• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

zferolie

Smash Hero
She has these things Going for her;
1. She's not another Male Fighter
2. She's a VILLAIN, and the Main Antagonist of ARMS, as she created Helix, She created Hedlock, and Created Springtron

BTW Here's my NEW List for Fighters pass 2;

Challenger Pack 6: Dr. Coyle(We Need more Villains in Smash)
Challenger Pack 7: Heihachi Mishima
Challenger Pack 8: Crash Bandicoot
Challenger Pack 9: Travis Touchdown
Challenger Pack 10: Bandana Waddle Dee
Challenger Pack 11: Geno(Might as well as save the best for Last)
Replace Heihachi with Shantae and Bandana with

I'm thinking it's either going to be:

- A Hero situation, with Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Min-Min and Ninjara. They were some the first characters introduced, so it's only fair (if fair is even a thing in Smash), and it would please the most people. Additionally, their character models and their game play styles aren't so drastically different as to not allow for them to overlap (e.g., Twintelle would require tweaking animations and Master Mummy would require tweaking the character model); OR,

- It's Twintelle. She's by far the most popular character on the game (for some because of her...um...let's say "properties"...).

Either way, I see this as a win. No matter what character is added, we break some kind of prediction convention. I think one thing is for sure: these characters were decided after the game and it's initial DLC were planned. I think this truly could be Sakurai's love letter to fans. In my mind, ARMS shows that games that were developed concurrently with Ultimate aren't out of the running, so Rex/Pyra have another chance. It shows that he is willing to expand franchises only represented by assist trophies, so that means upgrades like Isaac or additions like Matthew for games like Golden Sun. Lastly, it also means that spirits don't necessarily deconfirm anything, which gives hope for Geno folk.

I'm pumped.
I think the former is the most likely, but if its just 1, Its either Min Min, Twintelle, or Dr. Coyle. Any of those I would love. A femmale villain would be awesome though, and rooting for her a ton. Heck, I would love it if they go Bowser jr route and have all 8 be a fighter, she can fit in well.

To clarify btw, I’m not saying characters like Rex, Bandanna Waddle Dee, Isaac, or Waluigi CAN’T happen. They could, especially if upgrades are on the table.

The thing of it is though, the line of reasoning for each character doesn’t necessarily guarantee that. It also doesn’t make any other character suddenly more likely than another. This was a reveal that gave us answers, but also gave us more questions.

It’s a bit hasty to look at a character like Rex as a Nintendo pick. I would love him in Smash. However, if Nintendo is picking, it doesn’t seem like the same situation. He’s from the second, now “old” game in the series, and we have a XCDE game coming out with a focus on the dude who’s already in Smash. Nintendo would have to pick him, not Sakurai.

Waluigi is Waluigi, so I could see him down the line potentially.

Lastly, I will say this. One way to add toxicity to a community that would be much better without it is to create this illusion of “teams” with ideas of how the roster will pan out. I, personally, am so ****ing sick of team mentality in society today. It puts people against each other and then makes things a competition, when really all we want to do is exchange ideas about Smash. I’ve already seen some comments about how, “Look at these people in denial! It’s hilarious!”, and other such stuff.

Really?

I put my opinions out there, they’ve been incorrect. Despite that, many folks like my comments and/or agree. Why is that? If I had to wager a guess, it’s because even when I’m wrong, the way I communicate my ideas is clear, thoughtful, and convincing to people. I’m rarely rude (only if I feel I’ve been slighted in the first place), but I will admit I get passionate about Smash. It’s, like, my favorite thing.

There’s no reason for anybody to start bragging about anything. Be a good person, this isn’t a team vs. team type of thing. This is for fun. Enjoy Smash. Even though I didn’t expect ARMS in Smash, I’m hyped, and fully expecting an upgrade (as part of a greater picture, granted).
I would like to say 1 thing. Sakurai does say Nintendo picked the characters, but Nintendo also really respects Sakurai, if they knew Sakurai REALLY wanted Rex in, I could see them allowing him in. Remember we got King K Rool so not all the picks by nintendo are purely Ppromotional.

I'm not saying its a lock for sure, just saaying its still on the table.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
On an unrelated note it's pretty wild that all Nintendo announced first-party wise in the year between E3 2019 and when E3 2020 likely would've been is two ports, two low-key eShop games, Ring Fit (which I'm sure is fun, but sort of its own thing) and DLC.

And when I say wild, I mean it's kinda ****ed up.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
What references to XC2; The Only thing I Saw that was in XC2 in XC:DE for Nintendo Switch; was the same Artstyle used in xenoblade chronicles 2, having Shulk & the rest of the characters looking more like the Anime-esque Stylized characters of XC2,
Look at Alvis' necklace.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
What references to XC2; The Only thing I Saw that was in XC2 in XC:DE for Nintendo Switch; was the same Artstyle used in xenoblade chronicles 2, having Shulk & the rest of the characters looking more like the Anime-esque Stylized characters of XC2,
They made a change to Alvis's character design that confirms a popular fan theory.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
So far Arvis appears with a core crystal as a necklace, while in the original he had a key shaped necklace.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Are you saying this character WONT be one of the following:
  • Min-Min
  • Twintelle
  • Ribbon Girl
  • Spring Man
  • Ninjara
The only other conceivable picks are Max Brass or Dr. Coyle, who were not even featured in the release hype cycle. I'd take 99 to 100 odds that the Arms character will be one with a spirit in the game already. Min-Min is the front runner imo.

Frankly, I think this confirms what we've said since FP1 ended: this content was decided on after the game released, so everything is back on the table.
I'm saying I think recent Spirits are Disconfirmations still because of how intentional they were designed in a time period where DLC was actively being chosen. Stuff getting content in Base Game disconfirmed Fighter's Pass 1 content, while I think stuff getting content during Fighter's Pass Volume 1 and the early stages of Volume 2 are out for Volume 2. It's relative to when that content released. Pokemon, Resident Evil, River City, Astral Chain, and Ring Fit all got Spirits after they had announced they were working on further DLC and making decisions in regards to that content. I think everything base game has the potential to be back on the table, it's just a question of what things they are going to prioritize.

But anything after September that has gotten new Smash content? I think it's under the same issue with base game to Fighter's Pass Volume 1 (sadly, because I would have loved any of those games except Pokemon to get content).

Calamitas

Smash Champion
It's not the same art style as the one in 2. Compare Shulk and Fiora between their appearance in 2 and their appearance in Definitive Edition, they (thankfully) look notably different. As for the reference,

Alvis has something that looks similar to the core crystal of Pyra/Mythra and Malos on his necklace.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Spoiler: It didn't happen tomorrow. :nifty:
Or maybe...now hear me out here...there was never a Direct planned for tomorrow, and fake leakers are full of **** like always.
Go home Jeff your drunk.
AND THEN TOMORROW AND THEN TOMORROW, AND TOMORROW...
View attachment 267027
How is this dude still confident? If it happens this will be the greatest rugpull in Nintendo history.
Not counting on it. I think he and people are setting themselves for disappointment.
Lol

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Now that I think about it, not releasing who exactly the ARMS character is a pretty smart marketing ploy. For the next few months ARMS will dominate the speculation scene. Meaning people will research ARMS, talk about it, make videos over it, be exposed to it, and even develop support behind various ARMS characters.

It's like turning speculation into a focused advertisement for ARMS. This is most it will be talked about in years and will be talked about way more than if they just revealed the character straight up.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Now that I think about it, not releasing who exactly the ARMS character is a pretty smart marketing ploy. For the next few months ARMS will dominate the speculation scene. Meaning people will research ARMS, talk about it, make videos over it, be exposed to it, and even develop support behind various ARMS characters.

It's like turning speculation into a focused advertisement for ARMS. This is most it will be talked about in years and will be talked about way more than if they just revealed the character straight up.
Delightfully devilish, Nintendo.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
It's not the same art style as the one in 2. Compare Shulk and Fiora between their appearance in 2 and their appearance in Definitive Edition, they (thankfully) look notably different. As for the reference,

Alvis has something that looks similar to the core crystal of Pyra/Mythra and Malos on his necklace.
It looks closer to the Anime-esque Artstyle of XC2 than it does to the Original Game & Its New 3ds Port; seriously; Am I the only one who remembers how dated & ugly the original game looked?! this is like the Fresh Coat of Paint that its sequel got

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
These next few months are gonna be so bizarre. Imagine visiting this thread and walking right into the middle of a fiery debate on not who the next third-party will be, but instead on who the most likely ARMS character will be.

I think we can safely say that none of us were expecting ARMS of all things to dominate the Smash discussions in 2020.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
What would your reaction be if Dixie ends up being the next DLC character?
I'd love it. I'm not the biggest Donkey Kong fan in the world, having only played Tropical Freeze and Returns, but I enjoyed those well enough.

It looks closer to the Anime-esque Artstyle of XC2 than it does to the Original Game & Its New 3ds Port; seriously; Am I the only one who remembers how dated the original game looked?!
And what, the original Xenoblade wasn't anime-looking? Sure, the DE art style isn't a direct adaptation of that art style, but it's still pretty close to it.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
These next few months are gonna be so bizarre. Imagine visiting this thread and walking right into the middle of a fiery debate on not who the next third-party will be, but instead on who the most likely ARMS character will be.

I think we can safely say that none of us were expecting ARMS of all things to dominate the Smash discussions in 2020.
I officially declare this thread to be an Arms thread now until June.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
I'd love it. I'm not the biggest Donkey Kong fan in the world, having only played Tropical Freeze and Returns, but I enjoyed those well enough.

And what, the original Xenoblade wasn't anime-looking? Sure, the DE art style isn't a direct adaptation of that art style, but it's still pretty close to it.
Not really; It looks much more pretty as I See more similarities to its sequel's Artstyle; than The Original game itself;

Let's just agree to DISAGREE!!

Krankees

Smash Ace
Whoever it is, a fan rule will be broken regardless. If it isn't Spring Man, the main character fan rule is debunked. If any characters that were spirits in the base game get in, there goes "Spirits Deconfirm". Ribbon Girl also has a mii costume so that might be something. And of course Spring Man with a mii costume, spirit, and an assist trophy.

Untouch

Smash Master
https://twitter.com/Sephazon/status/1243209957274570753

This is making me lean towards Helix.
A character that can shift their hurtbox during attacks would be pretty unprecedented in Smash and be kind of difficult to program.
(Of course, the character's attacks can all function like Link's boomerang and allow moving while Smash attacks are out or something, that'd be pretty unbalanced.)

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman
What would your reaction be if Dixie ends up being the next DLC character?
I'll be very happy tbh. I think she deserves to be in Smash as a full character (and not as Diddy echo).
Maybe she is not in my top 5 most wanted, but still she's a great choice for me.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Whoever it is, a fan rule will be broken regardless. If it isn't Spring Man, the main character fan rule is debunked. If any characters that were spirits in the base game get in, there goes "Spirits Deconfirm". Ribbon Girl also has a mii costume so that might be something. And of course Spring Man with a mii costume, spirit, and an assist trophy.
I mean, regardless of who the character is, a fan rule was already broken.

"They're only adding characters from entirely new worlds. Byleth still counts because he's from a new game and Three Houses wasn't represented in Smash. They'd never choose someone like a character from ARMS because it already has an AT and Spirits, so a new character wouldn't add much."

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

A character that can shift their hurtbox during attacks would be pretty unprecedented in Smash and be kind of difficult to program.
(Of course, the character's attacks can all function like Link's boomerang and allow moving while Smash attacks are out or something, that'd be pretty unbalanced.)
The "maintaining the spirit of the 'ARMS' part makes me think it's going to be a more basic character.

Honestly, I'm very skeptical about Nintendo choosing a random character over the designated mascot after Byleth.

zferolie

Smash Hero

To be fair, any ARMS character breaks the mechanics with their super long limbs.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I mean, regardless of who the character is, a fan rule was already broken.

"They're only adding characters from entirely new worlds. Byleth still counts because Three Houses wasn't represented in Smash. They'd never choose someone like a character from ARMS because it already has an AT and Spirits, so a new character wouldn't add much."
And more fan assumptions will only likely be broken.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
After today’s announcement of the next character being from ARMS that it will be Ribbon Girl.

The was the poster child of the game alongside Spring Man who is already an Assist Trophy, and it would add the first female DLC character.

Wouldn’t be surprised if it were Min Min, Twintelle, or Dr. Coyle either. With this announcement I also believe FP2 will have more of a 1st Party focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom