports, which was 5 per character pre-Awakening. The criticism there is about how much emphasis it got in Awakening due to it being integral to the story, you REALLY should have used Fates as a example as that game has the same thing, only not justified in story and has a ****ton of awful implications including "Wow incest and deadbeat parents are so cool". Meanwhile XB2 has characters with boobs that move at mach 5 contantly blush because Protagonist-kun is soooo attractive. XB2 has the sleepwalking scene, XB2 has Tora lusting over an 8 year old wiggling her ass in a bunny suit, having multiple girls fight and call eachother degrading things because "Protagonist-kun likes me more!" "No he liked me more!". None of these fit at all in the prior games, the closest there is to it is Melia having feelings for Shulk but knowing Shulk doesn't share the feelings, which Sharla picks up on and talks to Melia about how she needs to accept that Shulk loves someone else. Meanwhile Rex doesn't realize all the ladies want him and doesn't understand why a woman would blush when he talks about penis jokes. Why is the game which was advertised as "If X disappointed you then you'll like this" so drastically different in tone from the first game? Awakening never pretended it was a return to form for the series and unlike 2, so the Awakening's more comedic tone doesn't get as much flak for being different as again, 2 was billed as a return to form after X but had a tone that fit neither prior games

There's a huge difference between filler and straightup nothing important happening. A major point of contention for 2 is the pacing, by the time the plot starts going somewhere is around the time you explore Prison Island in 1, in which you witnessed the attack on Colony 9, the aftermath of Colony 6, the twist that Faced Mechon aren't mindless beasts, the assassination plot against Melia,and obviously the thing that'll help make Faced Mechon easier to deal with. It's been a while since I played Awakening's story so I admittedly can't comment on Valm. For FFVII, Red's arc serves as developing him, obviously, but FFVII's filled with silly filler, the issue for XB2 isn't filler, it's that it takes forever for the plot to start going somewhere, and when it takes 10-20 hours to start getting some story progress in an 80 or so hour JRPG, then there's an issue.

Honestly, at first I thought this was meant as a criticism about Fire Emblem fans conviniently forgetting how games like 7 and 8 became either tropey, brimming with fanservice or both and how both Awakening and 2 are criticized for weaker writing, but it becomes obvious that the post was made because someone who's bitter people didn't like their favourite entry in the series. This completely ignores the context of the criticisms, how both games handled criticisms of prior installments, how FE had a better example and how both were marketed. Overall, I found this post very disappointing
The longevity of hatred was totally a thing, the game got dunked on for years until Fates relieved it of that duty. I was somewhat deep in FE's fanbase at the time so I know what I'm talking about, it was outright unpleasant to discuss the game during that time.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Look I just love when a fictional character has an actual reason to look Like That in universe, I did this yesterday with Kainé though her reason is huuuge spoiler territory, even my obscure weeb **** does this
You can tell what tone this is supposed to convey because of one, specific choice, **** like this is why I love visual media

Bro movement speed in combat barely exists in XB2 so this makes sense but doesn't at the same time. First I learn the main story can lock you out due to RNG, now this
Actually, some weapons on some characters make you move slower or faster in battle. (Nia move really slow with a hammer in her hands due to being a big weapon, but move much faster with chakrams, Zeke move decently with alot of weapons due to being a BIG BOY with MOOSCLES, etc...)

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
That stuff about XB2 sounds hardcore though... Is it really all that bad with the sexualisation of that game? I could see where that would bug with fans of the franchise if that never happened before.
The most sexualizing thing I could think of in XC1 is the fact that they gave Sharla jiggle physics.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings

Well as you can see Rex's salvanger outfit is design so that it can become a diving suit attaching the rest of the suit over it.
20200331_090239.jpg

Personally I like the design and liked the application behind it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
The longevity of hatred was totally a thing, the game got dunked on for years until
The longevity of hatred was totally a thing, the game got dunked on for years until Fates relieved it of that duty. I was somewhat deep in FE's fanbase at the time so I know what I'm talking about, it was outright unpleasant to discuss the game during that time.
My point there was how nobody dunks on Awakening anymore, Fates replaced it and has been a punching bag for the franchise since 2015, 2 games later and people still **** on Fates for various reasons, including reasons that would be a better comparison for your argument as Fates brings back regrets and disappointment to FE fans everywhere
Actually, some weapons on some characters make you move slower or faster in battle. (Nia move really slow with a hammer in her hands due to being a big weapon, but move much faster with chakrams, Zeke move decently with alot of weapons due to being a BIG BOY with MOOSCLES, etc...)
Then why can't he autoattack while moving, the piece of ****. Makes **** feel so much slower

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Well as you can see Rex's salvanger outfit is design so that it can become a diving suit attaching the rest of the suit over it.
View attachment 267795
Personally I like the design and liked the application behind it.
Ok but if the design changes when he dives anyway, why do they have to keep the thunderthigh+short shorts combo? The bulk of the rest of the suit balances it out, but his default design that you have to see 99% of the time just looks stupid.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

I guess the idea is that it's transformable, but how in the world to you go from the first look to the second without adding pieces?

The most sexualizing thing I could think of in XC1 is the fact that they gave Sharla jiggle physics.
There are also moments where Fiora touches her chest, and the camera zooms in on it. There's a spoilery reason for it though, and I think the camera shots are there to emphasize this reason.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
There's several armour sets that are pretty ****ing embarrassing and you can have everyone run around in swimsuits.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
There's several armour sets that are pretty ****ing embarrassing and you can have everyone run around in swimsuits.
Oh yeah, the jungle sets and the weird Mechon armor. I just really only remember Sharla off the top of my head because it's ****ing hilarious.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I guess the idea is that it's transformable, but how in the world to you go from the first look to the second without adding pieces?

There are also moments where Fiora touches her chest, and the camera zooms in on it. There's a spoilery reason for it though, and I think the camera shots are there to emphasize this reason.
That's plot relevant, Pyra's ass during someone's death isn't plot relevant, Brigid's boob window isn't plot relevant in any scenes she's shown solely to show off her boob window, etc. The goal of being horny is to disguise the fact that you are horny by using complimentary colours to draw attention to thighs, think of narrative reasons as to why it makes sense actually, etc

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
There already is a superior XC2 redesign out there, it's called the Mythra spirit in Smash Bros. :secretkpop:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
And you know, you can strip all the characters into their underwear or Fiora's speed armour (Admittedly it's optional, but Fiora's speed armour by pure stats is considered better than any other set and is best for the superbosses so it might as well not be). But the Definitive Edition means that won't even matter anymore. Also Vanea has pretty big boobs that are close to Pyra/Mythra's.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Rex's face is terrible. Why would you subject yourself to that for hours?

Then you have **** like this:
frieza 4.png
If this is the worst thing you can point about XB2, then I don't want to know what I missed beforehand.
Then why can't he autoattack while moving, the piece of ****. Makes **** feel so much slower
Idk, but what I know is that, if the first hit of you weapon is fast, just hit the enemy, move a tiiiiiiny bit the joystick, and it will cancel the animation after the first hit, making you able to spam the first hit very quickly and make you deal lot of DAMAGES.

It may not sound like much, but I can guarante as a "-expert-" of this game, it can make dealing with weak enemy veeeeery fast & help you alot in boss battle.

Idk, the cut to black when a salvaging happen could say that Rex need to go somewhere to take the pieces he need to salvage, but I don't know alot about Salvage suit or dive suit to really tell on that part.
I can't remember her name, but
There is one Machina who have her breasts really exposed & jiggling alot of the time, and frankly, with some other stuff like Melia default outfit, it feel to me XB1 is pretty fanservicey in some places. It's just less notiecable due to the art style (& the graphic not being great too) & peoples not paying lots of attention to it when so much happen in XB1

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Oh yeah. I forgot about that because Chugga refused to use the bathing suits (because you can't really take anything seriously with them). I really only remember each character's original armour set.

Oh yeah. One of the viable strategies in Xenoblade Chronicles is to have Dunban strip.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
One of the viable strategies in Xenoblade Chronicles is to have Dunban strip.
Oh yeah, naked Dunban. All of his good skills with Agility are just about not wearing armor, which means that Dunban is out here fighting Mechon in the nude if you want him at his peak.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Oh yeah. I forgot about that because Chugga refused to use the bathing suits (because you can't really take anything seriously with them). I really only remember each character's original armour set.

Oh yeah. One of the viable strategies in Xenoblade Chronicles is to have Dunban strip.
Funny enough the remake fixes that both ways by implementing X's fashion gear system but improved. Also Dunban being shirtless is less aggregious than Pyra's outfit as Dunban fits as a power fantasy too

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Can we talk about games we think have good character design instead?

As far as good design goes, I don't think there are many games than can step up to Street Fighter 2. How much personality those designs exude -- how you can tell everything about a character, and how they're going to play just by looking at them once -- is, I think, the reason Street Fighter 2 was such a hit, and thusly Fighting Games became so popular at all.

There's a reason they're still making new editions of that game, with the same roster every time.

Personal favorite design from that game is Vega (the one with the claw, not the dictator).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I was going to point out that the male designs tend to be much better, like Dromarch, Wulfric, and Percival, but then I remember Roc and the stupid bags around his neck.

Also Gorg.
Hey don’t be hating on my JoJo fish boi :c

what’s the name of that princely Blade who rides around on his throne tho? Now HIS is the most badass design ever nobody can tell me otherwise

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Roc isn't male.
To be fair Roc isn’t female either...

p sure Roc is implied to be non-binary and I am all for this

boy? girl? Nah fam they are Roc, always has been, always will be!

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I've never played the game. That's a screenshot from the review I cited.

I guess if you want to pretend you're in a low-budget shounen anime, it doesn't look that bad.
cooler coffee.jpg

You're really that guy, huh?

It's litteraly one scene in the whole game for a comedic scene and this expression is never seen again.

Also, lots of anime that aren't shonen or low budget use this kind of expression for lighter moment, I don't get your point with that.

I could go on, but you haven't played the game, so I'm not going to bother with that, or this topic for the rest of the day.

I'm out.
see ya.gif

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm glad other people clued in that many of the XC2 designs are less than fantastic for reasons far past boobs, I used to get a lot of heat for saying that back when the game was recent. That said, I don't have anything new to say on that front that I didn't already like two years ago.

So... yeah. I agree.

But on the other hand, it takes more than a design to be impractical for it to be bad. And it takes more than a design to be revealing to be bad. I mean, were that the case, JRPGs and fighters would be in pretty dire straits.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If y’all want a REAL bad design look at Materia from Dissidia NT

Just... why

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom