• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
There's something that I've been thinking about for a while. ARMS being the first character shown in the second fighters pass makes me think there might be more Nintendo characters in the pass and this might not be just a one-off, the question is how many?

I'd like to ask everyone's thoughts on how many Nintendo characters we might get and who they think the characters could be.
I'm expecting two third party characters at most. I think starting with ARMS of all things is very telling, and I could see an all Nintendo Pass happening.

The last character is a big question mark for me for many reasons. First, because the last character is usually considered a disappointment, and sadly for many people that equals first party character. Second, because it was shown off as one extra, and it makes me wonder whether that holds any special meaning (like if it was decided after the others).

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
There's something that I've been thinking about for a while. ARMS being the first character shown in the second fighters pass makes me think there might be more Nintendo characters in the pass and this might not be just a one-off, the question is how many?

I'd like to ask everyone's thoughts on how many Nintendo characters we might get and who they think the characters could be.
I expect one or two more at least. I’d really like to see Waluigi, Skull Kid, Toad, Porky, Ninten and some others. Gengar too if Pokémon counts.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
My new Pridicshlist:
FP6: Spring Man
FP7: Crash Bandicoot
FP8: Waluigi
FP9: Heihachi
FP10: Dixie Kong
FP11: Doom Slayer
Bonus Individual Fighter: Geno

Slime Master

Smash Ace
I wasn't going to mention it since there are other examples of this in smash that people have already brought up, but I guess it's still worth adding to the table: none of the heroes in smash can learn woosh, whack/thwack, magic burst, hatchet man, etc. Hell, kacrackle slash is almost exclusive to killing machines in the main series. Then there's also the fact that psyche up is largely a unique mechanic to DQ8 (DQ9 uses it too, but it's less widely available). It's a little different since the heroes are all blank slate protagonists, but it's still a good example of creative liberties used for the sake of making the character how they like.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I dunno. Looking back at this ARMS character and Byleth, I feel like there's been three or four instances when this thread said, "Obviously 'X' won't happen because of 'Y'," only for it to not be the case.

Whether it's alts, Spirits, or some other third thing, I think we should keep an open mind. Honestly, we have absolutely no idea what's going on behind the scene, and while we might be able to rationalize something so perfectly in our minds, the next character could easily disprove all of it.
Sort of adding onto this, I feel like people are jumping the gun a bit in terms of how they think the ARMS rep represents the entire pass, people saying stuff like "Fighter Pass 2 is going to be smaller scale" or "Fighter Pass 2 is going to be mostly first-parties this time", both of which feel pretty baseless. We don't even really know why Nintendo chose ARMS to be a DLC character.

And yes, I do think there's probably some underlying reason we don't know yet. With someone like Sakurai he just adds characters he thinks are cool and fit in Smash, and leans more towards representing whatever Nintendo has done recently with some exceptions. An Arms Character makes perfect sense coming from him, it was a successful new Nintendo release a few years back. He's not picking though, Nintendo is, and given that the only first-party Nintendo felt like adding in Pass 1 was specifically there just to have a character from a new 2019 game, you can see a bit more where I'm coming from. They aren't going to add an Arms character unless they have something to gain from it. I don't think the character is going to be from a hypothetical ARMS 2 (I will refuse to buy the Pass outright if it is, because goddamn that would be scummy), but maybe they want to try and revitalize the IP before they announce something like that and Smash is the best way to do it. That, or this is some kind of special request Nintendo EPD asked for, who knows.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If I had to guess my current predictions in order.

76: Minmin
77: Crash Bandicoot
78: Travis Touchdown
79: Rex
80: 2B
81: Euden

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
imagine saying this will be the last DLC and then you actually make a "bonus"

classic sakurai jape right there
Personally, I'd rather have Toad than Geno, but Sakurai has just mentioned Geno so many times, and the Geno costume is conspicuously missing, so I feel like it's time.

He's either scored a roster slot or is getting a better Mii Costume a la Cuphead and Sans.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Before the Resident Evil (known as Biohazard in Japan) spirit board, a common prediction was an amalgam of different protagonists from the series. My problem with that is the same problem I have with a composite ARMS rep. Sure, they could probably get away with sharing a moveset, but the real issue is personality. Jill act nothing like Leon, and Min Min acts nothing like Spring Man. I can't see Sakurai sacrificing personality to do something like that. :ulthero:'s alts all have the same personality (none, more or less), and the Clown Car hides most of the weirdness with :ultbowserjr:/:ultludwig:. I don't know enough about Pikmin to make claims on :ultolimar:/:ultalph:, but Pikmin fans say everything about the series' treatment in Smash is weird, so that might be an outlier. People bring up :ultbyleth:, but I'm pretty sure the idle animation change is to avoid clipping, they wouldn't make alternate costumes as unique as echoes.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Before the Resident Evil (known as Biohazard in Japan) spirit board, a common prediction was an amalgam of different protagonists from the series. My problem with that is the same problem I have with a composite ARMS rep. Sure, they could probably get away with sharing a moveset, but the real issue is personality. Jill act nothing like Leon, and Min Min acts nothing like Spring Man. I can't see Sakurai sacrificing personality to do something like that. :ulthero:'s alts all have the same personality (none, more or less), and the Clown Car hides most of the weirdness with :ultbowserjr:/:ultludwig:. I don't know enough about Pikmin to make claims on :ultolimar:/:ultalph:, but Pikmin fans say everything about the series' treatment in Smash is weird, so that might be an outlier. People bring up :ultbyleth:, but I'm pretty sure the idle animation change is to avoid clipping, they wouldn't make alternate costumes as unique as echoes.
"Sakurai wouldn't do that."
Famous last words.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I'm probably mad but two of those characters would be really great additions in my book.

Actually if Joker used his party members' Personae it would be more accurate to canon than his actual moveset. Joker, like most Persona protagonists, is a Wild Card, which means he can use any Persona.

Also, unlike Smash, he doesn't have any Rebellion Gauge. It's not even based on anything in game, from other characters or from other games. It was completely made up so that his moveset can have a gimmick despite being completely unfaithful to how his game plays. If that can be done, along with many other things (all the Heroes get turned into RNG schmucks and use none of the other kinds of weapons they can wield - despite changing equipment mid-fight being a mechanic in DQ games), I don't see the ARMS thing as far-fetched.

I bought ARMS day one and I still think the alts thing could work. Sue me.
Dude it would have been so cool if Jokers specials were based entirely around him using the different abilities of his party members Persona's.

Something that's bugged me for a while about his actual moveset is that his counter shares a very similar name with a move he can do in canon but the ability has nothing in common with it.

Rebels guard: counter

Rebels vanguard: raises his attack.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
Actually if Joker used his party members' Personae it would be more accurate to canon than his actual moveset. Joker, like most Persona protagonists, is a Wild Card, which means he can use any Persona.

Also, unlike Smash, he doesn't have any Rebellion Gauge. It's not even based on anything in game, from other characters or from other games. It was completely made up so that his moveset can have a gimmick despite being completely unfaithful to how his game plays. If that can be done, along with many other things (all the Heroes get turned into RNG schmucks and use none of the other kinds of weapons they can wield - despite changing equipment mid-fight being a mechanic in DQ games), I don't see the ARMS thing as far-fetched.
While I agree Joker's moveset is quite lacking, I think Sakurai tried to focus on the aspect of him being a Phantom Thief; very quick attacks and a lot of mobility. And the usage of Arsene was possibly inspired by the Persona 4 Arena games, where the Persona will do an attack alongside the person summoning it

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I wasn't going to mention it since there are other examples of this in smash that people have already brought up, but I guess it's still worth adding to the table: none of the heroes in smash can learn woosh, whack/thwack, magic burst, hatchet man, etc. Hell, kacrackle slash is almost exclusive to killing machines in the main series. Then there's also the fact that psyche up is largely a unique mechanic to DQ8 (DQ9 uses it too, but it's less widely available). It's a little different since the heroes are all blank slate protagonists, but it's still a good example of creative liberties used for the sake of making the character how they like.
And I agree with that. Giving the magical protagonists spells that they don't normally have access to in order to help them better represent the series is a good use of creative liberties. However, I don't agree that homogenizing characters who's identities are based on their individual mechanics is a good use of creative liberties.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Ok everybody. We've all discuss WHO it will be, but never HOW it will work.

Just how will an ARMS fighter play? How will the main gimmick of extendable arms be used? Will the full extension be their smash attacks? Will we be able to use the control stick to aim the fists while they’re moving in the air? Will they be mapped to the Standard Special? Will they be their jab?

Just how the ARMS rep will work is something that I initially thought was a no-brainer, due to the fighting nature of the characters already, but upon further inspection, there actually are a LOT of different ways to interpret an ARMS fighter’s moveset.
I'd guess that Smash attacks would have them Auto-Switch to Heavy Arms. And some something weird, their down-air would hit twice, Allowing for two spike chances. Up tilt, would aim diagonally upwards, and again could be done twice in a row by inputting again during the first hit.

I do think some improvisation would need to take place, just like with Little Mac, since he only really had like 4 punches originally, but was given a ton of typical boxing style moves to re-work into his moveset.

I think one of the Shield type arms could be a two part move. Where the second input would release a burst before returning. And the boomerang would a side special. The back-air could maybe be that tri-shot arm, which has a ton of range, but has terrible recovery.

Just a few ideas I had.

Louie G.

Smash Hero

I've been tossing this question around in my head for a little while and... I'm not really sure yet.

If you want my kneejerk opinion I actually don't think much will change, although I see this pass potentially being a bit more lowkey in contrast to the previous absolute off the walls crazy characters. Two Nintendo characters in a row is certainly interesting and something to take note of. That being said, I'm pretty sure the next one will be a third party and I'm sure we'll see more of them.

I can see another Nintendo character, I'm not sure who but I can see it. Maybe a Gen 8 Pokemon, maybe a popular spirit promotion like Rex or Bandana Dee. I don't see this being a "Nintendo pass" though, the most I can reasonably see it being is about half but I'm only expecting two. Nintendo knows that third parties are where the real excitement is at right now (even though on a personal level I generally like Nintendo characters more) and I'm sure they would like to throw their friends a few more bones here and there.

I reach a crossroads because there are plenty of characters who I think are reasonable, or deep down I think I just really want to see, but there isn't room for everyone and I've really got to start thinking hard about it. Still I'm fairly certain in like, at least the first three or four characters on this list.

- Min Min
- Travis Touchdown
- Geno
- Ryu Hayabusa
- Arle

and then what... Crash? Namco character? Those costumes are still missing... But I said I thought we'd get another Nintendo character right?

This is where it gets interesting again. We don't know what the hell is happening next and that's probably the best thing that could have happened to speculation.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

I don't know who the characters will be, but something tells me we'll get to F11 making the same predictions we were making before Joker. None of the characters we say will get in will actually get in, and most, if not all of the characters in the pass will be someone who was barely brought up in this thread.

But I'll make a safe prediction and say a 50/50 split is what we'll get. For first-parties, maybe Rex, a Gen 8 Pokemon, and/or a BotW 2 character. There might be a fanservice pick thrown in there somewhere, and that could be either first or third-party. No clue who the third-parties will be, but again, I don't expect this thread to guess them.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I dove further into looking at this, and here are the attacks that the respective heroes cannot learn:

Erdrick
  • Frizzle/Kafrizz
  • Zapple
  • Woosh/Swoosh/Kaswoosh
  • Oomph
  • Bounce
  • Flame Slash
  • Kacrackle Slash
  • Kamikazee
  • Psyche Up
  • Accelerattle
  • Bang
  • Kaboom
  • Hatchet Man
  • Whack
  • Thwack
  • Metal Slash
  • Hocus Pocus
  • Magic Burst
Solo
  • Frizzle/Kafrizz
  • Zapple
  • Woosh/Swoosh/Kaswoosh
  • Oomph
  • Snooze
  • Bounce
  • Flame Slash
  • Kacrackle Slash
  • Kamikazee
  • Sizzle
  • Psyche Up
  • Heal
  • Accelerattle
  • Bang
  • Kaboom
  • Hatchet Man
  • Whack
  • Thwack
  • Metal Slash
  • Magic Burst
Eight
  • Frizz/Frizzle/Kafrizz
  • Zapple
  • Woosh/Swoosh/Kaswoosh
  • Snooze
  • Bounce
  • Kacrackle Slash
  • Kaclang
  • Psyche Up
  • Bang
  • Kaboom
  • Hatchet Man
  • Whack
  • Thwack
  • Hocus Pocus
  • Magic Burst
Luminary
  • Woosh/Swoosh/Kaswoosh
  • Bounce
  • Kacrackle Slash
  • Kamikazee
  • Psyche Up
  • Accelerattle
  • Kaboom
  • Hatchet Man
  • Whack
  • Thwack
  • Hocus Pocus
  • Magic Burst
It's a lot, isn't it?

With the attacks on all four lists, none of the Heroes learn them, they're learned by other party members and NPCs. So Hero is not just a composite character across the protagonists, but across the entire series.

And I agree with that. Giving the magical protagonists spells that they don't normally have access to in order to help them better represent the series is a good use of creative liberties. However, I don't agree that homogenizing characters who's identities are based on their individual mechanics is a good use of creative liberties.
When people are talking about a composite character, I think the insinuation is more that the character would draw from all or most of the characters within rather than eliminate the unique aspects of each. I mean I've seen several people suggest the character would have some version of the Min Min kick, for example.

That's why people are raising comparisons with the Earthbound and Castlevania characters, or the Links, or the Heroes. All those characters are amalgams that join material from multiple characters, not eliminate the defining facets of each. Obviously you can't include every aspect of every character, but whoever is saying the character would be sanded down to have no discernibly unique elements at all is voicing a different rhetoric.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Another example of this is Ness and Lucas using PK Fire, Thunder, Freeze, and Starstorm, moves they can't use in their own games.

The two needed complete movesets, but since they don't learn a lot of offensive PSI attacks in their own game, they took moves from other characters in their series.
Zelda and Rosalina also borrow moves from Link and Mario. Like shooting start-bits. Or in Zelda's case, 3 of her 4 special moves are based Link's spells in OoT. Though Din's Fire is VERY different. In Rosa's case, since she's the mother figure of the Luma's and fights with her kids anyway, it might be less jarring than Ness or Zelda outright committing theft.

Everything sounds stupid until it actually happens.

"Hey what if we got a fast lithe character with high mobility, but by getting hit he activates a mode wherein he gets giant hitboxes and insane damage and knockback"
"Hey what if we got a mediocre swordsman with little to no redeeming qualities... except the fact he is heavily fueled by an insanely luck based RNG move"
"Hey what if we got a mediocre brawling type character with bar none the best burst move in the entire game... but he only gets 5 per life"

If it doesn't work, Sakurai will make it work, God help us all.
Does this mean Dante can get his Real Impact tech from DMC4?

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman

New rule I just made up: FP2 has to be all Nintendo characters BUT has to adhere to the FP1 idea of a completely new franchise as of yet unrepresented by a stage or playable character.

FP6: Min Min (Arms)
FP7: Isaac (Golden Sun)
FP8: Andy (Advance Wars)
FP9: Chibi Robo (Chibi Robo)
FP10: Ring Fit Trainer (Ring Fit)
FP11: Custom Robo? Murasame Castle? Deep cuts like Eternal Darkness or Sin and Punishment? Something new? POKEMON LOL? The possibilities are endless.

Also, bold prediction, but I think at least ONE of the FP2 characters will come with an echo fighter for free.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I expect one or two more at least. I’d really like to see Waluigi, Skull Kid, Toad, Porky, Ninten and some others. Gengar too if Pokémon counts.
Really want Tom Nook too, especially after learning about his backstory just now, and he's a main face anyway. Feels weird he isn't in with Villager and Isabelle...though, I guess he does build their house/town hall with Timmy's and Tommy's help at least...

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
New rule I just made up: FP2 has to be all Nintendo characters BUT has to adhere to the FP1 idea of a completely new franchise as of yet unrepresented by a stage or playable character.

FP11: Custom Robo? Murasame Castle? Something new? POKEMON LOL? The possibilities are endless.

Also, bold prediction, but I think at least ONE of the FP2 characters will come with an echo fighter for free.
No lie, I would absolutely love this. Not even just because of Isaac but because I've always been big on new Nintendo series joining the fray.

Ofc it's never gonna happen, but **** I'd be all over it. :D

Though if you're adding Ring Fit you may as well add Astral Chain too. I know the former is bigger, but the latter was still a success.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
In Rosa's case, since she's the mother figure of the Luma's and fights with her kids anyway, it might be less jarring than Ness or Zelda outright committing theft.
I'm not sure shooting Star Bits counts as one of Mario's abilities. I'd say it's actually one of yours (as in you, the human with the Wii Remote) since it's pointer based. Ironically she did steal Mario's spin ability, but she doesn't use it in Super Smash Bros.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
None of the characters we say will get in will actually get in, and most, if not all of the characters in the pass will be someone who was barely brought up in this thread.
That's my mentality going into these DLC's.

I'm expecting maybe one or 2 of the characters were all talking about to make it in but there's no way were getting most of them.

What's more likely is that well get characters like Joker, Terry and Byleth. Characters who WERE requested but are lower key than what were actually expecting.

Govnah

Smash Rookie

FP11: Custom Robo? Murasame Castle? Deep cuts like Eternal Darkness or Sin and Punishment? Something new? POKEMON LOL? The possibilities are endless.

This pass I'd throw money at my screen at money for. I wanted basically most of these characters.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
It is worth to note there are also more characters such as Rosalina who also happen to use moves they never really use in their main game appearances (in her case the Mario Galaxy duology) and are rather used by Mario in those games (such as the pointer thing which grabs objects and the Air spin).

You can make a character have the moves of other ones as long as the theming fits them really well.
Yup, and a lot of people want Pauline, if she was added in a future game, to use Mario Odyssey moves like Cappy in a similar manner to the way Rosalina uses Mario Galaxy moves because of how associated she is with that game, if they didn't want to incorporate them into Mario's moveset.

D

Deleted member

Yup, and a lot of people want Pauline, if she was added in a future game, to use Mario Odyssey moves like Cappy in a similar manner to the way Rosalina uses Mario Galaxy moves because of how associated she is with that game, if they didn't want to incorporate them into Mario's moveset.
They would not even have to invent a Cappy-character for her in that case, which is even better.

Since she could use her hat from the DK arcade or her mayor uniform to recreate Mario's Cappy tricks with similar effects.

Yes, there are ways to make Pauline work in Smash. Even without bringing up all the stuff the minis could bring.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Yeah, who doesn't want Nintendogs and Leif? :nifty:
"Byleth uses the whole weapon triangle, he's the perfect FE Fighte-"

(that's Leif with an A rank in every weapon type, except Light which is C and dark magic which he can't use_

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Frankly that goes even further, since at least the Pokemon can learn those moves.

But fwiw, obviously it's because of reusing Pikachu's moveset, but I don't actually think Pichu is capable of learning Skull Bash. Sometimes you just gotta take creative liberties.
Pikachu actually could learn Skull Bash as a TM in gen 1, but hasn't been able to learn it in any game since.

What's interesting to me is that not only does Pikachu not use Thunderbolt (a move heavily associated with the rat thanks to the anime), but that Thunder Jolt is a move entirely made up by Smash.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
"Byleth uses the whole weapon triangle, he's the perfect FE Fighte-"

(that's Leif with an A rank in every weapon type, except Light which is C and dark magic which he can't use_
After Spring Man gets promoted, the Fighter's Pass will be as follows:

- Dr. Kawashima
- Riki
- Nintendog
- Prince of Sable

and finally, one of the most popular fan-requested characters who didn't quite make the cut

- Leif
Listen bud, I would sacrifice Roy to the behelit if I could get the absolute unit that is Leif.

Mandatory horse as well.

Last edited:

Goombaic

Smash Ace
My predictions haven't changed much even with ARMS coming.

1. Max Brass
2. Toxtricity
3. Tales of Character (90% chance it's Lloyd, 10% it's Yuri, .01% it's Luke)
Make them alts since having characters for the sake of having characters is the rave now and Sakurai can take as many liberties as he wants.
4. Ryu Hayabusa
5. BotW 2 Character
6. Sylux or whoever Metroid Prime 4 brings along.

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
Wish that everyone who advocates for new Nintendo IPs in Smash would stop leaving out Rhythm Heaven...........
I've been meaning to get a Rhythm Paradise game to figure out how a moveset would work. There was a time I wanted Matt in - I never got the significance of Joe or the Kids outside of random leaks.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I think the big issue with the concept of a amalgamate ARMS character isn't that they CAN use each others' arms, or even their special abilities like Min Min's kick, it's that you're sacrificing personality.

ARMS is a fighting game (duh). Each character is specifically designed to be different from each other in some way, shape, or form (with obvious exceptions like Springtron). The arms weapons they use are only half of the gameplay, the other half being whatever fighter you choose. Obviously each character has the extendable arms gimmick, but only because that's the whole point of the game. Within the game, when you discount that, there's still clear differences between the characters that goes far beyond just "this one has a parry kick" and "this one has four jumps".

The best way I can really describe it is by comparing it to another fighting game series, Street Fighter. Combining several ARMS characters like, say, Spring Man / Ribbon Girl / Min Min, is kind of like if in Smash 4, instead of just Ryu we got a combination shoto that had skins for Ryu, Ken, and Akuma. Sure, on a basic level, they'd all be able to do the basic concept of "martial arts fighter" and use Hadoken / Tatsumaki Senpukyaku / Shoryuken, and you could incorporate things like Ken's kicks or Akuma's air Hadokens into it, but you run into a few issues:

1. Ryu, Ken, and Akuma all have different interpretations of this martial arts style. Ryu leans more on punches and hadokens, Ken leans more on kicks and shoryukens, and Akuma taps into the Satsui no Hado for "evil" takes on existing moves. You can't do Ken without the flaming Shoryuken, but does it make sense for Ryu / Akuma to do it? And what's Akuma without the Raging Demon, but you can't have Ryu or Ken using it, can you? By incorporating all of their unique abilities into one character, you're creating a messy character with no real identity. Inversely, let's just say no unique abilities, and that this amalgamate shoto just uses safe moves that are shared between characters, no bells and whistles. What's the point of adding on Ken or Akuma then if they don't get to use their own iconic moves?
  2. Beyond just moveset, there's also the issue of animations, and so on. How do you animate taunts or victory animations that work on three radically different personalities? Try to come up with shared taunts / victory animations for hobo Ryu, showoff Ken, and villain Akuma that don't feel like stretches.
The same goes for ARMS. Even if it isn't as nearly polarizing as Ryu / Ken / Akuma, these are still individual characters that were made individual for a reason. To sand away anything that makes them different, or just throw it all together into one character, kind of goes against the entire point. The only situations I think really work is if Spring Man is the main fighter, then you could probably do Springton as an alt costume. Even Ribbon Girl has a drastically different gameplay style and personality from Spring Man, to the point where I think it'd be best if she was an echo fighter with unique animations, extra jumps and maybe some different elemental effects. I know there's a few counter-arguments towards the "unique characters can't just be alternate costumes", so I'm gonna address them real quick:
  • HERO: I feel like this is kind of obvious, but blank slate JRPG protagonists are not the same as fighting game characters. The reason Hero works as a 4-in-1 is that the heroes are nothing more than avatars for the player. They wield a sword, a shield, and can cast magic, and that is the purpose of their character. To me, at least, it doesn't matter if one hero specifically can't learn one of the spells they all share, because ultimately they all serve the exact same role within their games. We even know Sakurai skipped over including the hero from Dragon Quest V as an alternate costume because he was too different from the rest (wielding a cane and being a monster summoner).
  • BOWSER JR / KOOPALINGS: Bowser jr's kind of a weird case. The entirety of his character is built around the Koopa Clown Car rather than Bowser Jr. himself, so you're not really changing much by switching out which Koopaling pilots the Clown Car. And while the Koopalings really don't have much depth to them in the mainline games beyond being Bowser's bratty commanders, I feel like their inclusion kind of lends to Junior's moveset feeling generic. Besides Shadow Mario as the Final Smash (which is weird seeing the Koopalings transform into), the boxing gloves, and the Mecha-Koopas (and MAYBE the Side B being in reference to the kart piece from Mario Kart 7 / 8 Deluxe), there isn't really anything in the moveset that pulls from the Clown Car's history or the Bowser Jr / Koopaling fights, instead it's just a swiss army knife with a propeller, with various weird trinkets like forks, a squeaky hammer, drills, and so on that don't come from anywhere. There's a sacrifice of any individuality Bowser Jr. could've had in order to make it solely about the Clown Car, which doesn't excite me as much.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I'm starting to think about what Mii Costumes we're going to see.

Considering the last two times we got a Fighting game character in Smash, we're probably looking at a bunch of Fighting game Mii's. So like, my top 5 is safe, but a bunch of potentially cool characters could be put down. Then again, the previous DLC character had no Mii Costumes that had anything to do with the kind of game they're from, so this isn't airtight and we could have an unexpected casualty or more come June.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I'm starting to think about what Mii Costumes we're going to see.

Considering the last two times we got a Fighting game character in Smash, we're probably looking at a bunch of Fighting game Mii's. So like, my top 5 is safe, but a bunch of potentially cool characters could be put down. Then again, the previous DLC character had no Mii Costumes that had anything to do with the kind of game they're from, so this isn't airtight and we could have an unexpected casualty or more come June.
Now that you mention it, I'm gonna post a ARMS Character Mii costume prediction

Rayman, Sol Badguy, Ragna the Bloodedge, Nightmare (Soul Caliber), Heihachi, Reimu

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
My new Pridicshlist:
FP6: Spring Man
FP7: Crash Bandicoot
FP8: Waluigi
FP9: Heihachi
FP10: Dixie Kong
FP11: Doom Slayer
Bonus Individual Fighter: Geno
I am ready for whoever the ARMS character is to be revealed. It will settle a great debate in the Smash Community; “Can ATs/Spirits become fighters in them game.” If it’s Spring Man (which I personally doubt only because I believe ATs won’t get the upgrade treatment in the same game they are included in.) it will prove a lot of people wrong in their conjecture towards that argument.

However, what intrigues me more is that you think we’ll get even another additional fighter in the form of Geno. May I ask why? Genuinely curious because it’s something that has crossed my mind as well.

Lastly, I like we both have Heihachi on our predictions list, but wasn’t Doom Slayer confirmed to not be coming to Smash? I remember a lot of people saying the developers of DOOM putting a nail in that coffin.

Lastly, lastly, is this a legitimate predictions list or more of a wants list?

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
Hey guys, instead of making fighter pass predictions why we don't talk about our "ideal" Fighters Pass? Our ultimate wishlist? I'll begin:
FP1: Min Min (ARMS)
FP2: Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
FP3: Shantae
FP4: Geno (Super Mario RPG)
FP5: Reiji and Xiaomu (Namco X Capcom/Project X Zone)
FP6: *Insert requested character*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom