• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Imagine if Smash fans suggested giving Ridley attacks from Kraid, Mother Brain, Phantoon and Draygon. For the same reasons I would find that ridiculous, I find the idea of an ARMS character using attacks from other ARMS characters just for the sake of padding out their moveset ridiculous, especially when the ARMS fighter is most likely unique enough that they don't need to do that.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I’ve saw people claim that Nintendo would abide by the spirits fanrule which they apply to Nintendo and use the excuse that the entire idea of speculation is to apply limitations to try and narrow down who could be included but after thinking about it more it makes no sense. Limitations could still be applied by not applying rules that you made up to Nintendo when inevitably they won’t use that as an excuse to not add someone as a playable character. You could say that a character being added in a spirit event shows that they didn’t want them playable AT THE TIME but they could want them playable in the future.

Setting boundaries makes sense if it’s something that has actually been verified by Nintendo or Sakurai or if it actually signifies something (aka spirit events etc) but saying that you need to make limitations to try and narrow down who is joining by applying a fanrule and expecting it to stick instead of using some other way is honestly ridiculous.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
I personally think the ARMS character will be someone that's notably popular like Min Min, but
as much as I am glad and happy that it's is getting a character after all, especially cause we get a stage and music to go with them
but I don't just want "whatever character from ARMS", I want Spring Man specifically
i've wanted him since they first revealed the game, and since before Ultimate was announced
so i'm definitely feeling this unexpected second wind

that said, i'm still not sure they would include Spring Man and NOT do something about the AT
and that seems like it'd be unnecessary work to go back to the ATs after the fact for the sake of one character or alt skin
which is why i'm like 80% sure it won't be him

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Imagine if Smash fans suggested giving Ridley attacks from Kraid, Mother Brain, Phantoon and Draygon. For the same reasons I would find that ridiculous, I find the idea of an ARMS character using attacks from other ARMS characters just for the sake of padding out their moveset ridiculous, especially when the ARMS fighter is most likely unique enough that they don't need to do that.
In the defense of a composite ARMS rep, the build of some characters is similair enough to justify making them alts of each other, and the custom arms are shared between characters so it's not like they can't use each others weapons. The only difference between the characters is one or two special abilities. The idea is more adequate than you might think it is.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
"Byleth uses the whole weapon triangle, he's the perfect FE Fighte-"

(that's Leif with an A rank in every weapon type, except Light which is C and dark magic which he can't use_
Listen bud, I would sacrifice Roy to the behelit if I could get the absolute unit that is Leif.

Mandatory horse as well.
reminder that leif was robbed in '99 and '01

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
In the defense of a composite ARMS rep, the build of some characters is similair enough to justify making them alts of each other, and the custom arms are shared between characters so it's not like they can't use each others weapons. The only difference between the characters is one or two special abilities. The idea is more adequate than you might think it is.
Also each ARMS character has only one throw, so if the Spring Man/Ribbon Girl/Min Min/Ninjara theory is true, you can imagine what the character's four throws would be like.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Hey guys, instead of making fighter pass predictions why we don't talk about our "ideal" Fighters Pass? Our ultimate wishlist? I'll begin:
FP1: Min Min (ARMS)
FP2: Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
FP3: Shantae
FP4: Geno (Super Mario RPG)
FP5: Reiji and Xiaomu (Namco X Capcom/Project X Zone)
FP6: *Insert requested character*
FP6: ARMS (Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, Min Min)
FP7: Dixie Kong
FP8: Sora
FP9: Chun-Li
FP10: Phoenix Wright
FP11: Yuri Lowell

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
That really isn't an apt comparison at all, considering almost all ARMS characters are functionally identical nearly, as well as many of them sharing similar/the same body types. Each character's ability is a very small part of the character. Metroid bosses, on the otherhand, are all incredibly different in every way.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
That really isn't an apt comparison at all, considering almost all ARMS characters are functionally identical nearly, as well as many of them sharing similar/the same body types. Each character's ability is a very small part of the character. Metroid bosses, on the otherhand, are all incredibly different in every way.
So a more fair analogy would be having other Sonic characters as alts for Sonic?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
ARMS isn't a fighting game. A fighting game demands you take more than 10 minutes to fully explore the depth of it
Just because it's simple doesn't mean it's not a fighting game. The main gameplay is still facing off against an opponent (or a small number of them if you're into the party side of it or doing a doubles match) until only one of you is left standing.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Also each ARMS character has only one throw, so if the Spring Man/Ribbon Girl/Min Min/Ninjara theory is true, you can imagine what the character's four throws would be like.
Actually, when you take into account those 4 and their throws in particular, they'd actually work very well with each of the corresponding directions

Up Throw - Spring Man's
Forward Throw - Ninjara's
Back throw - Ribbon Girl's
Down Throw - Min Min's

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Just because it's simple doesn't mean it's not a fighting game. The main gameplay is still facing off against an opponent (or a small number of them if you're into the party side of it or doing a doubles match) until only one of you is left standing.
Smash is simple. SFV is simple. BBTag is simple. The difference is that ARMS only has 3 options. Left punch, right punch and grab. Every other fighting game gives you more options with a single button. When the most advanced tech the game has is possibly the most basic oki I've ever seen. Meanwhile oki in actual fighting games is this wild ****
Screenshot_20200330-155754.png

Combine that with how combat is almost exclusively stray hits meaning you'll pretty much never leave neutral, seemingly for the sake of letting everyone be a winner by giving them a 'fair' chance, it's not hard to see why ARMS never gets discussed when people talk about fighting games, doesn't help that it's INCREDIBLY boring for spectators

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman
I hope whoever is the ARMS rep has their throw from the game from the matches I've played I really liked all the grab and throw animations I just think they look nice.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
If they really go the route of alts/Echoes, I think the safest bet is just Spring Man and Ribbon Girl. Maybe Ninjara or Springtron. These four have abilities that are pretty much already in Smash (Spring Man and Springtron's counter can just be his parry and his powering up on low health is basically done by Rage, while Ribbon Girl's multiple jumps can be reduced to Smash's two jumps and Ninjara's teleport can just be a different animation for his dodge). Plus, they have relatively similar starting ARMS, so it wouldn't be as weird for them to have somewhat similar attributes.

Most other characters have either a completely different body type or a passive that may not work as well with the others, imo.

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
Wish that everyone who advocates for new Nintendo IPs in Smash would stop leaving out Rhythm Heaven...........
Ah I feel bad now. Not a huge fan, but I enjoyed those games. Forgot they're owned by Nintendo too.

I think Rhythm Heaven is one of those properties like Arms where there'd be 0 problem implementing a super cool and unique fighter into the game that fits the style of Smash effortlessly. Those, generally, are the types of characters I'd rather see in Smash, even over the more popular picks.

DetectiveSS

Smash Cadet
The thing with the ARMS fighter is that, if it were Sakurai who decided, I’d say it’s up in the air. However, since it’s Nintendo...it only makes sense that it’s Spring Man. If they really want to breathe new life into ARMS, that’s the best move considering he’s the one almost everyone will immediately know as the “ARMS guy” since he’s front and centre on all the promotional material.

It’s not just that, though. In a fighting game, you want every fighter to be seen as equal. A character shouldn’t get special treatment over another that would lead to them being more favoured. If this fighter is anyone else except Spring Man it would completely violate that. If that were the case, it would make one character wildly more popular and used than any other character, which would throw off the balance that fighting games are supposed to have. With Spring Man, that’s not a problem. He’s the main character, so he already has more attention brought to him. That’s why he’s the one with the most content in Smash right now.

Secondly, even if ARMS 2 is on the way, the main character will probably still be Spring Man. Usually fighting game sequels just add more characters to the roster. The characters themselves and designs are easily one of the best parts of ARMS, they’re not gonna get rid of them by replacing anybody, especially Spring Man. That’d be like Ryu getting replaced by someone in Street Fighter 2 or somebody being added to Smash and being fighter number 1, making Mario 2. At most Spring Man will get a redesign, but he’ll still be the main character.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Smash is simple. SFV is simple. BBTag is simple. The difference is that ARMS only has 3 options. Left punch, right punch and grab. Every other fighting game gives you more options with a single button. When the most advanced tech the game has is possibly the most basic oki I've ever seen. Meanwhile oki in actual fighting games is this wild ****

Combine that with how combat is almost exclusively stray hits meaning you'll pretty much never leave neutral, seemingly for the sake of letting everyone be a winner by giving them a 'fair' chance, it's not hard to see why ARMS never gets discussed when people talk about fighting games, doesn't help that it's INCREDIBLY boring for spectators
That doesn't make it not a fighting game though, just not a good one in your opinion. And to be fair, arena fighting games are kind of like fighting game's estranged cousin (since they're super different and usually shovelware) so nobody really talks about them in the first place.

Last edited:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Hey guys, instead of making fighter pass predictions why we don't talk about our "ideal" Fighters Pass? Our ultimate wishlist? I'll begin:
Im a bit cliche with my ideal FP:

FP1: Twintelle (Arms)
FP2: Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
FP3: Crash Bandicoot
FP4: Dante (Devil May Cry)
FP5: Scorpion (Mortal Kombat)
FP6: DoomSlayer (Doom)

In other “realistic” scenario, replace FP5 and 6 with Heihachi (Tekken) and Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden).

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
That doesn't make it not a fighting game though, just not a good one in your opinion. And to be fair, arena fighting game are kind of like fighting game's estranged cousin (since they're super different and usually shovelware) so nobody really talks about them in the first place.
Idk man **** like Jump Force, Naruto Ninja Storm, MHA, One Punch Man and even more at least carry more depth than ARMS. That **** has NO sauce, it isn't even a matter of opinion, nobody, NOBODY on this planet would play a match of ARMS with friends over any fighting games, nobody would go "Yo you see that sick ARMS tournament? The grand finals was hype, did you see that godlike tech?". I genuinely struggle to think of any other games, be it video games, sports or chess, that is even half as dull to watch as ARMS

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It’s not just that, though. In a fighting game, you want every fighter to be seen as equal. A character shouldn’t get special treatment over another that would lead to them being more favoured. If this fighter is anyone else except Spring Man it would completely violate that. If that were the case, it would make one character wildly more popular and used than any other character, which would throw off the balance that fighting games are supposed to have. With Spring Man, that’s not a problem. He’s the main character, so he already has more attention brought to him. That’s why he’s the one with the most content in Smash right now.
That...doesn't make sense. Fighting game characters are never equal in popularity, and popularity doesn't affect game balance. If it did, Twintell and Min Min would be objectively the best characters in the game and that doesn't seem to be the case. It would also probably make Spring Man the best character if you put him in Smash since he'd become the most well known, but that just sounds silly.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
ARMS isn't a fighting game. A fighting game demands you take more than 10 minutes to fully explore the depth of it
Gwen I'm sorry but this is absolutely gatekeeping. It's a multiplayer game focused on one on one combat. It has a timer, free movement, a round system, and even the Attack>Grab>Shield>Attack triangle in a simplified way.

It's absolutely a fighting game, just a simple one. To say otherwise is just pulling a No True Scottsman.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
FP1: Minmin (ARMS)
FP2: Crash Bandicoot
FP3: Amaterasu or Phoenix Wright
FP4: Elma
FP5: Master Chief
FP6: 2B

SNEKeater

Smash Master
There's something that I've been thinking about for a while. ARMS being the first character shown in the second fighters pass makes me think there might be more Nintendo characters in the pass and this might not be just a one-off, the question is how many?

I'd like to ask everyone's thoughts on how many Nintendo characters we might get and who they think the characters could be.
Before the ARMS announcement I saw something like 4 third parties and 2 first parties for the pass. After ARMS, I'm thinking the same, maybe 3 third parties and 3 first parties.

I don't want to start a discussion about what is a fighting game and all that but I definitely don't see an ARMS character as the "FGC rep of the pass", assuming we only can have one FGC character for each pass. But as other have said, we had 3 RPG characters in the first one so I don't think 2 fighting reps in the second one is impossible. Unlikely, yeah, but not impossible to see.
Specially when all the FGC options are third party characters. I don't see Sakurai and Nintendo throwing away the chance of putting a Tekken rep only because "we have Spring Man in the pass". The circumstances for first party and third party characters are different, so in that regard I'm really sure that third party picks have some kind of special treatment.

If instead of ARMS we had Heihachi then yeah I don't think characters like Nightmare or Sol would be later in the pass.

View attachment 267699
Look at my girl Millia.
But yeah, I've been playing ARMS the last few days and while I'm enjoying the game a lot, I couldn't consider an ARMS rep as "our FGC rep of pass 2". Not trying to say that ARMS isn't a fighting game, but as I said before I reeeally doubt that Sakurai would decline putting Heihachi because they already decided to put an ARMS fighter in Smash.

DetectiveSS

Smash Cadet
That...doesn't make sense. Fighting game characters are never equal in popularity, and popularity doesn't affect game balance. If it did, Twintell and Min Min would be objectively the best characters in the game and that doesn't seem to be the case. It would also probably make Spring Man the best character if you put him in Smash since he'd become the most well known, but that just sounds silly.
I think you’re misinterpreting what I mean here. Might be partly my bad, english is not my first language so I struggle with exact wording. I’m not taking strictly about fighting games here, but all games. I’ll try an example instead. I think it’s like what happened with Three Houses and Byleth. Everyone thought Edelgard would be the one to get in, but they chose Byleth. While I can’t say for sure, it’s almost certainly because they didn’t want to pick between House Leaders and show favouritism. Byleth was the most convenient option in that regard. The three house leaders are supposed to be equal, after all.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't want to start a discussion about what is a fighting game and all that but I definitely don't see an ARMS character as the "FGC rep of the pass", assuming we only can have one FGC character for each pass. But as other have said, we had 3 RPG characters in the first one so I don't think 2 fighting reps in the second one is impossible. Unlikely, yeah, but not impossible to see.
Specially when all the FGC options are third party characters. I don't see Sakurai and Nintendo throwing away the chance of putting a Tekken rep only because "we have Spring Man in the pass". The circumstances for first party and third party characters are different, so in that regard I'm really sure that third party picks have some kind of special treatment.
Of course it's not an FGC rep, it's not a part of the fighting game community. Super Smash Bros. isn't apart of the FGC. That doesn't make it or ARMS not fighting games.

All I'm saying is that ARMS will never have anything that comes even remotely close to Evo Moment 37, Woshige's pop off, Iron Man's infinite or even Heartia taking a selfie midmatch.
And I'm not saying it ever will, but that won't change the game's genre. It'd be like saying a platformer isn't a platformer because you can't speedrun it.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
ARMS is technically a fighting game, but I think Nintendo and Sakurai are aware that ARMS hits a completely different demographic than other prospective FG series like Tekken, Soul Calibur, or Guilty Gear -- so I don't think the ARMS character affects the chances for a real fighting game rep any further than there now being fewer slots left.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
All I'm saying is that ARMS will never have anything that comes even remotely close to Evo Moment 37, Woshige's pop off, Iron Man's infinite or even Heartia taking a selfie midmatch.
Neither will Street Fighter I, but that doesn't mean it isn't a fighting game. You're letting your bias cloud your objectivity. It's objectively a fighting game.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I think Arms is a fighting game because you're fighting, it's as simple as that. It's like saying Dive kick isn't a fighting game because there's no combo (actually both game are kind of similar, instead of focusing on combo and tech skill they focus more on positioning and reading your opponent to punish them).

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I think you’re misinterpreting what I mean here. Might be partly my bad, english is not my first language so I struggle with exact wording. I’m not taking strictly about fighting games here, but all games. I’ll try an example instead. I think it’s like what happened with Three Houses and Byleth. Everyone thought Edelgard would be the one to get in, but they chose Byleth. While I can’t say for sure, it’s almost certainly because they didn’t want to pick between House Leaders and show favouritism. Byleth was the most convenient option in that regard. The three house leaders are supposed to be equal, after all.
Edelgard got pushed over the others for a reason and it's because the House Leaders aren't equal at all.
She's a main driving force for the plot in every route, serving as a major antagonist in three routes (being the final boss of one of them) and the main character of her own. Dimitri and Claude don't have remotely as much presence.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think Arms is a fighting game because you're fighting, it's as simple as that.
I wouldn't go that far, personally. Like, Punch-Out!! isn't a fighting game despite being focused on melee combat. :p
I know what you meant but I felt like bringing up Punch-Out!! anyway lol

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Neither will Street Fighter I, but that doesn't mean it isn't a fighting game. You're letting your bias cloud your objectivity. It's objectively a fighting game.
Idk man, I feel this argument doesn't hold weight when nobody outside of Sakurai acknowledges SFI, the game where you could play as Ryu or Ken and nobody else with the godawful 'press or hold the button' mechanic.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I'll be frank, I don't think Pichu is all that great of a choice for a gen 2 rep. Think of it this way: instead of adding a truly unique character, they made a clone of another character; and more than that, intentionally made it bad. I'm glad it's not, say, Unown, but it's still an unsatisfying way to rep the generation in my opinion. And I kinda feel like the reason they went with Pichu was that there was such limited development time for the game, so it was easy to just make Pikachu 2: Painful Electric Boogaloo. I do like that Pichu reps baby Pokemon, though. I just wish gen 2 had gotten an additional rep who was unique and not intentionally bad.

Ah I feel bad now. Not a huge fan, but I enjoyed those games. Forgot they're owned by Nintendo too.

I think Rhythm Heaven is one of those properties like Arms where there'd be 0 problem implementing a super cool and unique fighter into the game that fits the style of Smash effortlessly. Those, generally, are the types of characters I'd rather see in Smash, even over the more popular picks.
I have a question: Don't Rhythm Heaven fans want a rep because the whole rhythm thing would be unique? If so, I see a potential problem with that. It would be difficult to have a rhythmic timing to button presses when all the songs in the game have different rhythmic timing. I could easily see songs throwing off a person's play if they're too different to how you'd have to time your attacks (and I'd like to note that "Environmental Noises" is a track in the game). And of course, it would probably be more of a workload than it's worth to try and make it so the character's button presses time differently with every song in the game (to which players would then have to learn the timings for tons of different songs).

And now that I think about it, perhaps this is why Sakurai ended up scrapping the character in 4. I'd bet, however, that there could be ways to work things out. People who know more about RH than me: what could be done about this issue?

DetectiveSS

Smash Cadet
Edelgard got pushed over the others for a reason and it's because the House Leaders aren't equal at all.
She's a main driving force for the plot in every route, serving as a major antagonist in three routes (being the final boss of one of them) and the main character of her own. Dimitri and Claude don't have remotely as much presence.
That’s true, and I knew that was the reason Edelgard was being pushed. However, that doesn’t change the fact that the main concept of the game is still picking sides between these three different characters. One of them might have a bit more story prevalence than the others, but they’re still treated as equal within the game. It’s not as if the Blue Lions and Golden Deer are merely side routes. Looks like we might have to agree to disagree on this one.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Idk man, I feel this argument doesn't hold weight when nobody outside of Sakurai acknowledges SFI, the game where you could play as Ryu or Ken and nobody else with the godawful 'press or hold the button' mechanic.
Nobody acknowledges it because it's a dumpster fire of a game. It's still a fighting game as much as Mega Man (DOS) is a platformer though.

I have a question: Don't Rhythm Heaven fans want a rep because the whole rhythm thing would be unique? If so, I see a potential problem with that. It would be difficult to have a rhythmic timing to button presses when all the songs in the game have different rhythmic timing. I could easily see songs throwing off a person's play if they're too different to how you'd have to time your attacks (and I'd like to note that "Environmental Noises" is a track in the game). And of course, it would probably be more of a workload than it's worth to try and make it so the character's button presses time differently with every song in the game (to which players would then have to learn the timings for tons of different songs).

And now that I think about it, perhaps this is why Sakurai ended up scrapping the character in 4. I'd bet, however, that there could be ways to work things out. People who know more about RH than me: what could be done about this issue?
The character's inputs should not be based on the music playing; They need to be playable with the sound off. What they can do though, is have you time button presses as a way of calling back to the rhythm of the minigame the attack comes from. An attack from Karate Man, for example, would summon a pot that heads towards the character, and the button must be pressed again at the right time to launch the pot at the opponent. You could also have it act similarly to Header in that it allows you to hit it with different angles, but the timing is what makes the attack's effect go off. Most attacks should also work even if you screw up the timing, just not as effectively.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
ARMS is technically a fighting game, but I think Nintendo and Sakurai are aware that ARMS hits a completely different demographic than other prospective FG series like Tekken, Soul Calibur, or Guilty Gear -- so I don't think the ARMS character affects the chances for a real fighting game rep any further than there now being fewer slots left.
Agreed, If we can have multiple JRPG characters last pass, I don’t see why we can’t get multiple fighting game characters this time around.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
FP1: Twintelle (ARMS)
FP2: Crash (Crash Bandicoot)
FP3: Spyro (Spyro the Dragon)
FP4: Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
FP5: Master Chief (Halo)
FP6: Paper Mario (Paper Mario)

Honorable Mentions: Sephiroth, Krystal and Saki

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom