• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The lore being Bayo model glitching up after she doesn't a certain move in a certain frame I believe. Plus her being use as a base model for some DLC character currently being worked on. Similar to the Duck Hunt crashing Multi Man Smash theory in where people believed the reason Duck Hunt was crashing Multi Man Smash was because he was being use as a base for Banjo & Kazooie.
Wasn't it eventually found out that it was Ridley that was used as the base for Banjo, not Duck Hunt?

Last edited:

Nate1080

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nate1080
How different do each of the characters play from each other, out of curiosity?
Despite the same basic core gameplay, each character has unique traits that define their overall play style. Some characters are more grounded (Spring Man) while others are more aerial (Ribbon Girl), some characters are hyper aggressive, trying to trap you into a corner (Maxx Brass) while some just play the whole damn field and do whatever they want (Dr. Coyle).

Pretty differently tbh.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
There's not much chance of them doing this (and within ARMS there's not really any justification for it), but I'd love to see a Pokemon Trainer esque transformation mechanic that would allow for multiple characters from the game to play as. Being able to switch from Twintelle to Helix to Lola Pop would be pretty cool.
I don't think that'd be a good representation of ARMS, but it's a heck of a lot better than having everyone be alts of each other.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think you're overanalyzing this. After two first-parties in a row, one of which who comes from a game that had no content in Smash, the other coming from a game that had both an AT and several Spirits, it's pointless trying to pull out a pattern and explain what Nintendo/Sakurai is thinking.

That being said, I don't understand your logic for Rex and how XC2 might be too old. Unless ARMS 2 is right around the corner, there was no real reason for Nintendo to promote ARMS, a game that's nearing its three year anniversary, in this DLC. It's even older than XC2.
I’ve already gone over why I believe ARMS makes sense at this point.

The game didn’t perform nearly as well as they wanted it to (even if it did succeed overall), and, similar to the exposure SE wanted for DQ, adding ARMS has the opportunity to renew interest in it.

While XB2 isn’t necessarily old in terms of longevity, there is already another game coming out for Xenoblade with the definitive edition. We have a different protagonist now, a different world, etc. It’s not the same situation.

This isn’t even me changing goalposts to seem right or something. It’s simply not the same situation for every character or series. It seems to me more like a business-minded decision than a, “Eh let’s upgrade stuff in Smash” at this point in time.

Actually, if you want my thought on any further 1st parties, if they reveal Fighter 7 in June, I have to wonder if Urshifu makes sense for that.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Ok, speculation time! So, we know Spring Man is the main character in ARMS, and Ribbon Girl is the secondary main character. We know Sakurai usually adds the protagonist of a series first before anyone else from said series. But here's the thing, though. Spring Man is already an Assist, and both he and Ribbon Girl are spirits. Spirits and Assists are known to be "deconfirmations" of a given character, so here's what I think. The character will not only break the rules and ignore the Assist and Spirit "rule", but we'll also get more than one character.

That's right, Fighter's Pass 6 will be multiple characters in one. Spring Man as the default skin, Ribbon Girl as skin 2, Ninjara as skin 3, and Min Min as skin 4. The remaining 4 will be skins of those 4 based on other characters from ARMS, much like Hero's skins. This way, you have the 4 most notable characters from ARMS, a perfect balance of 2 girls and 2 boys, and the 4 of these characters all have almost identical proportions, much like the Heroes, meaning they could easily be the same character. All 4 of them can share moves that may have been exclusive to on of them before, for example all of them could use Min Min's mid-air kicks.

I feel this is the best way to represent ARMS, as it's not just about one character, but the whole cast of interesting and unique characters. To my knowledge, most characters share the same gameplay style but with slight, character-exclusive abilities so it would feel natural enough to include 4 characters in one.
I was thinking more Echoes. This is said to be the final wave of DLC but there’s only six fighters in this pass, meaning four empty WoL slots will remain. So four characters in this pass will be bundled with Echoes - they only said no echoes for pass 1. And the characters of ARMS have key differences that make them being skins of each other impossible, but Echoes would be plausible as long as they share the same body type and are close to the same height.

im thinking Min Min with a Ninjara echo myself

pinshadow

Smash Lord
They didn't reveal a single new first party game. I feel HIGH. Like, its a 30 MINUTE mini direct. And it feels like we know JUST AS LITTLE ABOUT THIS REST OF THE YEAR AS WE DID BEFORE. ONE GAME! HOW HARD IS THAT?

I guess Panzer Dragoon Remake launches today, and that weird Job game, but given the lineup for the year I'm just stuck wondering if they even have anything at all.

I'm still processing Arms.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Reason people assumes this though is given Spring Man being an assist and Ribbon Girl and Mii costume assuming they don't deconfirm which we probably won't know until June.
I understand why people are suggesting those characters, but I don't think they grasp that were those the best the series had to offer, they'd probably just not add an ARMS character. Maybe you don't have to start with the protagonist but you don't start like half a dozen characters down either.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
They didn't reveal a single new first party game. I feel HIGH. Like, its a 30 MINUTE direct. And it feels like we know JUST AS LITTLE ABOUT THIS REST OF THE YEAR AS WE DID BEFORE. ONE GAME! HOW HARD IS THAT?

I’m just happy we FINALLY got XCDE news. You have NO idea how long I’ve waited for proper info

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Conspiracy theory:
The fighter they were initially working on for FP6 got full-on cancelled due to covid-19, so the team fell back on a 1st party IP that they wanted to include anyway (ARMS), hence the delay. Which ARMS character gets in will be determined by the tournament.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Im loving that the next character is from Arms. Yeah there really wasnt a trailer but Im glad we finally have something concrete to look forward to instead of just "something, eventually".

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Well dang, they've never just announced a series and let us guess who it is. Pretty fun.

Anyway, Arms was eh for me but def earns its spot. What has me more excited is what """rules""" it can break.

If it's Spring Man, that is a MASSIVE deal, since the assist floodgate will burst.

But if it's Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Min Min, Twintelle, or Ninjara, then the "Spirits deconfirm" bubble will be popped too.

It's interesting that they aren't just saying it's Spring Man though, since he is the face of the series. It'd be like adding Chun Li before Ryu. Not that that's a bad thing, just sorta tradition breaking. Them saying it could be anyone makes me think it'll be an oddball pick, since you can't exactly make the other fighters alts.

Moral of the story is give me Min Min or give me Death.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Im loving that the next character is from Arms. Yeah there really wasnt a trailer but Im glad we finally have something concrete to look forward to instead of just "something, eventually".
Past always being a proponent of more unrepresented Nintendo series, I might be most thrilled we're finally going to actually get ARMS music.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Conspiracy theory:
The fighter they were initially working on for FP6 got full-on cancelled due to covid-19, so the team fell back on a 1st party IP that they wanted to include anyway (ARMS), hence the delay. Which ARMS character gets in will be determined by the tournament.
That could've happened, but wouldn't it make more sense to just push the character further in the pass rather than cancel them altogether?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Actually, if you want my thought on any further 1st parties, if they reveal Fighter 7 in June, I have to wonder if Urshifu makes sense for that.
It'd be too late. If any promotional Pokémon come after the Frozen Tundra DLC it will be Calyrex.

Off topic, but I'm kinda worried about Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield's DLC. From what they've described it kind of just sounds like a normal Mythical Pokémon event (like the Victini event) mixed with a Wild Area. If that's the case, it will probably be pretty disappointing, and will just add to Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield's divisiveness.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Hahaha, and again, the character revealed is the one noone was expecting.

GG Dante, Doomguy and Crash, since this character are excpeted theyr clearly not in teh game /s.

Good to know that the 1st party game doesn't need to be on its prime to be a candidate.

Wondering if we are getting a Bowser Jr situation? anyways, i'm betting taht Min Min in one way or form is gonna be playable. (either as a stand alone fighter or a costume) which is nice, my main problem with Arms character wasn't the concept itself, bu ttthat i found Spring Man and ribbon girl to be alittle boring, character wise.

If we likely are getting some of teh more interesting characters? I'm totally In.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Well, now that we know that FP6 is an ARMS character, here's a rumor that did not age very well (tweets are screenshotted in case they are deleted):

mandycannot.png

The reason why MandyCanNot gained traction back in late January is because they correctly predicted Byleth back in October, though that always seemed like a lucky guess. Other than a mouse game that was announced last week in the Indie World presentation, they haven't been fully accurate.
The lore being Bayo model glitching up after she doesn't a certain move in a certain frame I believe. Plus her being use as a base model for some DLC character currently being worked on. Similar to the Duck Hunt crashing Multi Man Smash theory in where people believed the reason Duck Hunt was crashing Multi Man Smash was because he was being use as a base for Banjo & Kazooie.
Until it was discovered that Banjo used Ridley of all characters as a base.

zferolie

Smash Hero
They didn't reveal a single new first party game. I feel HIGH. Like, its a 30 MINUTE mini direct. And it feels like we know JUST AS LITTLE ABOUT THIS REST OF THE YEAR AS WE DID BEFORE. ONE GAME! HOW HARD IS THAT?

I guess Panzer Dragoon Remake launches today, and that weird Job game, but given the lineup for the year I'm just stuck wondering if they even have anything at all.

I think they are saving those for when the normal E3 direct is. I can see them announcing those big rumored games there(paper mario, metroid), more info for Bayo 3 or BotW2, and then we get both the Arms fighter shown AND the next teaser trailer like last year.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Saying we'll get Max Brass or Dr. Coyle is like saying our first character from Street Fighter would be Zangief or M. Bison.

If your viable choices begin with Zangief and Bison, we probably just wouldn't get a SF character. If we're only getting one character (as in, not a multi-character), they're going to take from the top. The only question is who they consider to be at the top.
So Helix = Blanka?

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Conspiracy theory:
That's on the same level as some of the Byleth conspiracy theories, so don't be that guy.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It'd be too late. If any promotional Pokémon come after the Frozen Tundra DLC it will be Calyrex.
If Calyrex worked as well as Urshifu that'd be one thing, but being between the first and second pack (which is presumably when FP7 would come out) would still definitely put it firmly within the promotional window. Frankly it could even be FP8. The character doesn't always have to come before the release to be promotional. Look at Byleth.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
There's something I just realized about this ARMS character. You know how Smash reveals tend to line up to where the most exciting newcomers are revealed close to the beginning and at E3? If an ARMS character was who they had planned as the first character of the second pass AND for E3 2020, how do you feel about the rest of the pass? Do you think that's indicative of anything?

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Personally, I still consider Byleth to be another male character because the male version is ultimately who they'll push as the face of Byleth going forward, just like male Corrin. Female Byleth is technically just an alt.

If they had chosen female Byleth to be the main variant like they did with WFT and Inkling, then I would've counted her as a female rep.
This is the dumbest **** I see the Smash community pull with regards to representation. They're literally given an equal number of Alts, Female Byleth has unique animations to her Male counterpart, and even she had the huge satisfying moment in the trailer where Male Byleth got his ass beaten. They're also portrayed as equals in every advertisement of Byleth as a character.

There isn't a "main variant."

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If Calyrex worked as well as Urshifu that'd be one thing, but being between the first and second pack (which is presumably when FP7 would come out) would still definitely put it firmly within the promotional window. Frankly it could even be FP8. The character doesn't always have to come before the release to be promotional. Look at Byleth.
For some reason I saw 7 and thought he was talking about the last one (#11). Yeah it'd probably be fine from a promotional standpoint. I hope it doesn't happen though, it'll just get more people mad at Pokémon.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
anyways, i do think that the theory that maybe ARMs was character 2 or unplanned have some water, considering how terrible regarding announcements that one was (understandable though) and if for example they wanted to open teh pass with a western big hotter character, is understandable that COVID-19 would thro all that plans trough the havock considering how international travel was being risky overall even before all this.

And we know that at least ONE 3rd party character was impacted by this (not neccesarilly FP6 though) due to unability to meeting by sakurai's own words.

If Arms character was previously planned, and if the other character was switched, or replaced? we don't have enough info).

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
This is the dumbest **** I see the Smash community pull with regards to representation. They're literally given an equal number of Alts, Female Byleth has unique animations to her Male counterpart, and even she had the huge satisfying moment in the trailer where Male Byleth got his ass beaten. They're also portrayed as equals in every advertisement of Byleth as a character.

Except there is. Can you honestly say that female Villager and female Robin have gotten the same amount of attention as their male counterparts? Did male WFT and male Inkling get amiibo?

You can count Byleth as a female character if you want, but it's wishful thinking to say that both genders of a single character will always be equally promoted in Smash games. That's not even me being biased. I'm just going off of literally every other avatar character who can swap genders.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
If Nintendo is still planning an E3 timed Direct, than it would probably make more sense to do the significant character there with FP7 and have someone like and ARMS character for the smaller Spring presentation.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

This is true, the only place where female Byleth gets snubbed is on the poster. Everywhere else they're always together, which is actually unique to characters with male and female versions of themselves.

Did male WFT and male Inkling get amiibo?
No but male Inkling does appear in the World of Light cutscene.

There's something I just realized about this ARMS character. You know how Smash reveals tend to line up to where the most exciting newcomers are revealed close to the beginning and at E3? If an ARMS character was who they had planned as the first character of the second pass AND for E3 2020, how do you feel about the rest of the pass? Do you think that's indicative of anything?
I don't think so. My guess is they either don't care about order anymore, or they had to swap some characters around due to unforeseen circumstances.

I.D.

Smash Lord
I'm not sure I'm buying this "business" angle here. ARMS is almost 3 years old, pretty sure they aren't expecting any boost in sales from this. There is no upcoming ARMS content coming that Nintendo can profit from as far as I know. You can say it's just for exposure, sure, but that would apply to almost every first party character.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
They confirmed a release date in June though. At best we'll get a double reveal.
They did do something similar last year. Reveal the ARMS character at the start, (with a possible announcement of the Sakurai presentation on them at the same time) and then finish with FP7, likely to be released in August or September.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'm not sure I'm buying this "business" angle here. ARMS is almost 3 years old, pretty sure they aren't expecting any boost in sales from this. There is no upcoming ARMS content coming that Nintendo can profit from as far as I know. You can say it's just for exposure, sure, but that would apply to almost every first party character.
They did release a demo for Nintendo Switch online users, so they are at least capitalizing on the decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom