• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Considering how they just sent out an email advertising the pass yesterday, I highly doubt it's cancelled.
I mean, I agree. My post was just a bad joke because of Nintendo not announcing a direct.

Mans be TRIPLING down now...
Well, he could have said "it was delayed" or something, but this is curious. I don't think they will shadowdrop a general direct tomorrow, though.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Like? Did you guys even see on the last page. There's an tweet posted by BLZ8 explaining why there's yet to be an direct. So in a way it is delayed.
Or maybe...now hear me out here...there was never a Direct planned for tomorrow, and fake leakers are full of **** like always.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Oh, you'd be surprised how leniant the law can be. Just look at Disney.
I dunno what this means, if anything Disney's infamous for playing the law for all its loopholes. But regardless, legally they need to keep their investors informed on what their next fiscal year holds, and they can't lie. Otherwise not only will their stocks tank, they'll get lawsuits up the ass, and from the kind of people that can get them to stick.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
This whole thing kinda reminds me of those people who "predict the apocalypse" and then continuously update their predictions whenever the date they chose passes with nothing happening.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I dunno what this means, if anything Disney's infamous for playing the law for all its loopholes. But regardless, legally they need to keep their investors informed on what their next fiscal year holds, and they can't lie. Otherwise not only will their stocks tank, they'll get lawsuits up the ass, and from the kind of people that can get them to stick.
He's referring to the fact that Mickey, Spiderman, and others owned by Disney hasn't entered the public domain yet because Disney keeps pushing for lawmakers to side with them.

I could go further with bribery and other things but I think we should probably just leave it at that.

D

Deleted member

In news that don't relate to anything Nintendo related, here's a tweet linking an article of Koei-Tecmo's CEO Hisashi Koinuma talking about a handful of things (collaborations, KT sticking with its Asian influence unlike other Japanese companies, the gaming markets around the world, etc.).

I'm not entirely in the right mindset to bullet point everything since I mostly skim read through this, but the 3 key takeaways I had here are as follow (feel free to correct me if I got something wrong cause I'm feeling a bit off today):

-Dynasty Warriors is indeed the franchise that kicked off KT's collaborations with various publishers and IPs starting with the Gundam series
-With all these collaborations, it's difficult for KT to actually work on their own IPs or create new 1s

-Nioh has sold 3 million copies and may reach KT's goal of an original IP selling 5 million units post-merger
-according to Koinuma, Japanese players prefer "gacha style" systems so it's their fault for KT's overpriced DLC practices while Western players just want to play without spending more money

So with Nioh being a very big success for Koei-Tecmo and the sequel being released a few weeks ago, I wonder how people would feel about the possibility of William being added to Smash. I'd be down for it since he's a cool character, and despite the stamina bar, the flow of Nioh's combat would fit better than Dark Souls would IMO.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
In news that don't relate to anything Nintendo related, here's a tweet linking an article of Koei-Tecmo's CEO Hisashi Koinuma talking about a handful of things (collaborations, KT sticking with its Asian influence unlike other Japanese companies, the gaming markets around the world, etc.).

I'm not entirely in the right mindset to bullet point everything since I mostly skim read through this, but the 3 key takeaways I had here are as follow (feel free to correct me if I got something wrong cause I'm feeling a bit off today):

-Dynasty Warriors is indeed the franchise that kicked off KT's collaborations with various publishers and IPs starting with the Gundam series
-With all these collaborations, it's difficult for KT to actually work on their own IPs or create new 1s
-Nioh has sold 3 million copies and may reach KT's goal of an original IP selling 5 million units post-merger
-according to Koinuma, Japanese players prefer "gacha style" systems so it's their fault for KT's overpriced DLC practices while Western players just want to play without spending more money

So with Nioh being a very big success for Koei-Tecmo and the sequel being released a few weeks ago, I wonder how people would feel about the possibility of William being added to Smash. I'd be down for it since he's a cool character, and despite the stamina bar, the flow of Nioh's combat would fit better than Dark Souls would IMO.
Fine I guess but Sony published both games outside of Japan so good luck with that happening.

D

Deleted member

Fine I guess but Sony published both games outside of Japan so good luck with that happening.
Thing is though that Koei-Tecmo owns the rights to the franchise. Sony only publishes both games outside of Japan, so they don't own the franchise like they do with Death Stranding and Horizon Zero Dawn.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

As far as I know, Dynasty Warriors' characters are based on real people, which may raise some questions.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Our only hope is a YOU NEVER SAW IT COMING shadow drop tomorrow. If not, April/May I guess

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

I'd rather see Hayabusa first and I think that's the most likely outcome but I wouldn't be opposed to William at all. Nioh 1 was great, and in sure Nioh 2 is as well. Koei-Tecmo deserves both though, they've been with Nintendo through all their ups and downs.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I mean, I agree. My post was just a bad joke because of Nintendo not announcing a direct.

Well, he could have said "it was delayed" or something, but this is curious. I don't think they will shadowdrop a general direct tomorrow, though.
They could announce and air it on the same day .
Weirder things have happened.

D

Deleted member

As far as I know, Dynasty Warriors' characters are based on real people, which may raise some questions.
I've mentioned before that this wouldn't be an issue because Dynasty Warriors is a video game franchise and the characters are Koei-Tecmo's interpretation of their real life/novel counterparts. The only thing that would keep Sakurai from putting an actual person in there is if he doesn't have any source material to go off of and has to make his own version of that character.
Not as a playable character. And besides, there's also Ryu Hayabusa you have to take into consideration here.
Just because Dr Kawashima isn't playable doesn't mean it nulls any possibility of a character based on a real life person. If that were the case, why would he be in the game at all?

As for Hayabusa, that is pretty much up in the air right now. All 3 franchises have their merits (Ninja Gaiden being a recognizable IP & its NES origins, Dynasty Warriors spawning the Musou genre & being the biggest franchise KT owns, Nioh's recent success becoming the next major title for KT), but whichever franchise is chosen lies on both Nintendo and Sakurai. I don't believe Sakurai would dismiss any of the 3 if given the proposal.

Last edited by a moderator:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I've mentioned before that this wouldn't be an issue because Dynasty Warriors is a video game franchise and the characters are Koei-Tecmo's interpretation of their real life/novel counterparts. The only thing that would keep Sakurai from putting an actual person in there is if he doesn't have any source material to go off of and has to make his own version of that character.

Just because Dr Kawashima isn't playable doesn't mean it nulls any possibility of a character based on a real life person. If that were the case, why would he be in the game at all?

As for Hayabusa, that is pretty much up in the air right now. All 3 franchises have their merits (Ninja Gaiden being a recognizable IP & its NES origins, Dynasty Warriors spawning the Musou genre & being the biggest franchise KT owns, Nioh's recent success becoming the next major title for KT), but whichever franchise is chosen lies on both Nintendo and Sakurai. I don't believe Sakurai would dismiss any of the 3 if given the proposal.
It's just general issues that Sakurai might not want to deal with.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
He's referring to the fact that Mickey, Spiderman, and others owned by Disney hasn't entered the public domain yet because Disney keeps pushing for lawmakers to side with them.

I could go further with bribery and other things but I think we should probably just leave it at that.
Again, that's just playing the law for its loopholes. You can't break the law if you lobby the people that make them.

But this has no bearing on Nintendo, much less Smash, so you're right, this is getting really off-topic.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
It's just the general issues that would arise if he made a real person playable. Smash would essentially become open to non-video game content.
We have the video game version of a real person as an assist trophy.

Why not the video game version of a real person as a character?

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
It's just the general issues that would arise if he made a real person playable. Smash would essentially become open to non-video game content.
Those characters are so different from their real counterparts to begin with that it's just an in name only sort of thing.

I don't think they would care.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Hilarious. "Japanese players PREFER being ****ed over by microtransactions!"

Sure buddy.

Those characters are so different from their real counterparts to begin with that it's just an in name only sort of thing.
Also, a character being based on a real person doesn't make that character the real person...

Takahashi from Adventure Island is based on Toshiyuki Takahashi. Toshiyuki Takahashi does not run around jungles in a grass skirt...

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
https://twitter.com/JeffGrubb/status/1242965485307613184

I will just say this, if a Switch port of something heavily rumored like Catherine Full Body, Bioshock Collection, or X-Com 2 gets announced within the next week and its without a direct, I will believe one got delayed. Hell there are several signs that Star Wars Jedi Academy is getting released on Switch tomorrow and the port of its predecessor Jedi Outcast was announced in the September and released a week or two after that.

EDIT

Why did Arc System Works just respond to a 2018 tweet of Nintendo's?

https://twitter.com/ArcSystemWorksU/status/1243001528190824448

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
https://twitter.com/JeffGrubb/status/1242965485307613184

I will just say this, if a Switch port of something heavily rumored like Catherine Full Body, Bioshock Collection, or X-Com 2 gets announced within the next week and its without a direct, I will believe one got delayed. Hell there are several signs that Star Wars Jedi Academy is getting released on Switch tomorrow and the port of its predecessor Jedi Outcast was announced in the September and released a week or two after that.

EDIT

Why did Arc System Works just respond to a 2018 tweet of Nintendo's?

https://twitter.com/ArcSystemWorksU/status/1243001528190824448
The thing with Jedi Knight that is so weird is that it's not even listed on the US Eshop yet even though it drops tommorrow apparently? They have announced nothing about the Switch version but it got leaked on the Canadian eshop and was revealed to come out on PS4 tommorrow a couple days ago. It legitimately feels it was meant to be some kind of shadowdrop announcement, especially since they revealed Jedi Knight 2 last direct.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
The thing with Jedi Knight that is so weird is that it's not even listed on the US Eshop yet even though it drops tommorrow apparently? They have announced nothing about the Switch version but it got leaked on the Canadian eshop and was revealed to come out on PS4 tommorrow a couple days ago. It legitimately feels it was meant to be some kind of shadowdrop announcement, especially since they revealed Jedi Knight 2 last direct.
Not just that, it was also mentioned on Sony's PSN blog for what is going up on PSN this week, but that section of the blog quickly got pulled apparently. Its strange that Aspyre and Lucasfilms are quiet about this port release date especially since when they announced back in September they stated that unlike Jedi Outcast this port will also contain the multiplayer and have online play for both Switch and PS4.

Last time Nintendo had delayed a direct, back in September of 2018 there were a few things that got leaked as a result of that delayed such as the Mega Man 11 demo, Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition HD, and Civilization 6, so it will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow. Because all it takes is a couple of announcements or credible leaks to prove the idea one was delayed right.

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Remember in 2016 that Nintendo had posted at like 6:00PM PST that a trailer revealing for the NX would be posted the following day at 7:00AM PST? The fact this company pulled something like that telling us when a bloody console of all things is gonna be revealed like 13 hours before the trailer goes up. When you remember that suddenly the idea of a general direct getting shadow drop isn't all that crazy.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Remember in 2016 that Nintendo had posted at like 6:00PM PST that a trailer revealing for the NX would be posted the following day at 7:00AM PST? The fact this company pulled something like that telling us when a bloody console of all things is gonna be revealed like 13 hours before the trailer goes up. When you remember that suddenly the idea of a general direct getting shadow drop isn't all that crazy.
Ehhhhhhh, at best I think we're hoping for a Mini-Direct, I don't see them shadowdropping a general direct without some kind of announcement. It's just confusing to me WHY they would delay it if it was planned. I understand the circumstances obviously, but this also isn't something that's going away anytime soon, there would be no purpose to delaying the direct a week or two, so if there was meant to be a direct tommorrow, they might have outright nuked it, as much as I don't understand the reasoning behind doing so.

Last edited:

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I don't think the real Lu Bu was able to kill 1000s of soldiers at once with one swing of his weapon while having a Dragon Ball-esque aura around him and channeling power to create explosions while doing anime-esque backflips.

Exaggeration eys but if it did happen then real life is stranger than fiction. And really, Dynasty Warriors is in the same vein as Fate which gets brought up too: Use historical or mythological sources but are so distanced aside from necessary points that they're pretty much video game counterparts so thus they count.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Ehhhhhhh, at best I think we're hoping for a Mini-Direct, I don't see them shadowdropping a general direct without some kind of announcement. It's just confusing to me WHY they would delay it if it was planned. I understand the circumstances obviously, but this also isn't something that's going away anytime soon, there would be no purpose to delaying the direct a week or two, so if there was meant to be a direct tommorrow, they might have outright nuked it, as much as I don't understand the reasoning behind doing so.
I think if we are getting a direct tomorrow, Nintendo might post the countdown to it on youtube and tell us its gonna air in a few hours, but yeah I think a mini is more likely if we are gonna get one, like I had just rewatched the one from 2018 a few minutes ago and its about 15 minutes and like 90% of it was ports and dlc, so getting a 20 minute mini that is just mostly that is far more likely then a general 40 minute one tomorrow.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Dracula is based on Vlad III and he's still in Smash.

Treating historical figures like original characters isn't anything uncommon in video games. I don't see how it can be a problem.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So let me get this straight before I head to bed. We are going for a hail mary surprise mini direct or same day announcment and show direct tommorow? otherwise we don' see anything till april?

Is it possible that maybe the general direct announcement is tommorow and the direct friday? he got the dates mixed up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom