• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I think our ARMS character is gonna be like Bowser Jr. Meaning they might do all the same things but have different appearances like all of Bowser Jr's alts.

Also...
Screenshot_20200326-093028_YouTube.jpg
Sorry Twintelle, you don't have any extending arms, so you can't be picked. RIP Twintelle fans. /s

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I feel this pass is gonna continue going in ways none of us expect.

Lesson of the day: Fan rules are silly and shouldn't be the end all be all of discussion. Have fun talking about who you want or who you think will get in (respectively, of course) and go in knowing that Nintendo in the end will do whatever the heck they want. I'm going all in on Waluigi and Octolings. Will I be right? Who knows! But that's who I want and who I think have decent chances so I will wait and see what happens.

Also, ARMS is good go play it.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I'm not sure I'm buying this "business" angle here. ARMS is almost 3 years old, pretty sure they aren't expecting any boost in sales from this. There is no upcoming ARMS content coming that Nintendo can profit from as far as I know. You can say it's just for exposure, sure, but that would apply to almost every first party character.
There is also literally nothing that indicates an ARMS sequel at this point.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
There's something I just realized about this ARMS character. You know how Smash reveals tend to line up to where the most exciting newcomers are revealed close to the beginning and at E3? If an ARMS character was who they had planned as the first character of the second pass AND for E3 2020, how do you feel about the rest of the pass? Do you think that's indicative of anything?
I don't think it means too much as this Pass was very likely planned to stretch out over two E3s, and I do find it pretty likely that since the ARMS character releases in June we might get a double reveal at E3, especially since the ARMS character isn't a surprise anymore.

Some time back I actually had a feeling the first character of FP2 was going to be first party. Considering FP2 wasn't originally planned, I thought that in order to minimize the wait in between passes that they could go for a character they own themselves so to not have to go through the more extensive development cycle that they have to with third parties. Back then I predicted Edelgard, which obviously turned out to be wrong in more ways than one, but I wouldn't be surprised if the general idea is what happened here.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm not sure I'm buying this "business" angle here. ARMS is almost 3 years old, pretty sure they aren't expecting any boost in sales from this. There is no upcoming ARMS content coming that Nintendo can profit from as far as I know. You can say it's just for exposure, sure, but that would apply to almost every first party character.
Could be that they have plans for it in the future and they want to keep it alive and well through Smash. I feel like that's one of the reasons why Shulk was added in Smash 4, because Xenoblade Chronicles only existed as a single game back then. Not many people even knew who Shulk was before Smash.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Top ten biggest comebacks that no one saw coming

Spring Man is basically confirmed. We just need to wait for his reveal trailer. Hopefully during e3 so he can swiggity swooty into Smash. He is about as obvious as it gets. Other than that, I pray for Black Shadow.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I don't think it means too much as this Pass was very likely planned to stretch out over two E3s, and I do find it pretty likely that since the ARMS character releases in June we might get a double reveal at E3, especially since the ARMS character isn't a surprise anymore.

Some time back I actually had a feeling the first character of FP2 was going to be first party. Considering FP2 wasn't originally planned, I thought that in order to minimize the wait in between passes that they could go for a character they own themselves so to not have to go through the more extensive development cycle that they have to with third parties. Back then I predicted Edelgard, which obviously turned out to be wrong in more ways than one, but I wouldn't be surprised if the general idea is what happened here.
I can imagine an ARMS character also being on the shortlist for either Sakurai or Nintendo for a potential second fighters pass back when they were seeing how the first one was going.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
They did do something similar last year. Reveal the ARMS character at the start, (with a possible announcement of the Sakurai presentation on them at the same time) and then finish with FP7, likely to be released in August or September.
And tradition dictates that whoever is the E3 character will be the most exciting reveal of the set, as it's been in past E3 smash reveals.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
There's something I just realized about this ARMS character. You know how Smash reveals tend to line up to where the most exciting newcomers are revealed close to the beginning and at E3? If an ARMS character was who they had planned as the first character of the second pass AND for E3 2020, how do you feel about the rest of the pass? Do you think that's indicative of anything?
I think it'll be interesting to see how the rest of the pass will be. I myself figured there would be at least one first party character in the pass though I, along with others, weren't expecting FP6 to be a character from ARMS. It's an interesting choice to open the second wave of DLC, that's for sure. There is a possibility of a double reveal this summer, though we'll see.
Top ten biggest comebacks that no one saw coming
:laugh: Someone called an ARMS character a day after Smash Ultimate got revealed in the March 2018 Direct. If Spring Man is the ARMS character and breaks the assist trophy rule, then that post would age like fine wine.

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
You know, I’m a little sad Wynn got banned—I wanna know what’s going on in his head right now

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Certain "fan rules" are now hanging by a thread.

Good.:)
I hope so!

I really hope Spring Man gets upgraded from Assist Trophy to playable fighter in the same game.

There is a lot of characters who need hope.

Isaac, Skull Kid, Lyn, and of course Waluigi and for me Meowth.

Wow! It really does look like a Brawl era wish list.

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
The game didn’t perform nearly as well as they wanted it to (even if it did succeed overall), and, similar to the exposure SE wanted for DQ, adding ARMS has the opportunity to renew interest in it.
I've had an interest in ARMS since I got a Switch, more than a year ago, but it's been very difficult to find. Most stores in my area have been out of stock for months if not more, and because of that the game is really expensive on the second-hand market too.

So I'm surprised to hear that, I was under the impression that their "print run" was smaller than what they expected to sell. And now the second-hand prices are going to soar again if they don't produce more physical copies.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I wonder if Spring Man just being included in the list when teasing people is an indication that they and Sakurai really don't care about characters already being ATs and Spirits if they feel like including them later.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I wonder if Spring Man just being included in the list when teasing people is an indication that they and Sakurai really don't care about characters already being ATs and Spirits if they feel like including them later.
you can say the same for Ribbon Girl, Twintelle, Ninjara and Min Min too - just Spirits for those (Ribbon Girl's also a costume)

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Alright, here's my hard call.

It's going to be Spring Man. BUT this will be our first DLC fighter with an Echo.

We'll get another similarly proportioned ARMS fighter as an echo, and what sets them apart from Spring Man is their own gimmick being part of their kit (Ribbon Girl getting a Triple Jump, Min Min being able to kick when she dodges, etc.)

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

It's going to be Spring Man. BUT this will be our first DLC fighter with an Echo.

We'll get another similarly proportioned ARMS fighter as an echo, and what sets them apart from Spring Man is their own gimmick being part of their kit (Ribbon Girl getting a Triple Jump, Min Min being able to kick when she dodges, etc.)
Two for the price of one. Seems like a great deal.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
So, how 'bout that Direct? Honestly, when I heard about it this morning, I thought people were just pullin' my leg. I was like "Yeah right buddy, you gotta wake up pretty early to trick me with that one."

Then I went to my YouTube subscriptions and it was real.

Anyway, I'm hoping for Min Min, personally. She's the dev favorite, and she was my main in ARMS. Though I'd also gladly accept Ribbon Girl.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

finally, someone else sees the merit of bundled echoes being possible with this pass!

My idea is more Min Min with a Ninjara echo, but you do you. I def think they'll bundle 4 echoes with 4 specific fighters to fill all remaining 10 WoL slots in one go

blackghost

Smash Champion
since dr.coyle was the only character i didn't know much about I just watched the trailer. yeah i'd bet its her.

-flight
-teleport
-pulls a third arm out
her moveset potential is interesting a cross of mewtwo and lil mac sounds interesting.
plus she has a theme thats pretty cool as well.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
He was banned!? Aw man, I wanted to see his anger.
Actually, the prospect of an Assist Trophy promotion might have shaken him out of his usual doom and gloom antics. Though he may need to see Spring Man gameplay footage to believe it.

EDIT: Though none of that would happen if he doesn't like Spring Man or ARMS.

finally, someone else sees the merit of bundled echoes being possible with this pass!
*slams desk*
Am I a joke to you!?!

Last edited:

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
you can say the same for Ribbon Girl, Twintelle, Ninjara and Min Min too - just Spirits for those (Ribbon Girl's also a costume)
These next three months will be mostly speculation on if fan rules can be broken or not, with a side of maybe other possible candidates from other games for DLC. The chances of the fan rules being true or false will hinge on the identity of FP6, and to an extent, the second pass.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Not to be pushy or anything, but since we know the next fighter is coming from ARMS, can the Mods please make a new poll asking people which character they think is gonna be picked as the new fighter?

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
since dr.coyle was the only character i didn't know much about I just watched the trailer. yeah i'd bet its her.

-flight
-teleport
-pulls a third arm out
her moveset potential is interesting a cross of mewtwo and lil mac sounds interesting.
plus she has a theme thats pretty cool as well.
That's actually not a teleport. It's invisibility on wakeup, and I think after blocking for a bit.

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Regardless of who it is, some "fan rule" is going to be broken like AT, Mii Outfit or Spirit Promotions and in Dr. Coyle's case, the "villain can't be the first rep".

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
While I'm not too excited about ARMS, I, for once, do want to say that I'm glad Nintendo bothered to at least say the franchise this character comes from. It's not perfect because they refused to say who it was, but the fact that they're at least giving people an idea of who it may be and are sparing themselves another Byleth controversy.

Hopefully, they'll also tell who the other characters will be with as much priority as this one next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom