• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone think along with the ARMS rep we'll also have FP7 revealed?
After 5 months since the reveal of Byleth, I'd be surprised if there's not another double reveal in June.
Arms being the first FP2 character/franchise tells me that FP2 is probably going to focus more on first party since this pass is getting a smaller budget/team than the first pass.
Probably but I'm waiting til we get halfway into FP2 to make that call. It could be like the last pass where there's only one 1st party with the rest 3rd party, except only in reverse order.

Last edited:

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
As I said earlier, I’m seeing this as a “reintroduction” for the series. They announce ARMS I coming to Smash, then immediately after say, “Check out the game yourself!”.

If that isn’t an attempt to get people playing the game, I don’t know what is. Smash sells, my dudes. ARMS is a 3 year old game, yes. But it’s a game that didn’t do as well as others, and Smash brings a prime opportunity to advertise a game and turn it into a success. There’s something to be said when somebody can look at a game and say, “Oh, that character is in Smash!”. It would help ARMS for sure.

Makes sense to me anyway.
Yeah, I think Nintendo has realized smash is such a juggernaut at this point,that they're not using other games to promote smash -- smash can now carry the popularity of other games.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
For some reason I think it'll be an equal number of first and third parties, and the third parties won't be Joker/Hero/Banjo/Terry levels of big. Probably with a slightly smaller following like Neku, Arle, KOS-MOS.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I wonder if Nintendo is doing the "Guess who" game with ARMS to convince Smash fans to research ARMS's roster and grow more interested in the game.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
I wonder if Nintendo is doing the "Guess who" game with ARMS to convince Smash fans to research ARMS's roster and grow more interested in the game.
Nah, I think if anything originally it was suppose to be a trailer reveal. But the epidemic caused that too fall apart at the last minute and decide just to mention which game the character is from and leave it at until June when the proper reveal will happen.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
and the third parties won't be Joker/Hero/Banjo/Terry levels of big. Probably with a slightly smaller following like Neku, Arle, KOS-MOS.
Maybe they will go to a smaller third party company like THQ Nordic for a character. Maybe for Destroy All Humans?

Nah I'm just kidding. But a young lad can dream.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
What is this feeling?

Is it... Vindication?

ARMS IS IN SMASH MY DUDES

I'm stoked, this is great, love this game and I'm glad that in the end it didn't get snubbed. One thing I regret is that it didn't get a cool reveal, that was super lame, but I guess COVID-19 might have had something to do with it.

As for who it is? Honestly I can't see Spring Man not being it, but the whole mystery angle leads me to believe we'll get several characters as alts/Echoes. At the very least I'm seeing Ribbon Girl as one, but I'll hitch my wagon on the "Min Min and Ninjara" train as well.

What would your reaction be if Dixie ends up being the next DLC character?
I don't think I'd be able to take it.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Alrighty everyone the time has come! Put your tinfoil hats on who do you think the other fighters for the pass will be?

FP6: ARMS character/s (Confirmed; I’m saying Ribbon Girl or Min Min.)
FP7: Rex & Pyra
FP8: Heihachi Mishima
FP9: Pokémon from Sword & Shield
FP10: Paper Mario
FP11: Sora
FP7: Shantae
FP8: Amaterasu
FP9: Pokemon (Garchomp)
FP10:Elma

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Wouldn't surprise me if it was, its a good marketing tactic to get more people interested in the game, trying it out and then seeing which characters they like for themselves, especially since they are also releasing the game for Nintendo Switch online users and all.

Not to mention the identity of the potential character driving people to speculate and wanting to know more about it too.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
For some reason I think it'll be an equal number of first and third parties, and the third parties won't be Joker/Hero/Banjo/Terry levels of big. Probably with a slightly smaller following like Neku, Arle, KOS-MOS.
Sounds like somebody trying to convince themselves that their unlikely personal picks are actually likely...

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I originally posted my thoughts in the social thread, but then I figured it'd be more fitting here. Copy/paste time.

If I'm being pragmatic, I'd have to say Ribbon Girl would be the most likely pick. She basically fills the mascot role, and I see a spirit or mii costume being promoted as far more likely then an assist trophy getting in.

But since they teased us the way they did instead of just announcing who it is out right, I'm going to be optimistic and jump on the "multiple alts" train. They might have to take a few creative liberties to make it work, but Smash has never been opposed to that in the past.

As for what they'd do with the Springman assist? Well, I see three possibilities. For one, they could just make the assist trophy appear shaded when Springman is in battle. Alternatively, they could program it so that trophy won't appear at all when he's in. Or they might just treat it like Chrom in Robin's Final Smash and do nothing.

I can't see them cutting the trophy altogether like some people have suggested. They aren't going to just cut base game content out all together, especially when not everyone is going to buy the DLC.

zferolie

Smash Hero
shame we couldn't reach 100, but 90 is good enough

Crazy idea: one of the packs that isn't FP8 cause that's reserved for Octoling because 8 will be a Xenoblade dedicated pack with Elma, Mecha-Fiora as her echo, an X stage, a general Xenoblade Spirit Board including more 1, X, 2 and Torna spirits, and a HUGE music collection of X, 2, DE and Torna tunes

I NEED THIS.
Lets see, there are a total of 75 fighters on the smash page, though it lables Squirtle, Ivysaur, and charizard as their own, and labels echos with the E. for this, gonna count those pokemon as 1 as they take up 1 slot in WoL, and count each echo as their own. so that goes from 75, to 73, then to 79 characters. Yes with these 6 thats 85 characters. so that means we should need 5 echos to hit 90? or did I miscount?

I would have loved to have 100, just to have the biggest fighting game roster(well some are bigger but still 100 is a magical number)

I have made a meme for this occasion in two flavours.

Pick your favourite.

I'll take the bottom but both would be nice

After 5 months since the reveal of Byleth, I'd be surprised if there's not another double reveal in June.

Probably but I'm waiting til we get halfway into FP2 to make that call. It could be like the last pass where there's only one 1st party with the rest 3rd party, except only in reverse order.
Remember we had 6 months from Joker till Hero and Banjo, so i can see the June direct having a double reveal too

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Nah since Joker was a good indication of what FP1 (mostly characters from third party that Nintendo has a solid relationship) I think starting off with Arms is a good indication that it will be mostly first party characters with one or two third parties sort as an inverse of FP1.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
As for what they'd do with the Springman assist? Well, I see three possibilities. For one, they could just make the assist trophy appear shaded when Springman is in battle. Alternatively, they could program it so that trophy won't appear at all when he's in. Or they might just treat it like Chrom in Robin's Final Smash and do nothing.
I've also seen someone bring up the possibility of Springtron replacing him if Spring Man is in battle.

Well technically if the top is true then so is the bottom since Spring Man is also a spirit.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
What is this feeling?

Is it... Vindication?

ARMS IS IN SMASH MY DUDES

I'm stoked, this is great, love this game and I'm glad that in the end it didn't get snubbed. One thing I regret is that it didn't get a cool reveal, that was super lame, but I guess COVID-19 might have had something to do with it.

As for who it is? Honestly I can't see Spring Man not being it, but the whole mystery angle leads me to believe we'll get several characters as alts/Echoes. At the very least I'm seeing Ribbon Girl as one, but I'll hitch my wagon on the "Min Min and Ninjara" train as well.

I don't think I'd be able to take it.
We can still get an epic trailer for them. The surprise now isn't what game is being repped, but who. I can see their reveal trailer having them in a big tournement to see who will get in, or a contest with Smash characters as Judges(with Little mac being one of them of course)

Eldrake

Smash Lord
If the third party budget for Pass 2 is low like some people think, I still think Capcom fans will be fine. Capcom is infamously crossover happy, and it can't be super expensive to license a Capcom character if a Family Guy flash game can get Ryu.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Lets see, there are a total of 75 fighters on the smash page, though it lables Squirtle, Ivysaur, and charizard as their own, and labels echos with the E. for this, gonna count those pokemon as 1 as they take up 1 slot in WoL, and count each echo as their own. so that goes from 75, to 73, then to 79 characters. Yes with these 6 thats 85 characters. so that means we should need 5 echos to hit 90? or did I miscount?

I would have loved to have 100, just to have the biggest fighting game roster(well some are bigger but still 100 is a magical number)

Remember we had 6 months from Joker till Hero and Banjo, so i can see the June direct having a double reveal too
4 echoes cause after PP and all of FPV1 we got 10 slots remaining. my proposed plan is to fill all the slots with this supposed final wave of DLC, and you only see 6 slots, which that leaves 4 additional spots. so... bundled echoes may be the best choice

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
I originally posted my thoughts in the social thread, but then I figured it'd be more fitting here. Copy/paste time.

If I'm being pragmatic, I'd have to say Ribbon Girl would be the most likely pick. She basically fills the mascot role, and I see a spirit or mii costume being promoted as far more likely then an assist trophy getting in.

But since they teased us the way they did instead of just announcing who it is out right, I'm going to be optimistic and jump on the "multiple alts" train. They might have to take a few creative liberties to make it work, but Smash has never been opposed to that in the past.

I can't see them cutting the trophy altogether like some people have suggested. They aren't going to just cut base game content out all together, especially when not everyone is going to buy the DLC.
One possibility is to swap Springman with Springton in the Assist Trophy (or Alfonzo lol)

blackghost

Smash Champion
It only lasts a few seconds, and I believe immediately uninvizes you if you attack. Since it only happens if you block for a few seconds, tech, or neutral get up, I could see it being fairly balanced in a way that allows you to do a bit of mind games without being broken or unwieldy.
combine that with her flight and air dash and you have a run away nightmare. plus an irritating character in casual play. only game i've seen do invisibility is mk and its not a franchise known for balancing well.

i refuse to fall into the mindset "see this fighter pass is gonna have lower budget 3rd party if any at all." smash dlc has never been about doing it halfway on third parties. and like someone already said cpcom isnt expensive to work with on character rights.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
If the third party budget for Pass 2 is low like some people think, I still think Capcom fans will be fine. Capcom is infamously crossover happy, and it can't be super expensive to license a Capcom character if a Family Guy flash game can get Ryu.
This is how Chun-Li can still get in. :p

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
combine that with her flight and air dash and you have a run away nightmare. plus an irritating character in casual play. only game i've seen do invisibility is mk and its not a franchise known for balancing well.
I bet you her flight would either be her Up Special or a Peach float style ability so Dr. Coyle players would probably be gimping themselves for using it willy-nilly. Even so, this is a character with access to a long ranged, disjointed barrage of attacks that can freeze, paralyze, or fire projectiles at you, with the latter option being hard to challenge. She'd be a nightmare in casual play regardless.

EDIT: She'd basically be Simon & Richter, but instead of projectiles, it's disjointed attacks.
EDIT EDIT: X-23 can also turn invisible in Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3. I wouldn't say that game's balanced either but she's not even close to being the most broken character in the game.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Even though I'd love a pass that focuses on first-parties, it's way too soon for anyone to say there's a theme to this pass. One character isn't enough to establish a pattern, and even then, I wouldn't start assuming anything until at least F8 is revealed and its first-party (that would be half of the pass).

Last edited:

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
We now have confirmation: Challenger Pack 6 is going to be from Arms.

With this in mind, let me explain why I would like to see Dr. Coyle joining the battle.

(wall of text incoming)

1.Dr. Coyle - Kopie.png

But first, let me get one thing out of the way:

I saw a lot of people, even during pre-base-speculation, who said, that all Arms-characters could be echos or alternative costumes for one another.
To that I say: no, this wouldn’t work (at least not like some people are thinking it could). You see, first a lot of the Arms-characters have different
body-types. Having someone huge like Master Mummy or Mechanica as an alt for say Spring Man wouldn’t work
(remember even Isabelle didn’t work as an echo for Villager).

And second: All Arms-Characters have unique ability’s, only they can use. Ribbon Girl got multiple jumps, Master Mummy can regenerate health,
Helix can move his body ala Mr. Fantastic, Byte got Barq as an “assist” and Lola Pop can inflate her body like a balloon. Giving these ability’s to other characters or stripping said characters down from their ability’s wouldn’t work and, in my opinion, ruin the characters in themselves
(imagine Spring Man using the robot dog Barq in place of Byte. That’s like giving Peach or Daisy a Luma).

For example: Lola Pop is now playable as an alt for Spring Man, but she can’t use the ability’s that made her unique in her own game.
So, what’s the point of having her here? It’s like having Sagat from Street Fighter as a costume for Ryu. Sure, some moves have similar functions,
but that doesn’t mean, it could work as a costume or echos.

The only characters I could see work are Spring Man and Ribbon Girl as (at worst) alts of each other. Ribbon Girl has multiple jumps but that’s
a base-mechanic in smash, unless you want to give her multiple jumps like Kirby.

With that said, let’s get to the main course: Dr. Coyle.

I think Dr. Coyle could be very unique, if you consider what she can do in her home series. She can turn herself invisible through guarding, fly/ hover and has a third arm to her disposal. One special could be the Lokjaw-Arms which could be used as an extended punch followed up with firing an energy-ball (meaning good for close-range and distance-combat). This could possibly be combined with her third arm which would do additional damage.
The Parabola-Arm (which looks like an umbrella) could be used at first like say Pits old shield back in Brawl, but if you press the button again it will
move forward dealing electric-damage to the opponent and possibly stunning them. Her recovery could be her levitation-ability. She flies in the air
(ala rocket-jump) and slowly falls. You could possibly add some sort of uppercut with her Brrchuk-Arms, which could maybe deal ice-damage.

And for her Final Smash: Most people seem to agree on, that an Arms-character should use the Rush-Attack, which would pretty much function
like DK’s or Little Mac’s Final Smash. However, I think with Dr. Coyle you could get pretty unique with it. In Arms if Dr. Coyle grabs her opponent,
she will capture him/her in some sort of energy ball and then punch him/ her away. So, why not take this and expand on it? By activation she could
trap the enemy in said energy ball, which gradually would get bigger and let her punch the ball itself which leads to an explosion or let her just straight
go create a giant ball an let her throw it at her opponents (yes, let her go Spirit-Bomb!).

For other reasons, why I think it should be Dr. Coyle: She would be the first female villain playable on her own, who isn’t a clone and sole representative
of a franchise. Although Dr. Coyle isn’t really evil. She just got a few screws lose (and I love it). Her design itself is pretty cool and would be a nice
chance of pace in comparison to all the other characters. As a side note: she doesn’t have a spirit (for all those “sprits deconfirm”-people out there)
and her stage-theme is amazing (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu3sZqNvqmQ).

I wanted to do this for quite some time. This is probably my longest post so far, so sorry if I got carried away
(and if my bad English grammar is showing…^^’).

Anyway, I’m hyped for the Arms-Character and even more, if it ends up being Dr. Coyle.

Until next time and happy speculating (and be excellent to each other)

Jocario Zero

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Going to be perfectly honest I think people are sleeping on a Xenoblade 1 character for a multitude of reasons:

-Xenoblade 1 is back in the line of relevancy while 2 has seemed to have rotated out of it, Nintendo seems to be focusing their efforts on promoting it rather than 2 so it'd seem weird for them to suddenly choose a character from a game they haven't really been investing in as of recently
-The characters from 1 such as Fiora and Melia have completely unique kits and many traits that are distinctly to them, the former being a twin-blade wielder that can use drones and the other being a staff-wielder who can use ether and elemental attacks, while Rex is cool he mostly fills a standard sword user archetype even with Pyra/Mythra who mostly add elemental properties to his moves, and considering all the other DLC characters have been much more than that (Like Hero having a command deck/Mana Points and Byleth having the Hero's Relics) I'm not sure if it's something they'd go for
-Going back to the subject of Fiora, she already has assets in the game already via Shulk's Final Smash, considering we're getting a character from ARMS, and Chrom is in Robin's Final Smash, reusing assets doesn't seem too farfetched but said model would need to be polished up
-There are a couple Spirits from Xenoblade that were featured as trophies in Smash 4 are not in Ultimate, these could be included with the Challenger Pack and additionally the rearranged tracks in Definitive Edition could be included as tracks in the Challenger Pack

Overall I think timing is in a Xenoblade 1 character's favor more than someone from 2, but who really knows, it just depends on if Nintendo is willing to revisit marketing 2 despite them currently focusing on marketing 1.
Maybe Nintendo will prove me wrong but I still think that a Xenoblade 1 character for DLC is extremely unlikely.

The first point doesn't look very well if we keep ARMS in mind. ARMS wasn't pushed for a long time until literally today. The first Xenoblade already has a character in Smash, and XC:DE is a remake. Promoting a remake of a game that has already a character, stage and a lot of spirits & music tracks seems bizarre to me. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me, if I'm honest.

The only way I could see Fiora or any Xeno 1 character getting in would be if Xenoblade 1 was a super groundbreaking game in the industry like Ocarina of Time, Super Metroid or Mario 64 were back then. That's not the case.

To clarify, I love Xeno 1 and character wise I prefer Fiora over Rex (but Lora & Jin are the coolest for me). Not that I think Rex has big chances, but he's the only Xeno character I could see getting in at this point. It's just I can't picture at all a scenario where Nintendo decides to put another character from Xeno 1 for the sake of promoting the remake. For me it would be a strange move.

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
We now have confirmation: Challenger Pack 6 is going to be from Arms.

With this in mind, let me explain why I would like to see Dr. Coyle joining the battle.

(wall of text incoming)

View attachment 267184

But first, let me get one thing out of the way:

I saw a lot of people, even during pre-base-speculation, who said, that all Arms-characters could be echos or alternative costumes for one another.
To that I say: no, this wouldn’t work (at least not like some people are thinking it could). You see, first a lot of the Arms-characters have different
body-types. Having someone huge like Master Mummy or Mechanica as an alt for say Spring Man wouldn’t work
(remember even Isabelle didn’t work as an echo for Villager).

And second: All Arms-Characters have unique ability’s, only they can use. Ribbon Girl got multiple jumps, Master Mummy can regenerate health,
Helix can move his body ala Mr. Fantastic, Byte got Barq as an “assist” and Lola Pop can inflate her body like a balloon. Giving these ability’s to other characters or stripping said characters down from their ability’s wouldn’t work and, in my opinion, ruin the characters in themselves
(imagine Spring Man using the robot dog Barq in place of Byte. That’s like giving Peach or Daisy a Luma).

For example: Lola Pop is now playable as an alt for Spring Man, but she can’t use the ability’s that made her unique in her own game.
So, what’s the point of having her here? It’s like having Sagat from Street Fighter as a costume for Ryu. Sure, some moves have similar functions,
but that doesn’t mean, it could work as a costume or echos.

The only characters I could see work are Spring Man and Ribbon Girl as (at worst) alts of each other. Ribbon Girl has multiple jumps but that’s
a base-mechanic in smash, unless you want to give her multiple jumps like Kirby.

With that said, let’s get to the main course: Dr. Coyle.

I think Dr. Coyle could be very unique, if you consider what she can do in her home series. She can turn herself invisible through guarding, fly/ hover and has a third arm to her disposal. One special could be the Lokjaw-Arms which could be used as an extended punch followed up with firing an energy-ball (meaning good for close-range and distance-combat). This could possibly be combined with her third arm which would do additional damage.
The Parabola-Arm (which looks like an umbrella) could be used at first like say Pits old shield back in Brawl, but if you press the button again it will
move forward dealing electric-damage to the opponent and possibly stunning them. Her recovery could be her levitation-ability. She flies in the air
(ala rocket-jump) and slowly falls. You could possibly add some sort of uppercut with her Brrchuk-Arms, which could maybe deal ice-damage.

And for her Final Smash: Most people seem to agree on, that an Arms-character should use the Rush-Attack, which would pretty much function
like DK’s or Little Mac’s Final Smash. However, I think with Dr. Coyle you could get pretty unique with it. In Arms if Dr. Coyle grabs her opponent,
she will capture him/her in some sort of energy ball and then punch him/ her away. So, why not take this and expand on it? By activation she could
trap the enemy in said energy ball, which gradually would get bigger and let her punch the ball itself which leads to an explosion or let her just straight
go create a giant ball an let her throw it at her opponents (yes, let her go Spirit-Bomb!).

For other reasons, why I think it should be Dr. Coyle: She would be the first female villain playable on her own, who isn’t a clone and sole representative
of a franchise. Although Dr. Coyle isn’t really evil. She just got a few screws lose (and I love it). Her design itself is pretty cool and would be a nice
chance of pace in comparison to all the other characters. As a side note: she doesn’t have a spirit (for all those “sprits deconfirm”-people out there)
and her stage-theme is amazing (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu3sZqNvqmQ).

I wanted to do this for quite some time. This is probably my longest post so far, so sorry if I got carried away
(and if my bad English grammar is showing…^^’).

Anyway, I’m hyped for the Arms-Character and even more, if it ends up being Dr. Coyle.

Until next time and happy speculating (and be excellent to each other)

Jocario Zero
Didn't Dr. Coyle invent the titular ARMS in the first place? If so, that's another reason why it should be her.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Yeah, some of y'all are getting a bit ahead of yourselves here.

We've got nothing else to go on besides "ARMS X Smash Ultimate". It could lead to an upgraded character (I think this is likely), but for all we know something could be said within the Direct saying, "You may have noticed that Spring Man is an Assist Trophy in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Even so, it's rare for something like this to happen, so " blah blah blah, you get the point.

I'd go in, for those of you whose most wanted are currently NPC in Smash Ultimate, with the mindset of "They've done an upgrade. It's not a matter of can they upgrade my fav, but will they?"

That's really what this comes down to. It's expectation vs reality. I think it's plausible that there could be another upgrade. But a whole pass of 1st parties? A whole pass of upgrades? While I understand that folks are excited (and rightly so...we just got Smash news!) I think it would be wise to take a moment and catch your breath, and then look at things outside of the hype. Almost every time something big happens with Smash ,folks starting slinging out some hot takes that usually end up being shot down later, and this seems no different.

To me, things that seem realistic at this point:
- potential Assist Trophy upgrade
- potential Spirit upgrade
- more than one first party character
- more than one 3rd party character
- Challenger Packs staying in the same structure, considering all of the sales materials say so

To me, things that seem unrealistic at this point:
- a pass of entirely first parties
- echo fighters
- a pass entirely of upgrades

We still have many questions that need answers. I myself want characters in Smash that are currently NPCs, like Isaac and Rex. However, wanting them to happen does not mean that they will. That is the separation of expectation and reality that we need. The more reality we learn about, the better our expectations can be grounded.

I do not blame folks for being excited, but I think it's wise to take a step back before throwing some seriously spicy takes, such as labeling certain characters as locks (there's no such thing), or thinking there's going to be this majorly dynamically different approach to DLC picks.

Also: Minor nitpick...Sakurai isn't choosing the fighters. So when folks say, "Sakurai could pick this fighter", that isn't really the case here. We're very used to that, but Nintendo very likely has some different ideas with how this is going to go, hence why I think we could get Spring Man even though he's an AT. After all, Sakurai didn't have Byleth as his first choice and here we are.

Frankly, it all comes back to what I said earlier today. I think we're very used to brushing broad strokes of "rules", "theories", or ideas upon speculation, but they don't pan out. However, when looked at in a character by character basis, things seem to make more sense. That however makes things quite difficult to measure or speculate on though.

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Although I haven't played ARMS, I'm on Team Coyle solely on the basis that she'd validate my desire for Nemesis from Resident Evil.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Maybe Nintendo will prove me wrong but I still think that a Xenoblade 1 character for DLC is extremely unlikely.

The first point doesn't look very well if we keep ARMS in mind. ARMS wasn't pushed for a long time until literally today. The first Xenoblade already has a character in Smash, and XC:DE is a remake. Promoting a remake of a game that has already a character, stage and a lot of spirits & music tracks seems bizarre to me. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me, if I'm honest.

The only way I could see Fiora or any Xeno 1 character getting in would be if Xenoblade 1 was a super groundbreaking game in the industry like Ocarina of Time, Super Metroid or Mario 64 were back then. That's not the case.

To clarify, I love Xeno 1 and character wise I prefer Fiora over Rex (but Lora & Jin are the coolest for me). Not that I think Rex has big chances, but he's the only Xeno character I could see getting in at this point. It's just I can't picture at all a scenario where Nintendo decides to put another character from Xeno 1 for the sake of promoting the remake. For me it would be a strange move.
It’s the most recent game in the series and the one they seem the most invested in currently so I don’t see how it’s bizarre at all lol.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Hmm, was this mentioned? not sure

EDIT: Thats Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Mechanica, and Master Mummy as the only Icons being shown...

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
It’s the most recent game in the series and the one they seem the most invested in currently so I don’t see how it’s bizarre at all lol.
For me it is because it's a remake of a game that already has representation in Smash in all aspects.
Just to be clear if Nintendo ends proving me wrong I'd be happy (but confused at the same time lol), Xenoblade 1 is one of my fave Nintendo games.

Also, even I prefer Xeno 1 over 2, if the series gets another rep I'd rather have a character from a different game.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Honestly what makes this worse is how Nintendo's telling us to get excited for characters who at best have 10% chances each. Why bother looking into what everyone can do in case it's one of them when there's a high probablity that it's someone else I was significantly less invested in, for example, Dr. Coyle and Min Min are the ones people are hyping the hell up right now, but imagine looking forward to that and then "Haha you guys Robocop and Robodog!" I don't get why anyone thought this was a better idea than simply showing the character's render

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
I think it'd be easy for them to reskin the assist trophy if they end up promoting Springman. It'd be weird to have an assist and a character looking identical during gameplay. During a final smash is something else, but while playing, it might lead to people getting unnecessarily confused. And I highly doubt they'd cut an item while that character is in play.

I've always been under the impression that Xenoblade got its rep and now it's over. Is it that big of a franchise, to deserve a second character? Maybe from Xenoblade 2, but I'm under the impression that the whole Xeno line is more popular here than elsewhere. Ask the common of mortals, and I doubt they'd have heard of it beyond Xenoblade and even then, I thought the original was more of a sleeper hit, and that a lot of people got their first exposure to the game through Smash's version of Shulk..

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Show of hands, who here still thinks that Spirits disconfirm characters? :ultpacman:

Alrighty everyone the time has come! Put your tinfoil hats on who do you think the other fighters for the pass will be?

FP6: ARMS character/s (Confirmed; I’m saying Ribbon Girl or Min Min.)
FP7: Rex & Pyra
FP8: Heihachi Mishima
FP9: Pokémon from Sword & Shield
FP10: Paper Mario
  • FP6 - ARMS Fighter. This character is an amalgamation of 8 different characters from the game, with each of the 8 alts being those different characters from the game: Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, Master Mummy, Min-Min, Mechanica, Max Brass, and Dr. Coyle. These characters run off of the same logic as Bowser Jr.'s alts, which all use the same structure despite canonically having different sizes.
  • FP7 - Geno. I still think that SquareEnix is getting a character in this Pass given the leftover costumes that still haven't returned, and he's one of the most popular character requests out there.
  • FP8 - Heihachi. Similar to Geno, Bandai Namco have three costumes yet to return, and I think that one of them has a good chance of being upgraded, that being Heihachi. He was considered for Smash 4 but ultimately rejected, though now I could totally see him getting in this time.
  • FP9 - Rex & Pyra. If an ARMS character is coming, the likelihood of these two joining just shot up incredibly high. Highly requested, missed the boat by a year or so, more Xenoblade music in Smash.
  • FP10 - Dante from the Devil May Cry series. I still stand by Capcom getting a new character in this Fighter Pass, and now that three of his games are on Nintendo Switch now, I wouldn't be shocked at all to see him get in.
  • FP11 - No idea, but they're big. Master Chief, Sora, Kratos, Shantae, Shovel Knight, CJ, it doesn't matter. If they make the fanbase **** itself, that alone counts.

Highly doubt it. I think they're only doing it for ARMS specifically to get people speculating. Technically speaking, the game doesn't have a true main character. Sure Spring Man and Ribbon Girl are the faces of the series and Min-Min is the most popular, but there are still 12 other characters to choose from.

Hmm, was this mentioned? not sure

I don't personally think it means anything. Those five are some of the most recognizable characters in the game, after all. That said, I'm not ruling it out.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
For me it is because it's a remake of a game that already has representation in Smash in all aspects.
Just to be clear if Nintendo ends proving me wrong I'd be happy (but confused at the same time lol), Xenoblade 1 is one of my fave Nintendo games.

Also, even I prefer Xeno 1 over 2, if the series gets another rep I'd rather have a character from a different game.
I mean I can understand where you’re coming from but in my eyes it’d just be getting more content and I don’t necessarily see anything wrong with that.

There are quite a few elements from the first game still not represented in Smash, in a way only 50% of it is really represented but that’s to be expected with how massive of an experience it is.

Although granted in the event it IS Fiora I’m thinking she’d be announced a little bit after the game releases to give people time to play the game since she’d most likely be in THAT form.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Everything is possible with the announcement of an Arms character for Smash, it may also be possible that they are planning to release an amrs sequel this end year en they are releasing the next arms "protagonist" as Smash DLC, who knows. We will have to wait until june to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom