• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
  • Alien biome stages, something we lack in Smash
"Elma comes with a new stage known as Primordia. It takes place on a few rocky arches overlooking a grassy plain. It may sound like a copy & paste of Gaur Plain, but I assure you it's very different; this stage has a weird bug dinosaur thing in the background for some reason."

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
the reason Elma won't get in is because Sakurai has no idea how to make her playable. two guns and two swords? totally beyond him. blank stare. assistants keep coming up with suggestions but he just looks bewildered at the concepts they're describing like shooting while sliding (sliding... slinger? what's slinging? slinging what?). they try putting a wii u tablet in his hand and getting him to play xenoblade x but he keeps acting confused like he doesn't know how the two screens work. whenever someone brings up that he made a game for the Wii U he puts his fingers in his ears and pretends not to hear. eventually they give up and suggest maybe a different Xenoblade character could work, like Fiora or Rex, at which point he pulls out his 500 page fighter design proposal on Rex and Pyra which goes includes precise details like how well defined rex's butt should be with several pages of screenshots he took while playing XC2 that he uses as evidence and which of the salvager's codes should be victory quotes (#1, 54 and 178 are his picks)

so you see there's just really no way Elma could be playable. he's never had to reject a character for lack of ideas before, but there really wasn't anything he could do in this case. unfortunate.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
"Elma comes with a new stage known as Primordia. It takes place on a few rocky arches overlooking a grassy plain. It may sound like a copy & paste of Gaur Plain, but I assure you it's very different; this stage has a weird bug dinosaur thing in the background for some reason."
4/10 not Hayreddin the Territorial :secretkpop:

real talk tho. SYLVALUM. that would be dope

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
assistants keep coming up with suggestions but he just looks bewildered at the concepts they're describing like shooting while sliding (sliding... slinger? what's slinging? slinging what?).
I have the solution! Tell him that she can use Heel Slide.

real talk tho. SYLVALUM. that would be dope
A Sylvalum stage would be so pretty. I'd have to play with the hazards off though. I prefer not getting attacked by Sacrifoles, Germivores, and everything else under the sun every 5 seconds. I also like being able to see things 100% of the time. :4pacman:

Personally, I hope for a traveling stage, either a stage that flies across Mira, or some sort of holodeck that simulates the environment of various notable areas in each continent.

But have you considered that she's not a cute redhead with short hair?
That is true, but we've got Ganondorf, so it's ok.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I like how this ‘make your own fighters pass using these three’ didn’t even start off as a game (insert better name here) but it has turned into one.

Just to clarify I’m not trying to deter anyone from doing it, in fact by all means do it as I’d rather encourage it I just pretty funny.

Nice to discuss who people want as a community coming to discuss during the times we are going through.

KillerCage

Smash Master

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Fans would be salty if Elma got in instead of Rex/Pyra.
I wouldn't be salty but I'd definitely be a little disappointed, NGL.

XCX might be a great game but I have no real attachment to it since I've yet to play it (port it to Switch already, dammit). XC2, however flawed it may be, is one of my favorite games of all time and I loved the main cast.

D

Deleted member

The design itself isn't too bad. People probably hate it mainly because it's a re-design / re-imagining but with literally zero element referencing the original ...

... or people simply hate it because Act Zero was a hot mess.
Act Zero's design is just bad because it's a massive tonal shift. Bro looks like he belongs in Killer Instinct than Bomberman.

Last edited by a moderator:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I don't get why there is hostility between Rex and Elma fans, they should find common ground in the fact that neither one of them are getting in. Xenoblade X is too old, Xenoblade 2 came too late, and both lost to the newest Fire Emblem protagonist

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
I don't get why there is hostility between Rex and Elma fans, they should find common ground in the fact that neither one of them are getting in. Xenoblade X is too old, Xenoblade 2 came too late, and both lost to the newest Fire Emblem protagonist
Each character would 99% deconfirm the other -- and the chances for either are slim as-is.

On another note, after bingeing Eternal I now want doom slayer 10x more

D

Deleted member

People respectfully disagree with one another.

Wynn: "What's with this hostility!"

I guess a good balance for pass 2 would be
2 fan requests (like Banjo)
2 popular characters (like Hero/Dragon Quest rep)
2 unexpected characters (like Joker and Terry)
Fan Requests:
  • Geno
  • Isaac
Popular
  • Master Chief
  • Sora
Unexpected
  • Bomberman
  • Hat Kid

osby

Smash Obsessed
This was your daily reminder from wynn that the latest Fire Emblem protagonist is indeed playable in Smash and this somehow has something to do with the current conversation.

D

Deleted member

INB4 both Elma and Rex & Pyra/Mythra lose to Fiora because Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition is the new hotness within the Xeno series.
In before we get Xenogears instead as a retro series and get Fei Fong Wong.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
To be honest, if you look at this from the perspective of the Nintendo staff who are choosing the DLC, I don't think there's much going for Elma or Rex.

It's a shame, because I wouldn't mind XC getting another character, but the only game coming out in the foreseeable future is a remake, and I don't think they'll go out of their way to promote a remake with a character.

Renmazuo

Smash Cadet
laughs then cries in Square Enix Forgetting Xenogears Exists
Forgetting it exists? Concerts, figures, occasional reprints of Perfect Works, appearances in SE crossover games like World of Final Fantasy and Brave Exvius, and more importantly, actually making the game available for digital purchase.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
You know, if they added a Xenogears or Xenosaga character I wonder what they'd do in terms of their series classification. They're technically from the same series as Shulk but it'd be kind of disingenuous to call the series as a whole the Xenoblade Chronicles series. They also have nothing to do with the Monado so it'd kinda be weird to have it be their series emblem...

I guess my question is would they change the name of Shulk's series to the "Xeno" series and change the emblem to...something else, or would they just say that the Xenogears/Xenosaga is from an entirely different series?

To be honest, if you look at this from the perspective of the Nintendo staff who are choosing the DLC, I don't think there's much going for Elma or Rex.

It's a shame, because I wouldn't mind XC getting another character, but the only game coming out in the foreseeable future is a remake, and I don't think they'll go out of their way to promote a remake with a character.
Yeah they're more likely to promote the Isle of Armour with a character than Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition. The only way I see a Xenoblade Chronicles character being added is if they make a Xenoblade Chronicles X remastered thingy since they'd really want something like that to do well.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
For one second I thought you made a nice and helpful comment which would contribute to the discussion. Then you ruined it again.

osby

Smash Obsessed
You know, if they added a Xenogears or Xenosaga character I wonder what they'd do in terms of their series classification. They're technically from the same series as Shulk but it'd be kind of disingenuous to call the series as a whole the Xenoblade Chronicles series. They also have nothing to do with the Monado so it'd kinda be weird to have it be their series emblem...

I guess my question is would they change the name of Shulk's series to the "Xeno" series and change the emblem to...something else, or would they just say that the Xenogears/Xenosaga is from an entirely different series?
Or you know, they can just call it Xenogears/Xenosaga and give it its own emblem.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Yeah they're more likely to promote the Isle of Armour with a character than Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition. The only way I see a Xenoblade Chronicles character being added is if they make a Xenoblade Chronicles X remastered thingy since they'd really want something like that to do well.
That's honestly my dream, and they might since Xenoblade DE is for all intents and purposes a remake, not a remaster. Some mechanics are being changed, the graphics are drastically redone, and they said porting X would be difficult. Remaking it, on the other hand...

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Or you know, they can just call it Xenogears/Xenosaga and give it its own emblem.
That's what I meant by classifying it as an entirely different series (even though they're technically not. I think?). It's probably the more realistic option anyway. Even if it is inaccurate, that hasn't stopped them before. (The PAC-MAN and Fatal Fury series represent their companies as a whole and Final Fantasy VII and Persona 5 are the games, not the series.)

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Guys, I just got some word from my trustworthy source. They say every other source is lying and is wrong. They say the entire pass is delayed, except for FP6. Who happens to be
39C89CD8-CA81-4D34-B5C9-A15251515BD8.jpeg

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
That's what I meant by classifying it as an entirely different series (even though they're technically not. I think?). It's probably the more realistic option anyway. Even if it is inaccurate, that hasn't stopped them before. (The PAC-MAN and Fatal Fury series represent their companies as a whole and Final Fantasy VII and Persona 5 are the games, not the series.)
They technically ARE different series.

You can't make ties or continuations to a game series you don't own own. This is why we got Dark Souls and not Demon Souls 2.

As for the series logo, there's always the infamous Zohar. Even when they left, they liked it so much they used the basic shape in XCX and XC2 and retroactively put it in XC.
Zohar.png

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Wasn’t really any hostility. And it would be nice if you at least tried to not to make yourself sound as superior as you do.

Were you saying this stuff before Banjo was announced? To be frank you probably did. That would suggest that these characters you declare are totally set in stone aren’t as set in stone as you may have once thought

Renmazuo

Smash Cadet
That's what I meant by classifying it as an entirely different series (even though they're technically not. I think?).
They are different series as they are different IPs owned by different companies.

However some people (like me) prefer to think of them as a pseudo series as they were created by the same people and have lots of elements in common (about as many as any two given mainline FF titles or more, to use an example).

Not everyone likes this view though and these conversations usually turn ugly so that's all I have to say about it.

Mr. Game + Watch

Smash Apprentice
I guess a good balance for pass 2 would be
2 fan requests (like Banjo)
2 popular characters (like Hero/Dragon Quest rep)
2 unexpected characters (like Joker and Terry)
Fan requests:
Waluigi
Geno
Popular characters:
Doomguy
Master chief
Unexpected characters but also my wants that are not big in speculation:
Crazy Dave
Dig dug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom