• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Spam
words
"nOOOOOOOOO NOT THE HECKIN PALUTINOS AND PITTOS
YOUUUU CANT REMOVE THEM nOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

* Whirlo uses all his power to remove them from existence *

"I HAVE TO TELL MY REDDIT BROS™ ABOUT THIS"

"BUT FIRST"

* opens reddit *

* sees drunk Isabelle befriending doom man while epically bro fisting *

* clicks upvote *

"Oh. My. God. That was... E P I C ! ! ! !"

* Starts feeling lustful energy for Nintendo females *

"Hmmmm I have already looked at erotica of the yellow canine" * rubs isabelle amiibo gently with hand *

* Remembers Palutena moving her tremendous, wider than wide, bigger than big, buttocks from Super Smash Bros Palutena Trailer E3 2014 - Super Smash Bros. for Wii U™ *

"OH YES I KNOW"

"Suddenly Remembers Whirlio fellow has deleted Palutena from existance *

"OHNONONONONO HOW COULD YOU HAVE DONE THIS SMALL GREEN GRIMACE HOW COULD YOU NOOOOOOOOOOOO"

wot.jpg

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
based on the wiki, he said something to Dr. Coyle that she didn't like. what it is is unknown...
From the end picture you can unlock when you the game with her it seems she was attracted to Brass or something like that just my theory anyone's and he probably turned her down because he's in love with being the champion either that or he insulted her arms makeing skills so she spends all her time trying to beat the big lug head

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
A Nintendo only pass? That one's harder to say, mind you. Namely, cause I always like to apply a few rules(like separate franchises), but here goes;

FP6: Spring Man(with or without alts that have Ribbon Girl, Springtron, and Dr. Coyle)
FP7: Impa(Oracle games. She's my favorite iteration. Toon Ganondorf was my secondary choice)
FP8: Isaac(based upon Golden Sun 1, but has alts using Matthew, Felix, and Isaac's adult form as inspiration)
FP9: Waluigi(It's not that I don't like Geno. I do. I just want Waluigi more. Besides that, Toad(regular, not Captain) is the other missing All-Star and changing out Toad's model to Toadsworth is a lot more work than disabling an AT. Admittedly Geno's about the same amount of work overall)
FP10: Grovyle(I honestly have wanted a Gen 3 character proper for a while now. Coincidentally Grass has less bits. It's a spin-off, but more inhouse than Hyrule Warriors, so it feels more realistic than that game. That said, Plusle & Minun wouldn't be a bad thing either)
FP11: Black Shadow(echo of Ganondorf, but based upon his Brawl/4 Moveset, but still using Gerudo Dragon with a rename, to make him feel like the last missing moveset among the 3 designs. The current Ganondorf is fairly different from the Brawl/4 version. Alternatively, if Echoes actually aren't happening, though I forget if that was actually declared for this pass like the first one, Samurai Goroh).

Admittedly the last two were a bit harder to think on.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I like the idea that in Castlevania canon, none of the Belmonts can even step up on Simon, and that's why he's the only one who can do all the crazy **** with a whip. The man killed Dracula twice -- and iirc the first time he did it he was a teenager and it was basically just to prove that he could.
I don't know super well all the Castlevania lore but as far as I remember I thought Julius Belmont was probably the strongest Belmont in the franchise (which is ironic because he doesn't have a protagonist role in any of the games where he appears).

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I don't know super well all the Castlevania lore but as far as I remember I thought Julius Belmont was probably the strongest Belmont in the franchise (which is ironic because he doesn't a protagonist role in any of the games where he appears).
He is the last and current Belmont as far as classic canon is concerned

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
maybe the hate isn't against swords
maybe it's against... fire emblem characters being both plentiful and unvaried in aesthetic...
Zelda has a lot of characters too but they also have a dedicated magic user, a ninja and a br-war-lord. Pokemon runs the gamut of elements and styles. I think there are many sword users you could add who would be considered varied enough to stand out in aesthetic and mechanics.

The Hero isn't a Fire Emblem character

axel_

Smash Journeyman
Was Terry creator bias or was it just because he was the face of SNK? The latter seems more likely and like many others have pointed out crash bash probably doesn’t mean anything
Terry was definitely chosen because he was the face of SNK, but at the same time they could've easily gone with SNK's other poster boy Kyo.

Where I'm saying the favoritism comes in on Terry's end is with just how much SNK representation we got.

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
Hey guys! I'm unbanned. As some of you have seen by me liking every other post, I've been keeping up with the thread and have been shocked we got ARMs!

I have my own personal opinions on what I think will happen. Unfortunately, this post:

This post right here perfectly detailed my exact thoughts before I could!

Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and Min Min are perfectly suitable to be clones of one another. They have similar proportions, different genders can have different models (which solves the issue of all four of them having the same animations), and they all play relatively simple. Sakurai is most likely wanting to represent ARMs gameplay above all else, so a single defining moveset for these four would encapsulate the experience. From a general standpoint, these guys are all the faces of ARMs and are more recognizable than someone like Max Brass or Dr. Coyle--who both were added after ARMs released. Before someone says Twintelle, I say Twintelle is more the ass of ARMs and not the face. I don't think she's being chosen.

Before someone says "Ninjara plays differently from Min Min who also plays differently from Ribbon Girl and shouldn't be boiled down to alternate costumes," I'm gonna say Dark Samus is a literal clone of Samus based purely off of body proportions. Fanservice bends all rules. I don't think general consumers would care if they get to play their favorite character out of the four, especially Min Min who dominates popularity discussions.

Color me surprised if we don't get any of the four characters discussed and get, like, Kid Cobra or something. That'd be the day, but I'm going off of my instincts and I think they're the four most likely.
Thank you! This is exactly what I was thinking and you explained it perfectly! I really hope this ends up being the case for the new fighter, it would be pure fanservice and I think it would represent ARMS in the best way possible!

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Terry was definitely chosen because he was the face of SNK, but at the same time they could've easily gone with SNK's other poster boy Kyo.

Where I'm saying the favoritism comes in on Terry's end is with just how much SNK representation we got.
Thanks for clarifying. Terry did get quite a bit of content although I’d personally put that to SNK. Sakurai did say he chose about 50 songs and expected SNK to cherrypick a few but in the end they let him have all 50. It would have been pretty silly if there was a chance that Sakurai would have said no but said yes in the end just out of developer bias as he was being given 50 songs on a silver platter which meant more content.

Aside from the music terry had the standard amount of spirits and mii outfits that you’d expect and he came
with a stage like everyone else so music really is the only standout.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
The Hero isn't a Fire Emblem character
I think what he means is that alot of FE Lords designs are just
"What is this guy suppose to be" to the western eye.

If you were japanese maybe you can recognize them as "shoujo swordman/woman" in a sense like Oscar from Rose of Versailles

But to the western eye none of them can be recognized as Knights, Pirates, Ninja's, Samurais, something westerners would be familar with
You can look at Captain Falcon think of western super hero like "Captain America"
Or Megaman will give you a "astroboy"
Wario will give you a "evil mario" or "my uncle"
Kirby would be "pink marshmellow"
Simon would be "Conan the Barbarian" or "He-Man"

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
The hatred of sword users is because of Fire Emblem and how similar its 8 characters are. Most Smash fans think that FE is unworthy of that many characters.
I really can't say that Robin, Corrin, and Byleth are similar to Marth, Roy, Ike, Lucina, and Chrom, who all use solely swords with no special abilities with Marth, Roy, Lucina, and Chrom sharing the same basic moveset. Fire Emblem hate would likely die down were Roy, Lucina, and Chrom cut or made into Marth costumes.
I've always said that I'd love ALL characters with a moveset spun off of another character to be placed on the same slot and have it go like this.
Pick Character -> Pick Style
For example, Lucina able to fight with Chrom's style or regular Mario with Dr. Mario's style.
Of course characters with massively different proportions like Link, Young Link, and Toon Link, or those from different series like Ganondorf & Capt. Falcon, would be exempt from this.
It would solve the problem of 'too many characters' while still letting those characters and their styles be playable in the game.
In regards to artstyle though..well..that's just going to be a thing..having a pseudo-realistic anime style rather than a cartoony anime style like Mario & Toon Link, kind of makes it hard to have a diverse 'look' since they have a fairly consistant artstyle (even if the artists change every so often).
Yeah the only worthy FE characters are Marth, Lyn, Robin and that’s it really lol. Zelda deserves those FE numbers lol.
I mean, I absolutely love Zelda..but since it always has the same primary characters each new game, it has all the reps it 'needs' to fully represent its newest game(s) and if we start to include one-off characters we'll eventually reach the same problem the Fire Emblem series has.
For example, lets say we've added a one off for each big main series game released, we'd likely end up with having just as many reps as Fire Emblem.
I will say though that the two recurring characters we've yet to see included should be added, being (Young) Impa, not Hyrule Warriors' Impa due to not being 'canon' but perhaps with some inspiration from her for her moveset along with possibly using Yiga techniques from Breath of the Wild considering that they were originally Shiekah, and as shown by the Sage at the end of the DLC in BotW, Shiekah DO fight with similar techniques, and Tingle, since he is thus far the only Zelda character to get his own spin-off titles along with appearing in different games unlike most of Zelda's non-Link/Zelda/Ganon characters.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
They do not
As far as we know Nintendo does still own the IP. Or at least, when asked if the IP had changed hands, Platinum refused to comment, while thanking Nintendo for making the Kickstarter possible.

Until we learn otherwise, it should be assumed that Nintendo still holds the IP. The copyright notices for the remake, whenever it comes out, should be insightful.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
There's so much hot **** in this thread right now I wouldn't be surprised if the next page is only saying "just joking"

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
My dumb western mind cannot comprehend cartoon European noblemen
There was that video where they were showing smash characters to random people on the street and none could recognize what any of the fire emblem characters were meant to be lol

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I want Spring Man... like, WAY more than any of the others. His design is, I dunno, I just really love it. I'll take any of them but I hope it's Spring Man with a lot of other characters as alternates a la Bowser Jr.

Last edited:

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
I want Spring Man... like, WAY more than any of the others. His design is, I dunno, I just really love it. I'll take any of them but I hope it's Spring Man with a lot of other characters as alternates a la Bowser Jr.
I'd say if Springman is in he at least has other characters as alts -- otherwise there's really no reason for Nintendo to be vague about who the ARMS character is. Also I don't wanna get stuck playing as toothpaste-hair

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Valkyries is a goddess who come down to Marvel Land to fight against any evil that threatens it

Sandra/Whirlo(in EU) is green humanoid thing that is trying to find cure for his son, he travels all over Marvel Land with a pitchfork for the cure.. He ends up teaming up with Valkyrie in the third game.

Enjoy this cute fanart

https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/50498382
Never been a fan of Valkyrie, she always just seemed like a dits with too much power. She just acted goofy for no good reason didn't really have any motivation and, hell, character growth is almost nonexistent. Yeah, was just never a fan.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
As far as we know Nintendo does still own the IP. Or at least, when asked if the IP had changed hands, Platinum refused to comment, while thanking Nintendo for making the Kickstarter possible.

Until we learn otherwise, it should be assumed that Nintendo still holds the IP. The copyright notices for the remake, whenever it comes out, should be insightful.
Either way, I think Nintendo has lost interest in Wonderful 101. If we're talking about how likely it is for them to reserve one of the last five spots for Wonderful 101, I think it's about as likely as Codename STEAM or Ever Oasis.

Spring Man really is the best character to rep ARMS, but Nintendo sort of dug their own grave by not announcing the character. Now people are gonna throw a fit if the character isn't Min Min or Spring Man with alts other than just Ribbon Girl.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Never been a fan of Valkyrie, she always just seemed like a dits with too much power. She just acted goofy for no good reason didn't really have any motivation and, hell, character growth is almost nonexistent. Yeah, was just never a fan.
A ditz with power is more personality than all the playable avatar characters in smash that dont have a hint of personality lmao

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I really can't say that Robin, Corrin, and Byleth are similar to Marth, Roy, Ike, Lucina, and Chrom, who all use solely swords with no special abilities with Marth, Roy, Lucina, and Chrom sharing the same basic moveset. Fire Emblem hate would likely die down were Roy, Lucina, and Chrom cut or made into Marth costumes.
I've always said that I'd love ALL characters with a moveset spun off of another character to be placed on the same slot and have it go like this.
Pick Character -> Pick Style
For example, Lucina able to fight with Chrom's style or regular Mario with Dr. Mario's style.
Of course characters with massively different proportions like Link, Young Link, and Toon Link, or those from different series like Ganondorf & Capt. Falcon, would be exempt from this.
It would solve the problem of 'too many characters' while still letting those characters and their styles be playable in the game.
In regards to artstyle though..well..that's just going to be a thing..having a pseudo-realistic anime style rather than a cartoony anime style like Mario & Toon Link, kind of makes it hard to have a diverse 'look' since they have a fairly consistant artstyle (even if the artists change every so often).

I mean, I absolutely love Zelda..but since it always has the same primary characters each new game, it has all the reps it 'needs' to fully represent its newest game(s) and if we start to include one-off characters we'll eventually reach the same problem the Fire Emblem series has.
For example, lets say we've added a one off for each big main series game released, we'd likely end up with having just as many reps as Fire Emblem.
I will say though that the two recurring characters we've yet to see included should be added, being (Young) Impa, not Hyrule Warriors' Impa due to not being 'canon' but perhaps with some inspiration from her for her moveset along with possibly using Yiga techniques from Breath of the Wild considering that they were originally Shiekah, and as shown by the Sage at the end of the DLC in BotW, Shiekah DO fight with similar techniques, and Tingle, since he is thus far the only Zelda character to get his own spin-off titles along with appearing in different games unlike most of Zelda's non-Link/Zelda/Ganon characters.
Zelda is an A list series, it deserves the same level of rep page as Mario or Pokémon so it will never be a problem of having too many. The problem is FE a C tier franchise has as manny reps as the big guns and the characters in smash from their franchise aren’t visually distinct, are often not even the most popular in their franchise, often wield a generic sword/play similar and several are true one offs.

Let’s see if we look into potential worthy Zelda reps they are swimming abound.

There’s blue pig Ganon who’s been there from the first Zelda being the final enemy or referenced several times who’d have sick trident moveset with magic attacks.

There’s skull kid who was in 3 games (that I know of), was the final villain of 1 of those, is popular, and would have a unique mask based moveset.

Then there’s Demise w Ghirahim, even though demise is currently only in one game he is very important to the entire lore of the franchise because he is the ultimate big bad who started everything, ghirahim is also pretty popular and with a dual moveset that allowed demise to change ghirahim from sword form to human form on command ala stand style would be very unique.

Then you have Impa who is a constant character throughout the series as zeldas guardian, she even gained a bigger significance in skyward sword, she could pull inspiration from her hyrule warrior form as well to give her more variety in her moveset or stick to a more ninja with a sword style.

Then you have Midna with Wolf Link while currently a one off contains the most popular helper character in all of Zelda, their moveset would be very unique with the grapples/hand and quadroped character type we have few of.

And still you have the 4 champions who I would have being cast out through attacks by BotW Zelda that would represent the new era of open world Zelda that to many is the best Zelda game with a unique moveset calling upon different moves from the spirits of the 4 champions and BotW is getting a sequel.

(There’s even potentially Vaati, don’t know jack about him but if he’s recurring I might even think him a good pick)

Like the amount of great choices are ridiculous and they are all worthy. Instead we have 3 links not too different from each other and Zelda/shiek split and the dorf man who still has too much Captain Falcon in him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom